Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293705 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »

An epic Tower is on the books but it’ll be a while before I get it going. 

Naturally, else the fort wouldn't live up to its name.

Requesting a bedroom:

z1
╔═══════╗
║Ω+   +Ω║
║+  Ӕ  +║
║  +++  ║
║ Ӕ+θ+++╪ <door
║  +++  ║
║+  Ӕ  +║
║Ω+   +Ω║
╚═══════╝

z-1

╔═══════╗
777O777
77╔╬╗77
7O╬╬╬O77 magma -->
77╚╬╝77
777O777
╚═══════╝

I don't care what the statues are, as long as they're all about the same thing, made of the same stone, and made by me. Optional: All the same quality level.

Same deal with the chests, minus the (inapplicable) subject matter.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
thats almost scary specific...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »

You want four IDENTICAL statues? Do you realize how impossible that is? ._O
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2010, 09:51:06 pm »

1. Restrict a workshop to just my dwarf. This also works to nail down the subject matter, as dwarves are more likely to make art of things they like. My money is on suns, donkeys, cheese, or one of my dwarf's friends/grudges. I'm hoping it's suns.
2. Put a stone stockpile around it that only accepts one type of stone.
3. Order statues on repeat.
4. Wait.
5. Profit!
6. Atomsmash whatever you don't want.

Again, quality is optional, but most of the statues will be either superior or exceptional, given my dwarf's legendariness. I've thought this out.

>_>
<_<

I usually give a similar room to each of my founders.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:56:28 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:01 am »

And do the same for nobles, but make sure to have a "magma pool refill valve" at level z+1 so they can refill the magma pool. If it just so happens to malfunction, well, it's no great loss. And if you make sure to have a drain at z-2, well, so much the better.

Pesky nobles.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2010, 10:01:07 am »

Personally I've never been a fan of offing Nobles. Sure they sometimes make requests that are impossible for you to do with your resources but that just adds to the drama that is dwarf fortress. Though that doesn't change the fact that I'm a firm believer in that some rooms (like a nobles) need to be built with a death trap just in case.

King - "You've failed me Baron von Idiot, go to your room and don't come out again until I send for you."

Baron - "How will I get food though if I can not leave my room your majesty?"

King - "Just pull the lever in your room when you get hungry. Be careful though, the meal that will be dropped into your room will be very hot. Try not to burn yourself."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2010, 06:09:29 pm »

Dukes are especially bad. Three mandates at a time...

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2010, 06:52:01 pm »

Dukes are especially bad. Three mandates at a time...

I suppose my enjoyment with mandates is that I've really never had an epic fortress in my games. Do you ever get conflicting mandates?

Duke Insane - "Don't do shit with glass guys. Buy the way make me 17 glass items"
Glass Crafter - "Wait so what do I do? I'm so confused, I don't want to go to the dungeon, perhaps if I ignore him he'll go away."
Duke Insane - "I'm happy that you didn't make any glass things, but I'm angry that nobody made my 17 glass items."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2010, 07:00:31 pm »

Mandates:
Make nickel silver items (3/3)
export of nickel silver items forbidden
make querns (2/2)

Demands: Bed in office

Usually it goes something like that.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 1st of Granite, 310

The rest of the year went smoothly and last nights party was still quite enthusiastic despite the problems we’ve had over the past year.  In addition to bringing the latest architectural drawings and the ledger for the past year, I’ve also included a few drawings for everyone to get an idea of the growth of the fortress projects.

Spoiler: 309 Ledger (click to show/hide)

First, here’s a large composite look at the dining hall. 

This shot is a look at part of the stained glass window at the end of the dining hall.  The matching window overlooking our entrance hall is just starting to be put into place. 

The depth of the dining hall is getting very impressive.  It’s also getting very close to completion.  The golden bowl is partially visible in this shot. 

Inside the pyramid the nightwing still lurks. 

The entrance stairwell is coming along beautifully.  It won’t be finished until after the dining hall, no surprise but I’m extremely pleased with the resulting appearance.  It’s not visible in this shot, but there is extensive engraving on the outer walls of the stairway.  The future entrance hall will come in via the lower right corner of the image. 

