Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293785 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1620 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:05 pm »

Awww..... I wanted to see what i could do with such a awesome fortress. :'(

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 19, 2012, 12:52:34 am »

OOC: Sorry for getting your hopes up, not an update yet!  But hopefully early this week if all goes well. 

@ArchAIngel: The older versions of Dwarf Fortress are still available here on the bay 12 site!  Right back to the original 2D version even!  Just scroll down until you find 31.25 and you're good to go! 

Apparently the latest releases (34.X series) break save compatibility so sadly, 31.25 is the most advanced version Towersoared will ever be playable on. 

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 19, 2012, 01:28:45 am »

Awhhh, :(
No minecarts who punch demons back into the abyss they once came from.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44:17 am »

@Battlecat *jumps for joy*
Edit: how in the world do you zoom out? it is zoomed it insanely and i cannot find my way around!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:04:10 pm by ArchAIngel »

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:29 pm »

Edit: how in the world do you zoom out? it is zoomed it insanely and i cannot find my way around!

Usually the mouse scroll wheel zooms, at least on every Linux version I've run. Might be an init.txt or d_init.txt setting to control that, but I don't remember ATM...

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 21, 2012, 01:47:26 pm »

Woo hoo, strange mood! :D

Can't wait to see what Indri produces. Will it be amazing? Or an adamantium sock? Yeeeeeeeeee!!!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Blead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:04 am »

OOC: Sorry for getting your hopes up, not an update yet!  But hopefully early this week if all goes well. 
No problem lad, take your time.
NOT a friendly dwarf.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 24, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Opal 325

I’ve received word that several demons have wandered back into the combat zone.  I’ve issued orders for the marksdwarves to stations at the combat zone to pick off the demons rather than training for the moment.  It would be nice to start cleaning out the depths so we can start mining the adamantine in earnest! 

Also, I received word that Indri has claimed a shop and the first thing he grabbed was some cave spider silk cloth.  So whatever he makes is going to be quite lovely! 

Cog’s Journal, 1st of Obsidian 325

I took a few minutes to chat with our weaponsmiths about whether or not it would be possible to craft a halberd.  The reactions were muted, apparently nobody is entirely sure how to duplicate the designs.  I was informed they would have to look into it.

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Obsidian 325

The latest in a long line of monsters to come suicide at the gates of our fortress has arrived.  Once the arrival of such a beast would inspire fear, now there seems to be only scorn. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After the demons, this is pretty much a joke anyhow.  I’m not sure who’s scheduled to take this one on actually. 

Scratch that, I remember now.  Monty is up again since the last beast suicide in one of our magma pumping systems.  Also, the marksdwarves should be starting to pick off the demons soon.

Events of the 5th of Obsidian 325

Thatdude was the first to arrive at the new front line.  She quickly lined up her sights and put a bolt into a blizzard spirit.  The demon burst apart in a splatter of water and snow.  Then a flame phantom came into view.  She quickly lined up a second shot and the demon exploded in a small burst of flames.  The third demon, a pterosaur demon was a lot tougher but she continued firing. 

The demons just looked blankly through the fortifications as she fired, apparently not understanding what was going on.  This was going to be easy. 

Events of the 6th of Obsidian 325

Monty was running, trying to catch up.  The forgotten beast blasted into the fortress, up the stairs and in the corridor towards Triaxx’s little hanging tower.  It would do a massive amount of damage if it got in there.  There was a loud bang as the beast burst through the door, smashing it.  A short time later, another crash as the beast was destroying the interior doors. 

Then it was there, a shelled beast and little else.  She began fighting with her sword as she had trained.  The beast charged, she tried to dodge and it collided with her, sending her flying.  Then she stood up and stabbed the beast right through the shell.  It was decidedly a mortal wound, the beast screeched in pain and began trying to fight back.  But the fight had been taken out of it, it couldn’t take here and she quickly dispatched it.

Forgotten beasts really weren’t a threat it seemed.  She signed and wandered in to do a quick damage assessment.

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Obsidian 325

In Triaxx’s tower we have seen the following places destroyed:

Several doors
1 Magma Glass Furnace
1 Still
1 Magma Forge
1 Boyers Workshop
1 Kitchen

All easily replaceable.  This is merely an annoyance not a severe event.  I’m mildly disturbed by the speed of the recent beasts though. 

Cog’s Journal, 8th of Obsidian 325

The pterosaur demon good spatter is insidious.  Even a small wound sends small amounts everywhere.  Sazir and Adker have already been hit with the syndrome again while fighting in the depths.  I’m hopeful they’ll recover as they did last time.  Certainly they seem willing to continue fighting through it. 

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Obsidian 325

Indri presented his creation today.  It is a stunning spider silk cap.  I would say it is worth around 71,600 urists.  The decoration is also particularly impressive.  I’ve never seen spikes made out of cave spider silk!

He’s already a legendary crafter, this is just his magnum opus I think. 

