Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76

Author Topic: Up with Feudalism  (Read 74874 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Up with Feudalism
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2010, 02:32:28 am »

You said the "G" word!
I said it as a Informational Announcement, which does not count. future versions of The List will have it as "g****" and have a note saying to ask someone in private if you wish to know what word it is.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2010, 02:37:45 am »

Somebody can always just look to the earlier posts if they really want to know.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2010, 02:55:05 am »

Lordy lordy, ya'll have been busy.  Y'know, when I made this thread, I thought it would be a lot of working trying to make something meaningful out of my love of Feudalism, that I'd have to wrangle the thread back on topic and keep the personal comments to a minimum.

Then I remembered that I'm lazy.  That I think is the key to a successful autocracy, an apathetic overlord.  And unlike Inaluct's Hellspawned parliment of yore, I won't be crashing the capitol building on Toady's lawn (so relax Jack).

Just wind'em up and watch'em go...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2010, 03:04:05 am »

Yeah, with you as a forum mandated ruler, nothing will go wrong.

Unless it pans out the same way it did when you were at the helm last time.

But no, I don't have any real fears. Nobody's going to let it get out of hand.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2010, 03:05:50 am »

Remember, this is GD.
We at least try to be more civil than VN was.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2010, 03:07:26 am »

Yeah, with you as a forum mandated ruler, nothing will go wrong.

Unless it pans out the same way it did when you were at the helm last time.

Oh yeah, that other time I was elected monarch.  Okay, well, a lot of bad shit went down while I was in charge, but no bad shit went down because I was in charge.  You have to give me that much.  I mean, it's pretty much definitional.  You all have no one to blame but yourselves is what I'm getting at.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2010, 03:36:41 am »

So, out of interest, how would this work for regular people? I mean, you don't have enough space in your backyard to grow all that much, I'm willing to bet. I certainly wouldn't. I remember you saying you could apply it to things outside of agriculture. Would that essentially mean not much change for people? Just continue your job but a portion of everything that you make goes to the government? How would that work for people working in communication, or in information - like, you were a company's IT guy? Would the state just take a percentage of your earnings or would you just get a different job, that'd be more beneficial to you or your family?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2010, 03:41:24 am »

I'm kind of wondering how this could work for coding. And for teaching.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:05 am »

I want a fieftom on the badlands. Zero Fertility and Therefore Reliance On Profits From Banditry, Outrageous Tolls and Smuggling for the win!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2010, 03:51:41 am »

So, out of interest, how would this work for regular people? I mean, you don't have enough space in your backyard to grow all that much, I'm willing to bet. I certainly wouldn't. I remember you saying you could apply it to things outside of agriculture. Would that essentially mean not much change for people? Just continue your job but a portion of everything that you make goes to the government?

Those are some very important questions, in need of very detailed answers.  Which I will answer, when I'm done designing a metal-as-fuck banner for my kingdom.

Alright, I'll throw something out on principle.  Essentially, it wouldn't have to work much differently from a modern economy.  The only real difference between medieval industry and modern industry is that we have much more precise ways of calculating and demonstrating relative monetary value.  The key different element of Feudalism, and I'm probably pulling this out of my ass, is that while it uses an income tax like most modern government-regulated economies, it's drawn up backwards.  Instead of forking over a percentage of whatever value you make, you as a fief within the country (and if we're taking this beyond agriculture it's not even tied to land, just citizenship and a locality) must be able to fork over a certain amount of value, and you get to keep whatever you earn beyond that.

In exchange for paying a set rate, you get all your normal civic services, like roads, law enforcement, and military protection.  But because the foundation of the government is on the entire working class paying its due, it's more or less against the law to be poor or unemployed.  And if you break that fundamental law, then God knows an autocratic military state knows how to make jobs for people.  By extension, that pretty much means that you can't emigrate or trade outside the nation without permit or take up arms or really anything that the government does, because that's what it's there for.  It would kind of silly otherwise, to be taking up all that value when you're doing the government's job.

And for those of you getting worried, remember that I'm your King.  I would never ask anyone to do something I wouldn't do, and while I have essentially no pride, ethics, standards, or squeamishness, I don't like working very hard.  History may well be on my side in that one - my economics professor was (claimed to be) writing a book about medieval economics.  He said he found all kinds of evidence that the average peasant only worked about five hours a day.  That's what all the fairs and tourneys and markets and taverns were for, everyone was partying all the time.  (And it's a very well documented but rarely mentioned fact that most of humanity for most of history was drunk off its collective ass.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:53:21 am by Aqizzar »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2010, 04:46:53 am »

The answer you give to this question will make every difference to whether or not your feudalism works in my books. May a baron, or person in control of a fiefdom field their own private army, provided that they've sworn vassalige (is that spelt right?) to the king?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2010, 05:10:09 am »

Aqizzar, considering the timezone in our various portions of the planet...

When do you sleep you crazy son-of-a-gun?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2010, 05:35:52 am »

You know, I think you're starting to sell me on this feudalism idea. Serfdom, here I come!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2010, 05:56:38 am »

You can be my serf anytime, Jackrabbit.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2010, 05:59:40 am »

You can be my serf anytime, Jackrabbit.

Hmmm.

Would you like to join my holy order? We're forbidden from carnal knowledge...

...of women.

Your innuendo indicates that you'll fit right in.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 76