Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf caravan, Goblin liaison?  (Read 1797 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Dwarf caravan, Goblin liaison?
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:27:10 am »

I started another new game, got my first caravan full of dwarf merchants and it came along with a goblin liaison. 

Wat?

He was very friendly and even greeted me "From the Mountainhomes."  Checking the civilization screen, I only see Dwarven, which I find sort of suspicious.  Is it possible that in this region, the dwarves conquered everyone?  Will I have sieges?  I've never seen this sort of thing before.  I'm a little confused.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf caravan, Goblin liaison?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:29:30 am »

Yes, he's probably an (at least) second-generation goblin, whose parents were subjugated by the dwarves and integrated into glorious bearded society. Thus, he grew up as a dwarf.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:02 am »

Be nice to him, he's bound to be very insecure about his lack of facial hair.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:27:37 pm »

If he has a goblin name, he was abducted as a child.  If a dwarf name, he was born and raised dwarvish.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:51:05 pm »

I knew goblins would come abduct your dwarven kids, who you might see later as "goblin" invaders but I didn't realize it went the other way too.  Cool.  Now I want to abduct some goblin kids. 

His name seemed pretty goblin-ish although I don't remember what it was exactly.  "Smurtu Narthap" or something like that.  He seemed happy enough.  I wish I had thought to look at his detailed description to see if it might have said anything about his childhood.  (Has anyone actually looked at an abductee to see what their full description looks like?)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »

Sometimes happens.

In my current fortress the human liaison was a forgotten beast!  :o

He was rampaging around destroying everything until I managed to wall him off and arranged for him to have an "unfortunate accident". It produced around 1,000 units of food after butchering, and one of my dwarves went into a fey mood and made a leather bag out of its hide.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:00:05 pm »

It seems the humans have a rather high rate, lately, of getting nasties as their liaisons/lawgivers.  I read about the demon lawgivers coming on the bug tracker, and then had it happen right after to my fortress.  I think it saw me reading the bug tracker.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:56 pm »

Be on the watch for a liason from the Mountainhome who is actually a human named Carrot.   <.<   >.>
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »

Be on the watch for a liason from the Mountainhome who is actually a human named Carrot.   <.<   >.>
What do you mean, there's a noble serving as captain of the guard?
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.