Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293713 times)

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:45 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I must say I'm rather excited for the future right now. The dining hall will soon have furniture moved in, and people will soon be able to enjoy a meal in a place like no other. I also saw the plans for the water reactors, and I must say that they are impressive. Each reactor is able to be sealed in a room of it's own in the event something goes wrong, but I just don't see that happening. I do hope though that Cog does a test run with one before turning all four on. Not just in turning it on, but turning it off and draining it as well. With as much water pressure as will be in this system if something goes wrong with one of them, it'll likely go wrong with all of them as well. I can easily see that entire floor being flooded if something was miscalculated in some way.

With the water reactors plans in the works, I wonder if this means an obsidian factory will be built soon. Something about that particular stone appeals to me, and I hope to see our very own dwarf made obsidian soon. It might be interesting if a temple to the various gods we all warship was carved out of that stone, with other stones being brought in for walkways that contrast and complement.

On a somewhat related note, I heard talk of a forgotten beast that has gas clouds. I heard suggestion that one of the more trained dwarfs be sent to deal with it, and then put into quarantine to monitor the effects of the gas. This made me think that in the long run a good place to put such a quarantine room in the future would be connected to the temple, as if we can not help our fellow dwarf perhaps the gods would be able. Of course in this particular situation it wouldn't be possible to get something so elaborate set up, but who knows when we might have another similar situation. I can easily see someone suggesting that an unused dungeon cell be used for such a dwarf, but I hope nobody does make such a suggestion. A dwarf that has clearly been serving the fortress, and has done nothing wrong should never be kept in a cell if it can be avoided.

No matter where a quarantine room is built, it should have all comforts and amenities available.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 14, 2010, 12:48:58 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Timber, 310

Today I authorized the start of excavation of the stairwells, storage and hallways on the south side of the dining hall.  They’ll start moving upwards to the bedrooms on the south side very quickly as well.  It’s time to get a bit of symmetry in place.  Not to mention, enough room for all the dwarves living here. 

Another dwarf just came by to ask about joining the military. 

He has aspirations to become a marksdwarf.  He’s got a lot of work ahead of him to catch up with the rest of his squad, but this does put the marksdwarf crew up to 5 dwarves.  At least it’s a lower risk position when compared with joining Derm’s squad this late in their career. 

Also, the suggesting regarding the forgotten beast seems to be setting up a quarantine facility for the dwarf or dwarves assigned to kill it.  I’ll have to ensure that the isolation facility is well furnished to prevent unhappiness from the resident.

Cog’s Journal, 12h of Timber, 310

Hard to believe it’s that time already.  The dwarven caravan was spotted coming over the hills towards our fortress.  I’ve dispatched Derm and his soldiers to greet them.  If they have half of what I ordered last year, we’ll be well set for the dining room window project in the coming year. 

Events of the, 15h of Timber, 310

Derm and his squad were out near the gates walking with the caravan and its guards as they approached the fortress.  They were close to safety when the unthinkable happened. A siege had slipped up on the despite their careful watch.  Worse or better still, a squad of axedwarves had arrived right next to the arriving caravan.  Fortunately, they hadn’t expected Derm and his squadmates to be out here with the caravan guards. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Without a moment’s hesitation he shouted for reinforcements and then brandished his axe and charge the nearest goblin, his soldiers close behind.  Derm and his squad quickly cut into the goblins and chopped them to shreds before they had a chance to even take a decent swing at them.  Derm lead with a particularly beautiful shot right through a goblins spine, and then continued with maiming several more.   

Then a shout went out from the caravan guards behind them, “We’ve got Trolls back here!” 

Derm turned and shouted to his squad, gesturing with his axe, “CHARGE”!  Derm could already see a second squad of goblins close behind the trolls.  He quickly beheaded one troll, removed the legs of a goblin and then chopped another troll in half.  Just as the fight was wrapping up, the hammer lord charged up behind him.  Derm casually opened the hammer lord’s throat with his axe.

The remaining goblins and trolls fell without incident.  Derm ordered his squad back to the gates, there were two more squads of goblins approaching from that direction.  He arrived at the gates just as the last merchant went inside.  He looked over at the goblins, there were no archers in these two squads.   Again, he sounded the charge, this time the hammerdwarves and crossbow squad were close behind.  Derm took great joy in the slaughter that followed, the military ensured that not a single goblin escaped. 

