Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Depot Access Flashing - Make kinder to players with seizures.  (Read 4663 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile

As someone who deals with seizures I have to say the red/green flashing is pretty brutal, and a few times brought me close to having a seizure.  I ususally look away from the screen and try to see it from the corner of my eye nowadays.  (This became more of an issue for me when resolutions were unlocked and i could play at full screen)

There are a few ways this could be fixed simply:
1. Make the interval between flashes greater
2. Use a different set of colors, the Red/Green combo is just awful for me, I'm guessing I'd do better if it were colors that weren't complete opposites.
3. Part of the problem is that the flashes replace data that I am processing, that is, during the glimpses of the map my mind is collecting data about it, but is interrupted by the flash, then is allowed to go back to collecting data, then interrupted right away again.  Perhaps a good way to do it would be to have the "D" command put solid green Xs over the accessible areas, without flashing, just remain on screen until "D" is released.

Thanks.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Depot Access Flashing - Make kinder to players with seizures.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »

I don't have problems with seizures, but it is very stressing on the eyes to see depot access flashing and the flash of deconstructing floors and walls and whatever else is included.

An alternative would be nice.

If it were possible to have a translucent tile over the normal tiles, that'd be ok.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:45:59 pm »

Wow... I almost never use it just because the flashing is plain annoying, but I never considered that.

Considering how so few things flash rapidly in the game, I should hope it could be simply slowed down to the same speed most of the rest of the game changes at.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:48:34 pm »

Or rather have it so you can toggle when it flashes on and off. I used the thing once and never touched it again cause the flashing is annoying.

creidieki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:20 am »

Since this is a very specific issue (one particular screen that needs to be changed), I went ahead and filled out a report at the bug tracker for it.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2575

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:10 am »

Its also annoying on the eyes for me as well, so I use it in short bursts. I don't have a problem with siezures, but I agree here since its hard on the eyes anyway. Same goes for the flashing deconstruct designation when its done in really large areas as thats hard on the eyes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

As a workaround, /data/init/colors.txt allows you to change how DF displays colors.  Many mods (such as Mayday's graphics pack) use these settings to reduce the brightness of the game's colors and give it a more muted/desaturated look.  You can also experiment with different tilesets or manually edit the W and X tiles.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:13:33 am »

One option would be to frame the tiles with a static color. No need for irritating flashing at all.

rlbond86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:20:17 am »

Or, better yet, Depot access could avoid flashing red areas and only flash the green ones.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:21:01 pm »

or just color the tiles according to access
The great game of Warlocks!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:17 pm »

Agreed, the super omg flashing gives me a headache. :(

When I first saw the depot access display I thought, "Wow, this is going to give someone a seizure."
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 05:29:40 pm »

Agreed, i (probably) don't have seizures but i know the screen you're talking about, and it was painful to look at.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:03:01 pm »

Damp stone when doing designations also needs to stop flashing. While we're at it, everything that currently flashes needs to do something else. We got all that fancy stuff from the merge, it shouldn't be hard to create some other equally informative effect.
(or just wait for someone to make an anti-flashing utility  :) )

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:39 pm »

Damp stone when doing designations also needs to stop flashing. While we're at it, everything that currently flashes needs to do something else. We got all that fancy stuff from the merge, it shouldn't be hard to create some other equally informative effect.
(or just wait for someone to make an anti-flashing utility  :) )

I know you're being sarcastic, buut, I've gotta respond, soo....

At least the damp stone doesn't flash in all or most of the screen, unless maybe you're using reveal and are looking at an aquifer. Same thing goes for warm stone. Its really the bright colors that are the issue with the building remove designation and the depot access. Building related designations aren't as bad, but when you're working where there are alot of constructions, it can get annoying.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:17 pm »

I know you're being sarcastic, buut, I've gotta respond, soo....

Only the utility part was sarcasm (although I think even that is entirely plausible), I honestly do think all the flashing needs to go away, for all the reasons described.
Pages: [1] 2