Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293794 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #405 on: September 28, 2010, 03:24:09 pm »

Events of the 22nd of Granite, 313

Comp was quietly digging away at his new home when he heard the sounds of screams in the deep.  He was worried that it was another forgotten beast that heralded it’s arrival with loud calls.  Then he heard a familiar maniacal laugh over the screaming and realized it was just some more troglodytes. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then he heard a loud splash in the lake nearby. 

A giant toad!  Not too dangerous, but Derm would be annoyed if Comp didn’t report it.  He walked over towards the screaming and shouted “Hey Derm, there’s a Giant Toad over here!”

He heard a shout back.  “Sorry, no can do right now.  Stupid troglodyte bumped into me.  I landed on my thumb funny and I think it might be broken. 

“I’ll be back to take care of it once this is patched up.  Just don’t disturb it” said Derm. 

Comp sighed to himself.  It was just a touch unnerving to have the top fighter in the fortress out of commission, even for such a minor injury. 

Cog’s Journal, 23rd of Granite, 313

Well the news of the past few days is not dire but it is unexpected.  Apparently Derm managed to actually get injured in battle.  I’m not sure whether I’m concerned or relieved.  In his defense, he was getting swarmed by about 12 troglodytes when one knocked him over, breaking his thumb.  They’re nasty little creatures, even worse than goblins in some ways. 

According to Michael, the injury won’t even need immobilization.  Still, I don’t think he was expecting Derm the Soulchopper to be his first patient admitted to Towersoared Hospital. 

He should be back on his feet in a few days.  I suspect he’ll go finish off the Troglodytes down there the moment he’s better.  He's pretty pissed that he injured himself in such a simple fight.  He muttered something about a Giant Toad as well. 

I suspect it's going to be a bloody day in the depths when Derm gets out of the hospital. 

Cog’s Journal, 25th of Granite, 313

Well today Muthkat Nomalonam finally created his project.  It is a grate.  Made of mica.  While very cool, it’s not entirely practical.  Still it is well decorated. 

He’s certainly up for a change in profession thanks to this but I’m going to still need him on deck as a hauler as well. 

Cog’s Journal, 2nd of Slate, 313

Today I had to order the start of a job that I greatly fear.  We need to open our new main entrance.  Not only does this mean that we have to temporarily open our defenses but it also means having our miners work at carving away the rather rickety shell above the entrance.  One false move and there could easily be collapse. 

I’ve told them to be extremely careful.  A military squad will be nearby to watch for ambushes.  While they’re at it, they’ll also be carving out the groundwork for the West Towers that will flank the entrance.  Part of the work is already done, now we need to clear things off so construction can begin. 

OOC: Well we knew this would have to happen eventually.  Just to tally things up, Derm the Soulchopper obtained 96 notable kills and 30 other kills before getting scratched worse than what you would get from walking through a patch of brambles.  No worries, he’ll be just fine. 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 28, 2010, 05:31:25 pm »

I lol'd. Derm is now confirmed to be a dwarfen god, rather than a human god.

Also I think it is time Martini branched out into gem setting.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 28, 2010, 05:57:30 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I'll not deny that a broken finger is very painful, but I'm just amazed that the very first wound that our greatest warrior has needed tending was only a broken finger. From what I hear, it's not even the whole finger, but just the tip of his thumb. I really don't know what to say other than that I'm shocked.

ooc: By the way over in the The Hall of Legends, Towersoared only has three votes, but needs 3 more votes as well as a good synopsis of this fortress.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:01:37 pm by Syntic »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 28, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I'll not deny that a broken finger is very painful, but I'm just amazed that the very first wound that our greatest warrior has needed tending was only a broken finger. From what I hear, it's not even the whole finger, but just the tip of his thumb. I really don't know what to say other than that I'm shocked.

ooc: By the way over in the The Hall of Legends, Towersoared only has three votes, but needs 3 more votes as well as a good synopsis of this fortress.
Towersoared! Erecting a Dwarf Fortress, one spontaneously melting stone at a time.
edit: because we aren't making DF
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 28, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »

Maybe the blurb could be a collection of (short) quotes?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:55 pm »

My dwarven battle god, slayer of a hundred enemies, killer of three giants, a couple forgotten beasts, and a giant cave spider, along with two whole goblin squads at the same time, all solo, got his first injury to a TROGLODYTE!?
RAGE
also,
LOL
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:33:30 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:27 am »

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Slate, 313

Derm the Soulchopper is back on his feet today.  His thumb is in a split and still needs to heal but since when has that ever stopped a dwarf in this fortress?  He muttered something about retribution, grabbed Akmeshitat and headed for the caves. 

He also muttered something about a Toad

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Slate, 313

Congratulations to Urist Imiknorris on the birth of your fourth child.  Pawn and Urist Imkiknorris are now proud parents of 4 daughters. 

