Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293723 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:45 pm »

I think we should put a giant waterfall running from the top of the mountain down. We have a dwarf-made spring at the top filled by a pump, then a channel down the side, ending in a straight drop over the entrance's sides.

by water, i assume you mean magma?
Water on one side, magma on the other.

How about two streams of both? Water on the inside, lava on the outside. Thus, in the event of an accident, the lava would not get at our dwarves.

(If you have our dorfs discussing this, I would prefer Adker's wife or kids being the ones to suggest this.)
Nah, wouldn't work. The streams would be liable to mix and create cave-ins. Also, my dorf, Martini had the idea in a burst of inspiration while working FB bone. I'm not letting your dorf get credit for my FPS-sink idea.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2010, 02:26:48 pm »

When I wrote 'If you (meaning Battlecat) have our dorfs discussing this, I would prefer Adker's wife or kids being the ones to suggest this.' I'd like to believe I obviously meant 'If, in character, the idea and the two-waterfall version is discussed, if one of Adker's family is present, that one could be the one to suggest the two-waterfalls-on-either-side version'. Less of a steal and more 'chirping in with an additional suggestion'.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:28:43 pm by ushilzagith »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:47 pm »

I know. And I said "I want my dorf to say it."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2010, 04:17:08 pm »

You realize that you're both going to barge into Cog's office and keep demanding his full and undivided attention while you each voice the same idea?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Moonstone, 311

Well today Derm the Soulchopper decided to name his steel battleaxe.  He calls it Akmeshitat or Tempestchills in the common tongue.  It certainly has a reputation being responsible for the death of two giants and a forgotten beast while in Derm’s hands. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trading with the Dwarven Caravan this year was lucrative as always.  I love how they always bring tonnes of what I ask for.  And of course, we return the favor quite nicely by trading very generously.  Over 20k in gemstones this year.  If I could just get the design for the stained glass windows nailed down . . .

Cog’s Journal, 8th of Opal, 311

Today we started channeling the floor of the dining hall to expose the future water features.  This is a pretty exciting turn of events.  I’m looking forward to throwing the switch on our nearly completed pump stack! 

We just need to finish up the entire first unit of the power plant before we can fire it up.  So close!

Additionally, I’ve had some fantastic suggestions come across my desk for future projects around the fortress.  Dragonshardz suggested we put a skylight in above the dome.  Silver reflective walls would carry the light down no matter the sun angle.  I mentioned that Syntic had suggested a waterfall in the past we’ll try to combine both ideas.  I’ve got some ideas already to make it happen but I’m looking forward to seeing Dragonshardz’s blueprints. 

Martini came by to chat while I was eating the dining hall tonight.  Apparently, his work on the beast bones has inspired a couple of interesting project ideas once again.  The first I’m still torn about since I’m not usually given to personal excess.  However, the idea of a platinum throne decorated with forgotten beast bones, gems and metals from our fortress does have a certain appeal.  I think I’ll give him the go ahead in the near future once a platinum throne is built.  I’m going to arrange a new office soon anyhow. 

Martini’s other idea really grabbed my attention.  A pair of artificial rivers and cascading down on either side of the fortress entrance sounds fantastically dwarven.  Water on one side, magma on the other should create a fantastic dichotomy.  The discussion over dinner was quite inspiring with several dwarves chiming in questions and ideas.  The idea having both water and magma on each side did come up from one of Adker’s children, but water and magma don’t mix too terribly well.  I’ve since added the concept into the master fortress plan*.

Let’s see, what else came up?  Oh yes, Tin Reaper came by with some drawings that show imagination but could use some work.  I passed him a couple of copies of books on siege engineering from my library for his enjoyment and education.  I’ll put the work order in for him to build some parts and then install one in an empty room by the dining hall to start pulverizing stone for a while. 

Oh and Derm is apparently bored and wants the miners to dig down to see if there are more caves.  I think that can be arranged in the new year.  Last thing I’d ever want is for Derm to be bored.  Whatever the idea, it’s great to see so much interest in the future of our home! 

Events of the, 2nd of Obsidian, 311

No dwarf could miss the sounds that occurred today.  Anyone walking near the power plant heard the humming of the waterwheels grow audibly louder as the first full 800 power unit was activated. 

Then Cog issued the order, “Throw the Switch!”

Despite the complexity of the system, all the dwarves knew exactly which switch Cog was referring to.  The lockout control for the 15 story pumpstack that would bring water up to the dining hall.  Fresh, clean water instead of the murky water they had lived with for the past decade.  The tanner/butcher Risen Isakdegel got the honor of pulling the switch. 

With a loud roar and the echoing grinding of gears, the massive pumpstack lurched into operation, using nearly half the power capacity of the power plant to operate.  Then the sound of the pumps faded and was replaced with the sound of flowing water.  The air in the dining hall began to move as a solid wall of water began flowing up the carefully prepared and smoothly polished channels towards the dining hall. 

It would be many days before the water reached the hall, but there was great excitement that the system was working. 

Events of the, 16th of Obsidian, 311

Hey look, our traditional end of year siege has arrived.  I’ll be dispatching the entire military for this one.  I’m sure our new squads could use some practice.   

