Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's your favourite thing about 0.31?  (Read 1669 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your favourite thing about 0.31?
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »

There are a lot of threads about the bad things going on with 0.31, mostly the military glitches and the new military screen. However, there aren't any threads praising the many good things that 0.31 introduced, so I thought I'd make a thread for them!

Personally, I really like the healthcare and combat reports, even though bonesetting and gypsum plaster are bugged which is annoying. It's really cool reading through my dorfs' medical records and checking out their wounds before and after treatment and such. Plus, combat reports are, to me, a good way of checking your dorf's shortfalls in combat, be it lack of training or the wrong type of weapon for the job (spears for undead and such).

Another thing I like is the caverns, I haven't actually broken into one yet, but just the idea that all that crazy stuff is going on right below me is awesome, and the fact that I can go down there and interact with it exictes me. The only reason I haven't gone in yet is because I don't feel I can get a worthy military together to brave it thanks to the glitches. Though, if anyone could tell me some workarounds to get one that would be excellent.

My all out favourite thing in 0.31, though, is the seemingly increased rate of crazy things happening. There was a dwarf in my last fortress, who was named Arrowdorf, who decided to go chill out in my open-air refuse pile. At the time, there was a goblin ambush made entirely of bowmen on the level above and they instantly began unloading their bows into him. He stood there, completely oblivious, until an arrow pierced his spine and he could stand there oblivious anymore. After that, a brave dwarf ran in and got him out of there, and took him to the hospital. I checked, and there were over 100 arrows stuck in that dwarf, and he was still alive. The only reason he died was because the medical dwarfs were busy attending to Urist McGrazedknees first.

That is why I love Dwarf Fortress, especially 0.31.

So what's your favourite thing about it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:10:19 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favourite thing about 0.31?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:40 pm »

personally, I've never used the hospital system, and the only time I breach the caverns is I'm heading for adamantine.

My favourite thing, though, would have to  the new military system- sure it's bugged to high hell, but once Toady works the glitches out in the next couple updates, it'll be a lot easier to use than past models.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »

I wouldn't say it'd be easier, but it'd be a crapton more flexible and potent. I've gotten to grips with the new military screen and I love it, it takes all the guesswork out of getting your dwarfs to use the right materials and weapons that you want.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:12:53 pm »

I wouldn't say it'd be easier, but it'd be a crapton more flexible and potent. I've gotten to grips with the new military screen and I love it, it takes all the guesswork out of getting your dwarfs to use the right materials and weapons that you want.

That's exactly what I meant. Once Toady irons out the hiccups, it'll fit in with DF nicely- complicated until you know what you're doing, but incredibly in-depth.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

KitsuneStudios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:00:45 pm »

Once military bugs are worked out and the actions codified, it'll be great. Ditto the hoospital.

The elves actually have goods worth trading for.

Trading sand makes my glassworkers happy less likely to go insane.

Caverns and magma everywhere? Fun!

Increased ores mean that I no longer have to worry about embarking in a calciferous sedimentary layer and finding no fuel at all.

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

I like the caverns; the very idea that once you have your fort started and start exploring the underworld, you run into caverns filled with new beasties, threats and resources. It's a different place for wildlife to roam, for invasions to take place, a different place to set up camp, or even potentially finding other civilizations (seeing 'Unknown Olmman civilization' on my civs screen just screams potential).

And I like how there's much more action. Makes me wish the military was more (easily) controllable, but I never had sieges this dangerous come so fast, and in 0.28 I've never had a megabeast, now I seem to get them every year (which admittedly would be a bit too much if megabeasts were hard to kill, instead of too easy OR unkillable).
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »

I love how much more freedom has been given to people in defining the DF world and how it is generated.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:30:54 pm »

I can set up a dairy and feed my fortress entirely on cheese based meals.  Cheese fortress.

No matter where I embark, I'll be able to reach magma, underground trees, water, and HFS.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:45:13 pm »

Combat reports.

Military stuff & Hospitals.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:05 am »

Has anyone really used the burrows? I've not gotten to grips with them yet but there seems to be a lot of potential.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:41 am »

I use an overall underground/inside burrow to keep my dwarves from wandering outside during sieges.  I also have a few small burrows used to force emergency jobs to be done.  I have one small burrow covering just my trade depot that I use to force the broker to actually trade, one which covers just the baroness's office to force her to meet with diplomats, and one that covers the emergency fortress defense lever room to force dwarves to go there and pull the levers immediately.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:47:03 am »

Caverns has to be my favourite thing.

I also like that iron is more available than before.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:35:27 am »

I likes me some HFS.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04:18 pm »

Iron is plentiful and magma safe. That is HUGE.

Speaking of huge, I make one huge royal bedroom with enough beds for everyone, assign the room to whatever my highest noble is, and everyone stays ecstatic. I still give everyone their own room with a bed, cabinet, and chest, but they never use it except to collect clothes or when they're on break.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »

Well, as soon as the bugs with the military and healthcare systems get worked out, I see MASSIVE potential in them. Seems like if the military screen really was in full working order, I could pretty much make the military autonomous and never have to bother with it again.
Pages: [1] 2