Also, I gave the orders today to start carving the master stonecarver’s hall.  This will house a small set of workshops assigned to the top stonecrafters, masons and mechanics in our fortress. 

Cog’s Journal, 23rd of Slate, 313

Amazingly in less than a month and without incident our main entrance hall has been exposed to the world.  Our new trade depot will be built soon in the depths and then we can decommission the old one for good. 

The paving project at the entrance hall is coming along beautifully as well as you can see in the image I attached above.  Copper, gold, cobaltite and black bronze mix quite nicely. 

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Felsite, 313

Today Comp went back down to the depths to secure his new and the surrounding work site.  It’s a large job but it should serve him well.  His current project will to build an isolated moat around the area where he will be setting up the first farms.  Granted, it won’t be entirely safe from flying creatures but few places in the caves truly are. 

He’ll be cutting off access to several sections of the caves with this project, so I’ve asked him to carve bypass routes that we’ll secure with bridges. 

Events of the 5th of Felsite 313

Comp had just entered the caverns on his way to start digging once again.  Suddenly, there was a rustling sound behind him.  He turned, and there was a troglodyte right in front of him.  The creature looked slightly maddened as it began to swing at him with its clawed hands.  He tried to run, but it was too close.  Once, twice Comp dodged.  He looked around for his dogs, but they were still lagging behind him. 

So he did the only thing he could do.  He gripped his pick and took a swing . . .

OOC: Derm’s back in business.  And I’ve decided to have Comp spend a bit of time digging the infrastructure for cave pacification.  It’ll be to his benefit anyhow.  Also, thanks for your support over in the Hall of Legends everyone!  I'm really glad you've been enjoying this fortress so much.

@breadbocks: I can certainly arrange that but other than the throne project it’s going to be a long time before I can spare gems for encrusting on a regular basis.  Of course I guess I could get my glassworkers going on producing massive quantities of raw green glass for you to work with.  I could have Martini assigned his own shop and just start plugging away at decorating everything and anything with glass if you like.

@Syntic: I have to agree with your sentiments there, hard to believe this is his first injury!  I’ll have to think on an appropriate synopsis. 

@Scaraban: Yeah, the phrasing there does work better with the “a”. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Could also work along with a brief one or two line summary.  Very hard to say.

@dermonster: Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either.  Granted, if something was going to get lucky, be glad it was a troglodyte.  Derm wound up kill 6 of the troglodytes after he broke his thumb.  You got appropriate rage retribution today though. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:55:28 am by Battlecat »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »

OOT: Wow, that is quite awesome. So, your having me dig extra lanes for protection? Works for me!  ;D

Comp's Log

Was heading down to the caverns today to start carving out my new home, when all of asudden a dang Trog jumped at me! I managed to dodge it a couple of times before I swinged randomly at it with my pick. Somehow, it connected and made its body fly away. I feel rather dwarvish after that. Good thing I managed to hit it though, my dogs where playing way back and were lagging behind me.

Anyway, ideas for traps, but maybe I can have a sort of "lock" that has a pressure plate or two that activates when an enemy steps on it, causing a rush of water from above to force it down into dug out channels on the side? Must remember to ask Cog if this would work.[/i]

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 29, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »

Hey battlecat, can you put a detailed version of the liason, their entrance, and reaction to our great fortress. I want to see what you predict their reaction would be to the entrance hall, the dining room, the industrial sector, Derm, etc.

Man Derm...
Meowth! That's right!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 29, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »

Derm makes mandate: Giant leisure room with Akmeshitat tiled floor.

Big room with my axe tiled on the floor in either small bridges or just floors. Bridges will look better, btw.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 30, 2010, 03:40:30 am »

This is a completely out of character request...

I recently heard about a bug that practically makes a dwarf invisible that may have found it's way to Derm, as a test I don't suppose you could back up the save and have him wade through some magma for a bit and see how long it takes him to actually take damage compared to an untrained dwarf like Syntic.

Obviously this would just be as a test and the game should be restored to it's previous point prior to conducting the test.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 30, 2010, 02:31:13 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Felsite, 313

Apparently Comp had a bit of a scare down in the caves.  He’s fine and seems to still be comfortable with his plan.  In any rate, I’ve sent Derm down to conduct a patrol in case any other troglodytes are hiding in the caves. 

Anyhow, that’s not the purpose of today’s journal entry.  Today I officially commissioned the new trading depot. 

I had it built out of Cobaltite blocks to get a nice blue color.  I’ll be ordering the removal of the old depot today.  The new depot has an advantage that it’s actually accessible to wagons via the spiral ramp. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Felsite, 313

The Elves arrived today.  With the new depot gone, they’re officially the first traders to brave our new entrance.  I’ve sent the hammerdwarves out as a courtesy since they Elves have played straight with us the past few years.  They also don’t seem to have sent a diplomat to complain about tree cutting which puts me a generous mood. I was going to send out Derm just on the off chance a goblin ambush showed up, but he was absent.  His squad said he was down in the caves again. 