OOC: The water system is carefully pressurized to force water up to just below the floor of the dining hall.    I just hope that I’ve read all the details about water flow correctly.  I’ll be running the siege later tonight, hoping things go smoothly. 

*Regarding the master fortress plan, there really is one.  It is a very rough drawing that still has a lot of blank spaces.  They’re slowly being filled in by ideas though. 

@breadbocks: I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t even built the platinum throne yet.  But you’ve been working on the forgotten beast bone bolts.  I’ve been distracted by a bunch of glitches in getting the pump stack up and running.  Stupid pumps kept getting built in the wrong order and collapsing.  Now that that’s done I’ll get things set up for starting the throne decoration project. 

I love the waterfall idea. I hope the above acknowledgement works for you! 

@Urist Imiknorris: Yup, that’s right.  I think something might change in the near future though. 

@dragonshardz: Makes sense.  I’ve got some ideas how to make both happen, but I’m looking forward to seeing your take on it. 

@Tin Reaper: :)

@Crifmer: No problem at all.  There will be a migration sometime in the near future (next couple of game years).  I’ll make sure to dorf you when they arrive.  Good luck with the megaproject, glad you’ve been enjoying your visits!

@ushilzagith: I can certainly rename your dwarf’s child.  Consider it done based on your dwarf’s last journal entry.  Also, one of your children chimed in during the conversation with Martini as mentioned above, your call which one. 

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

Journal of Michael Theateryawn, MD:

The new dining hall looks, how should I put it, stunning. Nothing like the old mountainhome. Even if it's not yet polished, the gem is still beautiful. Anyway, enough with the poetics. Haven't had much work around the trauma center lately, only routine health check-ups on a number of dwarves. Seems Shorast is doing a good job not breaking anything since his last visit, hopefully he won't need any more serious medical attention (although if I was in charge, I'd have him help out around the fortress, somewhere where he is far away from possible combat injuries  :D ). Cog has managed to get the water reactors running and pumping fresh water, this is great news ! IF we ever need to clean an open wound to operate it or stitch it or whatever, we will be able to do it with clean, fresh water, and not with stagnant, parasite filled water. Maybe Cog will also get some time now to designate a new place for the hospital, although that is not a high priority, considering the low number of injuries occured in this place in the last decade. But still, if a new trauma ward will be mined out in a new section of the fortress, I might talk with Cog to get my quarters mined out near it, so I'd be ready in case of an emergency. Nothing too fancy, just a bed, a cabinet, a chest, maybe even a couple of animal traps...heh, yeah, keep dreaming Michael. There's no need of a new hospital, not without pacients.

Oh look, the goblins are sieging us again. Better get ready for possible pacients.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2010, 05:52:09 pm »

Tempestchills, eh? I like it. But wasn't he responsible for all three giants' deaths?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »

You should have gotten Derm an addy axe while you still could've. :'( Anyways, I look forwards to seeing how this turns out.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2010, 06:12:08 pm »

Meowth! That's right!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »

Derm would probably just stash his current axe in his room if you upgraded.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 21, 2010, 06:25:00 pm »

Stay in 31.12.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 21, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »

A storm is coming. And I am the reaper. Come tempest! FEEL THE CHILL OF THE GRAVE!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 21, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »

Journal of Dragonshardz Iklistzefon, Master Engraver

I find architectural drawings to be quite a bit more challenging than my usual engravings. It is very hard to keep the drawings simple and refrain from adding in my usual flourishes and artistic touches. I am still working on the drawings, though after talking with a few residents about my ideas in a purely hypothetical sense, I may go back and change the plans slightly.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 21, 2010, 07:45:58 pm »

A storm is coming. And I am the reaper. Come tempest! FEEL THE CHILL OF THE GRAVE!

Derm is obviously a poet, so I changed it for you:

A Storm Is Com-ing (5)
And I am The Great Rea-per (7)
Come Tem-pest. Feel Death (5)
Meowth! That's right!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:40 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

Well it's official, Cog is not just a dwarf with a plan, but a full fledged mad scientist. When he shouted for the switch to be thrown to turn on the pump stack, you could hear it in the tone of his voice. He was born with that spark of genius and charisma that only a rare few will even ever catch the faintest glimpses of. I'm sure back at the mountain home they saw him as an evil mad scientist, but in my years here I have never even heard him suggest anything remotely evil. He hasn't even suggest that troops be sent out to expand our territory, and instead seems willing to work in the space he has available.

ooc: something odd about dwarfs I just noticed that this game reflects. Dwarfs always seem to enjoy a good fight, but never seem to actively go out and look for one. Sure they might get caught up in a war and take the war to the enemies door step, but they don't seem to be the guys to start it. At least not directly. I bet Dwarfs and Goblins could get along just fine if Goblins could take dwarven humor and criticism. I mean think about it, dwarves are proud of their craftmenship and goblins aren't well known for making epic anythings. I can just see a dwarf and a goblin eating dinner and the dwarf getting drunk (like normal) and then start berating the goblin for his crappy sword. One thing leads to another and instead of the goblins opening trade relations with the dwarfs to get swords, they decide to just try and take them with force.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 118