Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A holiday gone horribly wrong: A freeform survival game  (Read 3089 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
A holiday gone horribly wrong: A freeform survival game
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:27:40 am »

Ok, I have had a hankering to do one of these for a while and I've decided to give it a go, just for the hell of it.

The basics:

This is a freeform game for four (4) players only, since I want to make it easy on myself and updating the status of multiple players becomes tedious. There will be no dice rolls, no random things unless I think there will be and anything you say in your action will auto succed unless the situation demands otherwise. How you play is simple: You each state what you want to do for your turn in normal english and your character will do their best towards that action. You must remember that this action can be impacted by multiple things (eg injuries, enviromental hazards, distractions etc) but you can word your action to take consideration of these impacting factors. (eg You wish to walk across a thin beam, which is difficult but because your character sees a rope hanging parallel above it, you can have your character hold onto this rope to make it easier to walk across, if you wish.) Fighting will also be handled this way, by stating the places that your character tries to hit or ways that they hit their target.

Your aim is survival. Mainly. Your life is paramount to your character, but you should also keep in mind the various things you can, or should, do to make this easier for yourself. You can help the other characters or players if you wish (this will certainly make some things easier for you in some cases), or go off on your own (may also be easier in the situation or may even be nesscessary). If you want to help other players or characters, you should state how you help them.

Status will also be simple, they will look like this:

Name
Health
Weapon (ammunition currently loaded will also be shown here)
Special clothing
Inventory
Any special exceptions
Location and current state if applicable

You must supply a character setup if you want to play which should be like the following:

Name
Looks (short and brief please)
Height (Either tall, normal or short. This will have an effect on your gameplay since tall people will have an easier time climbing things, reaching for things and have a longer arm span, but will have trouble ducking under things and fitting in small places. Short people will be able to duck under things better and fit in cramped spaces easier as well as being harder to hit, but will have trouble doing things that tall people will have an easier time with.)
Weight (Either light, normal or heavy. Heavier people will be natually stronger but harder to lift, light people will be able to shift their weight easier but will be weaker. Short people have a maximum weight of normal and tall people will have a minimum weight of normal. If you chose a height of normal, you can be any weight.)
History (I will supply these with the begining of the game, you can choose ONE. Each has it's benefits and each is different from each other.)

If you have any advice or questions about anything, just ask and I will answer.

Now, to set the scene!

Times have been good for Oswald Jones. He had recently made another 30 million dollars this morning and had even got a good review for one of his hotel's that he owned. Naturally, being a billionaire, he wanted to make the most of his money and decided to accomplish this by making even more money. He decided he would accomplish this by building a large themepark/museum on a private island that he owned. This location was important to him as not only would the island, being in the tropics, would set the overall theme of the park, but because he owned it he was less bound by the laws of the nearest goverment that decided what he could build there. Being in the tropics, he first decided that the museum would be about dinosaurs, since he loved them as a child and wanted to share his love of them to others. The park on the other hand would be themed as an indiana jones movie, which would suit itself with the natural character of the island which not only had a large cave system, but also a extinct volcano, which he was sure the tourists would love to visit.

After the construction was finished on the themepark, he decided that there would be a large hotel on the island, to take advantage of the tourists limitation of what they could see in one day, after all, how much tour guides can someone take part in inside a single day without a rest. He made sure that the hotel was not only top of the line, but that there was also many hiking tracks and tours all over the island.

In short, after making a money machine that spanned over 20 square kilometers and many more with the tracks, he decided that he should celebrate with a selected group of people, namely his family and a few trusted business partners. Most of the staff would arrive later in the week, but he was sure that they would all enjoy some time off.

