Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289411 times)

Pittsy

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me get the paper cup!
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1710 on: December 21, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »

Too bad Dorfs can't make/wield 2H swords, then Towersoared could use Towering Swords.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: December 22, 2012, 12:07:41 pm »

You can get two handed swords and longswords from human traders or human invaders.
Larger dwarves may be able to wield "two-handed sword"s or wield longswords one handed if they have some military training though.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Pittsy

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me get the paper cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: December 22, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »

I thought it was glitched so that even though they technically *could* wield mauls, 2H swords, the like, they wouldn't due the size being above some limit. Although, Dorfs will use longswords if you give them (or mod the raws to make them) and I think many can actually use them one handed.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: December 22, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

I had not heard of it but it looks like there is a bug like that.
It seems that the attribute modifiers to average body size are not being used when determining if a weapon can be used or not.
I my experience dwarves use longswords just fine and most of them can use them one handed.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: December 29, 2012, 12:40:11 pm »

About Derm's strength. There is one enemy Derm has never seen. An enemy as powerful as everything he has ever faced combined. An enemy that regenerates as quickly as it is damaged.

A necromancer.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:02 pm »

About Derm's strength. There is one enemy Derm has never seen. An enemy as powerful as everything he has ever faced combined. An enemy that regenerates as quickly as it is damaged.

A necromancer.
Those don't exist in this world.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »

I'm not proud of how long it took me to find my own damn secret control room in the last year-end map...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 31, 2012, 04:51:57 pm »

A necromancer.
Those don't exist in this world.
Too bad, I want to see this battle. Hack one in, you got that ettin out of the cage. You surely have a utility that can make one.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: December 31, 2012, 06:44:51 pm »

What he means it that this is 31.25, so there aren't any necromancers at all.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:19 pm »

Flame cancels rejoice: Stricken by melancholy :'(

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 01, 2013, 01:33:39 pm »

What he means it that this is 31.25, so there aren't any necromancers at all.

Maybe even earlier. No Bees either.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 02, 2013, 03:18:08 pm »

OOC: Happy New Year everyone!  Thanks for your enthusiasm and support!

Just a quick post to bring you somewhat up to date.  Obviously the last two months have been a bit more insane than I could have predicted.  I'd hoped to put some updates together over the holidays but that didn't really pan out either.  Life isn't going to get any simpler either but I don't plan to leave you all in the lurch.  As such, I'm going to have to start bringing Towersoared to a conclusion.

Granted, having taken on the forces of hell successfully, I could wrap it up any time, but there are one or two more things I want to take care of. 

Here's the priority for finished Towersoared, there's no specific timeline right now though:

1: After the next update, I'll be closing the fortress to dwarfings.  All dwarf requests over the past few months will be taken care of and any that come in between now and the next update.
2: One way or another, I'll clear the rest of the demons out of the containment area and get a mining crew to work again.  I'm going to ignore the demons that I have fully contained. 
3: Last but not least, I'll get the foundations of a few proposed projects in place and add some notes where other projects would have gone given a lot more time. 
4: When I'm satisfied, I'll be releasing the fortress for all of you to explore and play if you feel inclined.  When it is released, the fortress will be stable with no outstanding dangers or issues. 

In an ideal world, I'd wrap up the fortress with the Soulchopper setting foot in hell but I doubt that's going to be feasible simply due to my time constraints these days.  I'll have to settle for laying the groundwork I think. 

I hope to have the next update posted this coming Monday, so stay tuned. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 07, 2013, 11:34:13 am »

[Cog's Journal, 13th of Granite, 326

I had a visit from a highly grumpy young dwarf today.  Apparently he fancies himself a chef even though he has absolutely no skill in the realm at all.  But at this time we have only one trained chef working in the fortress, so I suppose there would be value in a second one.  He goes by the name Ramsey. 

Spoiler: Ramsey, Chef (click to show/hide)

There was another visit today, from a young dwarf who wants to apprentice as a mechanic.  I don't see why we wouldn't want another trained mechanic. 

Spoiler: Flame, Mechanic (click to show/hide)

I've assigned a training work facility for each of them.

Events of the 15th of Granite, 326

Promethus was the one who heard the scream from one of the young dwarves.  “Kidnapper in the fortress!”  She brandished her axe and quickly ran toward the disturbance.  She rounded the corner and ran right into a frightened looking Kobold. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, her training served her well and the Kobold didn't stand a chance. 

[Cog's Journal, 17th of Granite, 326

Today I accomplished a long overdue task.  I laid out the foundation of the rest of the outer wall.  While the moat is a reasonable defense, in the long term a proper wall is really still needed.  I abandoned an old idea from many years ago as simply in-feasibly large and went with continuing the elegant wall design we've already established. 

