Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A dwarf with a curious profession just arrived at my fort.  (Read 2628 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A dwarf with a curious profession just arrived at my fort.
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

Hi again!

Got another question I hope  you guys don't mind. Here's the current state of my fort. I'm working on something of a secret dwarf megaproject or something. It's quite large and it's taking up 50 dwarves of man dwarfpower nonstop. All my mining and any dwarves I don't necesarely need for survival of my fort are working on it, as a result I haven't had time for much else.

Recently though I've had an immigrant come to my fort with the profession of strand extraction. He's quite good at it. I know from reading the wiki (to much perhaps  :-X) that this skill relates to metal x. Won't ruin the spoiler for those who don't know metal x. Anyway through....erh....creative use of the magmashaft and pit designation for useless kittens I've discovered metal x without ever digging down. Haven't even breached the first caverns yet.

Now though with the appearance of this dwarf and my knowledge of the whereabouts of metal x....I ask you should I start mining metal x and begin processing immediatly?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarf with a curious profession just arrived at my fort.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:08 am »

I would say yes!
Do mine some layers to have the X for experiments with weapons and armor.
 ;) - Just don't dig too deep or too greedy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:31:35 pm »

Wait. What is metal x. you mean adamantine? I think that strand extraction has something to do with clothing.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:46:13 pm »

Wait. What is metal x. you mean adamantine? I think that strand extraction has something to do with clothing.
no, strand extraction is how you get Adamantine out of Raw Adamantine.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:03:36 pm »

*Facepalm*
Ah, the art of being discreet, not for some.

It makes rock x in x strands, which you then smelt in to x wafers which make x armor/weapons.
x strands can be used to make clothing.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:40:32 pm »

Smooth dude, they will never crack your code!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »

Does it show that (when your choosing an embark place) that admantine is there as it does with example sand, limestone and other materials? Also the materials that it shows on the embark screen is that just the most common ones? I've been playing dwarf fortress for X years yet I have never found admantine. I found admantine monsters heh... Not the easiest to defeat, even more so when they have bonuses such as poisonous sting or vapours expelling from it's mouths...yes mouths 

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 09:11:45 pm »

Does it show that (when your choosing an embark place) that admantine is there as it does with example sand, limestone and other materials?

Ordinarily no. If there's some on the surface, I suppose it might. I've never found a spot with adamantine on the surface, but I know others have.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 09:16:02 pm »

Adamantine is EVERYWHERE in 31.xx. It's impossible to find a place that does not have any. Now the [redacted] on the other hand is quite a bit harder to find...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:19:52 pm »

actually, it is possible, if you embark on a 2x2 fort, there's a change you won't find any.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 09:23:37 pm »

Really? Is there any other way through the magma sea?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:34:06 pm »

Really? Is there any other way through the magma sea?

Spoilers follow! If you're worried about spoilers and still reading this thread, you are being a silly.

TECHNICALLY, no, but sometimes when there is a large continental elevation change at the border between two region chunks or maybe just two local region map tiles, sometimes the underground isn't joined up perfectly and there will be a huge gaping wound in the magma, which enables it to drain into the demon realm and may even result in your cavern 3 being exposed to the magma sea and demon realm by default. If you embark and get unnaturally low FPS for the region, this is the likely cause.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:35:50 pm »

Adamantine is EVERYWHERE in 31.xx. It's impossible to find a place that does not have any. Now the [redacted] on the other hand is quite a bit harder to find...
Stone s?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 11:59:10 am »

actually, it is possible, if you embark on a 2x2 fort, there's a change you won't find any.

Afaik the largest size not garaunteed to have adamantine is 3x3.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »

I bet you wouldn't get any with a 1x1.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: [1] 2