Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293734 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #345 on: September 21, 2010, 11:27:54 pm »

OOC: Since we have 3 military named dwarves, I’ll be switching perspectives as the fight goes on.  I’m going to try to keep it clear, but I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on how it reads.  This is a long one, it was a busy battle!

Events of the, 19th of Obsidian, 311

Derm waited patiently by the gates with his fellow 19 military dwarves.  It was a far cry from the first days of Towersoared when it was just him and his fellow axedwarves defending the fortress.  “There are a lot of archers in this siege, be careful everyone!”  He shouted as the first trolls approached the gates. 

There was a clanking sound as the first couple trolls were caught up in cage traps.  Then the first trolls came around the corner and the fun began.  The archers unleashed a hail of bolts as the rest of the military charged.  Suprisingly though, Catten, the new Sworddwarf squad leader was faster off the mark than the Axedwarves . . .

Catten’s Perspective:

Catten charged in with great enthusiasm.  Finally, her first chance to show her strength in battle.  She found herself face to face with a troll and began hacking at it with her sword.  The beast screamed in pain as her first swing broke its leg, and then several more swings left the troll looking pained and short of breath.  Then in the midst of battle, the troll knocked her over and was about to swing at her when the bulk of the military engaged the trolls, taking the one she was fighting with them. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One of the Axedwarves helped her up.  “Good start Catten.  Plenty more where they came from, let’s get to it.”  Catten sighed, she didn’t get that kill, but there were more enemies coming.  She raised her axe and moved out the gates following the rest of the military.

Derm’s Perspective:

Derm was frustrated.  There were so many military dwarves in this battle, he hadn’t managed to even engage an enemy yet.  It was time to clear the field a touch.  He shouted his orders, “Hammerdwarves pull back for now.  It’s getting dangerously crowded at the front and we need you to cover the entrance in case we get drawn away.  Swords and Marksmen with us, be careful as the goblins arrive.”  He slipped forward and looked around the corner.  Hmmm, that was odd.  “Catten, there’s one lone goblin coming up.  This is a good chance for you to prove that sword of yours.” 

Catten’s Perspective:

Catten slipped forward as the lone goblin approached.  Just as she reached the corner, the long goblin also arrived.  It squeaked in surprise and fired a bolt at her.  She quickly jumped away from one and then a second bolt as the goblin found its composure.  Before it could reload a third time, she charged in a sliced the goblins foot off with her sword, sending the part flying.  She re-oriented and stabbed straight into its kidney.  The sword didn’t penetrate but the goblin gasped in pain.  A couple more blows and then she slashed the goblin in the throat, sending blood spraying as it began choking and drowning on its blood.

Before it could die, she quickly took a page from the Soulchopper’s book, cutting both it’s legs off before chopping it in half straight through the heart. 

Now her sword had truly tasted blood.  She pulled back to the rest of the military to await the arrival of the bulk of the enemy force. 

Adker’s Perspective:

While Catten was obtaining her first blood, Adker was heading back to the front from the fortress with a new set of bolts.  He’d quickly consumed all his gear on the first wave of trolls.  As he walked out the front gate, he heard a sound on the hill behind him.  He swung around to see a troll trapper on the ridge just above the entrance.  He whipped out his crossbow and began firing at the troll as did his squad commander when he came out. 

It quickly ran up the hill out of sight, but it certainly wasn’t a serious threat anymore.  Then he gathered up his remaining bolts and headed back to the front. 

Catten’s Perspective:

Catten was a bit worried.  Derm had quite suddenly said “Hold on, I need to grab something.  Keep an eye on things for now.”  Then him and his entire squad ran off back towards the fortress.  Then several more crossbow goblins rounded the corner.  She quickly shouted “CHARGE” to her squad and ran in, sword glinting in the sun. 

This time her entire squad came in after her.  She went in, sword swinging hard, bringing her strength from all her years mining to bear.  All went quite well with no major injuries.  She got a particularly incredible shot straight through the skull of a goblin, shattering the skull and tearing apart it’s brain.  “That one’s mine!” she declared. 

Then she looked back and saw Derm returning with his squad.  “I wouldn’t want to miss the main event” he said as he brandished his axe.  “There are more than 20 archers in the next group, my squad will go first to draw their fire.”  Catten nodded and readied her sword. 

Derm’s Perspective:

Derm quietly chuckled to himself.  At least nobody was going to ask him about the mild moment of confusion he had when he thought he’d left his rations back in the fort.  It turned out then were in a different part of his backpack than normal.  Now he would get some well deserved notches on his axe.  The first goblin rounded the corner and with a roar, Derm charged.  The rest of the military was close behind. 

