Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76

Author Topic: Up with Feudalism  (Read 74747 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Up with Feudalism
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »

Except that clothes have higher protection than mithril mail.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »

It'd be super great if we could do Feudalism without (literally?) tying our subjects into fiefs.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 05:08:23 pm »

And, you know, the requirement of a slave caste to keep things running. I would prefer not to be burned by the serfs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 05:18:16 pm »

That's why you have knights and stuff.  At least until crossbows and stuff are invented, there's no way the serfs can rise up.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »

Crossbows existed for a while during the age of feudalism, but the Popes tried their hardest to keep them banned. They said it was ungodly to  kill the hard trained knights with ease, using a new weapon that requires little training.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 05:25:25 pm »

Knight of Time has been fulfilled my liege.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

A skilled crossbowman shot ten times slower than a skilled bowman. Popes were in the right.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 05:26:42 pm »

A knight with a crossbow against a serf with a crossbow is like a modern day soldier against a hick with a rifle.
Yeah, the untrained guy might take down the trained soldier, but really, the soldier has the clear advantage.
Just because the crossbow can pierce armour doesn't mean they'll hit their target.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »

Crossbows existed for a while during the age of feudalism, but the Popes tried their hardest to keep them banned. They said it was ungodly to  kill the hard trained knights with ease, using a new weapon that requires little training.

OMFG XBOWS OVERPOWERED COMEON ADMINS FIX DIS
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »

Yes, but the knights very rarely used even normal bows. The thing about crossbows is that they were able to punch through the knight's plate mail and chain mail like paper. Years of specalized training, destroyed in a single shot. So, it would be like a modern verteran solider with a machete and much training against a hick with a rifle.

EDIT: There was a special variation of crossbow they hated even more. I'll look it up.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:32:22 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »

The longbowman could shoot through the armour too, though.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 05:36:12 pm »

The longbowman could shoot through the armour too, though.
Just barely, and only with a hail of arrows. I found the (I can't belive I am about to say this) Pro version of the crossbow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbalest
The Arbalest.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 05:38:40 pm »

I'm not going to have a debate about medieval weaponry with you because neither of us are actually experts.

Longbows penetrating armour is shit I learned in high school history class,  though.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »

Yeah, arbalest is what you're looking for.

The point I was trying to make is that, without training, the serf would likely miss the knight or be at a range where the knight could dodge shots and use their sword.
And if the knight has a crossbow...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 05:41:49 pm »

goddamit people, the pope was  out to banning armies, not lone boltmen.
Why can't we watch the pope charades?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76