Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Gold weapon?  (Read 11215 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold weapon?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 11:19:38 am »

Well warhammers don't have, you know, edges or whatnot. It's not a fragile design. It's a hunk of metal you smash things with.

Have you ever seen an actual warhammer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer

The design isn't "big blunt thing you smack people with". It's still meant to concentrate force effectively, so you wouldn't want it to deform. They even tended to have points on one side.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 11:25:30 am »

To concentrate the force over the non-spike side you'd need a denser material. For that matter it wouldn't even need to be in the actual striking surface, maybe in the middle above the handle. We've already got obsidian short swords that need wood too, so multimaterial weapons are quite plausible. Plus, a gold warhammer is an artifact, so it's probably already covered by this and with spikes of that. :P

- And while that may be a real warhammer, the ones in DF seem to have a pretty dang big striking area. :P

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 11:27:34 am »

Well warhammers don't have, you know, edges or whatnot. It's not a fragile design. It's a hunk of metal you smash things with.

The design isn't "big blunt thing you smack people with". It's still meant to concentrate force effectively, so you wouldn't want it to deform. They even tended to have points on one side.
We're talking dwarves here, not warhammers of the human design.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 11:28:49 am »

That's... a really silly statement. Seriously, why would dwarves make giant mallets instead? They wouldn't. It wouldn't make sense to, for the same reasons it wouldn't make sense for humans to make them.

However, there are larger weapons designed more like a sledge. You know what they're called? Mauls. And the game already has them. And for what it's worth, they don't have very much military application.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:21 am »

Seems like many particpants are envisioning a mace or a maul rather than a warhammer.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 11:34:17 am »

Right, but a mace generally doesn't work that way either. A mace made to penetrate any sort of armor would likely have, say, flanges on it, and even if it didn't, it generally wouldn't just be an amorphous hunk of metal on a stick, unless we're talking fairly primitive ones.

Lishedir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 11:54:18 am »

I gave my militia commander a gold breastplate. It's not that effective, but what's a spear to the chest for looking good as hell?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 02:04:31 pm »

You don't think dwarves use a maul?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:23 pm »

In-game: No, they don't. You can't produce them in fortress mode. In 40d, they were also too large for dwarves to wield, although this may (or may not) have changed.

Hypothetically: They very rarely would, for reasons I already stated. Mauls simply don't have much practical application. In addition, they might be even worse for dwarves than they are for humans, since dwarves have little stubby arms that might not be able to make much good use of long, high-leverage weapons like that.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 02:21:35 pm »

If they can dig all day through solid rock, for some reason I don't see why they couldn't use a maul for a few times a year.

And they could use them in Dragon Age/other fantasy games, which is on or above the level of realism of DF.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:23:22 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 04:47:35 pm »

Seriously? You think "most fantasy games" are on the same level of realism as DF?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2010, 06:51:14 pm »

I said at or above.

Aside from the highly complicatedness and water physics, but you don't usually need water physics in games.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 06:58:50 pm »

Did we cover electroplating yet? Does that count?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 07:00:51 pm »

No, but it sounds fun.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »

Well, what would be the effect on an edged weapon if you electroplated it? I'm not so up on my science. I just swing the swords, I don't make them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8