Before any goblin could react, he had removed the arm of the first goblin and then knocked him down.  A second cut chopped the goblin in half.  Then the bolts and arrows began to fly around him.  He quickly knocked two bolts out of the air and charged the next goblin.  Again this goblin fell quickly, chopped apart by his swinging blade.  He then went on to switch between stopping arrows and killing goblins.

Then the entire axedwarf squad moved forward as one, the arrows flying around them but never touching them.  As they moved through the buzzing swarm of arrows, it was as if they had a shield around themselves.

Then they were into the bulk of the goblins, just as the rest of the military rounded the corner.  Derm was too busy to notice what they were up to though.  Then it was simply Derm’s axe moving like a knife through butter.  Five more goblins quickly fell to the Soulchopper.

The blood flew and Derm fought for glory!

Adker’s Perspective:

Adker let bolts fly as quickly as he could considering he was barely proficient with a crossbow to date.  He might not be getting credit for the kills but he was certainly wounding the goblins sufficiently.  His bolts were certainly chipping bone and one bolt for sure went straight into the chest of another. 

Given time, he would match the feats of his squadmates.  But then to his surprise, one bolt flew true and the goblin dropped to the ground.  He got one!

Catten’s Perspective:

Catten followed behind the axedwarves as quickly as she could.  She had some success protecting herself from the wall of bolts that the axedwarves were dodging through.  Copying some of Derms moves, she quickly batted three bolts out of the air before finding herself in front of goblin Spearmaster.  She quickly removed it’s arm and moved on to a crossbow goblin.  Catten’s sword flew like lighting, taking down goblin after goblin. 

Derm’s Perspective:

All that remained were some Trolls, milling around in confusion as usual now that their goblin overlords were dead.  Derm was hungry, so he dispatched his axedwarves to finish the job off.  He looked back over the slaughter and smiled.    Another fine battle with no injuries to report.  And under such amazing circumstances with so many archers to fight.  But still, he didn’t get as many kills as he would have liked.  Perhaps it was time to take some time out in the caves.   

The Final Tally of The Siege of 311:

Spoiler: Derm the Soulchopper (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Catten the Miner (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Adker the Marksdwarf (click to show/hide)

OOC: Yup, very long as I said.  Seriously, Derm charged back to the fort for no apparent reason.  Fortunately, he made it back in time for the main event.  I couldn’t believe my eyes as the axedwarves moved through a wall of arrows without a single scratch. Sorry there isn’t as much for Adker, he was pretty slow getting his shots off compared with everyone else.  Time and practice will help him with that though. 

@bayar: A new hospital is carved and being prepared.  I’ll mark it on the map when I post the end of year update, it’s right close to the dining hall.  I’ll assign Michael a room on the first residential floor right near the stairwell.  That’s nice and close to the hospital. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Derm was responsible for all three kills, but one of them he killed with an Iron Axe before I started producing steel. 

@breadbocks: Yeah, but that’s ok.  I’ll get him an adamantium axe someday and he’ll chop goblins with it as well!

@Tuxman: Nice choice!  By the way I kept Catten’s job title custom as Miner.  It’ll make her battle entries easier to spot like Derm’s.  Let me know if you would like it changed.  Nice touch with the poetry. 

@Derm; Well said!  Some chopping did occur, but you’ve got some fierce competition from the rest of your squad lately.  Your dwarf has taught them well.  I’ll scare up some fun for Derm in the lower caves soon.

@Syntic: Heh, that certainly sounds plausible.  Granted, the dwarves will probably be going out to attack goblins in a future release of the game.  That will be lots of fun!

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:34 am »

I really have no trouble with Adker being somewhat behind the others. If I had, that'd just be silly. I might have been mildly disappointed that Derm's battlecry was not canon, but honestly, properly irking me is not easy.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2010, 10:40:04 am »

Very good fight from everyone except the goblins. I love how the troll knocks Catten to the ground only to immediately drown in a sea of violence.

Can we see Derm's title and his and Tempestchills' kill lists? If his title was already posted, it was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:44:16 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

Events of the 28th of Obsidian, 311

Cog stands up on the first tier of the ramp stairway at the east end of the dining hall to speak. 

“My fellow dwarves, 10 years ago tomorrow myself and 7 other arrived here in Towersoared.  We came to create a home we could all be proud of, where we could create something truly dwarven.  With the hard work of each and every dwarf who has arrived here, our labors are finally bearing fruit.  This dining hall is the first centerpiece of our home, but there is still much to do, I promise you that!”

He clears his throat and takes a long drink from his glass.

“Only four floors remain before the entrance ramp is completed.  Once that is done, the miners will begin carving out the new core fortress which I expect will be every bit as grand as the rest of our home.  But that’s for a bit further down the road.  This year, we will begin work on the stained glass window project on the north side of the hall since the south side rooms are still being finished.” 

