Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293695 times)

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2010, 12:15:05 am »

Events in relation to Catten Ubalmafol

Catten stared into space, mug in hand. She had had petty talk with some of the dwarfs passing in and out, but everyone was somewhat distanced from her.

She looked into her mug. The purple grog inside swirled around. It was pretty good, considering she hadn't tasted it in a long time.

She heard a clang. That must be the siege. Ever since the millitary continued its training sieges were becoming less and less of an issue. It was something to be admired... and feared. Syntic, a dwarf she met this morning, was especially concerned by Derm's (a professional axedwarf) daunting skill at dispatching enemies.

She could join the military, yes. Cog had mentioned to her that they required more recruits. She could also try her hand at something else, perhaps armorsmithing. They needed recruits however.

Catten's muscles were quite developed. She wouldn't have too hard a time doing everything.

It was decided then. She would volunteer to the military.

((so yeah, Catten is volunteering to become the captain of the squad))
Meowth! That's right!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2010, 12:23:26 am »

DERM IS THREAD.

I FEEL SO ALIVE!

Do we have a 2nd cavern layer?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:25:30 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »

DERM IS FORUM.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2010, 05:54:31 pm »

DERM IS CREDIT TO MILITARY!
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »

DERM IS OMGWTFBBQ.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2010, 11:14:47 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 29th of Felsite, 309

Syntic came by with an unexpected concern about the dining hall intersecting the caverns.  I immediately went back to double check and it turned out the numbering on the pages of the information I posted in the dining hall wasn’t clear.  It looked like there were only a few floors between our dining hall and the caves when in fact there are actually 23 floors left.  It’s an honest mistake, especially since Syntic’s quest for work hasn’t ever taken him down to the caves. 

His other suggestion was a far greater concern.  Honestly, things have been so quiet these past few years with no immigrants and no comments from the nobility back home.  I haven’t really given the future much thought since I’ve been so engrossed in the rapid progress on all these projects.  I’m a bit worried now that I think about it.  I wonder why we haven’t seen any migrants in past years. 

Syntics suggestion regarding creating a jail is a valid one although I don’t think I want to banish any of our military to the task of guarding prisoners of any sort.  I told him I’d take his suggestion seriously and see what I could come up with.  Of course, I’ve never been one to stop at a simple idea when I could take it and run a few miles.  I’ve got an interesting idea that involves magma and the caverns that Syntic might just approve of. 

I think I’d better answer the call of my drafting table.  At this rate I’m going to need a second office just to store all this information. 

Cog’s Journal, 29th of Felsite, 309

The chief medical dwarf came to see me today.  Apparently he would prefer to go by the human name “Michael” from now on.  I’m fine with this, if a little puzzled.  I took a few moments to review his skill to ensure he’s still the best dwarf for the job. 

The only complaint I’ve heard about his work to date is that he’s sometimes a bit slow to get to patients.  At least he does good work once he gets around to it.  According to Michael, Shorast is apparently a nightmare of a patient.  First he wouldn’t sit still until we killed off the Axedwarf he had been fighting when injured.  Apparently he heard mutterings that the thing was still alive. 

But even after we killed it, he wouldn’t let any doctors nearby, insisting he was fine despite his fractured foot and punctured lung.  He actually took a swing at the doctors when they suggested he settled down.  Today I had special orders made up for our butcher to haul him to the butchery with the instructions that if he wants to get back on duty fast he can either do it with the doctors help or as a pile of bolts built by Martini. 

He got the message and settled down to rest.  No I wouldn't to that to any dwarf here, stop looking at me like that. 

(OOC): Of course I’ve capped the immigration but I expect there may be something more sinister going on back at mountainhome.  Hard to say if it will ever impact the local fort.  As for Shorast, I got caught by the caged opponent bug.  Temporarily setting him for slaughter in Runesmith caused our butcher to haul him out of the hospital which reset him back to resting.  Then he was just carried back to the hospital. 

@Syntic: I left out 23 levels between the lowest current floor of the dining hall and the top of the cave since there isn’t anything on those levels yet.  It’s a tricky illusion due to the way export works.

@breadbocks: Multi colored gem windows are synchronized when you install them?  Are the frames controlled by the order you install the gems?  I don’t think I’ll be doing that in the dining hall even if it is possible but it’s certainly something I’ll consider for the future after I do a few tests.  I wonder what could be put together with only three frames of animation. 

@bayar: Certainly.  As you can see above I’ve renamed our chief medical dwarf and he’s now in your hands.  He’s usually a bit slow due to the remaining bugs in the medical system but no dwarf has died in his care so far.

@Tuxman: Sounds good.  It’s taken a bit of time to organize but her squad will be up and running shortly.  I’ve got steel weapons and armor already in the works for her squad.