But there were still two squads left.  Over above the gates there was a squad of trolls wandering around.  And coming down out of the hills was one last squad of macegoblins.  Derm quickly decided what to do about the situation.  “You lot go take care of the goblins.  I’ve got the trolls covered.”

The trolls were not grouped together and were kind of wandering aimlessly.  Derm was confident he could take care of them.  The first troll charged with a roar.  He easily evaded the trolls clumsy attack and took off one of its toes with his axe just for kicks.  But that was just a start as he tore the troll into several pieces with his axe. 

The second troll was even easier as Derm chopped one of its legs off, sending it tumbling to the ground where he quickly dispatched it.  The third troll met a similar fate. 

The rest of the squad was still up in the hills.  The remaining goblins sounded the retreat and were leaving the area.  The next trolls actually screeched in terror when they saw him and tried to avoid him.  But Derm wasn’t going to let them escape that easily. 

With a flourish of an axe, he send the arms of the last remaining troll flying through the sky and then shouted out the victory of Towersoared once again! 

A fine battle once again.  No injuries, not even to Shorast the Unlucky.  And the merchants were safe and unloading at the depot now.  Even better, he had fourteen more kills to his credit, eight of which were trolls.  Now it was time to consider what to do about the poisonous eight legged turtle down in the caves.  Well, maybe after he got a drink first. 

OOC: That was extremely lucky.  Glad I’ve started dispatching a squad to meet up with the merchants lately. 

@breadbocks: That’s one option.  I’m really hoping that the gas isn’t too powerful.  I’ll have to carve a pleasant quarantine room.  I think I’ll set it up at the back of the jail. 

@Urist Imkiknorris: Perfect, I’ll get the miners started.  Under floor magma heating will be a bit further out,  but I’ll set it up to be carved at the same time I get the dining hall channels put in place. 

@ushilzagith: Welcome aboard!  I’ve posted your dwarf above.  He’s a former member of hauling crew three responsible for masonry and refuse hauling only.  He’s one of the few dwarves I’ve found with a long straight combed beard instead of braids.  In future sieges I'll keep track of what you're up to just like Derm.  In this case, you weren't promoted before the siege. 

@Dermonster: We'll have to see.  Honestly I'm quite concerned about how dangerous the poison could be.  Derm the Soulchopper is tough as nails and super strong but he's actually still sitting at Very slow to heal! 

@Tuxman: Actually, you’re already training with your full steel weapon at the moment.  As it turned out, low ranking military members don’t seem to spar.  They mostly seem to go with individual training.  By the time they start sparring, they’re more than safe to work with steel.  Besides, dwarves still don’t rearm properly when they’re deployed, so it’s easier just to have the real weapons in hand. 

@Syntic: So many interesting comments and ideas.  I’ve got some in character responses from Cog’s end in the next update.  This one was getting pretty long due to the siege. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:30:56 am by Battlecat »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 14, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 14, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »

OOC: What does Adker's wife do? Anything interesting to note about his kids?

Journal of Adker Rithasas, Marksdwarf. 16th of Timber.

Finally, a real job. Our ome is so large that we are going to see a real ece econome soon. Ive been hauling crap and I really mean crap for years and had three kids but no job. Now I am in the mille military. This is a good jub job. The other crossbowdwarfs are already very good, but I am going to be as good very soon. I most practis extra hard and catch up. Then I will be able to provide for my family and my kids will luuk look up to me instead of thinking that dad is too stupid to do anything that isnt carrying junk.

I should have gone an asked mr Cog the Arhitect sooner, but he's really so important. I dared not to go and know that most of my old teammates think like that also because noone wants to have the job of carrying junk for many years. But he is the one who came up with digging a huge hole and covering it with green glas just to make a dining room. The current dining room is already very pretty and nice and I don't know why we need a fancy new one, but it will sure be impressiv.

Mr Cog is very clever. He saw the caravans flag from far away and sent the axedwarfs to guard the caravan because somehow he knew the goblins will attack caravan in front of our gate. I wonder if they had anything nice. I once saw a caravan bring a skepter with a huge black diamond to a baron. It was so pretty and the baron was so happy he did not ask for anything more for six months. I wish I had one of those, only maybe It should be a ring so I would have my hands free, but this is a silly thought because only nobles get pretty things like that.