Last but not least, this image is a token shot of our prison and the surrounding caves. 

It’s great to see some of these projects coming close to fruition. 

On another not, Uris Imiknorris came by to request a new bedroom with a pretty specific design.  As our head stonework, she’s certainly within her rights to make the request.  The use of magma means that it won’t be possible to put it overlooking the dining hall but I should be able to pick out a good alternate spot.

Fortunately, there is a large surplus of statues waiting to decorate several projects once they’re done.  I believe there are four identical statues already sitting in her workshop waiting to be installed. 

OOC: Courtesy of the timely release of the latest version of stonesense.  So nice to finally see the green glass and colors properly! 

@Urist Imiknorris: Yup indeed, magma is good.  Statues are already done, they're made out of andesite.  I just have to pick out a spot to place the room.  Just one quick clarification on the design since I don’t use the ascii symbols.  I know the omegas are statues, and the AE characters are coffers.   What do the + symbols represent?  Are they engraved floors, grates or something else?   

@breadbocks: Easier than it sounds when the dwarves obsess over one moment in pre-fortress history!  I’ve already got four nice identical statues ready to go. 

@Syntic: I’m in agreement, I prefer to deal with the nobles for good or ill.  All part of the fun.  I've never seen anything conflicting from various nobles.  There doesn't seem to be anything beyond a don't export command.  They never forbid the use of materials within a fort.  At least not that I've ever seen.   

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »

Journal of Catten Ubalmafol

"Things have been difficult in training recently. I've been getting to know my squadmates well, and am really starting to see why people actually converse.

Sparring is difficult, yet entertaining. Nothing else worth mentioning has happened; although Derm the Soulchopper has been getting a mighty ego (and he talks on and on about how he is awesome how he "is thread", which doesn't make any sense). There has been scrutiny that Derm is too powerful (from, shocker, Syntic)

Rumors have gone around (in Derm's circles) that Syntic is insane. Rumors around him say that Derm is insane....

Either way, an enmity seems to have formed between the two dwarfs, and I find it rather immature. Derm is strong, yes, and he has the loyalty of half the army, yes, but he is loyal to Cog.

On another note, there have been some traitors placed in prison. The same traitors that sabotaged the supplies with water only a few months past.

On that note, a new prison was built.

It has an entrance thats accessable to the caverns. Now, it is covered in traps, but I personally think that it is too large a security risk to remain unprotected. I personally think that a drawbridge should be installed to be left down during normal hours, but, should a forgotten beast arise, be lifted to protect the entrance to our fortress. Maybe a drawbridge not between the prison and the caverns, but between the prison and us, leaving danger for the prisons...

Either way, I feel somewhat less safe now.

Continuing upon chronicling the construction, magma has flooded the moat circling the bottom of the entrance hall. It is truly a sight to marvel upon.

With all these constructions, the crown is worried, methinks. They've already sabotaged our stocks. What move will they make next?

With this note, I end the year in hope that the new one will bring fortune for us all. Time to hit the new years party."
Meowth! That's right!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2010, 10:05:15 pm »

although Derm the Soulchopper has been getting a mighty ego (and he talks on and on about how he is awesome how he "is thread", which doesn't make any sense).

Hey, if people agree...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2010, 12:02:13 am »

Journal of Syntic:

A number of dwarfs have been requesting custom statues lately, and while it makes no difference to me if someone wants a statue of themselves or of a hero of theirs I'm a bit worried when I look around the fortress and can't find a single stock pile of all the statues that have been made but do not meet various requirements. I can't help but wonder where all the extra statues go, though it's more of just a curiosity than any sort of worry. With me running around doing so many projects all the time, I could have walked right past it and not even noticed. Or perhaps cog has a special spot away from public traffic that he keeps them in. I wonder if this fortress has a hidden tunnel that goes to warehouse 23 that they are stored in.

