Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: OMG he does love us  (Read 3236 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
OMG he does love us
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:45 am »

"The arsenal dwarf was obliterated to let equipment move around more easily."

Thanks Toady!  I said I'd make a donation if that happens, and I'm gonna stick to that.  Check's going out this week.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OMG he does love us
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:55:34 am »

Why do people hate him?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:00:58 pm »

Why do people hate him?

IN general getting your dwarves able to get the equipment you want and do what you want is difficult, a noble who's main purpose is to delay that further is likely going to cause headaches.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »

Why do people hate him?
Why do people hate Hitler? Seriously, I wouldn't know.

Anyways, I kind of liked the idea of an arsenal Dwarf. If only it had worked better.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »

Because I guess people hated how they need him in order to set up a military? I don't know?  I personally didn't have issues with the Arsenal Dwarf, but I'm guess he could be linked to some of the issues in the military. So I guess Toady decided to dump him till he can improve on him and make him better.

Out of seriousness though, the Arsenal Dwarf did seem to not do much...just update equipment and that's it. So I guess it was a smart move. Hopfully he'll be improved in time for the Seiges and stuff.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 12:23:02 pm »

I'm happy that he was removed. Was just an unnecessary step in equipping a military with no real useful reason whatsoever.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »

I guess the issue here is that sometimes, equipment changes need to be made fast, so forcing a dwarf to make the change himself might not work out very well... and good luck if he's on break, or partying, or asleep, or eating, or otherwise indisposed.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:40:19 pm »

Because I guess people hated how they need him in order to set up a military? I don't know?

The Arsenal Dwarf is supposed to streamline and organize the military, but fails hard at it.  The actual organizing of the military is done by the player through the equipment screens, but the arsenal dwarf prevents those changes from going into effect until he stops partying, sleeping, drinking, eating, and taking breaks from his strenuous labor of taking breaks, and goes to his office and acts busy for a while. 

If he were merely a prerequisite for assigning equipment and nothing more it would be fine.  But, since he has to sit at his desk and... I dunno, write TPS reports or something before your changes go into effect, it can take months for your equipment changes to go into effect.  If only the player could order the AD caged, beaten, or hammered...

Hey, there's an idea.  Why let the nobles have all the fun of ordering punishments?  Could we order dwarves beaten or executed for taking too many breaks or organizing too many parties?  Could it actually cause them to not do those things at the expense of having lower morale?  That would be awesome!
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »

Arse nal dwarf would have worked better if there hadn't been bugs too. Like deleted ammunition groups locking up the ammo so it can never be used again.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:15:20 pm »

It was a neat idea that just didn't pan out gameplay-wise, and Toady deserves tons and tons of credit for not being overly attached to it.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »

Hey, there's an idea.  Why let the nobles have all the fun of ordering punishments?  Could we order dwarves beaten or executed for taking too many breaks or organizing too many parties?  Could it actually cause them to not do those things at the expense of having lower morale?  That would be awesome!

Yes, they are called suicide levers and magma dumps.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 02:27:30 pm »

Toady deserves tons and tons of credit for not being overly attached to it.

QFT. Way too many devs fall too in love with some ideas to give them the axe when they don't work out.

We already know every other game developer on the entire planet envies DF for it's gameplay, maybe they can follow the other ways in which DF leads, too. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 02:55:06 pm »

"The arsenal dwarf was obliterated to let equipment move around more easily."

Thanks Toady!  I said I'd make a donation if that happens, and I'm gonna stick to that.  Check's going out this week.

And by "donation" you mean "bribe," right? Interestiiiiinnggggg... Perhaps we can corrupt the Toad...

Hey Toady, I'll give you a hundred bucks if you implement my sand idea. (not really)

Now I understand why lobbying is so popular.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »

I've heard whispers of this kind of thing being implemented in the future. Say, a series of dwarves die in strange circumstances, the living ones start to get paranoid and stuff.
Or so I heard. I wouldn't trust a rumour.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »

And by "donation" you mean "bribe," right? Interestiiiiinnggggg... Perhaps we can corrupt the Toad...

Hey Toady, I'll give you a hundred bucks if you implement my sand idea. (not really)

Now I understand why lobbying is so popular.

I'll chip in $100 for the sand thing. For reals. (I've paid more for less.)
Pages: [1] 2 3