I must learn to writ better because if anyone reads this they will laugh so much. Anyway I am going to the archery range now. I got a brand new crossbow for free.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Timber, 310

What an amazing haul the traders brought this year.  I’ve already counted over 15,000 worth of gems along, not to mention the platinum and wood they brought as well.  It will keep us busy for many months to come.  We barely used a quarter of the trade good we had available though.  What amazingly valuable products our crafters have been creating of late. 

Syntic came by with a number of interesting questions and suggestions.  With regard to the water system, the entrance to the power plan will be through a stairway from above so there shouldn’t be a significant risk of flooding even if things do go horribly wrong!  An obsidian factory is on the horizon for the future.  In fact, I envision building the surface walls of the fortress entirely from obsidian.  The current walls are simply placeholders for the moment although they are in the final planned location.  And yes, I have plans for removing and replacing the walls without any risk to our masons. 

As for his ideas regarding the quarantine facility, I have to say I’m in agreement.  It needs to be a top quality place.  A small temple to the gods should be easy to accomplish.  I know there are already a couple statues of specific gods floating around. 

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Timber, 310

A nasty little kobold thief popped up next to our thresher and cut him right to the bone on the hand and leg with his knife.   This of course could not go unanswered.  Fortunately, Derm’s axedwarves are very fast now.  They scared up a second thief while they were chasing down the first one. 

It was a hard chase, but they caught and killed the thief.

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Moonstone, 310

It’s just barely enough to count, but today the first table and chair were installed in our dining hall.  A masterwork golden table    and a masterwork silver chair were selected, both creations of Minkot Voderith from so many years ago now.  It’s still not officially a dining hall, the room will be assigned officially at the end of the year.  But we’re getting started. 

This is just the beginning.  Already there is space appearing among the rocks and soon more tables and chairs will make their way to the dining hall.  At long last! 

And another exciting note, the entrance hallway has also reached its ground floor.  Still lots more work to do before we open it to the world since the spiral stairway still has many floors to go but this is an exciting milestone as well. 

And yet, there’s still so much more to do!   But this is so very exciting! 

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Moonstone, 310

More good news.  Thanks to our talented doctors, our injured thresher is expected to make a full recovery.

Also, I think Derm will like this statue that turned up while I was reviewing the work of our masons. 

At least it’s not goblins this time.  This was a much more memorable event, it's nice to see it immortalized in stone. 

OOC:

@Urist Imiknorris: Interesting choice.  It works. 

@ushilzagith: Adker’s wife is one of the farmers.  She hasn’t had a lot of work due to farm overproduction in the last few years so she’s been working mostly at hauling as well.  She’ll be back to farming in the near future though.  None of your children are particularly noteworthy yet other than the usual out of control social skills! 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2010, 05:13:54 pm »

Why aren't the walls of that hall solid gold? I demand it!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:44 pm »

New theme music for Derm.

It's Always nice to see another Homestuck fan.
Atomyc Ebonpyre is NICE!
We're doing this man! WERE MAKIN IT HAPPEN!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »

New theme music for Derm.

It's Always nice to see another Homestuck fan.
Atomyc Ebonpyre is NICE!
Where doing this man! WHERE MAKIN IT HAPPEN!

Fixed that there.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:39 pm »

eCog’s Journal, 24th of Opal, 310

Apparently we struck silver in the back corner of Urist Imiknorris’ room! 

We’ve been very fortunate to discover vast quantities of gold, but silver is far less common.  Most of our silver has come from the smelting of galena.  I won’t be damaging the walls of the room though, the miners can go around the back if we need to acquire more in the future. 

Cog’s Journal, 8th of Obsidian, 310

Urist Imiknorris’s rooms are done.  The statues, coffers and the door are all her creations. 

These are the four identical statues placed in the room.  They are all exceptional or masterworks by Urist Imiknorris. 

