Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing down stairs  (Read 892 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Removing down stairs
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:00 am »

I know the channel on them workaround, but is their any other way? channeling makes a whole in the floor above so id prefer to find another way

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Removing down stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:20 am »

Sorry, but there's no way to remove the stairs without either covering over it with floors or walls, or channeling it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:15:10 am »

Sorry, but there's no way to remove the stairs without either covering over it with floors or walls, or channeling it.

bleh the answering i was expecting and not hoping for, doesnt make much sense as theirs a remove up stairs designation. but whatevs

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:19:25 am »

bleh the answering i was expecting and not hoping for, doesnt make much sense as theirs a remove up stairs designation. but whatevs
It makes sense to me. Think about the difference between digging a stair up and digging a stair down. Digging a stair down leaves a hole with the stairs downward. Digging a stair upwards leaves the floor intact. Removing an upward stair (Remove up stair) leaves the floor. Removing a downward stair (Channeling) leaves a hole.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:21:40 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:21:40 am »

It makes sense to me. Think about the difference between digging a stair up and digging a stair down. Digging a stair down leaves a hole with the stairs downward. Digging a stair upwards leaves the floor intact. Removing an upward stair leaves the floor. Removing a downward stair leaves a hole.

??? how does digging stairs up not make a hole?

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:21:47 am »

If you need to, though, you can b>C construct the stairs, when they're removed that way, they don't leave a hole, and dwarves will remove them from the bottom.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:25:04 am »

It makes sense to me. Think about the difference between digging a stair up and digging a stair down. Digging a stair down leaves a hole with the stairs downward. Digging a stair upwards leaves the floor intact. Removing an upward stair leaves the floor. Removing a downward stair leaves a hole.

It should be obvious. Think of stairs in real life. Digging a stair down means you have to dig though the floor. Digging a stair up has you digging around the to-be stairs. Leaving the floor intact.

EDIT: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:DF_Terraform.PNG

Notice how mining an up stair leaves the floor.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:34:30 am by Tarran »

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:49:25 am »

It should be obvious. Think of stairs in real life. Digging a stair down means you have to dig though the floor. Digging a stair up has you digging around the to-be stairs. Leaving the floor intact.

Ingame i know it doesnt disturb the floor above.. but if u build stairs up in real life, u assume they lead somewhere ala an upper floor which means their has to be a hole for them

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 02:59:55 am »

Ingame i know it doesnt disturb the floor above.. but if u build stairs up in real life, u assume they lead somewhere ala an upper floor which means their has to be a hole for them
Digging upward stairs doesn't have to dig a hole into the above level. Miners could avoid digging into the floor above and still dig the stair out if they wanted to. The up stair isn't a "finished" stair set. Just the steps. The ceiling is left for the down stairs.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:02:36 am by Tarran »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:21 am »

You obviously haven't been to the Winchester Mystery House:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!