History selections: Distant relative, minor business associate, early staff member.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A holiday gone horribly wrong: A freeform survival game
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:43:07 am »

Name: Randy "Strife" Gordon
Looks: Short shaved brown hair, glasses.
Height: Short
Weight: Normal
History: Early Staff
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:35:32 am »

Name: Cobra "Jerry" Jones
Looks: Lab coat, safety goggles, brown hair.
Height: Short
Weight: Light
History: Distant Relative

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:45:24 am »

Name:George Georgeson The 42nd
looks:black tee shirt, black hair, tired look, sunglasses
height:normal
weight: normal
History: buisness partner

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:55:16 am »

Name: Will "Org" Jenkins
Looks: Medium length brown hair, blue eyes
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: Normal
History: Minor Business Partner.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:14:22 am »

Hopefully 6'0" is tall, so that we can reach high places.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »

I meant tall. >_>

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »

Excellent, a nice mix of characters and histories. I would like to remind you that if you miss your turn then your character will automatically follow someone else if there is another player or character around or will do nothing but stand there. And I would really appreciate someone telling me how to post pictures on the forums.

And without further adu, the first turn!

Turn 1

The helicopter traveled across the ocean channel at a steady pace. It was loaded with 6 passengers, all of them excited to see the new island themepark that Oscar had built, except for one, a man named Randy, who would be working there in the future and was less excited since he had already paid a short trip to look over the hotel rooms. One of the passengers, a man named Will,  looked out the window and say that they were traveling over land.

"Hey look. We're almost there."

Everyone gazed out the windows to get a look at this new island park, each wondering what the place will look like on the ground. As far as each could tell, the entire island was covered in jungle, thick vegetation dominated the entire surrounding land with thea clearing every now and then with what looked like car depo's. Then the park came into view. It's rollercoaster tracks emerging from the trees like the skeleton of a mountain, rising and twining around what appeared to be a small mountain. There was a large building, shaped like a DNA strand, that was actually rotating with the wind.

"Gotta hand it to him, Oscar knows how to build a sweet hotel." said a man called George, raising his sunglasses in a bored manner. He was also less excited, or at least was openly.

"Is that actually turning? Sweet, I can't wait to stay in that." replied a somewhat short man called Cobra or Jerry as he liked to be known. He adjusted a set of lab goggles on his forehead, which as well as his lab coat decreed that he was a scientist of some sort. George looked out the window impaitently, anxious to get on the ground and noticed that they were slowing as they approached a clearing that was near the actual volcano. The seatbelt light lit up on the overhead and everyone clicked their seatbelts into place.

"Are we landing? I hope we're landing, I hate flying." anxiously whimpered a young lady in jeans and a pink t-shirt. It was true that she hated flying, she was on the edge of her seat the whole way from the mainland.

"Yes dear, we're landing. You can relax now." calmly replied a older woman who was wearing a black dress decorated with white spots. Both had blond hair and had sat next to each other so it was assumed that they were related.

And it was true that they were landing, as the helicopter decended into the trees and hit the tarmac with a bump. The young lady let out a large sigh of relief and visibly relaxed. Two people in white and red came running over to the helicopter, bend over in the wind and opened the doors, yelling over the engine to the passengers.

"Welcome! Come on out, we have a ride for you to the main complex!"

Everyone hopped out and ran, hunched over to the 2 nearby jeeps. The lady and her daughter hopped in one of them.

"Well sirs, are you going to hop in or not? 3 people to a jeep preferrably."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:16:30 pm »

Org:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ibot66:

Barbarossa the Seal God:

Strife26:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:24:09 pm by Zako »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »

I jump in one of the unoccupied ones!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:26:32 pm »

I jump in one of the unoccupied ones!
I'll jump in with Org.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55:15 am »

Jump in.

Apologies for the tardy posting.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 06:44:11 am »

I jump in the one not full.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »

I read this, but all I hear in my head is a song... This song:

Dun dun, dun dun, dundundun, dundun, dun dun! Dun dun dun dun, dundundun dun, dun, dundun!

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »

Jurrrasic park and indiana jones seem to be main insparation. Wait, did he mention diosaurs?oshit. good thing i read jurrasic park.
Pages: [1] 2