On a separate note, my changes to the design of the dining hall seating area have resulted in us running out of golden tables and silver thrones.  I’ve ordered some more crafted.  This is a good indication that we’ll be able to seat more than half the fortress in this hall when it is done! 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Obsidian, 310

What an odd way to finish up the year.  Vucar Shemlir our legendary metalcrafter and mother went into a strange mood a couple weeks ago.  She finally started her project without incident but right in the middle of the project, she gave birth to another child.  She must have really be focused because she kept working without even noticing. 

In the end she created a surprisingly beautiful pig iron bracelet. 

Then she headed out to find her child. 

Just to top things off, an ambush showed up at the front of our fortress.  The alarms attached to the cages traps notified us with time to spare and Derm’s axedwarves polished them off without incidient.  Derm slept through the whole incident though. 

Events of the 28th of Obsidian, 310

Cog stands up on one of the newly installed golden tables in the dining hall.  A small space of order has been cleared among the madness of loose stone on the floor.  The winter sun was shining in through the green glass ceiling and the stained glass window at the west end.  Cog clears his throat, his voice echoing in the huge space. 

“Happy New Year’s my fellow dwarves!   It’s been a long hard road to get to this point, but at long last our new dining hall is open for use!  The entire east end of this grand hall should be considered our dining area!  At long last we will be dining in true style!”

“All of you should be proud of your work to date!  We wouldn’t be here without the efforts of each and every dwarf in this fortress.  But there is still much more to accomplish.  Over the next year I plan to see food storage moved down to the dining hall and more of our living quarters fully completed.  Minkot Voderith should have the remaining tables and chairs finished in the next few months.  The additional work of choosing statues for the room will be ongoing, but I plan to have a wide variety of works from all our talented masons, metalcrafters and glassworkers installed.”

Two final things before we get on with the party.  First, I plan on beginning work on the window project soon.  I’ll be keeping the exact design as a surprise for the future.  Secondly, I’ve brought the latest architectural notes for the past year for your enjoyment.  That’s all, enjoy the party!” 

OOC: The dining hall is officially OPEN!  Still a lot left to do to get rid of the rocks.  Most of the uncleaned sections of the hall are covered 6-8 rocks deep on each tile. 

@breadbocks: Aside from the fact that excavation was just wrapped up at the end of Opal?  I’d like to keep the option of engraving the walls of the dining hall open.  It would also mess up the nice clean line of the curve at the east end of the hall.  I'm not discounting the idea though, but I might just do something else absurd with all the gold that I've been digging up. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:33:28 am by Battlecat »

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2010, 03:25:25 pm »

A few questions: Whatever happened to the artifact throne (relic described on page 2)? Could that be the reason the old dining hall is so beloved and will it find it's way to, say, becoming Cog's personal throne in the new hall?

I would expect Asmel and Vucar's room to have a couple of extra beds for the non-grown-up kids as well, yet all bedrooms have only one bed. Are the ones by the dining hall really the only bedrooms in the fort besides those of the dwarves who specifically asked for separately placed rooms?

Journal of Adker Rithasas, Marksdwarf. 26th of Opal.

Wow. I spent all of yestoday yestiday yesterday just looking at the new dining hall. It only needs to have the floors cleaned of stone and then it is complete. I don't know if every one is even brave enough to eat there because the tables are gold and the chairs are silver. I know so many people was happy with the old dining room even though it is small and this one is just so impressiv that eating there when you are only a hauler or carpinta carpen woodworker.

Some kobolds have been stealing things. Usually the axedwarfs kill them but they sometimes take stuff away. I think the thing in the corner of the wall looks like a tower's base so maybe we will get a barraks in there. Everything in this fortress is going to be so luksu luksorius that we won't always even be able to afford proper rooms.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:34:39 pm by ushilzagith »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:55 am »

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Granite, 311

Nothing like starting the new year off with a bang.  Today I had Rogue’s mining crew start work on the power plant facility while our engravers work on the latest floor of the entrance ramp.  Cleanup of the dining hall is proceeding nicely.  I’ve designated the first two prepared meal stockpiles adjacent to the dining hall and I’ve revoked the storage of prepared meals upstairs.  Over the next few months we should have stuff hauled downstairs.

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Granite, 311

Today Catten Kolesis the Axedwarf bestowed a name on her steel battleaxe.  At 61 notable kills, this axe certainly deserves recognition.  She bestowed the name “Mishakullung, The Speechless Conjurers” upon it. 

