Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17321 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:36 am »

It bothers me to have a hallway between my central staircase and my rooms, so I like to have the staircase be IN the room. However, this annoys me, so I tend to have 4 staircases- one in each corner- with a 10x10 room on each floor (except housing).
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2010, 01:42:50 pm »

What about surnames and children? Do you make family webs visible?

Yeah, I've been trying to decide the best approach there.  So far I've been using lower-case initials, same letter as the parents.  Kinda seems like they should be the next letter along in the alphabet, though.  I also thought about counting back from Z, or using double letters or something.  Open to ideas.

Also, Therapist can sort your Dorfs by migration wave pretty accurately (it treats kids as a separate wave).

I've never gotten around to trying it (or any other third-party tools).  Because I'm lazy, I'll ask here -- does it work with the current version?  What about on Linux?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2010, 01:44:58 pm »

Fair enough. I think constructed walls really need to be engravable...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »

Kinda seems like they should be the next letter along in the alphabet, though.  I also thought about counting back from Z, or using double letters or something.  Open to ideas.

Naming dorfs became too tedious for me, but once you start you just... cant ... stop..!

Anyway. What I wanted to say was that I took people and decided to name their children like ... one family had asian names or asian-inspired names only, depending on their preferences. (likes swords? your name is Bushido!)
 another family was nature-related. (wants to be alone most of the time? you shall be known as LONEWOLF!) etcetera ... but in reality I had a very fertile fort and it became difficult as hell to work with this after a while.

It was fun and personal but god DAMN did it become tedious. especially since i didn't have any pop cap
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:07 pm »

I like limestone. I'll scour the map for a nice embark area with limestone...

I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, BECAUSE NOW I HAVE TO DO THIS TOO.
*Grumbles*

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »

I like limestone. I'll scour the map for a nice embark area with limestone...

I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, BECAUSE NOW I HAVE TO DO THIS TOO.
*Grumbles*

That's a quirk of mine that the 2010 version helps with: finding - just - the - right embark site. At least now there's always magma and HFS. Still have to hunt around for sand. And some aboveground trees. And aboveground water. Ah well..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:56 pm »

Well, it gets easier as you learn where to look. After a while, you always go to the same geographical areas. I for one just speed around the border where mountains meet forest/grassland/etc until I hit limestone (THANKS A LOT, SNOOK.) Then I follow the limestone "vein" as it were until I get at least a layer or two of soil, and bingo, that's the spot.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2010, 08:49:19 pm »

I like to have some source of sand in every fort. I've only had one glassless fort get anywhere, and that one was eventually killed when I opened 40d's HFS, got tentacle demons, and Dig Deeper's modded orc race (building destroyers!) prisoners escaped into my fortress, kicked down my statue garden and archery ranges, and a lot of my most important dwarves refused to leave their rooms.

On the other hand, the military ripped those tentacle demons to shreds. 2 casualties in total.

But anyway. I like glass. especially green glass.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2010, 10:56:26 pm »

I'm also adamant about my fortress looking good; if I misdig a tile or two and make my waterfall entrance/dining room/whatever look awkward or accidentally hit an offshoot from the cave river in 23a, I flail about in frustration.
I usually just build walls to even-out the room. Although, I'm on the list for a succession game where one of the rules "no straight lines".... everything has to be 'organic'. It's going to push my OCD to its limits.

Somehow that is among the most horrifying things I've heard of in DF to date... a fortress whose insides are as twisted and madening as the minds of its inhabitants...

In my fortresses... let's see...

Native-born dwarves are treated as higher than nobility or legendaries, and are the only ones allowed to engrave. Farmis *always* include a greenhouse, which is *always* made with green glass. If possible, the entrance will be made into a sheer cliff with a chasm that needs a drawbridge over it, even if it means spending a season or two sculpting the mountain before I dig it; flat planes are alright, but eventually will require an above-ground constructed fort just to make the hole look nice. Symmetry caves to function in most of the fort- especially the farm areas, where the related industries are so complicated I have little mazes of connected rooms and stockyards- but tombs *must* be perfeclty symetrical, completely smoothed, with every dwarf getting at least a 2x2 room, pets getting an alcove, etc. No tomb gets engraved until after it is occupied, and *nothing* else may be built on the tomb level, except for staircases and water/magma pipes. The nobles get their own area of the map, very spacious, and with almost the same design standards as tombs (symmetry, everything fitting together); these will always be seperate from the rest of the base via lockable door, and include, towards the center, a number of lever-controlled cages containing all prisoners of war, to be released in a semi-anual hunt. Who hunts who depends on how good the catch was, that year.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:11:15 pm by FreakyCheeseMan »
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »

In general, all of my workshops and similar (furnaces, trade depot) go in their own rooms with a 1-tile border around the building, so workshops go in 5x5 rooms and the trade depot goes in a 7x7 room. The workshops have one entrance each, so I can set down a door or a cage trap to deal with any berserk dwarves.

Also, I prefer to smooth everything, but I don't like engravings. They're too visually busy, so I leave them to a few select areas where I know they will be appreciated.
This.

I hate how engravings look, but I love reading the engravings.  I end up putting the engravings all over the place except for the areas I want to look fancy, because constructed and smoothed walls/floors look SO MUCH BETTER AND CLEANER.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »

In general, all of my workshops and similar (furnaces, trade depot) go in their own rooms with a 1-tile border around the building, so workshops go in 5x5 rooms and the trade depot goes in a 7x7 room. The workshops have one entrance each, so I can set down a door or a cage trap to deal with any berserk dwarves.

Also, I prefer to smooth everything, but I don't like engravings. They're too visually busy, so I leave them to a few select areas where I know they will be appreciated.
This.

I hate how engravings look, but I love reading the engravings.  I end up putting the engravings all over the place except for the areas I want to look fancy, because constructed and smoothed walls/floors look SO MUCH BETTER AND CLEANER.

Turn off "Display Engravings"- they get their own quite nice, smooth style, a little less spartan than just smoothed, but much, much more elegant than visible.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2010, 11:59:23 pm »

This.

Turn off "Display Engravings"- they get their own quite nice, smooth style, a little less spartan than just smoothed, but much, much more elegant than visible.
Nah, because then it's white on grey.  You miss the contrast and cleanliness of the bare walls.  I've tried it, it's just not the same.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2010, 12:12:41 am »

Are the people complaining about engraved walls using the default tileset?

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2010, 12:21:10 am »

I always at least kill one of my miners by drowning him with underground water sources.
I love watching the water flow
And the dwarf dying
its all fun
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2010, 01:50:14 am »

I agree, the color-on-black of smoothed walls seems superior to the color-on-offwhite of engraved and toggled walls.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10