Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's your weapon of choice?  (Read 3834 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your weapon of choice?
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:49:09 am »

Personally, what's your favourite weapon to kit out your dwarfs with? Nevermind which is stastically best, which do -you- prefer?

Personally, I find axes to be the most 'dwarfy' obviously, though I tend to lean towards maces or hammers, I like to think the sheer brutality of blunt force strikes fear into my foes. Spears are always a plus so long as it's not against undead or the other piercing resistant foes.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: What's your weapon of choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:51:33 am »

Swords have always been my favorite weapon in fantasy games. This probably dates back to playing the original Diablo, where my main character had something of a sword fixation.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:14:05 am »

I'm kinda weird about cuts IRL, so I generally go for blunt-force or piercing weapons like spears (or the humble pick, a mix of the two) in fantasy settings. For my dwarves, though, it's battle axes and serrated disc traps all the way.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:29:18 am »

Spears... Pokey, pokey...

and if throwing gets implemented in fortress mode... Throwy pokey..
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:38 am »

I love to make fully-armoured speardwarves as gate guards.  They're probably stastically useless, but I need them to look the part in my mind.

Plus they tend to deal with unarmoured thieves and snatchers in a most satisfying way!  Only yesterday a gatedwarf stabbed a kobold in the eye......and then twisted the spear round in the socket!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:41:06 am »

So long as the spears are of a good quality and the dwarves are well trained, the spears will probably be the best weapon to use against most organic enemies, since internal organs don't tend to get a kick out of being stabbed.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:41:38 am »

I like mining picks.
Make 'em out of steel, and they will chew through anything.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:50:34 am »

Do mining picks count as weapons? Or are they just used as part of wrestling?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:02 am »

Maces, because macedwarves are red, and this is very fitting. Armok is god of blood, y'know.
But if we set colors aside, I would prefer hammers for the guards and axes for the military.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:58:49 am »

Mining picks are both weapons and mining equipment.
Plus, the mining skill doubles as a fighting skill.
So, just max mining and fighter, and you'll have deadly dwarves.
I've managed to kill quite a few beasties with them.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 08:01:47 am »

I already posted a thread like this but I think it is really old now,but anyway MINING PICKS!they help forge the tunnels of your empire and they seem to pierce armour.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:42:06 am »

Also, don't forget about daggers. They are cool for adventuring, and you can throw them too.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 08:49:22 am »

Greatswords.

I just like the idea of stabbing someone with a chunk of metal as tall as my adventurer.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 09:15:04 am »

If only my dwarves could equip that adamantine two-handed sword...

I like swords!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:16:22 am »

As an adventurer? Well, my 31.X adventurer I keep returning to is a goblin with a bronze greatsword. I really need to get on making some adamantine stuff for him.

For my dwarves, though, it's axes all the way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4