Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293684 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »

what?

Yu-Gi-Oh abridged.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2010, 02:02:19 pm »

Wow. What level of legendary axedwarf is Derm at now? Use Runesmith.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2010, 02:10:47 pm »

what?

Yu-Gi-Oh abridged.

it is originally from the movie Contact.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:12 pm »

Cogs Journal, 28th of Obsidian, 308

Another year has come to a close.  The excavation projects are getting to the point where victory can be tasted!  This year’s architectural drawings are a site to behold.  The dining hall is still at least a year out, but we’re so very close.  While the engravers have been working, I’ve had the miners from the stairwell carving out several more floors of bedrooms.  Rogue is in the lead of that crew. 

This year’s ledger was pretty impressive as well although things didn’t move up quite as quickly as they did last year.  Our crafts dwarves will have their work cut out this year. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That’s all for this year, on with the party!

OOC: Another year done.  The dining hall is coming together so fast now! 

@riversand: Kezan shouldn’t worry too terribly much about the weapon count, most of them are going to be at least exceptional quality thanks to our three legendary glassmakers! 

@dermonster: Derm could use an epic poem or two.  Until dwarves learn to write, he’ll just have to settle for statues and engravings commemorating his various victories. 

@breadbocks: Let’s see then.  Assuming level 16 is legendary by the standards of Runesmith, Derm is a legendary +14 axedwarf and a legendary +20 fighter.  He’s also a grand master shield user.  This explains a great deal.  Strangely enough, he’s only a skilled armor user!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2010, 03:40:02 pm »

Interesting. The armor thing can be explained in that he never gets hit.

EDIT: Also, if you wouldn't mind me me giving another megaproject idea, perhaps you should make a gem-window animation? Perhaps of Derm's manliness?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:52:23 pm by breadbocks »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:47 pm »

Holy shit. Haven't read the thread for a while, came back to find Derm surpass every adventurer ever.

Have a theme song. The poetry will have to wait.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I listened to everyone tell stories of the great Derm today while I was eating my lunch. It seems that not a battle goes by where he is not leading the charge, cutting great beasts and armies apart with equal ease. But something worries me and send a chill right to my bones the more I hear of Derm's battle powers. First, what should happen should Derm be struck with a thirst to claim power, and desire to take control of this fortress for his own. Who would have the might or tactics to stop him? I shudder to think of the civil war we would encounter should Derm and Cog face off against each other. There I think would be five types of dwarf should this happen, those loyal to Cog, those loyal with Derm, those that fear Derm, those caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and those with the sense to lock themselves in their rooms until the matter was resolved.

The other fear that I have is what should happen if we are attacked from above and below at the same time? Derm while I am sure would have no problem defending one area all by himself, I fear that where ever he was not might not fair so well. Or what if something stupid happens and Derm is struck ill right before a siege and is unable to lend his strength to any sort of battle. Is the rest of the army up to defending our fortress without the aid of Derm leading them?

Worse yet, what if me going to Cog with my concerns sets off a chain of events that ultimately leads to the civil war that I actually fear. The army needs to go into battle without Derm so they might gain trust in their own abilities, but at the same doing so might cause Derm to believe that Cog no longer trusts him. The only think I can think of is to manufacture some sort of event and threat. The event would keep Derm occupied from actually going to protect us all from the threat, thus leaving the rest of the army to go forth without their fearless leader.

ooc: What I'm actually worried about is Derm going insane and deciding to go on a killing rampage. But in as a roll player, I can easily imagine a number of the army guard being loyal to Derm and Derm deciding to institute martial law.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2010, 09:31:41 pm »

This is the first time I have ever been associated with the word badass.

Though soloing two giants, a forgotten beast, a GCS, and an entire goblin siege will do that to a guy XD

I'm fine with any story plot as long as I come out alive and kicking ass.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »

Events in relation to Catten Ubalmafol:

Warning: Dwarf Angst

((Yeah, can you remove the mining profession and let her simmer for a while? Don't really care what profession you give her (or just let her be a slacker) but she is back to sanity, in a somewhat less cynical way.))
Meowth! That's right!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2010, 08:41:59 pm »

This is an amazing project. That dining hall is something worth stealing an inspiration for my next fortress.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12:04 pm »

Cogs Journal, 11th of Granite, 309

A troglodyte attempted to enter our fortress from the caves today.  It quickly stumbled into the cage traps but it managed to kill a pet dog belonging to a hauler clearing out the space for weapon traps.  This just illustrates the potential dangers of the caves and increases the urgency of getting our defenses in place.  The first batch of green glass axe blades is being completed as I write this. 

