Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bring sand to magma or magma to sand  (Read 2059 times)

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bring sand to magma or magma to sand
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:01:28 pm »

Soo, for my desert glass tower i need an effective glass block production,
im in the planning phase for this intended megaproject.
the only snag thats left is the production of green glass blocks.
for it to be effective i would need the sand to be close to my forges.
forges run by fuel is out of the question since its a pretty large quantity of blocks that needs to be produced.

so, should i bring the sand to the magma ( by using a epic cavein )
or should i get the magma to the sand ( by use of a pump stack )

cavein method would be way faster to pull of, but it would leave a rather ugly hole right through the earth, and if im unlucky ill breach the caves with the hole

pumping magma would be nice since it also would give me a obsidian factory and magma to the tower but it would use up an awesome amount of work for the pumps so production  of the tower itself would be halted

any other approaches that im not aware of?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Bring sand to magma or magma to sand
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:12:29 pm »

Flip a coin.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »

if your willing to do a cavein use the new way to pump magma to the surface, cave in the magma sea and bring magma to you like that
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:19:49 pm »

I wonder if, in game, sand turn to glass when you cover it with magma  :-\ Would be neat.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »

It will take far less time to bring the magma up to your sand than to wait for your dwarves to carry up thousands of glass blocks from the basement of your fortress to the surface.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

I agree that the magma piston method is probly the best, since you only need enough magma tiles to power a bunch of glass forges.  Its much less micro and doesn't require a metal industry for pump parts. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:24 pm »

Build the pump stack...

That way you can make the elves unhappy...

I'm thinking glass tree full of ash and covered in magma...

And when you done with that you can use extra magma pumped up to power larger glass production facility, or support a metal industry.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 04:39:07 pm »

dump bags of sand down a hole to the magma initially, that way you can use that sand to start building glass pumps for the pump stack
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 05:16:28 pm »

How far down is your magma sea?

Collecting the sand at the surface and hauling the bags down shouldn't take that long. Even 100 z-levels would only be about half the length of a 4x4 embark square.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 06:02:42 pm »

I would build the pump stack. It's a one-time investment to be more efficient forever. If you want to get started faster you can always set up a deep facility, then build the pump stack, then switch to the shallower facility.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:18 pm »

Spreading this around because I didn't know it too long ago

If you drop a soil layer, it will turn into the soil type of the lowest soil layer it passed through

Same with stone so:

Sand
White sand
Clay
Loam
Dolomite
Dolomite
Marble
And you drop the sand down to Marble it would turn into Loam.  If you dropped dolomite down to marble it would turn into marble.

I'd look up the bug tracker thing but I'm lazy :P
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:40 pm »

Bring magma to sand. A guy in a recent story megaproject found that dropping a wall into a liquid teleports the liquid on top of the wall. You know what to do.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »

Bring the magma to the sand.  I recently caved-in a 5x5 block o sand to the 2nd cavern (which happened to have a magma pipe to boot) only to have it become loamy sand due to a bug with cave-ins...

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:23:24 pm »

Speaking of building a giant pump stack for brining magma up...

In my fort I'm going to pump magma from the magma sea up to make an undersea volcano erupt & make an obsidian island for my dwarves to live on.  So I need about 80 pumps.

Now, the problem with a normal pump stack is you need to leave a channeled floor tile at each level for the power to transmit, but you can't build the pump unless the one beneath it is there to support it.  IIRC either you can't designate it or you can but it will break after it's built, unless the one under it gets built in time, which it never does.  Actually I can't quite remember for sure why building a pump stack requires the frustrating micromanagement, but I know that it does.

So what I've done is I've not channeled any squares and I've built pumped on just the even numbered Z levels first.  Now that those pumps are finished, I'm going to channel just the odd numbered floors above them.  I can then build all the odd numbered pumps, and just power one of every pair of pumps from a vertical axle.  Like this (side view):

Code: [Select]
|
 *=P
 | P
 *=P
 | P
 *=P
 | P
 *=P
 |

If I had only thought to build every fourth pump first, so that there are groups of four pumps with channels, I could have done this:

Code: [Select]
|
 *=P
   P
   P
   P=*
   P=*
   P
   P
 *=P
 *=P
   P
   P
   P=*
   P=*
   P
   P
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:40 am »

If you drop a soil layer, it will turn into the soil type of the lowest soil layer it passed through

This.

If your lowest soil layer isn't sand, you can never drop sand down to your magma. More importantly, if you're building a tower, you want everything at the surface. Magma, sand, everything. Every step you save counts.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."
Pages: [1] 2