Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RIP arsenal dwarf  (Read 1180 times)

Jh00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RIP arsenal dwarf
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:38:52 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
The arsenal dwarf was obliterated
That was the most useless piece of nobleness on my fortressness. No wonder Toady "obliterated" him instead of politely "removing" him.

IŽd rather have a  Wardrobe Stylist to manage my XXsocksXX.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: RIP arsenal dwarf
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:17 am »

I dunno, I found arsenal dwarves to be very useful. Moreso than mayors, at any rate.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

racingspider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:10 am »

Socks are good. One of my non-crafters got into a crafting mood and he made a legendary sock. Out of pig tail thread. And on it, is a dwarf running away (of course, it's the CRAFTER who's image is on the sock - running away).

I can only imagine the thoughts that went through his head when creating it.

"Ah, I remember when I ran away from that mountain goat. Yes. YES! I will make that image embroidered on a SOCK!"

Sorry about the thread hijack. :O

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:17:38 pm »

So long! No more free organizer experience  :'(
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:45 pm »

There was only one benefit I could see to the Arsenal Dwarf - if you absolutely, positively didn't want your dwarfs to ever change equipment again all you had to do was unassign the position.  This is assuming they ever got the right equipment in the first place.

Besides, the position title always made me feel like I was appointing a politically-incorrect mascot for a miserable English Soccer team....

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »

arsenal dwarf cancles give weapons: interupted by Toady

The Arsenal dwarf was struck down.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »

Good riddance I say.

Yojinbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »

My ADs spent a lot of time supposedly counting things with barrels of wine in their laps. 

I always wondered how many bolts I REALLY had...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:13 pm »

My Dwarves in 0.31 never wear the socks they collect from the Clothing workshop.  They just lay them on the floors of their bedrooms.  In 40d they always wore two right socks and one left sock, when I made new ones for them after they'd become naked from wear on their clothing.  A happy medium would be desirable.   :D

I had nothing against the arsenal Dwarf.  It was kind of a nice touch, having a quartermaster for my military.  It's true that the equipping process went buggy after my third attempt to make a fully functional squad of ten Dwarves, but the barracks went buggy on the first attempt which is why I was on my third.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:42:59 pm »

Hey at least we can have marksdwarves again. Then I'll be able to turn invaders on.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:29:20 pm »

Since it didn't work correctly, good riddance. I'll settle for no Arsenal Dwarf and a functional military equipment system.

What I think could replace it (or rather, improve it) in the future is some sort of "stock manager dwarf." Maybe they function like militia commanders do with the militia captain: You have stock managers underneath your bookkeepers. Their job is to oversee your Stockpiles.

A Stock Manager could:
  • Make the bookkeeper's job easier by helping with counting. A bad one may not help at all.
  • Maintain the pile's integrity. If you have a stockpile that only allows metal ores, a good manager would ensure that's the case. A bad one... you'll end up with piles of meat and refuse in your metal ore stockpile.
  • Restrict access. Don't want anyone but your legendary shell crafter accessing your Large Gem stockpile? Get a good Stock Manager and he'll kick the face of anyone who tries.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 03:56:25 pm »

Since it didn't work correctly, good riddance. I'll settle for no Arsenal Dwarf and a functional military equipment system.

What I think could replace it (or rather, improve it) in the future is some sort of "stock manager dwarf." Maybe they function like militia commanders do with the militia captain: You have stock managers underneath your bookkeepers. Their job is to oversee your Stockpiles.

A Stock Manager could:
  • Make the bookkeeper's job easier by helping with counting. A bad one may not help at all.
  • Maintain the pile's integrity. If you have a stockpile that only allows metal ores, a good manager would ensure that's the case. A bad one... you'll end up with piles of meat and refuse in your metal ore stockpile.
  • Restrict access. Don't want anyone but your legendary shell crafter accessing your Large Gem stockpile? Get a good Stock Manager and he'll kick the face of anyone who tries.

1. Isn't that exactly the same as a bookkeeper?
2. The stockpile settings work just fine.
3. Burrows might do the trick here.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 04:40:52 pm »

A Stock Manager could:

1. Isn't that exactly the same as a bookkeeper?
2. The stockpile settings work just fine.
3. Burrows might do the trick here.

1. It makes it faster.
2. It would fuck up another thing in Dwarf Fortress, but intentionally.
3. But wouldn't you like to see a dwarf get kicked in the face?