I’m still looking forward to hearing what Derm is going to call his axe. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Granite, 311

I’m sure the mechanics crew is pleased by the orders I issued today.  While the power plant is still being excavated, the command level is finished, so I’ve ordered the installation of the entire suite of control levers.  Soon the facilities for linkup will be in place as well. 

Cog’s Journal, 6h of Slate, 311

A loud crashing sound drew several of us down to the jail level today.  Peeking through a tiny gap in the mortar in the brick wall we built to during construction we saw the forgotten beast Stibmer destroying our jail.  It’s a bit frustrating to see the place being destroyed but that’s what happens when you don’t have a chance to finish building it. 

Hmmmm.  This gives me an idea.  I wonder how dumb this beast is. 

Events of the 11h of Slate, 311

Adker Rithasas the Novice Marksdwarf waited beside the freshly carved fortifications looking into the jail area with the rest of his squad.  This was a dangerous plan but it might help them take back the caves.  Sazir Tishisamost, Adker’s squad leader had explained Cog’s idea.  Cog said that the beast wasn’t intelligent enough to use its poisonous breath against dwarves attacking through fortifications.  In fact, Cog figured that the beast wasn’t bright enough to recognize the bolts as coming from a threat. 

Granted if it wasn’t that dumb, the marks dwarves would be

The beast had moved back out into the cave, but there was one way to attract the beast back.  Beside him, there was a clanking sound as the drawbridge lower down, loudly opening the access to the caves.  Immediately, there was a roar from the cave and Stibmer came lumbering towards the fortress.  Almost immediately, the drawbridge began to close again with plenty of time before the beast got near. 

Suddenly, the 8 legged beast lurched around the corner.  Immediately, the marksdwarves began firing.  Adker was a bit slow off the mark and his first two shots went wild but then his third arrow shot through a gap in the armor and into the chest.  A gasp from the beast suggested that the arrow hit the lung. 

Bolts flew in rapid succession and the Stibmer lurched here and there looking for the source of the pinprick injuries.  And as Cog had suspected, the beast just didn’t seem to realize that one burst of poison breath at their wall would end the dwarves.  He kept firing, most of his bolts striking the beast in the legs. 

The other marksdwarves were firing even faster.  Two headed upstairs to get more bolts.  The rest kept firing.  A particularly vicious shot in one leg caused the beast to loose its balance and collapse to the ground.  Then it lurched around the corner out of their line of fire.  Sazir then signaled them to go upstairs to re-arm.  He muttered about putting a bolt stockpile down here for the future if this was going to be a regular thing. 

Dodok Berkashez still had bolts left; he volunteered to stay and watch to see if the beast departed.  As they walked upstairs, they heard the sound of Dodok’s crossbow firing 5 times in quick succession and then a loud thump.  Dodok started yelling in excitement, “I GOT HIM!” 

OOC: It suddenly struck me that I might be able to use fortifications to take down this beast safely.  It worked perfectly.  I don’t plan to do this every time, but I think I might use it for beasts that pose a significant risk to melee dwarves.  Also, it was a nice chance to get Adker into the fight, even if he didn’t get the final kill.  As I've always said, Cog doesn't like to waste dwarven lives.  Also, I can confirm that crossbows are sufficiently lethal to take down a forgotten beast.  I'm pretty pleased with the results actually. 

@ushilzagith: Nope, there aren’t any artifacts in the old dining hall.  The artifact throne is safely stored along with the rest of the artifact quality items.  Eventually, I’ll be building a museum to house most of them.   As for the bedrooms, what you see are indeed the only bedrooms.  But there will be enough to eventually assign separate rooms to all the children.  As for the rent issue, Cog will address that in the future if it ever comes up.  I suspect it won't be an issue though. 

Hope you like this update, your dwarf already got his first taste of combat.   

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2010, 11:08:26 am »

Dwarves: ? (# of FBs killed + 1 for daring to settle here)
Primal forces of nature: 0

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »

Relics are not used? Is Cog jealous of other's achievements that he wants them displayed behind glass?