OOC:  Just a warning, I may abruptly have to take a few weeks off here in the near future.  The timing is still uncertain but I’ll try to make a post when I have to go.  But rest assured I’ll be back.  In the meantime, we’ll continue with our irregularly scheduled program.  :)

@ArchAIngel: It’s all good, dorfings are pretty laid back here.  :)  Hope you managed to get things sorted out so you can poke at the fortress.  If not, I should have the latest map release out soon.  Hard to believe how long this year has taken to run.  So far no luck figuring out how to mod the raws to add halberds to the available weapons but I’m still researching.   

@Child of Armok: Yeah, sadly not.  That’s always a risk with Dwarf Fortress though.  I started  this game shortly after the 31 series save game compatability break. 

@Indricotherium: I look forward to it as well.  Looks like it will be spider silk. 

@Blead: Thanks kindly! 

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 24, 2012, 06:52:40 pm »

Etched on a series of white stone slabs in dimple cup dye

The fortress is under siege from Hell. The amusing thing is, it seems to be completely under our control. I have been hauling bolts down to the siege line, listening to the crossbow dwarves laugh, LAUGH, as they riddle these creatures from beyond mortal thought, full of fine steel bolts. A few bursts of snow and ice passed through the heavy fortifications, followed by a plume of fire illuminating the room for a brief second. It seems the only thing they fear is the ichor from them creatures. It causes some form of sickness. Easily cured with some soap and water. Amazing. Did the Dark Shaper not know of such a simple solution could cleanse It's foul work? Amusing none the less.

I have put in an order with the metalworkers for an exquisite steel axe. I would not think of taking Adamantine for my own use. It is the finest metal known to all, and it belongs in the hands of those who protect and defend the fortress. I am no warrior, I do not need to arm myself in the finest. Maybe a breast plate and greaves as well. Something to protect myself when I finally enter the depths and begin the harvest. The appearance of a fell beast, long since forgotten to the sands of time, put it on further hold. It was easily dispatched, but by one of our fine warriors. I know I would be reduced to a pile of severed limbs, dripping with venom if I had attempted to work.

I hear their chanting from beneath the stones. No one else hears anything beyond the shuffling and buzzing of their bodies in motion. I hear what they say. They speak of freedom, of conquest, of purging the land above of all life, so they may free their forsaken kindred and bring them into the light of day. Is their cage separate from those of their kin, or perhaps they are at war with one another, and they wish only to release those who share the same master? They are creatures of treachery and lies, so they must have bad blood between them. The foolish creatures. We are protected by an avatar of Armok. Derm... I look upon many engravings of him, each celebrating his victory against the depths of hell, or the worst creatures that walk upon the land above. None have so much as touched him. I will name a drink after him, something at steadies the nerves and quickens the mind, while giving the user a sheen of bloodred to their vision. It will be glorious.

Beneath is a drawing of a still

I have requested a small still be set up near the old prison, along with a food stockpile set up. It will be only for the exotic plants of the depths and the brews I make from them, nothing more. I do not want it to be cluttered with kitten fat biscuits or whatever swill they brew from the low depths. The bottom layer is where I shall begin my harvest. The plants closest to the depths of hell will have the strongest flavor, I know. Maybe a few barrels made of the nether cap and blood thorn trees there. I will get my axe and begin cutting them down, have one of the carpenters fashion them into barrels. While I do no want a weapon made of it, if I could get a still made of Adamantine, who knows what flavors that stone would impart to my creations....

Enough of my writings, the great beast has fallen, there is a body that must be hauled to the butcher. Maybe I could steal some of it's blood, add it to my brews....
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

siraidan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 26, 2012, 01:13:56 am »

as someone with a brewer dwarf I now feel inadequate. Ah well, it comes with being poor at following forums and a bad writer.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:36 am »

Werty hefted his hammer and struck, slowly forging a new copper weapon. He knew this was a training and eventually he would work on Adamantine, but it still depressed him.  He was already legendary, why couldn't he work on it. he rapidly finished up the sword, and chucked it into a bin to be melted for later. He felt, a kind of boredom... and he was sure the whole fort felt it too. With Derm and the super military, there was no trouble from any beast, the closest thing to worrying was a forgotten beast fever, and that had simply been soaped up and bam, gone! The constructions were amazing, but even they did not pose much of a challenge as they could eventually be built without a problem. This is the mountain home, so why doesn't it get any problems like the old mountain home did... It needs to get harder...

(Basically, increase the difficulty of this game, you already doubled goblin size, now lets expand on that, nothing offers a challenge anymore to this fort, even hell is no problem. How about quadrupling there size and making them flyers? or letting them breath fire and being building destroyers? Basically, this fort needs challenge.)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 26, 2012, 11:53:24 am »

Is there a tag like craftable in the weapon raws? if so, then just add that to halberds, and it should work. I will poke around and see if i can find anything.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 26, 2012, 12:33:32 pm »

Is there a tag like craftable in the weapon raws? if so, then just add that to halberds, and it should work. I will poke around and see if i can find anything.
What weapons are craftable by a civ is defined in their entity raws and can't be changed after worldgen.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:36:30 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 26, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »

Oh. Drat. Oh well, spears will have to do if halberds cannot be made.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 26, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »

I did try letting my dwarfs make halberds once, they did not like them, I think they were just a little to big for them.
The did just fine with longswords though.

Of course this was the same fort where my axedwarfs were cursed to die as soon as the whole squad hit legendary.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:35:53 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 118