Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way of changing what sand looks like?  (Read 788 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any way of changing what sand looks like?
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:22 am »

I can't stand having sand the same tile as water, it just doesn't sit with me, yet most embark sites have sand of some kind. Is there any way of changing the sand tile to have . , ' like normal soil? If there isn't, is there a way of generating a world with less sand?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way of changing what sand looks like?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »

You can change the tiles for water instead by setting [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:YES] in your init, which is useful anyway.
Otherwise: Looking at the soil raws, I suspect the [SOIL_SAND] tag probably makes sand have sand floor tiles, so if you removed it, I bet you'd have sand floors look like other dirt floors, but you would no longer be able to use it for glassmaking.
Usually people ask about getting more sand on their site or adding [SOIL_SAND] to everything...
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

Sand's appearance bugs me, and the idea of some of my fortress layers being built out of sand strikes me as really rather undwarflike. I've never actually tried glassmaking, I've always been more of a gems/precious metals kind of person. Is glass particularly valuable then?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:17 pm »

You could probably make a tileset that only changes the double ~ to something else, but then every double ~ will look like that (mostly blood and vomit puddles and some embark screen tiles).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »

I think glass is pretty valuable, but I never bother with it either.

I don't think you can change the look of sand floors besides having either a tileset or changing the water to numbers as mentioned above, but you might be able to remove sand from the game (requires a new worldgen, obviously).

I'm not sure if worldgen has issues with needing to put soil layers over things, or not, or if you could add soil tags to stone or something to get around that, but mess with it a bit FOR SCIENCE.  Back up your raws and start messing with it. 

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:03 pm »

Glass has many advantages:
1. Green glass can be produced in endless amounts, and clear glass production is only limited by your access to coal.
2. It's moderately valuable (green glass is the equivalent of obsidian) and very versatile (combining most or all uses of stone and gems with some uses of wood).
3. It can be used to train your gem cutter and setter to legendary +5 without wasting any precious stones in the process.

Accordingly, if gem working is your thing, then I really recommend setting up a glass industry. The main synergy here is the above mentioned usability of glass for jeweler training.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

Adding to that list, some moods demand green glass (Raw).  I also like to emphasize the infinite amount, I build whole fortress out of glass, the roads out of glass, the bridges out of glass, the nobles rooms out of clear glass.  I pave over a whole 64x64x5 with glass.

A team of 6 legendary +5 glassmakers puts out glass about the same time a team of 30 can gather it.  :3
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

That's a good point, mate.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 02:57:58 pm »

1. Green glass can be produced in endless amounts, and clear glass production is only limited by your access to coal.
2. It's moderately valuable (green glass is the equivalent of obsidian) and very versatile (combining most or all uses of stone and gems with some uses of wood).

1. Clear glass requires pearlash, which you can only get by burning wood to ashes and processing it at an ashery and kiln; coal is only good as fuel.
2. Green glass has value 2 (equal to flux), not 3 (obsidian). Clear glass has value 5, better than any type of stone (excluding ores).

Otherwise, pretty much spot on. If you've wood (and sand) in sufficiently large quantities, make a clear glass megaconstruction or two.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:10 pm »

The easiest thing to do to simply introduce a difference is to set fluids to display depth numbers rather than the icon. Probably not what you had in mind, but hey, it makes it look different.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 03:54:34 am »

1. Clear glass requires pearlash, which you can only get by burning wood to ashes and processing it at an ashery and kiln; coal is only good as fuel.
2. Green glass has value 2 (equal to flux), not 3 (obsidian). Clear glass has value 5, better than any type of stone (excluding ores).

Close enough for me. I never paid much attention to the value of my building materials anyway, which is probably why I thought green glass was worth more.