On a different note, I've been hearing some people think I'm crazy. Personally I'm fine with those rumors, as I am fully aware of my mental faculties. What I am more concerned about is people think that I think Derm is crazy. That's utter nonsense, I don't think he's crazy, I worry what will happen if he goes crazy. It's no big secret that sometimes the mind of a dwarf snaps from stress with those constantly in the line of danger or closely related to those in the line of danger being the most vulnerable. With everyone training hard, I'm not all that worried but I can easily imagine a forgotten beast coming up from the caverns that can not be killed by normal means. What then? When members of the military try to hold it back from the rest of the fortress? I've heard tales of full fortresses going into chaos after such an attack. People are first killed, then those closest to the people that died go into a depression and end up going insane and murdering whom ever they can get to.

Ah anyways though, I'm not to worried about such matters. I've been keeping an I on other matters, mainly concerning the matter with the sabotage. Either we got worst of the trouble makers already and they are in the dungeon now thinking of their actions, or the true trouble makers had only used these ones as fall guys and are waiting to act again until they can be sure they won't get caught. As I can't be sure either way, what I will be doing is taking down a copy of the drawings cog made of the dining hall to each of the prisoners to look over. I suspect that some of them have spent so much time crafting that they have hardly even seen great works that Cog has been having us all work on. I suspect if they felt more invested in the project that they wouldn't be trying to sabotage it. As is the only investment I believe they have is in the pocket books of Cog's detractors back home.

To change topics fully though, as I grow tired of writing about traitors and crazy people, I'm now a bit curious about Cog's water project. I seem to recall rumors that a new project would be started in the not to distant future that we would bring water up from the caverns, as the murky pools were hardly meeting our water requirements. I'm curious what Cog has planned for that, or if he's even had time to make any plans yet. While I enjoy watching the flow of magma over water, I'm wondering if his over arching plans for the surface leave room for perhaps a pond and a river. If we have enough room for a lake, it might even be interesting to make a boat. Of course as dwarfs have no talent for getting boats to actually be able to travel, we could just use the boat as a tavern. Perhaps the tavern could even be geared towards elves enjoying it.

Would be a shame of course if the boat got flooded while any visiting guests were on board though.

ooc: Idea I'm sure you have a place picked out for the real trade depot once the fortress looks more like an awesome fortress and not a camp working on an awesome fortress... but I was thinking it might be interesting to make a boat with a trade depot on it that wagons couldn't reach. As it would be near the surface caravans would want to visit it before the real one. Of course as wagon's couldn't reach it, the only ones that would use it would be elves while everyone else went to the real one. You could then set up a couple of pumps to flood the part of the boat that the depot takes up, not saying you would have to use it, but it would be amusing I think to have the option. The rest of the boat could be turned into a dining hall, but where the only near by food stockpile would be just drinks. Heck thinking about the mechanics needed to flood the depot you wouldn't even need pumps really, just have the depot be below deck and a flood gate that when open lets water flow in. Then you could have a pump up top that would be the boat's bilge pump.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2010, 10:30:29 am »

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Granite, 310

Since one of the mining crews is between jobs while the engravers work, I’m getting them to carve out the first batch of extra large rooms. 

There will be about 20 large rooms like these overlooking the dining hall.  In most fortresses, these would go to the nobility.  Here, they’ll go to the most important contributors to our fortress.  I might keep one for myself as well; I’ll have to see once they’re done.  As usual these will be 2 floors high, so the carving has to be done in phases.

Also, I’ve assured my fellow dwarves that a pair of drawbridges to seal the caverns will be built as soon as possible.  I don’t feel any more secure than them with things the way they are currently.  I should also note that Urist Imiknorris’ room is not among these ones unless she wants to forgo the magma.  I doubt that will happen so I’ll continue pondering a different location.

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Granite, 310

The final green glass blocks have come off the line for the moment.  We have enough to finish the roof now.  I also gave the orders to excavate the ground floor of the dining hall today.   There’s still lots to do but the end is getting easier to see. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Granite, 310

Today is worthy of note.  Apparently Vucar and Amsel are parents to 10 children as of today.  I’ve been rather remiss in not noting several recent births, but this is a particularly impressive achievement as our fortress is only 8 years old!  They’ve steadily have 1 child per year since they arrived. 

