Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My first titan!  (Read 1958 times)

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first titan!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 10:16:28 am »

Organic titans are really easy if your dwarves are properly armored.  In one of my fortresses, I had a "great skinless dimetrodon" show up in the first cavern layer.  The description said to "beware its webs," but it didn't get a chance to shoot them off before my two axedwarves turned it into chunky salsa within seconds.  I got a second one about two seasons later as I was training a hammerdwarf to be able to use my artifact steel warhammer.  It was a "great pangolin with external ribs," and it had a poisonous sting.  I evacuated the caverns (magma pipe in cavern layer 1 FTW), sent in my two (now legendary) axedwarves and my new hammerdwarf, and seconds later the hammerdwarf and the FB were dead.  I checked the combat logs- the FB tried to sting an axedwarf but the stinger bounced off his steel armor, then the hammerdwarf crushed his stinger.  The FB then picked up the hammerdwarf and threw him against a wall so hard he exploded.  The FB was then decapitated.

A season later I found adamantium, and now my axedwarves are pretty much invincible.  I just hope an inorganic FB (or one with disease-causing breath) doesn't wander in from offscreen before my cave-in traps are ready.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 10:22:42 am »

I hadn't even gotten a military started, in fact, it was my first real .31 fort since I've been waiting for a bunch of fixes and all.

Although having two relatively expensive artifacts didn't help much since I really hadn't produced much of value yet.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 01:55:57 pm »

My first fort in DF and the game decides to mock me:

Naspa Tabalipi Cani Gicast. Brush Titan
Naspa Sprayedpack the Smile of Style
A gigantic quadruped composed of amber. It has a short horn and it emanates an aura of giving and kindness.

It fought off two goblin sieges (one problem solved another; yay free loot) before being offed. So yeah, I got attacked by a Saturday morning cartoon...
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:29:37 pm »

Snail: DYNAMIC ENTRY!!! *looks down* FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUU...

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »

My first....

A towering quadraped COMPOSED OF FLAME.

It set the map on fire when it arrived, proceeding to burninate through a human caravan that was there at the time, then ended up dodging into a murky pool where I have left it for about a year now. My masons won't build a floor above the murky pool because they keep getting interrupted by the titan below.

I am now going to build a floor 10ish z levels up, and crash it down into the thing. Hopefully I don't destroy my fortress below...

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 07:54:40 pm »

I just had my first two FBs recently. I didn't play the new version until .10 because I like blunt weapons. I had a squad of three talented hammerdwarves attack this giant feathered ant-eater.Not suprisingly, two hammerdwarves died while the caravan guard dispatched it. After pissing off the dwarven caravan and them leaving me to die (Did I mention I had no food?) My lone hammerdwarf was left too kill a leech with a shell. He picked up a hammer, used his newly legendary wrestling skills and grabbed it by the top and broke it's shell, killing it instantly.Of course, I still have tantrumers running around from the FB eating people. Can't win 'em all  ;D

MacMahoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »

My first....

A towering quadraped COMPOSED OF FLAME.

It set the map on fire when it arrived, proceeding to burninate through a human caravan that was there at the time, then ended up dodging into a murky pool where I have left it for about a year now. My masons won't build a floor above the murky pool because they keep getting interrupted by the titan below.

I am now going to build a floor 10ish z levels up, and crash it down into the thing. Hopefully I don't destroy my fortress below...

Hmm could you kill it by the usual methods? drowning with water or magma? or would it just shrug off both?

for that matter could you kill a FB made of magmasafe materials like steel with magma?

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »

It evaporated all water I threw at it... including a diverted river. It didn't seem to mind being submerged in magma either. I ended up causing a cave in over its head with a constructed floor. Punched through 3z levels below it too...

As for killing a steel FB with magma... you could probably DROWN it in magma, or encase it in obsidian if you pour water on it. I think.... this requires investigation!
Pages: 1 [2]