“There are many other projects we will be working on this year some of mine, others that many of you have suggested.  Thank you all for your excellent work and ideas.  This place would not be what it is today without your hard work!  As is tradition now I’ve brought the latest revisions of the architectural drawings of Towersoared and this year’s ledger.  Our wealth has continued to increase steadily over the years, in no small part thanks to all the amazing inspiration that has been found by our residents.  I look forward to seeing what you all create this year.   That’s all from me; I’ll stop boring you now so we can get on with the party!”

And Cog steps down the ramp and joins the party. 

OOC: And that’s 10 years of game time in Towersoared.  It takes a long time to build things with normal speed dwarves, but that just leaves more room for interesting things to happen. 

@ushilzagith: Derm’s battlecry certainly is canon as far as I’m concerned.  I just didn’t think to replicate it in my write up which was probably more than mildly foolish of me.  Pretty much everything said in character by anyone in this thread is canon unless it severely messes things up.  :)  I’m really glad Adker got his first official kill in the last fight.

@Urist Imiknorris: Yeah, I chuckled at that one.  I can certainly arrange showing Derm’s full name and title:

Dwarven: Derm Ushatimik Adilngegedol Kosh
Common: Derm Basementchucked the Walled Depression of Slaughter

Soulchopper is of course his job title.  Here are Derm’s Kills

Derm’s weapon is known as Akmeshitat or Tempestchills.  Interestingly enough, it was briefly wielded by a different dwarf.  I had problems with the dwarves not switching to steel from iron so I explicitly assigned the best quality steel axe to Derm shortly after they were all crafted.  By the way, Derrm did kill all three giants with this Steel Battleaxe.  The first one, Tata doesn’t have an excessively long title so I missed her going through the list. 

That’s all, enjoy!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2010, 01:55:42 pm »

Beautiful. I forgot about the giant cave spider.

e- If I'm reading this right, Tata was Derm's first kill with that axe. Truly a bond forged in blood.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »

Water pump stack to short more later

Ooc on phone can not type why easily regard as cryptic note left while cog was sleeping

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2010, 06:01:25 pm »

Catten's title is Boneminer from now on. I think its appropraite.
Meowth! That's right!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 22, 2010, 06:27:53 pm »

Everything I do is so awesome.

And I keep finding semi-poetic meaning in all of what I do.

XD
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:36 pm »

Syntic was going over his notes checking his work when it occurred to him that the he had neglected to take in account of the pressure that the pump was adding to the water system. Had the water already been on the level that the pumps pulled it to, then things would have been different. But no, with a pump the water would after falling down the hole and filling up all available space start to gain pressure as the pump continued to try to fill the area with water. Only when either the water filled up all available space period, or leveled out at the same level as the pump would the pressure be balanced allowing no more water to be added.

Of course now there was the problem with the fact that he had already slid the note under Cog's door saying that the pump stack needed to be raised one level higher. He didn't like it much but he would have to go retrieve the note before Cog saw it and simply destroy it. Grabbing his tool kit he started to make his way back to Cog's door. He figured if the door was locked that he could pick it with a bit of time. Of course he wasn't sure what he would do if anyone caught him trying to break into Cog's office.

Halfway there an idea came to mind and he ran as quietly back to his own room and picked up a couple of more parts, so he could "improve" Cog's lock, as well as some bells that he removed the clasps from so they wouldn't make any noise until he put them back in. Having everything he now needed, he made a quick note in his journal and then walked back toward's Cog's office no longer trying to sneak down the halls.

Syntic's Journal:

Inspiration struct tonight, and I just can't sleep until I get this done. After tonight, any spies the Royal's have been sent to check on the projects going on here will have a hard time getting into Cog's office. I figure just as I'm finishing installing this that Cog will be showing up for the morning's work and will be suitably impressed with his new alarm system.

ooc: I was checking some ideas earlier while bored and got confused about how Water Pressure worked in DF, when the wiki page talking about it had garbled diagrams on my computer. But as the mistake has already been made, this is Syntic's attempt at fixing it while saving face. Of course I say ATTEMPT.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2010, 01:51:55 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Granite, 312

Today the siege workshop was built.  I’ve put in the first order for parts.  I’ve also ordered the excavation of the first few floors for the stained glass window and the glassworkers have gotten started on clear glass window production.  It’s going to be a busy year. 

Also, someone has been messing around with my office door.  My key didn’t fit the lock anymore so I had to pop the door off the hinges to get in so I could write this journal entry.  Of course, the ringing bells that went off when I did that just about scared the life out of me.  Plus I dropped the door and the breeze sent all the papers in my office flying around.  It's going to take the better part of the day to clean it up. 

