Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293187 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1440 on: January 24, 2012, 08:43:26 pm »

Towersoared: A recidivist's paradise.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 25, 2012, 03:39:15 am »

Awesome, something which I honestly haven't thought of before, will having secondary controlling levers for the mechanisms of the fortress prevent the publicly accessible ones from working correctly? Or has it really been that long since I made something awesomely mechanical in DF?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 25, 2012, 08:52:58 am »

Triaxx wishes it known that if Scaraban has control of his door, Scaraban will wake to find himself having a bath. A MAGMA bath.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 25, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »

Awesome, something which I honestly haven't thought of before, will having secondary controlling levers for the mechanisms of the fortress prevent the publicly accessible ones from working correctly? Or has it really been that long since I made something awesomely mechanical in DF?

It's been that long. The mechanisms will accept input from either trigger.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 25, 2012, 07:46:39 pm »

However they are still toggle state, so if the A trigger has been flipped to position 2 from position 1, the B trigger will have to be pulled twice presuming it starts in the same position as A trigger. Thus if A is left and is flipped to right, then B must be flipped to right to have an effect on the controlled object.

I rather hope that BC has remembered to LABEL his levers. Otherwise there might be Fun issues.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 25, 2012, 09:17:10 pm »

Nothing wrong with FUN (F is for friends after all. What could go wrong with FRIENDS)
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 25, 2012, 09:47:20 pm »

It's been that long. The mechanisms will accept input from either trigger.
This saddens me greatly, time to download the update and get to work I guess.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 26, 2012, 05:33:21 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Malachite 324

Syntic came by my office today with an excellent suggestion regarding the prison.  In all honesty, the current prison was built in haste after the terrible sabotage incident.  I haven’t worried about that in years, there haven’t been any serious problems for quite some time.  The old prison is small, crowded and even a bit dangerous since it’s outside the secure perimeter of the base. 

The new prison rooms will be 5x5 in size, each with a bed, food stockpile and drink stockpile.  The edge of the room will be decorated with engravings and statues.  I think we’ll place it on the main level of the fortress off the dining hall to save time replenishing the prison supplies.  Maybe I’ll move the goblin storage down into the old prison. 

As for the duke, I’ll just neglect to inform him the new prison will be so nice.  He never visits the jail anyhow, he just issues the sentences.  As an added bonus, Syntic will get another office right in the jail area. 

Ooh, and masterwork gold chains, now we’re talking!  Time to make some work orders!

Spoiler: New Prison Layout (click to show/hide)

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Malachite 324

The greatest danger to our fortress has arrived again.  A horrible beast made of mud that spews deadly dust.  As always, a job for our archers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve ordered the evacuation of the first cave level, I hope everyone hurries to get inside.

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Malachite 324

The beast bolted straight into Comp’s hideaway.  Fortunately Comp was safe up in the main fortress when the alarm was sounded.  I’ve directed the miners to carve a route to try and shoot at the beast.  We can’t seal it in sadly but we can use the isolation bridges to try and control where it can go.  The lack of an option to control Comp’s bridge from a second location was an unfortunate oversight.  Our only other option is to lure the beast towards the entrance, but that puts our prisoners in serious danger. 

We need another room for system controls.  Some of the old, obsolete switches could be reused as well.  I suppose at some point the cave security project needs to be finished up as well.  Along with a million other projects that should be done. 

Events of the 26th of Malachite 324

Thatdude claimed the honor of killing this beast through the new fortifications.  There was limited space, so only one dwarf would get the chance.  The fortification was suddenly complete, Balta began to run for his life at the mere sight of the muddy thing.  As usual, the beast was totally unaware of his presence.  She unleashed four quick shots, all four found a mark, shredding the creatures insubstantial body.  The beast shuddered and collapsed to the ground, dead

That was easy, but it always was when fighting unarmored beasts.  She made her way back upstairs to report the good news.

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Galena 324

Construction is proceeding nicely out front; I’m very excited to have the front gate getting close to completion now.  On a separate note, the human diplomat arrived today.  Even better, it’s actually human.  With all the weirdness lately, I’m always concerned about getting bizarre visitors . . .

And now I’ve just received word that Comp has gone into a fey mood.  Apparently he feels the need to create something.

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Galena 324

And then today the human caravan arrived.  Time to engage in some commerce!   

Events of the 18th of Galena 324

Tosid Litastkivish, hauler and mason was working on the outer defensive tower.  Suddenly, she heard the sand crunch nearby.  Her head snapped up, and she saw a mob of Kobolds trying to sneak up on her and her fellow workers.  She dropped the stone she was carrying and began to run.  She screamed loudly for help, despite the small amount of  military training, it was better to flee from this many kobolds to give the military time to arrive.

Then she found herself ducking and weaving to try and escape.  She was fast, faster than the Kobolds expected she was sure.  But not quite fast enough.  A kick hit her in the hand as she dodged.  And then a punch caught her in the ear sending a small spray of blood.  She saw Derm’s squad emerging from the gate, lead by Bennet the fastest Dwarf alive.  She started to run back in their direction when suddenly, she heard off key horns sounding in the distance.

