Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: simulating DF on another PC for higher FPS...  (Read 835 times)

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
simulating DF on another PC for higher FPS...
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »

Hi guys, was wondering if any of you know how to do this...

The OH and I each have our own PCs, since neither of us is capable of sharing when we want to game!  OH PC has a much better processor than mine, running DF at insane high FPS even at high pop cap.  I've heard it is possible to emulate my DF game on the OH's machine, so my PC takes advantage of the processor.  Anyone have any idea how to do this?
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: simulating DF on another PC for higher FPS...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »

RDP (Remote Desktop) through 1Gbit connection, that is the simplest solution if your on the same network. Or you can use a VNC server and client.
 I use a VNC server and client to control my pc from my phone, but it's extremely slow. But I would expect a desktop pc to handle that much faster.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:07:22 pm by s20dan »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 09:40:42 pm »

Wait a minute, are you both saying you can run dwarf fortress via a net work of computers, i.e. the intertubes!?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »

There is the Dfterm that might be useful. Just have your friend host while you get the control.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:58:43 am »

Okay, the OH has DFTerm... I have putty.

How do we connect the 2?

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:13:55 am »

*EDIT*

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2631

Here is where I am at.  Problem is, I can't get anything to do anything.  The screen for starting a new game doesn't show any slots... just shows to go back to main menu

So!  Does anyone know how, at this point, I get it to let me launch a new game?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:27:52 am by Bunny »

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:58:24 am »

Sorry I lost track of this thread.

Wait a minute, are you both saying you can run dwarf fortress via a net work of computers, i.e. the intertubes!?

Yes totally do-able. But not practical. I can play Dwarf fortress on my Blackberry... but would I want to since It has a speed akin to dial-up.
  Now, if anyone has say a Nexus one or HTC Desire (The Desire's OEM-type OS makes this a pain in the arse) , then they can play ball, although its still very slow.

If you have 2 windows pcs on a network, you can try it right now. Simply use Remote Desktop and connect. Play DF from the small computer while the beast runs it.
 In case you don't know Remote Desktop comes with windows. But you will want at least XP Professional for the proper version.

You can also get programs like this for other machines. IE.. Phones. So you can control your desktop via your phone, and anything that you run will be sent over the network to your phone, IE a video or game like Dwarf Fortress.

Lets say you have an Archos for example. You can install the relevent VNC client (VNC is like Remote desktop, I have had more luck getting VNC to run over internet than RDP) that will work with that OS, then run a VNC server that works with the desktop OS. Now connect to the server with the Client.  Now you can control your desktop pc from your Archos, including run some games ect. I'm sure not all games would work, but something like DF should have no problems.

As for DFTerm, I have never used it.  AFAIK a handful of people have managed to get that working on Android phones like the HTC.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:12:21 pm by s20dan »