Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Curse of Slade: Draconian Dwarves  (Read 2895 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
The Curse of Slade: Draconian Dwarves
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:07:03 pm »

Well, I have a noble who mandates Slade. The person who suffered the punishment was my legendary Armorsmith, 76 days in the slammer. Well, during their imprisonment, no one brought them food or water. Don't know why, there's plenty of available water at the well, and there's enough food to feed the fortress for 20 years, if I were to stop all food production right now.

When they got to dehydration level, I deconstructed their prison so they could go feed themselves, after it was certain no one else would. As they were getting themselves food and water, one of my soldiers came up to them and cut off their legs and broke their arms and skull with their sword. Apparently punishment for not filling out the last 25 days of the sentence. Now my dwarf is lying in a hospital bed subjected to a healthcare system shittier than our own (We have all the resources and skill you could want, but no one is doing the work), bleeding to death and dying from dehydration.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: The Curse of Slade: Draconian Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:11:54 pm »

I say it's time that noble who started the mess pulls the lever.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:27 pm »

Do you have any free buckets for water?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:41:08 pm »

About 50 buckets. You could say the dwarf spends too much time trying to determine which bucket they want to use that day.

And I have a solution for dwarves that fuck up *Like the one soldier that couldn't stop renaming their weapon.*. I have a Dragon sitting in a cage in my fortress. Granted, he has a broken leg from the last guy he has to kill *see above*, but he can take a fucking noble.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:59 am »

Well, I have a noble who mandates Slade. The person who suffered the punishment was my legendary Armorsmith, 76 days in the slammer.
I believe the way to fix this is to replace "my legendary Armorsmith" with "the noble", and "slammer" with "magma sea".
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:46:34 am »

May I ask, Quantum,
how you intend to retrieve
this noble's body?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:58:13 am »

May I ask, Quantum,
how you intend to retrieve
this noble's body?
Magma is bone-meltingly hot. Just sayin'.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

plus he's a noble, who cares what happens to him?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:20:17 am »

plus he's a noble, who cares what happens to him?
... He would?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:01 am »

Much better to use chains as prisons than cages. You can place food stockpiles next to the chain and the prisoner feeds themselves.

I've found the best way to build prisons is to build a masterwork chain of aluminum or other highly valuable metal, surrounded by a bed, chair, table, and two 1x1 stockpiles, one that only holds drink and one that only holds solid food. Extra spaces should be occupied by as valuable statues or other furniture as possible. Even better if you build it next to a recirculating waterfall.

Anyone who disobeys a noble should be treated like a king!
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:16 pm »

Ditto.  All my prisons are all "white collar resort prisons."  Gold chains, masterwork engravings, quality beds with masterwork encrusted glass, and a nearby stockpile of food and drink. 

Also all troublesome nobles are dealt with before they become a problem.  Always check their preferences and stage an "unfortunate accident" with any that have a preference for things like slade, adamantine, or crystal glass.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:46:53 pm »

i have this room  a build of  gem windows in my dining room its 3x3 and has a 40z lvl drop its made just for nobles( or whats left of them when they hit the ground) its on display for the fort to see it keep the population in line.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 12:49:56 pm »

just kill all law inforcement

>8D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 02:58:53 pm »

I've found the best way to build prisons is to build a masterwork chain of aluminum or other highly valuable metal, surrounded by a bed, chair, table, and two 1x1 stockpiles, one that only holds drink and one that only holds solid food.

I've tried that in the past, but it doesn't actually work - aside from every other dwarf eating and drinking from the jail cells, a 1-tile booze stockpile will never be refilled because it will always end up occupied by a single empty barrel (reserved for holding new food items, and never used for brewing tasks).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 03:29:15 pm »

1. Make sure there are buckets, water source, and a dwarf that wants to do the job (verified--I did read the thread)
2. Don't put dwarves in Cages, ever. Some people claim that dwarves in cages will be fed and watered--I've never seen a dwarf in a cage being given food or water.
3. Any chained dwarves should have a 1-tile stockpile on either side of the chain. One should contain a barrel of liquor and the other should contain prepared food (no barrels).
4. ---> Imprisoned dwarves can now feed themselves without anyone's help.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2 3