[Cog's Journal, 22nd of Granite, 326

Well I'm absolutely certain this won't go well for the beast. 

Derm has put Promethus on the list as the next dwarf to face a forgotten beast solo. Good luck. 

[Cog's Journal, 24th of Granite, 326

Another beast has arrived in the second cave level.

As per standard operating procedure with poison breathers, the beast will be isolated in the caves until the marksdwarves can get a clear shot at it. 

[Events of the 25th of Granite, 326

Frontestro the speardwarf was a recent immigrant; one of the soldier who arrived with the King.  He was in the first cave level when the alarm was sounded.  But even as the alarm was sounding he saw the unspeakably fast beast charge through the tunnels towards the fortress.  And the first living creature the beast spotted was a child who had wandered down into the cave farms. 

With a single punch, the beast send the child flying like a missile across the cave. 

He looked at his spear.  Steel.  He was just about to head up to the weaponsmith shop to get his adamantine weapon but it was just finished today.  But his job was to protect the people of this fortress.  He brandished his spear and began to charge the beast just as Balta the engraver rounded the corner, on his way to get a drink from the local stockpile. 

With a cruel grin on its face, it grabbed Balta by the throat and began to choke him. 

Frontestro began attacking the beast attempting to distract it from choking Balta but to no avail.  The beast grinned contemptuously and continued choking Balta, his attacks skipping and bouncing off the glass monster.  Promethus arrived and simply dove into the fight, hacking away with his axe.  But even adamantine was hard pressed to break through the solid glass skin. 

But suddenly, with a crack, Frontestro stabbed the beast in the back of the head with his spear.  The beast's head simply shattered into pieces and fell to the ground.  The grip around Balta's throat slacked and the long unconscious Balta gasped a breath in. 

Frontestro looked at Promethus in some surprise.  His first official kill in Towersoared was a forgotten beast he wasn't even supposed to fight.  Promethus looked back, “I guess I'll get the next one.  Good shot!”  They looked at Balta’s limp body.  He was breathing but he had at least half a dozen broken bones.  “We’d better get him up to the doctors right away.”

OOC: The fortress is officially closed to dwarf requests.  Primarily because it wouldn’t be fair to late arrivals to select a dwarf only for the story to end.  It’ll still be a few updates though, there’s a medium sized list of things I want done.  Again, sorry for the long delay.  Fatherhood has been rewarding but much more time consuming than it is for dwarves. 

@Clover Magic: Nifty, I’ll lay the foundation in a location that feels right before wrapping the fortress up.

@Just Some Guy: No idea, but 20 kids is quite insane in my books.

@D3m0t1v4t0r: Interesting character. 

@Triaxx2: Nice one. 

@ArchAIngel:  I’m not certain but I think at this point he’d be pretty pissed if I took another weapon he’s attached to away from him.  It was quite a chore to get him to switch to adamantine.  :)

@Beenoc: Thanks for reading the entire thread!  I’ve introduced your dwarf above.  There are no unclaimed cooks in the fortress so I’ve assigned you a young dwarf who’s got an overinflated sense of ability.  I’ve assigned a kitchen to him specifically so he can start leveling at his leisure. 

@TheFlames52: Welcome aboard.  There aren’t any unclaimed legendary engineers but I’ve assigned a young dwarf as an apprentice.  Unfortunately, there is only young women dwarfs’ left in the fortress at this point, hope that’s not an issue.  Just like Beenoc, I’ve got your dwarf on a dedicated workshop to get up to speed.  As for the necromancer, I wish, oh how I wish I could put Derm up against one.  But they were introduced in the next game release which breaks save compatibility.  Even if I moved up to it, I’m not certain most of the features would come in, much like how I can’t raise bees, harvest wool and several other things. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light: Well I’m still alive and your dwarf managed to dodge getting scratched a siege.  Still not sure why your dwarf was outside in the first place, you probably wanted a sock or something.  Seriously, you outran and dodged every goblin that even came close to you. 

@Pittsy: Too true.  :)  I think the size limits of weapons and usage limits are baked in during world gen rather than able to be modified mid game.  Kind of like the issue we had with Halberds a few pages back.  It’s a shame though; it would be nice if it was clearer what could be modded after worldgen.

@Scaraban: You two hid it very well.  There have been a couple close calls with Forgotten beasts though.  That reminds me, there are a few new bridges I  need to hook up in there. 

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 07, 2013, 07:17:10 pm »

Ow... At least I'm still alive.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 08, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »

I don't really mind what gender my dwarf is. I just wanted one. Also, you think 20 children is a lot? One fortress of mine had over 85 before I lost the save file!
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 118