She almost stopped and stared in disbelief as a goblin siege emerged into view.  The oversized mutated goblins had arrived yet again.  And to keep away from the Kobold she had to run towards them!  But then there was a spray of blood and the kobold was dead.   She turned in surprise.  Bennet was standing over the Kobold, looked at her and said “Run, get inside quick!”  She didn’t wait and quickly started running towards the fortress.  A glance over her shoulder, she saw a bloody battle already engaged by the elite soldiers of Towersoared. 

And so the siege proceeded to be dismantled. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Galena 324

That was a close call, but our military was able to get the job done before anyone got hurt.  Garet, Master of Weapons took a nasty cut to the arm and leg, but it’s not life threatening.  All in all, a good siege.  We’re going to have to watch the outer gates carefully while we finish this project up though. 

OOC: That was a close one.  I didn’t even have to send everyone inside though.  Thanks to the ambush, the military was outside in place before the goblins attacked! 

@Siraidan9: Nifty, your dwarf has got a lot of learning to do!

@Syntic: Good point, I’ll get that fixed up right away. 

@Argonnek: Heh, yeah. 

@Scaraban: It doesn’t seem to have caused any problems yet. 

@Triaxx2: I’m an obsessive note maker.  Every lever has been labeled and I’m 95% sure I got all of them correct! 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:51:52 pm by Battlecat »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 27, 2012, 06:30:06 am »

Good for you. I keep forgetting to properly label levers. Or I forget what I linked the lever to in the first place.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 27, 2012, 09:22:57 pm »

Ah learning... learning, whatever. I'll be catapulting empty beer barrels into Goblin ranks one day. And Brewing legendary beer with the same barrel. Coated in goblin blood. Yum.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:06 pm »

Good for you. I keep forgetting to properly label levers. Or I forget what I linked the lever to in the first place.

I think I have several levers connected to nothing in my fort. Wow.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:30 am »

Happens to me on occasion. Usually I end up deconstructing them for the mechanisms.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 31, 2012, 11:39:19 pm »

Argonnek awoke among barrels. He cursed the hateful gods, stumbled constantly, and spilled many barrels of food in his search for a drink. He made his way to the dining room, dripping roast under one arm. Lurching past others, he plopped down and noisily scarfed down his roast in handfuls.

His morning routine complete, he made his way once again toward the booze stockpile. On the way, someone accosted him.
"Argonnek! Stop! You're drinking too much!"

"I en't drunk! I'm shtill conshus!"

Immediately after saying this, the world spins and the floor leaps three feet to the left. Now he was drunk.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Limestone 324

Comp presented the fortress with a gorgeous orthoclase earring today.  It is covered in spikes and encrusted decorations.  Sadly no images, but that doesn’t detract from the beauty of this artifact!

This month, I’m targeting getting a few more fortress details done.  In particular, we’ve got several hundred statues that need installation.  It won’t interfere with the outer wall and defense construction but it really needs to get done. The access tunnel to the tower is also complete so it can be accessed in complete security. 

Events of the 7th of Limestone 324

Zanfar was frustrated.  Zanfar’s master would not be pleased by his repeated failures to even slow the growth of the fortress.  The place was huge but the critical facilities were well watched now, especially the control rooms.  Still, Zanfar would be able to get in at a critical moment. The resilience of the fortress’s defenders was not to be believed, but the goblins and Kobolds would have new tricks up their sleeves in the near future.  Plus, if this plan worked out, the fortress might be weakened at a critical moment. 

The trade had been executed.  The amulets Cog had so carefully kept in the fortress because of the neurotic Duke were traded away to the merchants in exchange for a huge pile of bronze items and weapons.  Nobody would notice them since metal weapons and armors were being totally phased out of the fortress.  Zanfar wrote up the work orders and walked off to slip them into the file.  Zanfar chuckled to himself.  One way or another, this place would burn and his master would be free. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Limestone 324

A significant milestone has been achieved on the outer walls.  The perimeter wall of the siege tower has been completed.  Now we just have to complete the foundation level and another phase of work will be completed. 

OOC: I’m still trying to find ways to make life more difficult for my dwarves.  Zanfar hasn’t been very effective over the years though. 

@Triaxx2: Yeah, it’s absolutely necessary with the sheer number of levers in the fortress.

@Siraidan9: Even better, there is going to be an official siege tower at the fortress entrance.  I look forward to seeing you lob stones and ballista bolts at the enemy.

@kisame12794: That’s frustrating.  The big challenge will be figuring out which ones those are!

@Argonnek: Nice one!  Every once in a while you actually get some work done as well.  No booze shortage anymore as far as I can tell. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:49:21 pm by Battlecat »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 01, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »

This month, I’m targeting getting a few more fortress details done.  In particular, we’ve got several hundred statues that need installation.  It won’t interfere with the outer wall and defense construction but it really needs to get done. The tunnel to the

The tunnel to the...?
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 118