With the absence of migrants in recent years, the children in our fortress will be the best hope for the continued growth of Towersoared.  There are 21 children running around the fortress now. 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Slate, 310

Well with so many children, I suppose it was bound to happen.  Vucar and Amsel’s second daughter Mebzuth was wandering through a craftdwarf workshop and suddenly grabbed the tools and went off in search of materials.  I hope she doesn’t want any shell, we still haven’t gotten our hands on any after all these years. 

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Slate, 310

This human figures regularly in our engravings and statue carvings.  Apparently Mebzuth found it inspiring as well. 

It’s a pretty legendary creation and I think Mebzuth has sealed her fate as a stonecrafter when she grows up.  I’m going to have to look into the books of lore floating around here and see if I can find out something more about this person. 

Speaking of statues, and masonry work, I was recently asked by Syntic where all the materials being produced by our talented masons were going.  I had to sheepishly admit that most of it was being stored at the workshops.  The clutter is getting out of control which is slowing down production.   I really should spare some mining time to create storage.  On the other hand, I'm planning on migrating the masonry workshops down to the dining hall soon to start processing the vast quantities of stone down there so the problem will solve itself to some extent.  Still, more storage is going to be necessary sooner rather than later. 

He also mentioned an interesting idea about a lake and a ship.  I’m not sure if there’s room in the fortress design for an idea like this or not but the idea of a lake in the middle of the desert does have a certain appeal to me. 

OOC: 

@Tuxman: Catten is doing just fine at training.  She’s up to a dabbling sworddwarf already.

@Syntic: Yeah, I don’t have nearly enough furniture storage space.  Storing most of the goods at the masonary shops has saved a great deal of time.  I’m going to be changing that in the future though.  On the note about the alternate trade depot, I haven’t even seen wagons in the new version so I’m not sure if the Elf redirecting system will actually work right now.  I'll keep the idea in mind for someday in the distant future!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2010, 10:44:12 am »

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Felsite, 310

Uh oh, a forgotten beast has arrived. 

Composed of green glass too.  I wonder if rumors about the dining hall attracted it. 

I’ve heard legends about beasts that shed dust.  It can be quite deadly, no surprise.  In fact, I’ve heard that it can effectively rot the limbs away of anyone who is exposed to it.  As such, I’m ordering some masons down to the caves to seal them off before the beast arrives.  If we’re lucky, that will give us some time to set a proper trap for this beast without risking our military. 

I’ve still dispatched the Axedwarves and Marksdwarves down to the depths in case the monster moves faster than our masons. 

Cog’s Journal, 23rd of Felsite, 310

Fortunately, we managed to seal up the caves for the moment which will keep us safe while we prepare a surprise or two for it.  It apparently settled down in a pond near where our jail is located.  It’s quite lucky for the criminals that they were all released recently.  I think I can arrange a surprise. 

Oh, on another not, the Elves arrived and promptly got ambushed by two squads of goblins.  I’ve dispatched the hammerdwarf squad to clean things up since Derm and his squad are still walking back from the depths.  I don’t expect the Elves will stick around this year. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Felsite, 310

Unbelievable!

I don’t know how one dwarf can continuously have such bad luck.  Fighting the goblins on the hillside was apparently a bad idea.  Shorast dodged off the edge of a slope and was injured in the fall.  Hopefully the doctors will be able to stitch him back together for a fourth time. 

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Hematite, 310

With a loud rumble that could be heard throughout the fortress, Zanor the forgotten beast was killed from the impact of a large section of cavern ceiling today.  I prefer not to deny our military their chance for honor but in this case the risk of direct military action was far higher than I was willing to pay. 

The seal is being removed immediately and I’m beginning design work to finally get our first drawbridge in place to seal the fortress. 

OOC: Yeah, rotting my military away isn’t on the list here if I could prevent it.  I did a quick suicide run test to see how dangerous the dust is.  It rots away anyone who is touched by it.  I’m not going to waste dwarven lives on suicide like this unless I have no choice.   Fortunate that my masons got on the job fast. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:24:03 am by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 118