@All: Lol, Derm is indeed a mighty warrior!  I credit his absolute devotion to his training, he never takes any time off even when given the choice. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2010, 11:54:02 pm »

Derm Issues mandate: Cinnabar and Clear Glass Statue in room.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2010, 02:26:50 am »

Derm Issues mandate: Cinnabar and Clear Glass Statue in room.

Of himself or of something he has slain?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:13 am »

Cinnabar enemy, clear glass Derm?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:18 am »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 22nd Hematite, 309

Today I heard mutterings that Syntic should really be an engraver considering how much work he’s been doing in that area lately.  On the other hand, he’s been spotted all over the fortress.  As always.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It’s not really all that important.  At least he’s helping put the finishing touches on the barracks for our newest military squad.  I’ll be activating them shortly as soon as their weapons are done. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th Hematite, 309

Congratulations to Catten for her promotion to chief of the new Sworddwarf Squad.  Her squad is going by the name The Bronze Magics, which I quite like.  I’m certainly glad to see her back to normal and I hope she’s happy with her squadmates.  Her four squadmates are dwarves from the hauling corps who have small amounts of fighting experience.  They start training on the first of Malachite. 

On another note, Derm came by my office today with a request.  He would like a cinnabar statue of an enemy and a clear glass statue of himself in his room.  Days like this I wish I could commission specific carvings from my fellow dwarves!  I told him I would get some dwarves to work right away.  At least the other statues won’t go to waste. 

Events of the 17th of Malachite, 309 – Late Evening

Worm was working away quietly in the fields in the early evening.  He was planting the next season’s crop of quarry bushes.  Worm preferred working at night when there were fewer dwarves around asking for specialty drinks.  He was feeling even more secure now that the pond next to the fields had been sealed over.  Hard to believe so many years had past, and he was still successful at staying out of trouble in this place. 

His cheerful thoughts were interrupted by a sudden creaking noise from the floodgate that was holding the pond back.  With a sudden snap, the floodgate gave way, sending a surge of blood filled, murky water into the room!  He yelled in surprise and ran for the door.  As he ran out the door he paused to close the doors to prevent the water from flooding the rest of the local fortress.  Instead the door sagged on its hinges and fell over.

Water gushed out into the corridor.  As he ran past, he noticed that the mechanisms that controlled the floodgate were completely trashed as if someone had taken a hammer to it.  Whoever did this had waited patiently until the pond would no longer refill from rains.  All that remained of the accessible water supply was now in the well shaft or spreading out into the hallways by the farm. 

As he ran down the corridor, he noticed that several workshops were in ruins, and the goods from those shops were scattered around the room.  The still and the kitchen were also in ruins.  Many of the products were damaged or destroyed.   Someone had been very quiet and efficient about this.  Cog was not going to be pleased.  Worm sighed.  Cog had been pretty happy of late, the loss of so much material was going to send him through the roof of the dining hall. 

OOC: Oops!   

@dermonster: I’ll see what I can do.  Might take a while, especially with the recent disaster but I’ll post them once the masons and glassmakers are successful at meeting your mandate.  Oh and to answer your question, there should be two more cavern layers down below.  I’ll look into locating them in the near future. 

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2010, 12:51:30 pm »

OOC: What did you do? Set the evaporation levels of something to clear up extra stone to only find out that the farm's flood gate and door had been made from that material?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2010, 01:06:09 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 7th Galena, 309

Sabotage!  Pure and simple, and extremely thorough.  I can’t believe those sniveling bastards back in the mountain homes would resort to this.  This is simply mad, I’m not a politician, I’m an architect.  All I want to do is build a place my fellow dwarves can be proud to call home. 

Not a single industry has avoided being hit by whoever is responsible.  It’s been days of constant work to clean up the mess and get our industries back up and running properly.  Most of the buildings that were destroyed were built out of simple stone.  I’m going to have them rebuilt out of solid blocks.  Also, the water has finally dried up in the hallway by the farm, I’ll be asked for volunteers to help clean it up. 

The worst damage was to our woodworking shop where most of the new beds waiting to be installed in a new row of bedrooms were damaged beyond usability.  Also a large number of bags were ripped opened at a couple of the glass workshops.  Our bag supply is quite low now which will seriously slow down the gathering of sand for glass manufacturing. 

The hard part now is figuring out who might be loyal and who isn’t.  I can’t imagine who would resort to such vandalism.  Honestly, I don’t know who I could trust at this point.  All I can really do is continue the work and hope for the best.  But I’ll be keeping an eye out. 

Now I’m off to design a new trade depot.  Our saboteur destroyed that as well. 