This feels like Syntic’s work.  I’ll have to track him down to find out if it was him, get a new key and find out what’s going on.  If it wasn't Syntic, than it’s his job as Captain of the Guard to track down who’s been messing around with my door without authorization and why. 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Granite, 312

The year started off with a bang as another child of Vucar and Asmel, Dobar Sakzulkogan created a stunning wood amulet. 

I am so pleased with the high level of creativity from all our dwarves.  These artifacts are getting a touch recursive though.  This artifact has a picture of the cobalt figurine made last year.  The cobalt figure has a picture of the pig iron bracelet made by Vucar.  The pig iron bracelet has a picture of the vulture leather right mitten created several years ago now.  Pretty crazy!

The engravers in the meantime are getting some extra help from Hauling Crew I since there’s a lot of urgent stone smoothing to take care of.  I’ve explicitly told Crew I they aren’t allowed to do any work in the ramp stairwell.  That area is reserved for our professionals.  But getting the foundation for the windows polished up needs to be done fast and the extra hands do help. 

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Slate, 312

Today I officially commissioned the new hospital and shut down the old facility.  The old space will still be a dormitory for the time being.  There are just a few details left to sort out in the new hospital, mainly a couple of traction benches to install and of course we’re still waiting for the water to get up to pressure to supply the well.  I'm sure Michael will be pleased with Minkot Voderith's polished steel tables for surgery.

Also, I think I’ll add an office for Michael next to the hospital.  I know he isn’t demanding one, but all his medical records should be stored safely in one location near where he’ll be working. 

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Slate, 312

Tin Reaper finished setting up his first catapult in one of the storage rooms off the dining hall.  It’s a decent temporary location for a siege training ground.  I’ve given Tin Reaper the order to fire at will.  Hope he has fun!

[IEvents of the 22nd of Slate, 312[/I]

Zasit stomped into Syntic’s office in a fit.  Before Syntic could say two words, Zasit started ranting, “He didn’t make my items out of native aluminum.  I asked him and I asked him, but he just kept telling me that it couldn’t be done.  So I want him put in jail.”

“Who do you want in Jail?” asked Syntic?

“That armorsmith, Mebzuth his name is.  He just wouldn’t listen to me when I asked him to do stuff.  I’m sure he’s a bad dwarf, he’s been in jail before.” 

“Well, I’ll take care of that soon, I’ve just got a catapult to fire first.” replied Syntic, as he edged towards the door.  Then Syntic stepped out and headed out to test the catapult since Tin Reaper hadn’t gotten around to it yet.

OOC: Tin Reaper was taking a break so Syntic took a few moments to test the catapult. 

@Urist Imiknorris: You’re right, I hadn’t noticed that little detail about the relationship between Derm and his axe.  Now that is really cool!  I’m glad the axe got a name.

@Syntic: The pumpstack is actually ok; filling has worked out just fine.  Nice touch with messing around with Cog’s door to make it more “secure”.  Hope you like the result.  Syntic did remember to grab the note after all that right?

@Tuxman: Done, I like it!

@dermonster: Derm continues to be the god of war in Towersoared. 

@breadbocks: The bone decorating is going to have to wait a while.  I tested it out and one decoration consumed the entire stack of bones.  I’ll keep the forgotten beast bones forbidden for now so they can be used later once the bug is fixed.  In the meantime, a platinum throne has been built and I'll start adding other decorations to it. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:43:41 am by Battlecat »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2010, 02:24:03 pm »

I'm liking this . How's your throne coming? I expect at least 75 bones, 30 gems, and 45 pieces of metal on it.
The amounts I expect. Also, are you going to be using .14, or  staying with .12?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 23, 2010, 06:13:51 pm »

First time poster, and decided I loved this fort so much, that my first post would be of praise.  :o

Also, would it be fine for me to have a dwarf? Name it either Comp or Comp112 whichever tickles your fancy.

I do not know what to make him, but would it be at all possible to somehow make him a creepy hermit that lives out in the hills way above the fort?  :P

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:13 pm »

I do not know what to make him, but would it be at all possible to somehow make him a creepy hermit that lives out in the hills way above the fort?  :P
This could be incorporated into my idea. He will be the pump-tender for the water/magma springs.

Also, welcome!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:24 pm »

This could be incorporated into my idea. He will be the pump-tender for the water/magma springs.

Also, welcome!

Thank you! I hate to say, but I am still a noob. I have the basic down quite well, but always seems to get stuck. I tried my first mega project, a 16z level pump stack to flood the world with lava. Not that great, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Anyway, pump tender? Does that mean he operates the pumps, or just makes sure everything is going smoothly?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 23, 2010, 07:22:48 pm »

Being a noob at DF is a mark of pride. It states that you have passed through the First Trial (the graphics).

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 118