Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: controlled cave in  (Read 339 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
controlled cave in
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:12 am »

I have a bunch of exploratory mining tunnels that jus look ugllllllllllllly... any way to recave in those areas that no longer serve a purpose?

o and fortress guard.. do they still exist in the latest version? i cant figure out how to set any as the wiki way doesnt work
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:12:52 am by shibdib »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: controlled cave in
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:28:30 am »

I have a bunch of exploratory mining tunnels that jus look ugllllllllllllly... any way to recave in those areas that no longer serve a purpose?

o and fortress guard.. do they still exist in the latest version? i cant figure out how to set any as the wiki way doesnt work

I'm guessing you mean as in "fill the tunnels".   Controlled Cave-Ins are generally removal processes (at least from "where the rock you're caving in comes from").

There's only really two ways that (I can think of that) will block up tunnels 'solidly', there's building walls in them (may not be possible in stairwell shafts, depends on what access you have to the squares involved) and there's obsidian-making, i.e. dumping some magma in, then following with water (might be harder in horizontal tunnels, without creating a whole infrastructure and additional tunnels to feed the liquids in[1]).

And, what's more, it never looks like "virgin" rock.  The best you can do is dig out a whole swathe and wall/obsidianise that whole swathe, for a more aesthetic (but completely revealed) look.  Otherwise, you end up with 'snakes' of wall or obsidian (at best) through your tunnels.

I think, practically, you're mostly going to be looking at thinking of something to do with the areas around the exploratory tunnels and expanding them into full-blown rooms/service corridors, if you really don't want them to show up as blatantly what they were.

(ICBW, YMMV, HTH, HAND)

[1] Coincidentally, the other day I set about to 'design' a way of making a creeping fortress, an isolated underground setup (except for regularly tapping into some hypothetical magma and water supplies) that could coat the rear end of its track with obsidian, layered as in the 1s, 2s, 3s, travelling in the direction of the 'L-arrow'.  It needs to be a bigger back wall than that, and is prone to errors (isolated bubbles of maga water or void are easily left in)
Code: [Select]
####11111
###222221
##3333321
#     321
#   / 321
#  L  32#
#     3##
#########