Events of the 11th of Galena, 309

Catten Kolesis the Axedwarf was busily cleaning all the blood that had been spread around by the flood.  While it wasn’t a job she normally took care of, it was the least she could do for the farmers who spent so much time producing food for her and her fellow military members.  The majority of the blood was from a couple of vultures had flopped into the pond when they were killed by the marksdwarves several seasons ago. 

But as she continued cleaning he reached a spot that was a bit different.  The wall was covered in a white paste. 

It was from Xest, the only true monster to haunt the caves below.  She staggered back in shock.  How could this have gotten here?  She was watching in the caves when Derm the Soulchopper destroyed the best.  She looked closer at the wall.  There was writing on the wall, something in a horrible language she didn’t recognize.  Then letters seemed to lift out of the blood and burn into her mind.  With a scream of terror she ran off down the hallway, not knowing where her legs were taking her. 

Events of the 14th of Galena, 309

Rogue was up in the future entrance hall busily mining away with her fellow miner Kivish.  The project was coming along nicely and matched up nicely with their breaks from the spiral stairway project while the engravers did their jobs.  She quickly took three swipes at a particularly recalcitrant section of rock when she heard a rumbling sound. 

Kivish was suddenly engulfed in a cloud of dust as an unstable section of rock collapsed.  Rogue dove back up the hall to avoid the expanding could of dust.  She choked as she tried to call to him.  Then the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end as she heard an agonized scream out in the dome.  Then it was abruptly cut off and the room went silent.

In a panic she crawled to the edge of the excavation site to look.  As the dust cleared, she spotted Kivish’s broken body 12 floors below among the rocks.  His still body was rapidly collecting dust and he was as still as the grave.  There was no way he could possibly have survived such a fall.  But then, amazingly, she saw him begin to move.  Slowly he began dragging his broken body towards the spiral ramp.  But he kept falling unconscious as he moved.

Rogue pulled herself to her feet and began running down through the mineshafts to find help.

OOC: I can't believe he survived that fall!  11 floors from where he was digging to where he landed.   

@ Syntic: Yeah, that’s exactly right.  I had over 10,000 loose slate in the fortress and I thought I had replaced all the stuff made out of slate so I set it to evaporate.  Not only had I missed a few things, but the damage was also extensive.  Apparently gaseous rock isn’t all that good for cloth and wood items.  It works well with the story though. 

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:57 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I can't believe this, we haven't received any new migrants in some time, yet someone has chosen now of all times to begin sabotaging Cog's great works. I can easily tell why they held off until now, as everyone that's lived here has lived here for some time. It won't be apparent who it could have been, and worse yet I suspect that they might have not be acting alone. I suspect it is a group of individuals that have trickled in gradually through each migration wave until they got all their players in place.

Though what I don't understand still is why now? Why not a month from now or a month earlier? I think I'll talk to Cog about getting an Inquisition put together to ferret out these misanthropes. Though not in his office, as I suspect that who ever these saboteurs are that they have access to a room near his office that is allowing them to hear conversations that he partakes in.

Notes for Inquisition Proposition:
1) An inquisition should be formed ((ooc: guard force specifically for crime and punishment, untrained in combat)).
2) The inquisition should be small, perhaps only four dwarfs counting the leader. I think I'll volunteer to lead it as the Grand Inquisitor, and suggest that the other two be younger dwarfs. (note: Young dwarfs are less likely to care about politics back home, and will be more interested in seeing that Cog's projects are completed).
3) If he agrees to this idea, then the Inquisition should have matching uniforms cloth uniforms to be worn on and off duty. This would send everyone the message that even if we are not asking questions in an official capacity that we are still watching.
4) As a first order of business for the Inquisition, we would examine the near by rooms to Cog's office and see if any have cracks that would allow someone to eves drop on his conversations. If we find such a room, then we should make arrangements to have Cog's Office relocated to a more secure location.

OOC: I'm not sure how the guard works that would be in charge of prisoners and keeping law and order, and how it differs from the military. Honestly the whole military system confuses me. What I do know though is that there can be uniforms, and that dwarfs that are dealing with law and order would still have plenty of time to do other things as they wouldn't be spending all their time training like the actual military. At least that's what I think. I could be fully wrong.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »

Reports of Michael Theateryawn, Medical Dwarf:

Well, Shorast finally calmed down. This hammerdwarf seems too eager to get his body mangled. At this rate, he will not survive for many seasons. Hopefully he'll learn to be more cautious on the battlefield next time. Heard some dwarfs talking about a cave collapsing. Hopefully, the possible injured are still countious enough to tell me what ailes them. Although I can probably patch up a brain back together or put a bandage over a nasty cut, diagnostics were not really my speciality (and I quite fear the possibility of commiting malpractice by treating an inexisting broken leg while ignoring a bleeding pancreas or something).

OOC:Can you post a picture of the Towersoared hospital ?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 118