Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17328 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2010, 07:36:21 am »

I hate engraving the floor. I'm like "why do I have to engrave the floor? isn't this room ENOUGH extravagant you goddamned noble??" .. I hate it because with the walls and floor engraved I find it hard to see where the rooms begin and end. It's not pretty.

Also I hate it when there's an engraved wall that's 1 square thick. Because people can see the engraving from both sides and that plain doesn't make sense to me.

FYI, you can use a designation (I forget which option; just look through the designation menus) to obscure the engravings, so they aren't displayed using the art image's tile anymore. There's also an option in the init file to switch the default state to this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 07:42:59 am »

The .ini option doesn't work right for me, but the designation is [d] -> [v]. And boy, did that one ever make life easier in the sleeping quarters :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2010, 08:52:17 am »

I hate engraving the floor. I'm like "why do I have to engrave the floor? isn't this room ENOUGH extravagant you goddamned noble??" .. I hate it because with the walls and floor engraved I find it hard to see where the rooms begin and end. It's not pretty.

Also I hate it when there's an engraved wall that's 1 square thick. Because people can see the engraving from both sides and that plain doesn't make sense to me.

FYI, you can use a designation (I forget which option; just look through the designation menus) to obscure the engravings, so they aren't displayed using the art image's tile anymore. There's also an option in the init file to switch the default state to this.

ah ... i actually used that option before.

Somehow it completely slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

KitsuneStudios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2010, 09:28:25 am »

I always use a series of 5-wide hallways with a row of columns in the center

+++++==+===+===+===+==+++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+X+X+++++++++++++++++++X+X+
++O++O+++O+++O+++O+++O++O++
+X+X+++++++++++++++++++X+X+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++==+===+===+===+==+++++

The craftsman's hall is exactly that layout in all directions in a stone layer. 4x4 series of individually walled workshops and a central stockpile. It bothered me a lot to put in bedrooms, until I found a nice shaft fractal pattern that only requred narrowing the halls surrounding it by 1.

It just takes forever to preplan the fort so that all the stairwells line up properly. That said, I'e been messing with this a little more now that I have to take cavers into account. Nothing like digging your stairwell into the middle of a gaping pit, and having giant bats flying directly into the trade depot.

(edit: uh, too hot, proofreading section of brain has meltered)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:47:03 am by KitsuneStudios »

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2010, 03:23:08 pm »

Seperate piles for:

seeds
plants (later on subdivided to brew, process, mill)
drinks
processed/milled plants and meat/fish
prepared meals

different types of stone (or rather, quantum dumping-piles)
shell
bone (can't do this in 2010  :'()

also
symmetry
big living quarters (fighting this in the current fort, made 4x1 living pods instead :O)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2010, 03:32:58 pm »

Unless I'm adapting a goblin tower that I "found," i like to have four or five story dining rooms that look like this on the ground floor:
#############
#.....................#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.OCTTC.CTTCO.#
#.....................#
############

#=Wall
.=floor
O=Pillar
C=Chair
T=Table
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 05:29:39 am »

I never engrave floors.

Seriously. I can't handle engraved floors.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 05:52:08 am »

I never engrave floors.

Seriously. I can't handle engraved floors.

I'm the exact same, I have engravings hidden and I still don't do it, it just seems so pointless. Plus, the engraver might not suffer art defacement when the nice engraved floor gets vomitted and bled on, but I sure do :(
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 06:04:12 am »

For me it's more that it looks so damned untidy. I engrave my walls wherever I can, though. But then again, I usually have at least 30-40% of my dwarves hauling stones at all times because they look untidy  :P
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 06:07:13 am »

I very rarely engrave floors, I must admit.  Or indeed walls.  But that's because I (usually) don't need to.  Fully smoothing noble rooms usually does the trick, and carefully distributed masterwork furniture (at least some of which they're getting anyway, either for room definition or as part of their demands) buffs them up.

But I did engrave one entire wall and the adjacent floor of one set of noble rooms on one fort, as the easiest thing to do (I'd done a lot of engraving as part of the megaproject I was running, and had very little left to engrave that was not still waiting to be exposed, so I had a number of legendary engravers that would only be doing more trivial things), and I did that symmetrically across the whole Noble-only accomodation/office/dining block that I had made in that particular part of that fort, so it overkilled a number of room requirements and caused haughty thoughts in various ones about some having better rooms than others thought they should have had.  Which I took no notice of.

(Given different circumstances, I might have removed the walls and rebuilt them/paved the floor with precious metals, but I'd only gotten a basic metal industry up, mostly geared to making electrum 'spires' for all the obelisks, to supplement the electrum I was gradually accumulating through trade.)

And, yes, it looked ugly, while I left it visible.  Can't blame anyone for not wanting to do it in the first place.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:15 am »

All my rooms have to be regular-shaped in some sort of ways. And I never make rooms smaller than 5x5, even if I need a single workshop in there. Oh, and I have a habit of making absurdly weird staircase systems instead of entrances even if I'd only need one tile dug out to connect it to the main hallway. An epitome of that was reached in Inkyflows, where I had a 10x10 stairway fully protected with traps just to connect to a well and two workshops near it.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 12:14:13 pm »

I'm another who very seldom engraves floors. Although I'll often smooth all the floors first, and then go back later to do the walls. I just like the way it looks, and I want to be sure I'm done chopping out more space.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 12:18:35 pm »

Oh another thing.

I have MAJOR problems with any room that's part mud and part rock. MAJOR problems! I can't stand the sand (or whatever) walls so I mine them out. Which increases the line of sight and the construction seems "off" .. so now I have to mine out ALL the walls to have an even flow of vision and then build constructed walls in front of the mud and stone walls ... then of course i cannot engrave these and that sometimes upsets me but not often.

In general when I have to build something in an area with sand/mud/earth/whatever ... I just build a log cabin above ground. Many of my fortresses turn into "a town built on top of a fortress carved into a cave complex" and i'm cool with that.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »

I have MAJOR problems with any room that's part mud and part rock. MAJOR problems!

I'm the same, but I hate having part natural/constructed walls. Even if there's no visible difference it just bugs me.  :o

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:33 pm »

I have only lost 3 forts to bad stuff... Pretty much every fort gets abandoned because it is untidy...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10