Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Duplicating" a map / embark site  (Read 605 times)

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Duplicating" a map / embark site
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:23:25 am »

I am looking to find away to copy a map/embark site that I found. I don’t want to reclaim the site because of the existing constructions I have made.

Is there a way to recreate the exact same “world” so that I can get to the embark site I want. I am hoping that somewhere in the data files for that map / world, there is enough information to do this?

If so where / how?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-CB

Suikero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: "Duplicating" a map / embark site
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:45:20 am »

Abandon the site, then view Legends and press p to export map/gen info. Then generate a new world with those settings and find the site there untouched.

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:06:46 am »

Thanks much!

-CB

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:21:55 pm »

You don't need to abandon the site. Hit ESC, choose "Export Local Image", and then Enter. This will save off a copy of the world-gen data on your hard-drive under the main DF directory. (Note that it'll just happen, and you won't get any confirmation notice. Also it saves off a pic of the fort.) You then copy and paste that data into data/init/world_gen.txt. Be sure and change the line [TITLE:WHATEVER]  to something appropriate. You then Design New World With Parameters.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:34:56 am »

One thing I didn't realize at the time is that when this world generated it came up with the screen that asks you to continue until you are warned again etc.... (not sure of the exact warnings, but hopefully you all know the screen i am talking about)

I have no idea what keys I hit the first time around, whether I hit ignore or continue until next batch of errors occurs, and how many times the screen popped up (at least 3-4 if memory serves correctly) before a suitable world was generated....

I am thinking even with the proper seed data, with out knowing what options I choose to get to the final product, I wont be able to recreate this world.

Any way to "clean up" my existing map?

Thanks for the continued help all.

-CB

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »

Whatever process/trouble you went through to create a fort, if you do what I detailed above, the resulting seed will make the exact same map. When you go into the Design New World With Parameters screen, use your keyboard's arrow keys to flip through the choices on the upper right of the screen. When the one you want is highlighted, hit ENTER. Once the world has been generated, you'll have to hunt around on the world-map to find the fort-site again.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »

I think Geoduck is right. The only problem I know with recreating a map this way would be if you modded your game after first generating the desired world, and now didn't know what changes to revert.