Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ramp Help  (Read 1017 times)

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ramp Help
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:23:03 am »

Lower
####X
XR##X
XXDDX

Upper
####X
X.##X
XXDDX

X=wall
#=floor
.=open space
R=ramp up

In the above example, would that ramp work?  I've read the wiki article many but I am not 100% on this.  I am hoping the ramp could run N/S with the "top" of it touching north.  I think have seen dwarves enter ramps from the side, even though in my example the bottom of the ramp would be against the south wall.

Thanks for the help!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: Ramp Help
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:34:06 am »

I'd also like to know. Ramps don't behave the way I expect them to pretty often.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:35:51 am »

your question is, "are ramps accessible from any direction"?

If so, yes, your example will work. If not, I don't understand your problem.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:47:01 am »

Afaik it will work. Don't see why you wouldn't make a stair instead  though.

Joishi

• Bay Watcher
  • Joishi has withdrawn from society!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:01 am »

AFAIK, ramps can work in any direction as long as you have at least one WALL next to the ramp on the lower level, and the top of that same wall mined out on the upper level.  Your example does not have that requirement, so I'd say it wouldn't work.

But I don't try to do anything exceptionally tricky with ramps, so I could be wrong.  Pretty sure it won't work though.

lower:
###
#RX <---- wall next to ramp
###

upper:
###
#.#   <---- mined out above wall
###

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:04 am »

AFAIK, ramps can work in any direction as long as you have at least one WALL next to the ramp on the lower level, and the top of that same wall mined out on the upper level.  Your example does not have that requirement, so I'd say it wouldn't work.

Your example I'd consider the normal way.  That's how I'd usually do it.  For space and balance reasons I'd like it exactly where it is, if possible.

I tend to think you're right that it won't work.  Judging by the wiki, the only way to change the direction of the ramp is via the lower level wall.  So in essence my example is E-W and that makes it exactly like Example A in the wiki, aka the unusable ramp.

Afaik it will work. Don't see why you wouldn't make a stair instead  though.

Ramps are slightly faster.  Stairs are a 2 step process, whereas ramps are 1 (you're essentially on both levels at the same time).

Joishi

• Bay Watcher
  • Joishi has withdrawn from society!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 11:45:14 am »

Your example I'd consider the normal way.  That's how I'd usually do it.  For space and balance reasons I'd like it exactly where it is, if possible.

I tend to think you're right that it won't work.  Judging by the wiki, the only way to change the direction of the ramp is via the lower level wall.  So in essence my example is E-W and that makes it exactly like Example A in the wiki, aka the unusable ramp.

What I meant when I said "ramps can work in any direction" was that I don't think the game actually defines ramps as being "e-w" or "n-s" .. I think there is simply a ramp, and a dwarf can depart onto ANY upper level tile as long as there is a wall next to the ramp on the lower level.

I've seen some people maintain that stairs have 10 entry/exit-ways and ramps have 9, but I'd maintain that ramps have at most 8, seeing as how every upper-level exit must have a corresponding wall on the lower level.  However, in terms of path testing, I suppose it's possible ramps might have to exert more TESTS than stairs would?  Not 100% sure on that, though.  I've converted from using stairs to a ramp spiral on my forts, and I haven't noticed any FPS increase.  But, again, I've never done any wild crazy pathing in my forts.

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

What I meant when I said "ramps can work in any direction" was that I don't think the game actually defines ramps as being "e-w" or "n-s" .. I think there is simply a ramp, and a dwarf can depart onto ANY upper level tile as long as there is a wall next to the ramp on the lower level.

I'm not an expert, so I was going by what the wiki said in the "Using Ramps" section (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Ramp), specifically the part about the ramp's direction and changing it to make Example A work by altering the "direction that the ramp flows".

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:34:38 pm »

If it doesn't work (I don't think it will), you don't need to redesign your whole corner to fix it, just build an extra single wall on the lower level next to the ramp.  So then you have a wall on the lower level with a floor over it.

Lower
#X##X
XR##X
XXDDX

Upper
####X
X.##X
XXDDX[/font]

X=wall
#=floor
.=open space
R=ramp up

Or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:36:40 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 12:40:15 pm »

It definitely won't work. Ramps are considered to slope up toward all adjacent walls, and a dwarf standing on one can only move up onto the tops of those walls.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 12:45:10 pm »

It definitely won't work. Ramps are considered to slope up toward all adjacent walls, and a dwarf standing on one can only move up onto the tops of those walls.

That makes sense, and is easy to visualize. 

Thanks for all the info everyone!  Looks like stairs it is.