Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Depot Access Flashing - Make kinder to players with seizures.  (Read 4662 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depot Access Flashing - Make kinder to players with seizures.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 07:44:08 pm »

The flashing blue isn't as bad as the flashing green and red, but yeah I'd like to see hot stone and damp stone warnings stay solid instead of flashing too.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 08:08:06 pm »

Cant bump this thread hard enough! The depot access display makes my eyes *BLEED*

Damp and warm stone isnt such a problem because you never see ENTIRE SCREENS FULL at once.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:37 pm »

Those other color flashes aren't as rapid as the Depot Access one, either.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 07:53:20 am »

What would really be nice would be to have something like transparent color overlays, that you could just give tiles a red/green tint to them for this.  And it would be useful for other things like miasma/smoke/steam/mist/etc too.  Or, since I just came from that thread, used for other display modes, like telling what the temperature of a certain location is by color, like a red/blue shade overlay.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »

I'm just lending my support.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 12:08:45 am »

This problem also comes up when mass-designating traffic restrictions.  I haven't had a seizure yet but I think I've came close once or twice trying to get that last little FPS boost.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:30:14 am »

All flashing will be fixed in the Full Graphics Support phase! All hail Full Graphics Support!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 01:40:07 pm »

It looks like current system can handle alpha channel in tileset.
A few possible option (maybe name it Information Overlay?)
1. Alpha mask - It will look like a semi-transparent screen covering the effected area when turned on.  Depot Access will have a 50% alpha (adjustable?) of red and green over it.
2. Slow fade - Instead of discreet flashes, have it fade back and forth (basically, have a transition, probably less straining on the eye).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 03:20:37 pm »

It looks like current system can handle alpha channel in tileset.
A few possible option (maybe name it Information Overlay?)
1. Alpha mask - It will look like a semi-transparent screen covering the effected area when turned on.  Depot Access will have a 50% alpha (adjustable?) of red and green over it.
2. Slow fade - Instead of discreet flashes, have it fade back and forth (basically, have a transition, probably less straining on the eye).

Yeah, I've been lobbying for this sort of thing to become part of DF for a variety of things.

(For example, having a temperature overlay, or a miasma/bad air overlay, etc.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 07:22:48 pm »

Part of the problem with alpha overlays might be whether or not the legacy game can handle it. It can't use transparent PNGs - can the legacy engine support transparency at all?

If not, it may be time to consider whether or not the legacy branch continues, before implementing such non-flashing yet non-occluding solutions.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »

Baughn is in the process of making a sexy new shader mode so we are probably going to be able to either totally fix, or greatly reduce the pain of flashing things in custom tilesets.

And legacy can be for the hardcore who consider it un-dwarfy if you dont have at least one grand-mal seizure while playing :D
Pages: 1 [2]