In all seriousness, I am happy about this battle. It's not often that a simple little guy's first real battle would be against an epic monstrosity. Well, actually a mighty monstrosity might give plenty of 'first battles' to varied simple little peasants, but most of those the monsters tend to win for some reason.

Journal of Adker Rithasas, Marksdwarf. 12th of Slate, 311:

The giant turtle-monster is dead! We killed it, from safely behind a wall. The monster was too stupid to breathe poison at emem enemies behind a wall even though it had holes in it for us to shoot through so we were safe. The monster had a really tough shell so hitting the body was hard. Most of my squadmates aimed for those big eyes that it never closed, but the monster pulled the head in too quickly for bolts to hit its branes. I mostly just shot at the feets. It had four pairs of feet, so there was a lot to shoot at! This is a day of glory for all of us and especially Dodok Berkashez who got the killing shot. Only he and me had bolts left and he has been in the army longer than me, so it made sense. I'll go and see if they are going to throw us a party in the huge dining hall.

Also, my kids have been complen cam complinening saying that there is not room to sleep because our bed is small. They are right. Now that I am in the army and have actually taken part of a real fight I should ask one of the carpeters for a new bed in our room so that all five of us don't have to sleep all bunchd up.

13th of Slate:
I can't stop thinking about the beast's corpse. I wonder what will they make out of the shell. It was big enough to make a house out of it! Also, I just realised that I don't know almost anything about Dodok.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2010, 03:25:27 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Slate, 311

Our military successfully killed the beast in the caves!  I’m so glad my plan with the fortifications worked.  I’m sure Derm isn’t entirely thrilled but I had to at least try this alternative if it protected dwarven lives. 

Adker came by to ask about getting an additional bed for his growing family.  I can easily meet that request and I told him so.  I mentioned that the second batch of bedrooms were going to be open soon and there would be space for each of his children to have a room of their own so him and his wife could have some private space. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Slate, 311

Our butcher finally finished taking apart Stibner’s corpse.  Unlike the previous two beasts, this one actually has a skeleton.  We obtained the following resources from the beast:
        314 Units of Meat
        2 Eyes
        41 units of Organ Meat
        34 units of shell (Thank the gods!)
        152 bones

Elian Bimedos our cook is going to have a blast working with this meat I think.  It’s looks quite high quality.  As for the bones, I’m leaning towards decorating and crafts work with it.  I’ll put the question to our dwarves, but particularly Martini since he’ll be working with it. 

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Felsite, 311

Today the child Tulon Ingishlogem began babbling madly and charged off to the nearest craftsdwarf workshop.  It looks like a classic possession to me. 

Tulon is the youngest daughter of Lor Lilarrovod the planter and Adker Rithasas our newest marksdwarf.  I really hope she doesn’t like shells. 

Cog’s Journal, 12th of Felsite, 311

Apparently there were no serious issues, Tulon just wanted some bones to make a simple war hammer. 

Interesting.  I may have to assign it to someone on the hammerdwarf squad just to see how well it performs in combat. 

OOC: Actually, I’m pretty sure Tulon grabbed more than just the bones but it all vanished.  Still, pretty cool item. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Felsite, 311

The Elven caravan arrived today.  Hopefully nothing goes wrong on their walk to the fortress.  These days they bring very little that we need besides the small quantity of surface booze.  And occasionally some wood which is going to be useful now that we are beginning to build our power plant.  Plus the exotic animals are going to be useful in the future if they ever bring breeding pairs. 

OOC: This is the first forgotten beast I’ve actually killed that has meat and bones.  The spider was useless and the glass dust breather is at the bottom of an underground lake. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Dwarves: 4 = 3 FB’s + 1 for embarking here. 
That number goes up to 6 if you include the two giants. 
                                Primal Forces of Nature: 0

@ushilzagith: Actually it’s more along the lines of making sure they’re placed somewhere all dwarves can enjoy them rather than tucked away in some nobles room.  I’m planning on building the artifact statue in the middle of the museum and setting it up as a statue garden.  The other furniture items will be constructed appropriately and unusable items will be placed safely for viewing.  Also, the requested extra bed is being installed in your room pending the new bedrooms being assigned to your children. 

@breadbocks: So what would Martini our resident bone crafter like to do with 152 forgotten beast bones? 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

Might I recommend 760 bolts?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 118