Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I love levers. One of them works one time, and then they all give you the bird.  (Read 881 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

For AT LEAST half an hour, I have been trying to get some freaking water out of my base that a random happy NPC gladly let the wrong floodgate down for (as in, one side was protected by a door and my farm wasn't, because they were more concerned about the massive amount of stones I told them not to mess with). I've tried letting the door open, both floodgates, and all from two levers. One I built on my main level in a little niche (due to there being a murky pond right above me) and the other I freaking tunneled down to the flooded floor's level. I even tried unlocking the floor hatches, risking a flood so many z-levels down it wouldn't be funny, so the Dwarves could "access the floor". I tried both ways of lever order, with the action before and after the link. NOTHING IS WORKING AND MY GAME IS BEING STALLED FOR NO REASON.

All it says when they """try""" is "Dwarfy McDwarf, Professional Dwarf, cancels Link a Building to Trigger: Cannot reach site."

Of course you can't reach it, IT'S UNDER WATER. That's what floodgates are for!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:01:13 am by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile

I had this problem. I ended up building a few screw pumps on the level above to keep the water level low enough fix the problem while there was still water leaking in.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

None of my dwarves have pumping.

If I put a new farm underneath where I was going to put my failed one, would it be irrigated?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Give it to some of 'em through the labor preferences: v, p, l, engineering.

Building a pump takes a giant corkscrew made of wood or metal, a block, and a pipe section (wood, metal, or glass). Pretty sure the actual construction of the pump takes architecture and metalworking or masonry (depending on material). You make it on the level above where the water is. If the water is 7/7 and pressurized you'll just flood a level higher up than the leak.  In any case, you might want to take a look at the pumps page on the wiki here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump

This is the part where losing gets fun :)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

I can either pump it into my base, back into the stream, or get started on a very big canal.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it's not a pressurized flood I'd just pump it into a safe place in my base, where it could spread out and evaporate, cause I'm kind of lazy.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

It's direct from the stream. There's fish swimming in my base.

Good news, everyone! You need Pumping to make pumps, and none of my guys have any skill in that!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

You know what, I'm just gonna make a 28x30 channel.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can just assign people that labor. They'll learn it as they practice, and they'll construct the things just fine, if a little slower than someone who's a pro.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And to clarify, the pumping skill is only required to use the pump. As Passive mentioned, separate skills are required for the crafting of its components and its final construction. All of those skills can be toggled from the labour preference screen for your individual dwarves, or through an external utility like Dwarf TheRapist.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

They don't want to build the stupid pumps. I've had the qued for half an hour. And none of the new immigrants have it either. I'm gonna finish up the big canal and then that's it.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't ever need skill in order to perform a labor. You only need to enable the labor. Make sure you have a dwarf with Architecture enabled to build the pumps.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good news, everyone! You need Pumping to make pumps, and none of my guys have any skill in that!
No. Building a pump requires the materials (1 pipe, 1 enormours screw, 1 block), one architect, and perhaps one mason or carpenter, depending on what sort of block you're using.

If a building isn't being built, then "q" over it and check out what skill it requires.

Then just assign that skill to any lazy dwarf that you got. Use Dwarf Therapist, or hassle around with the "u" menu to find the lazy lurkabouts, "c" onto their position, "v" them to view them, "p" them to get their preferences, then set "l" for their labours, scroll around and just select whatever is needed.

You NEVER need to be dependant on what random set of skills your immigrants arrive with. Every lazy peasant can become your legendary blacksmith or legendary miner, if you want them to be that, if you assign them these labours and have a little bit of patience.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Labours and skill in a labour are two different but related things. Any of your dwarves can build a Rock Salt Door, but if they're not a skilled mason, they're not going to be churning out masterwork Rock Salt Doors.

Migrants to my fortress are very often disappointed, since I don't give a rat's ass if you're a Legendary Cheese Maker (it's really just easier on my embark to import cheese)... my fourth miner just hit Legendary+5, and I need a new recruit to the digging caste. Here's your pick, sucker.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

Oh, then the problem was my lack of blocks. However, I accidentally made my game crash, so now I get to start over. YAY.

On the bright side, now I know how to mass reclaim junk.