Oh and on another note, Catten came by my office and turned in her pick today.  Suprisingly, she seems totally sane now.  She said that she was tired of digging out rock constantly.  She’s going to take a break for a while which I’m fine with considering her tireless effort over the past years, not to mention wanting to avoid shattering her sudden return to sanity. 

Maybe in a few months time I’ll inquire if she wants to go back to armorsmithing or if she wants to try her hand at a new trade. 

Cogs Journal, 15th of Granite, 309

Syntic came by my office to discuss his concerns about Derm the Soulchopper.  Honestly, I’m not concerned about him wanting to take control of the fortress.  He has yet to show any interest in taking charge of things.  The possibility of him going insane is a risk all of us run here, I just hope the other military members would be will and able to take care of things if the worst happens. 

Syntic’s other comment about the possibility of multiple attacks from the caves and the surface is fair.  Even more so if we find more caverns deeper down.  Right now, when a siege arrives the entire military is committed to defending us.  I believe there are two things that need to happen in the near future.  First, I need to get another new squad of military dwarves into training.  I believe I’ll go with swords this time.  I’m not sure where I’ll get the spare dwarves from though, everyone is pretty constantly busy. 

Secondly, I’m going to get the 5 hauling squads started training as a militia.  2 - 3 times per year, each group of haulers will spend a month in military training.  I’d also like to establish an exercise facility to help them improve their strength when they don’t have any hauling jobs to do.  I hope helped alleviate Syntics concerns when I explained the plans. 

Syntic went out of his way to leave my office in a hurry when I asked what hauling work he’s been doing of late.  Apparently he’s been even more underfoot than usual lately. 

Cogs Journal, 21st of Granite, 309

Today I laid out most of the final foundation plans for the area surrounding our glassworks.  This should keep our haulers busy while the glassmakers produce the last blocks needed to complete the dining hall ceiling. 

I also had to adjust the entrance plans slightly when I realized my original measurements were off a bit.  Fortunately I have space to spare to adjust the layout.  It’ll just be a bit more mining to expose the entrance tower foundations. 

Cogs Journal, 20th of Slate, 309

One of our haulers started babbling like a madman and dashed off towards the fortress.  Let’s hope it’s not a psychotic break. 

Cogs Journal, 3rd of Felsite, 309

Apparently it wasn’t a psychotic break.  Besmar informed me that he was possessed by something that really wanted him to make a splint:

Go figure. 

Cogs Journal, 18th of Felsite, 309

The Elven caravan has arrived.  They came over the mountains so they have quite a long walk to get to our fortress.  Apparently they’ve sent a diplomat as well.  Joy. 

Cogs Journal, 19th of Felsite, 309

Hmmm.  Sucks to be the Elven merchants. 

I’ve dispatched the military but we’re sticking with the usual strategy.  I’m not sending my forces out to save the merchants.  Actually, they might be ok; there don’t seem to be any goblins approaching from the route the Elves arrived. 

OOC: Siege report coming at some point soon. 

@breadbocks: Sounds like a huge project, especially considering how many gems I’m going to need for the dining hall.  I’ve already ordered a massive quantity from the dwarven merchants to supplement the local supply.  But a pair of huge gem window murals is certainly in the cards.  I’m still working on the exact designs though. 

@Syntic: Those are both good points, I’m certainly hopeful it doesn’t come to Derm going insane.  Fortunately, while the hammer dwarves are lagging a bit in strength, the rest of the axedwarves are quite strong. 

@dermonster: From what I’ve seen, alive and chopping is far more likely! 

@Tuxman: I’ll let Catten chill without a profession for a few months so she can reconnect with the dwarves.  I can see three options for Catten at this point.  She could go back to armorsmithing, her other trained vocation, she could take up a completely new civilian job or she could enlist to start a new squad in our military. 

@dragonsharz: Thanks!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

Events of the  23rd of Felsite, 309

Derm the Soulchopper waited patiently by the gates with his fellow soldiers.  The instructions were pretty clear.  Don’t move out to protect the Elven caravan unless it’s a low risk target.  Granted, with his skills, a couple giants would be a low risk target but Derm understood the reasoning.  But it looked like the Elven caravan would make it with only seconds to spare. 

Not that it wouldn’t be nice to see the tree huggers chopped up by goblins; but Cog would be pleased to see the quantity of wood and booze the elves were carrying today. 

