Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "it'll force targeting of targets that aren't normally allowed"  (Read 2679 times)

Jh00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: ToadyOne
Military marksdwarves will fire on their enemies properly now, and I made the kill order work a bit better, so that non-targeted benign wilderness animals wouldn't gum it up and it'll force targeting of targets that aren't normally allowed (it was a bit confused about those).

Does it mean that I will be able to kill Friendly Goblins?
Does it mean that I will be able to euthanize melancholic dwarves?

Oh please, say I will! :D

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: "it'll force targeting of targets that aren't normally allowed"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:42 am »

How about [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] human diplomats?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:24:45 pm »

If we can set kill orders on anything/one, I see two immediate uses: executing cats (unlike nobles, they refuse to pull drowning chamber levers) and dwarf vs. dwarf arena combat!  Once guilds are in, the head of the miner's guild is definitely going to call out the head of the woodcutter's guild.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

Military marksdwarves will fire on their enemies properly now, and I made the kill order work a bit better, so that non-targeted benign wilderness animals wouldn't gum it up and it'll force targeting of targets that aren't normally allowed (it was a bit confused about those).

No, I think he's referring to how the kill order will force dwarves to target things they wouldn't normally target, such as non-invading visitors. I don't think Toady is implying any sort of new feature there, since he's stated before that he wasn't going to let you kill-order your own people, and here he's saying that dwarves were confused about orders you could give.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »

If it actually allowed you to do that, I suspect it would result in your military being declared enemies of your civilization (just like in Adventurer mode when you start attacking your own town), which would quickly lead to Fun.

Attacking a demonic diplomat would probably be a quick way of starting a war, and it'd probably even get the merchants themselves to attack you.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

Attacking a demonic diplomat would probably be a quick way of starting a war, and it'd probably even get the merchants themselves to attack you.
That would still be a better scenario than the demonic diplomat hanging around to many players. Killing elves (and starting wars) just got a lot easier.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:01:35 pm »

Why not just fixing this bug with destroying building belonging to friendlies?

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:05:13 pm »

Well, the dwarf vs dwarf arena would be nice. He, he, he!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »

I guess you should be able to target other dwarves and marchants or something... Like I want to start a war witht he elves but can I "directly" No! I have to make a little simply up/downstairway ladder then deconstruct some floors on the elves when they arrive... the abilityt o personally attack themw ould be nice.

Jh00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »

I guess you should be able to target other dwarves and marchants or something... Like I want to start a war witht he elves but can I "directly" No! I have to make a little simply up/downstairway ladder then deconstruct some floors on the elves when they arrive... the abilityt o personally attack themw ould be nice.

Indeed, I would love to cage those elf merchants and throw them into my magma pit. I didn´t invite them to my fortress, nor I like those appalling merchandise they bring. At least they would work very well to lubricate my weapon traps.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:15 pm »

I may be totally wrong, but this may also refer to say, when you target a groundhog in the middle of a group of groundhogs, and all the dwarves go chasing different ones that you didn't target.

I dunno, maybe.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 05:50:09 pm »

If it actually allowed you to do that, I suspect it would result in your military being declared enemies of your civilization (just like in Adventurer mode when you start attacking your own town), which would quickly lead to Fun.

The hammerdwarf kills your dwarves sometimes but isn't marked as an enemy.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:25:09 pm »

The hammerdwarf kills your dwarves sometimes but isn't marked as an enemy.
Not by the game, anyway.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 09:31:19 pm »

i bet its talking about the "tamed" giant cave swallow that has a name, and you decide would be good to let loose to fly around a bit
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:43:55 pm »

No, I think he's referring to how the kill order will force dwarves to target things they wouldn't normally target, such as non-invading visitors. I don't think Toady is implying any sort of new feature there, since he's stated before that he wasn't going to let you kill-order your own people, and here he's saying that dwarves were confused about orders you could give.

awwwww! :(

I was all ready to have my former mayor challenge the newly elected mayor to a death match in the arena...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: [1] 2