Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Gold weapon?  (Read 11168 times)

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gold weapon?
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »

Hi there i have a gold war hammer, its an artifact and i want to give him to my brend new elite squad leader, he use blunt weapon. Is it a waste to give him that item, gold is pretty heavy, heavier than silver i think, should be good what do you think?   :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold weapon?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:38:53 pm »

Density seems to matter more than much else for blunt weapons, so it should work fairly well.

Realistically, a gold hammer would be so heavy that nobody in their right mind would try to use it as an effective weapon, so don't be surprised if it becomes less useful as further combat tweaks are made in upcoming revisions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:58:18 pm »

Ye right, and if an enemy parry with a cutting edge he could get some free gold in his pocket  :o

An edit :
Damn it seam he don't want to pick up that hammer, i ask him to equip a war hammer, forbid all other war hammer, that technique worked very well for other equipment, i tested it myself, since giving specific weapon don't work. But he seam to ignore that weapon, and its not forbiden, i checked, any idea? a shame
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:48:30 pm by Rkui »

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:05:20 pm »

A: A gold warhammer is the second best kind (after platinum).
B: Only champions will consider equipping artifacts.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:18:30 pm »

Ok maybe he isn't a champion yet, he is legendary figther but only great hammer dwarf, and geat master in an other fighting skill. The guy is a beast taught.

Also i have a champion in an other squad, because he got an artifact axe (but its just an exceptional iron axe with a lot of kills, its not a crafted artifact, i think it became artifact during battle or something like that). Anyway it's not clear to me what a champion is, in the wiki it say you have to enable one as a noble, but i can't do that even with a duc and 2/3time legendary soldiers. The guys that have the axe artifact and 2 others in the same squad do blink strangely taught... Are champion soldiers with a lot of kills or something similar?

I'll just wait for the guy i want to give the gold hammer to train further then and i'll see if he can pick it up.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »

You can't turn a non-artifact into an artifact, but if a weapon gets a lot of kills it can get a name like an artifact; this doesn't actually do anything to my knowledge and is just cool. I don't know how to get a champion offhand, sorry...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »

In 40d days, a champion was any soldier that got to legendary in a combat skill (there were fewer back then). Probably means you need legendary hammer skill to equip that gold artifact.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »

Hi there i have a gold war hammer, its an artifact and i want to give him to my brend new elite squad leader, he use blunt weapon. Is it a waste to give him that item, gold is pretty heavy, heavier than silver i think, should be good what do you think?   :P

If you really need to raise the value of a room in a hurry you might consider loading that hammer into a weapon trap instead.  The room will probably become legendary instantly.  You might want it in a weapon trap so that you don't risk some dwarf losing it somewhere.

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »

You might want it in a weapon trap so that you don't risk some dwarf losing it somewhere.

You might want it in a weapon trap on a narrow bridge ten or so z-levels above the surface. This is what we in the Dwarven Science field call a "force multiplier."  8)
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:07:01 pm »

Anyone experiment with the custom buildings? Might be interesting to just make a custom building that takes weapons and uses the architecture skill. Seems if you do that, then dwarves will be able to admire the construction. Build custom weapon displays that benefit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 03:19:29 am »

A: A gold warhammer is the second best kind (after platinum).
B: Only champions will consider equipping artifacts.

I severely doubt B. I've had no trouble getting no-skill dwarves to equip artifacts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 04:55:57 am »

Make him equip specific weapon, not just plain War hammer. Forbid any other war hammers you have. Also you must have arsenal dwarf to have the changes implemented. And as for me, it always occurs some time after my arsenal dwarf prepares equipment manifests. But it works.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:42 am »

Make him equip specific weapon, not just plain War hammer. Forbid any other war hammers you have. Also you must have arsenal dwarf to have the changes implemented. And as for me, it always occurs some time after my arsenal dwarf prepares equipment manifests. But it works.

Well i tryed it but when i saw the arsenal dwarf never ever update the equipement when using that option i just droped it, maybe i should have try to change some other soldier equipement too to make it happen, or didn't wait as much as i should... I'll try it again.
In fact i tryed all the options to make it happen but then i just gave him a silver hammer which he picked up with no problem, i just prey he won't get attached to it before becoming legendary. In fact i was sure any dwarf could use any artifact, but to tell the true its the first time i really found a good use to an artifact, i'm a bit disapointed. And all this story made me want to use all those artifact rotting in their bins, so at least it moved something in the fort.

And i have few other guy that are legendary hammerdwarf but i just didn't had the heart to try it on them, maybe i just should try for pure testing purpose. I'll keep you updated :/

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:05 am »

Well i tryed it but when i saw the arsenal dwarf never ever update the equipement when using that option i just droped it, maybe i should have try to change some other soldier equipement too to make it happen, or didn't wait as much as i should... I'll try it again.
In fact i tryed all the options to make it happen but then i just gave him a silver hammer which he picked up with no problem, i just prey he won't get attached to it before becoming legendary. In fact i was sure any dwarf could use any artifact, but to tell the true its the first time i really found a good use to an artifact, i'm a bit disapointed. And all this story made me want to use all those artifact rotting in their bins, so at least it moved something in the fort.

And i have few other guy that are legendary hammerdwarf but i just didn't had the heart to try it on them, maybe i just should try for pure testing purpose. I'll keep you updated :/

Did u designate a working room for your arsenal dwarf? He need one. Via throne or chair (q - make study or throne room). And there should be a table.
Even if u had, try to make him a new working room. And unable all other tasks for him. He just MUST do it. It's his job after all  ::)
PS. And yes, make sure, that your arsenal dwarf has high lvl of Organizer skill. If your current one doesn't have any exp in Organizing, i advise you to replace him for more suitable one.
And dont be hasty - just w8. Wait for whole season, don't pay attention, do something else.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 05:48:52 pm »

OK the guy at last took the gold hammer, i just gave him a specific weapon and forgot about it. Last i checked he was already legendary and had the hammer equiped, so i'm not sure when he took it. It seam it just take more time for artifact to equip, i think the the arsenal dwarf wanted it for himself in fact.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8