Derm smiled.  Regardless, now the fun would begin.  The first squad of goblins was isolated and approaching quickly.  He gave the signal to his fellow axedwarves to move forward through the gates.  And move forward they did, right into the unsuspected goblins squad.  It didn’t take the goblins squad long to break and flee for the gates.  Getting showered with pieces of your squad mates is pretty bad for morale after all. 

They quickly chased down the few survivors and then quickly made their way back through the gates just before the bulk of the army arrived.  Two of his squad mates were yawning.  “Get back to the fortress and get some sleep.  You’re no good to me like this!” The second squad was rapidly approaching the gates.  Despite his desire to charge in, Derm waited.  Once the enemy rounded the corner, the entire military would move into battle. 

The plan worked perfectly.  The enemy rounded the corner and the first couple hit the cage traps just as the military charged straight into the fray.  Axes started swinging and bolts started flying from the three marksdwarves.  The enemy quickly dissolved before them.  Unfortunately, Shorast the hammerdwarf was down again.  Privately, Derm was beginning to think of him as Shorast the Unlucky considering how often he got injured. 

When the third group of goblins arrived, Derm was still busy chasing down a stray troll.  Trolls were fairly easily frightened, but they also recovered quite quickly.  They also weren’t bright enough to leave when a siege was broken.  But he still managed to get back to the gates fast enough to take out a few more goblins. Like every other goblin and troll who darkened the gates of Towersoared, their fate was quite simple. 

“Back to the fortress for a well earned drink everyone!”  He paused with Shorast while several civilians came out from the fortress to recover him.  Derm shook his head.  “I’m not sure if you’re unlucky or lucky to have survived all these injuries.”  Then he followed as Shorast was carried inside. 

OOC: This poor hammerdwarf has the worst luck I’ve ever seen.  Honestly, he’s been bedridden from military injuries three times already.  The only worse batch of injuries he’s had in the past was when his skull was fractured a few years back.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:33 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

I've been looking over the most recent map that was posted in the current dining hall of the fortress and something struck me as a touch odd. I had to check multiple times, but it seems some of the caverns actually occupy the planned location for the Dining Halls south east corner. I had to then double check the original plans that Cog showed us for the Dining Hall to recall where he was planning on putting his channels, and I noticed some of the caverns will get in the way of those channels. I'm sure it's a simple matter of constructing walls and floors in the right spot, but I'm curious how he plans on handling the dangers of this portion. If we try to dig it out all at once and the build up the walls, that will leave us open to attack from who knows what. On the other hand, if we dig it out in sections and build the walls as we go we should be much safer but taking a whole lot more time.

Obviously the safe route would be best safety wise, but once we reach the ground floor of the dining hall there I think will be a number of factors in play. First we'll all be eager to see the project done and will want to move fast. That in of it's self is a good reason to keep moving slow and steady, but we might also have a number of new dwarfs by then. That means if enough of them are all put on the right chores then we could actually do it in one quick go.

Something that seems a bit unrelated to what I wrote above, but seems logically connected to me, is I am curious what Cog plans on doing about crime and punishment. As we near the completion of the Dining Hall, and with the main entrance underway, I suspect that the crown will if they haven't already send migrants with the intention of sabotaging work. Perhaps Cog might be willing to set up a jail in the near future, with a proper prison to be built once we have the dwarf power to start a new mega project. Perhaps some sort of triangle structure with a military barracks taking up one corner, a dwarven prison on the second, a prison for invaders in the third, and lastly an arena in the center of the triangle.

Though, if I take this idea to Cog, I should make sure he understands I'm not suggesting that all dwarf prisoners be sent to the arena, but I believe that if the possibility was there it would discourage sabotage. I likely won't even have to mention to Cog that I believe that the arena should be able to be flooded with magma should the contestants start to get out of hand, I'm fairly sure by now he knows I'm of the Magma political party. If one's problems don't go away after you pour magma on them, then clearly you did not pour enough magma.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2010, 04:12:28 pm »

@breadbocks: Sounds like a huge project, especially considering how many gems I’m going to need for the dining hall.  I’ve already ordered a massive quantity from the dwarven merchants to supplement the local supply.  But a pair of huge gem window murals is certainly in the cards.  I’m still working on the exact designs though. 

Not murals. Animations are when you use different colored gems in one window, so it will flip through the colors.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2010, 05:12:53 pm »

Nice fortress you got here. Do you, by any chance, got a medical dwarf up for claiming ? I'd claim him. Just name him Michael. :D
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 118