I’m sure he’s harassing the troglodytes again.  Those critters seem to be coming in droves lately.

While I was up checking off boxes to send down to the new depot, I stopped by the jewelcrafter’s workshop.  They’ve been rather busy.

Not quite as good as I was expecting.  I was curious why and check the job assignments.  Turns out one of our gem cutters had done most of the work, he had been miss-assigned as a gem setter.  I don’t have the supplies to spare to restart the project right now so we’ll keep working on this one.  It looks pretty good for a throne that started out assessed at 4000. 

But there’s no sight of them stopping yet.  Still lots more gems, metals and bone to add. 

Cog’s Journal, 2nd of Hematite, 313

So the Elves didn’t make it into the depths.  They proceeded straight through our old entrance and right to the old depot location.  Apparently my order to remove the depot wasn’t followed fast enough and once the Elves finished unpacking they refused to move until it was time to go.  Not great trading this year but they did bring some animals that will be very useful in the near future. 

I hope we can get this old depot gone before the humans show up. 

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Hematite, 313

Today a Kobold Thief popped up near our old entrane and stabbed Zon Zuntiruzlir in the chest.  He'll survive, it wasn't serious.  I ordinarily don’t worry much about thieves, but this act calls for retribution.  And Derm can easily outrun Koblods now . . .

It didn’t even manage to run as far as the dining hall from our old entrance. 

Events of the 20th of Hematite, 313

It happened while excavating the North Industrial Hall.  Alath, daughter of Amsel was digging away, Obok and Kib were both nearby as well.  Suddenly she heard Obok gasp in surprise and then let out a shout of fear.  She looked up just in time to see the ground under Obok crumble away.  Obok hung in midair for a moment, defying gravity.  Then he started to shimmer like a mirage and then he was gone. 

Alath let out a shriek of horror and ran over to examine the site.  Wait, there was still something there.  She looked closely and there was a faint outline of a dwarf hanging in midair where Obok disappeared.  She grabbed a rock and threw it.  It flew right through Obok.  She felt a shiver down her spine.  This wasn’t natural, and it could have happened to any of them.  He was gone.

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Hematite, 313

This is more than just a little terrifying.  Obok, one of our miners vanished into thin air today.  I went to survey the site today and an unmoving shadow is still visible.  There is a chill in the air of the Northern corridor.  In honor of Obok, I intend to leave a stairway up to his shade on the off chance that this is a temporary effect.  It would be pretty terrible for him to return to this world and plummet 6 stories to his death. 

OOC: Yup, I’ve hit the dreaded dwarven ghost problem.  I know how to fix it but until Runesmith works with 31.14, Obok gets to hang out for a while.  You know, it looks like this might be a repeatable process.  All you seem to have to do to get a hanging dwarf is save your game right at the moment the dwarf finishes carving a channel out from under himself. 

@Comp112: Yeah, you’ve officially become a miner already.  It seemed appropriate; with the increasing troglodyte traffic it would have been pretty hazardous to leave you down there defenseless.  Besides, this way you’re helping the fortress as well. 

@Tuxman: I can certainly handle that for both the human and dwarven trade caravans this year.  The Elves decided to ignore my new facility since the old one wasn’t gone yet.  I’m particularly looking forward to writing up the dwarven liaison. 

@dermonster: I can probably handle that.  How large are you thinking?  Also, how about an 18 story depiction of it in the form of gemstone windows in the dining hall?  It’s in the works already in fact. 

@Syntic: Interesting, I haven’t heard of that particular bug.  I’ll poke into it sometime in the next couple of days.  I suspect it’s mostly just been pure luck for Derm since he has been actually injured.  His thumb is still showing as a red injury as it hasn’t healed up yet. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:57:00 am by Battlecat »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 30, 2010, 03:52:26 pm »

When I read this, my jaw dropped. Earlier this week, our class was assign a piece of writing, and I was lost for a subject, until I thought of this. What I've written so far on it (All done yesterday):

"Urist Mchammerdorf sighed."Tha damn Elves be here 'gain, sir," he reported.

"It be a Siege?" Derm demanded.

"Nae. Shall I ready me squad?" McHammerdorf inquired.

Derm shook his head. "Not unless tha' Pansies only brought cloth. We need a breeding stock, and wood naer hurt. But you should go look for Gobbo ambushes. They always show up now. I won't be able to join you this time. Doc needs to set me thumb, then I've got a few troglodytes that need smashing.

It doesn't seem like much until you realize I did this yesterday, and the only part that isn't canon was that Derm already had his thumb set. It isn't done yet, so I'll post the full thing when I finish it tonight.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 30, 2010, 03:56:05 pm »

All you need is a dwarf stuck in midair and your fort will never die.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2010, 04:37:02 pm »

I'm the subject of a school essay.

My life is now complete.

Yes, a Giant Gem Glass Window sounds fantastic. We'll have to see about a 50 z level statue at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 118