Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What's your weapon of choice?  (Read 3839 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your weapon of choice?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:16 am »

Bit of everything. Each squad has its own theme.

I have a squad of swords, then axes, spears, hammers, and maces. Gives plenty of variety. I keep 50% of the squad on duty at any given time, which means that I'll have about 5 dwarves with each type of weapon on hand at all times.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 11:22:37 am »

Hammers/maces have always been my favorite, but since blunt weapons are totally gimped right now it falls to the next in line: spears

still, for the sake of variety and fun I still give my dwarves all sorts

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

I usually go for variety. Steel axes, steel axes, steel axes, and, just to shake things up, steel axes.

Sometimes I create a single squad of macedwarves to soften opponents up while the axedwarves have their fun. Needless to say, I never send this squad out alone or they'll get butchered.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:29 am »

Even though in 40d s-swords are generally the most useful, even for a dwarf I don't think of them as a 'military' weapon. I usually go with axes and maces, and eventually spears in a well made fort. Hammers are of course more dwarfy, but i dislike that they are a 1 handed weapon, the types of hammers I like in games are more like 2h mauls.
When I picture dwarves I picture them like they are in battle for wesnoth.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 11:46:00 am »

I've decided to just stick with swords for now for simplicity and bug avoidance.

What I'd really like, though, is axes, but I reeeaaaly don't want to deal with the hassle of "No, don't equip that copper axe you bastard. Dammit, now that causes a treecutter to pick up the steel axe, AARRG!" until more of these military bugs are ironed out.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 11:48:07 am »

I've decided to just stick with swords for now for simplicity and bug avoidance.

What I'd really like, though, is axes, but I reeeaaaly don't want to deal with the hassle of "No, don't equip that copper axe you bastard. Dammit, now that causes a treecutter to pick up the steel axe, AARRG!" until more of these military bugs are ironed out.
you can specify weapon materials in the 'e'quipment screen. so just make your axedwarves go for steel

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 11:48:36 am »

Warhammers and axes. Easily the dwarfiest weapons around. In .08 I only use axes though, because hammers are pretty shitty. Thank god it's fixed in .09 though, can't wait for that to be released.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

In adventurer mode, venom covered corpses.

In fortress mode, you would think that the rock piercing power of picks would also let them pierce armor, so they would easily beat axes, but they don't. They do, however, let you train a weapon skill without actually sparring with it, so less injury.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:38 pm »

Axes, purely because then I can use them for cutting down trees as well as fighting early on, and once I've got one legendary axedwarf, I just make everyone else the same, just so re-equiping my military is easier. In practice, most of the fighting tends to be done by whichever civilian happens to be standing nearest to the attacker.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 01:17:18 pm »

Axes, for the manufacture of many small goblin chunks.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

Hammers, jus something dwarfy bout those. And the homerun swings from 40d I loved. Can't wait for the next version where the hammers get fixed though. Axes are dwarfy in their own way and are probably my next fave followed by crossbows and yippee for them getting fixed too. .09 is gonna be a very good update indeed.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »

I like hammers.

The real word utility of hammers are huge compared to an axe or pick.  The hammer gives the most technological feel to me (I am a fan of Warhammer  style dwarfs- slightly steam-punk)

And in previous editions of DF, hammers allowed dwarfs to play "golf". >:3

Originally, I picked hammers because they would reduce the amount of hauling after a battle compared to swords or axes, but, with the secondary effect of sending an enemy flying, this was not so much the reality.

Second choice is axes, because hammers and axes are the two most dwarfy weapons- swords, maces, and spears not so much.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 01:46:02 pm »

Even though they have the stigma of being overpowered from the last version, crossbows are my favorite weapon. Ranged combat FTW. I always use fortifications for my marksdwarves to defend my fort, and incorporate towers into my architecture. Plus I send them out to back up my melee soldiers whenever possible.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 02:01:48 pm »

Once crossbows are working again I'll probably switch over primarily to them.

I like the idea of closing in and firing off your ammo. Once the ammo is fired off close in to close combat to finish them off. It also adds in the extra element of tracking ammo and making sure your fortress has enough ammunition to go around.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 02:12:52 pm »

I should mention that in my weekly DnD game, I've started playing a dwarf wielding a longspear. His weapon is over twice as tall as he is.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4