Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17308 times)

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:58 am »

I have to have everything neatly sectioned off, wood piles by carpenters, stone piles by masonries and mechanics, food by the butchery and kitchen with refuse nearby and the craftsshop next to that but also close to the finished goods/furniture pile which also needs to be close to the carpentry and masonry.

And I continually attempt to make a waterfall in my main hall and continually it distracts me enough the fortress comes crashing down...
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:21 pm »

I like to make my water supply sanitary and clean.  The cistern must at very least have smoothed walls, and lined with copper if I have the material and time.  If any veins of heavy metal ore (pitchblende, realgar, cinnabar, or others) intersect the cistern or water feed lines, they get mined out, hauled away, and then sealed with constructed walls and floors.  On my most recent fortress I built multiple silver grates and charcoal bars in the water inlet pipe to purify and disinfect the incoming water.  I know this makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the water.  It's just something I like to do anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 01:32:38 pm »

I switched from 5x5/3x3 stairs and halls to 6x6/4x4 because I realized the number of squares on the map is even, and there is no dead-center.  (It drives me nuts.)  If there is a pool in the way, I go straight down through it.  If a brook is in the way, I flail helplessly.

I get tetchy if I don't manage to capture at least a breeding pair of every wildlife species that crosses the map.

Since the last failed fort (failed as in successful: goblins/kobolds were extinct in that world), I've become addicted to sliver barbs and phantom spiders.

I won't start a fort unless I can get Elf trade (animals!  tame exotic animals!) and I need savagery, good, and evil all represented.

DF is like OCD candy, isn't it?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 02:05:12 pm »

DF is like OCD candy, isn't it?
No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »

This may sound odd, but I don't like things being too uniform. I can't stand making sure all my corridors are the same width and everything is symmetrical and stuff. My architecture is based on the philosophy "Make it as it's needed", which is why my entrance is usually flanked by a dining room (Which I oddly usually set up before a barracks) and a workshop area. Speaking of which, I tend to build my workshops in the order: Masons, Masons, Carpenters, Forges and ect, Mechanics and Crafts. From there, it's back to as it's needed. Also, I keep my metalsmithing outfit in a separate area just off the workshop complex. I don't know why.
I enjoy multilevel forts, and this means I often have pillars o' stairs. For reasons I can't determine, I don't like up/down stairs. My staircases usually look either like this:
<<<<    >>>>
<>><    ><<>
<>><    ><<>
>>>>    >>>>

Or this:
<>    ><
><    <>

I'm also a sucker for colour coding where possible.

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 03:16:34 pm »

I've developed a fondness for constructing hospital beds from either tower cap or feather tree wood. White beds look nicely clinical. :)

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »

This isn't so much a quirk...well, it is, but a really annoying one I wish I'd stop doing.

Despite knowing full well of the dangers in the deep, I can't help digging into it through my fortress instead of making a separate mine shaft some ways away from my fort. This leads to annual freaked out Elk Birds running into my fort and wrecking havoc...or worse...

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 05:42:13 pm »

doors to keep out miasma in case someone leaves a rotting carcass in one of the rooms

You might me playing Dwarf Fortress if....

Wait, are we still talking about DF?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 05:46:46 pm »

On my most recent fortress I built multiple silver grates and charcoal bars in the water inlet pipe to purify and disinfect the incoming water.  I know this makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the water.  It's just something I like to do anyway.

Woooooooooooow.  You need to let the voices in your head out for walks more often.

On the other hand, when Toadie inevitably does implement antimicrobials, you'll be ready.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:46 pm »

My future sheriff/captain of the guard must have been tested and proven in battle before I assign a dwarf to it - in a hardcore way.

Many candidates do not survive.

More often than not in all my last few fortresses, it ends up being female too. Odd coincidence.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 06:44:41 pm »

No cheese. NO COWDAMNED CHEESE, YA PONCY BASTARDS!

Otherwise...I like to mine veins without so much as touching the non-economic rock. Only the ores and other important minerals are mined, and those empty veins later on serve as rooms. And I tend to build everything that's close to the surface in ways that preserve as much sapling-bearing soil as possible. So after some time, my fortresses just look like scary, sprawling cancer, spanning tens of z-levels, going off in weird tentacles, and wherever there's already no soil aboveground, but simply bare rock, chaotically designed towers pop out of the ground, with platforms jutting out of them every few z-levels. Statue gardens, open-air barracks, marksdwarf fortifications, windmills, and a fuck-the-world pump - all on the towers.

It all looks strangely organic, but not in a healthy sense.

AND NO CHEESE! NEVER! AWAY!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 07:22:53 pm »

I tend to try and make the most of the immediate area I am using one way or another. Major culprit of that right now is New Wavehandle.

Let's not forget, I'm the kind of person that builds fortresses shallow into the ground/hill/mountain, and if I must, make the more elaborate stuff or mines deeper inside.

If I'm doing a surface-only fort/town, I usually make my quarries with a step-elevator, and an access slide (ramps 1 tile apart from each other). If I'm going to be extracting from the floor, then let's make it easy to go from bottom to top. Especially when they go deep. Better reserved for 10x10 quarry plots.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 07:48:18 pm »

I don't like having engravings, bins, barrels, bags, and furniture with less than exceptional quality.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 07:50:51 pm »

Whenever I make a fort, I lay everything out in 4x4 chunks. So most of the fort is made out of rectangles, sides measuring multiples of four, and the hallways generally use the middle 2x2 square as a vector.

Code: [Select]
####  ####
#...  ....
#...  ....
#..#  #..#
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »

I like limestone. I'll scour the map for a nice embark area with limestone, and I get annoyed if I have to resort to dolomite, or armok forbid... chalk. I also like cliffs, big ones. But they're so damn hard to find...
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10