Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293651 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:20 pm »

I forgot to mention, on the pyramid, link up the chain to a lever. That way, the sacrifice can't escape the great Nightwing. But make sure to close the bridge at the top, or expect some Fun.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 01:09:36 pm »

Cogs Journal, 17th of Felsite, 305

Today I received word that the Elven caravan has arrived, along with what appears to be a diplomat.  Elven diplomats are notorious for making unreasonable demands about trees.  I don’t expect much else from this one.  It should be interesting to see how the meeting with Geshud Likostat our mayor goes.  She’s been extremely grumpy lately because she wants an Electrum cabinet in her dining room.  I keep telling her that we don’t have any electrum yet, so she’ll just have to be patient.  Apparently her patience is running out. 

Cogs Journal, 23th of Felsite, 305

Well that went better than I could have hoped, we are limited to merely chopping 113 trees this year.  As tempting as it was to tell them to go to hell, I think we can survive within those limits.  I think Geshud really wanted to wring her smug little neck though.  As if we’d abide by those restrictions if we had a real source of trees. 

On another note, our second military squad of Hammerdwarves starts its first month of training in a few days.  I think 3 units of 5 dwarves each should be pretty effective in the long run.  If I have too many haulers idling I may look into a third one sooner rather than later.  That way I can have a 3 squad rotation, one month training, one month on duty guarding works sites and one month off. 

Events of the 23th of Felsite, 305

Asmel the Mooch made his way up to the trade depot to haul some of the goods just obtained from the elves.  Although these elves apparently still brought copious amounts of rope reed cloth, they were somewhat useful.  He rounded the corner to find Ber the broker standing amongst the chaos.  The broker gestured to Asmel. 

“Excellent, you can haul one of these cages down to the animal storage!”  Ber pointed over to the corner behind Asmel.  He heard a growling sound.  Asmel looked over and saw a pair of black bears in cages.  Ber continued excitedly, “They actually brought a breeding pair in one load; I never thought I’d see the day!  We’ll be getting these two out of cages so they can stretch ASAP!” 

Asmel was already backing out of the room, “I’ll take care of it in a minute, I think I left a sock in the dining room!”  He then beat a hasty retreat. 

OOC: @Ochita: How does the cook listed above sound to you? 

@@Syntic: Good point, I hadn’t thought of that possibility.  Some of the stuff in there is pretty good quality.  That very well might be the explanation. 

@breadbocks: Sounds good.  I think I’ll set up a recapture system so I can re-chain the Nightwing after it feeds.  I’ve almost got enough marble blocks to get started, that’s the only rocks I’m allowing masons to use right now. 

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »

((Sounds good.))
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2010, 06:39:08 pm »

Or you could just perma-release him, and hope he doesn't get out. Also,  you could cage the edges, and have a ☼Steel Door☼ guard the only safe access.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:45 pm »

Cogs Journal, 16th of Hematite, 305

I don’t think I can kid myself any longer.  If there’s any source of water down in the depths we need to find it.  Not only do many of my projects call for water, but if another dwarf gets inspired to use shells, I want to be able to say I at least tried to find a source of shells.  I’ve got one of  the mining crews digging down right now since we’re finished another floor of the dining hall. 

Cogs Journal, 24th of Hematite, 305

They found caverns and there’s even water and trees in it!  I’m going to start off small, just a secure fishing hole to start.  I really hope there are fish! 

Events of the, 7th of Malachite, 305

This time when the screams for help began, Derm the Soulchopper was ready and on duty.  He quickly made his way towards the mines leading to the recently discovered caverns.   By the time he got down there, the bat had already killed one hauler and was rapidly hunting down a second one.  He charged in, axe at the ready and with one ferocious swing, chopped the bats arm off, followed quickly by severing its spine.  The bat fell to the ground twitching for a moment before finally expiring.

Events of the, 9th of Galena, 305

Before anyone had a chance to react, the Nightwing swooped out of the sky, knocking Rith Ostukerith the miner right off his feet.  As the other dwarves ran to get the military, the Nightwing dove right into it’s grizzly work.  Before he passed away, Rith managed to get one solid shot in on the body of the Nightwing. 

By the time the military arrived in the quarry it had retreated up into the sky.  But it was the inexperienced hammerdwarf squad that arrived in the quarry as the Nightwing dove back down at the quarry just as Ber the Broker stepped out to pick up the body of the fallen miner.  Before the hammerdwarves could react, the Nightwing dove in and broke the body of Ber, leaving him to bleed to death.  But before the Nightwing could escape the quarry, the hammerdwarves were on him and they quickly bludgeoned the Nightwing to death. 

(OOC): What a bad evening this was for dwarf deaths!  Three dead in one sitting.  Granted, I botched the handling of the second Nightwing really badly.  Still getting used to the military interface.  Fortunately, none of them were claimed dwarves but it’s still a pain.  Especially the broker, now I have to train up a new one. 

@breadbocks: That could work as well.  I’m still pondering the specifics of how this is going to work.  It’s going to take a bit of time to build as it is. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »

To celebrate your finding trees, why don't you make the prison part of the pyramid out of clear glass?

The bat fell to the ground twitching for a moment before finally expiring.

After playing Metroid Prime Trilogy for nine hours, I read that as "exploding."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2010, 11:51:25 pm »

Damn. You got your hand on a copy of that? I didn't, before it was canceled. I'm not sure that $65 for a perfect copy is worth it. Defiantly not worth $43 for a decidedly unpredictably functioning copy.

Back to the topic: I suppose a ☼Clear Glass Portal☼ could work.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »

Cogs Journal, 17th of Galena, 305

It has been a tragic and deadly few months here in Towersoared.  Sadly, some deaths are to be expected as our projects move forward.  Their sacrifice will not be forgotten.  On a lighter note, not only has the human caravan arrived, but it looks like there’s a diplomat or trader with them.  I really hope he’s a trader; it would be nice if we could actually order things!

Events of the 19th of Galena, 305

Minkot Voderith the blacksmith was settled down to sleep in his bedroom, pondering the future.  Cog was so focused on large buildings and excavations.  Why did he neglect the fine furniture and statues that could be produced out of metal?  Suddenly, an idea struck like lightning.  But it would have to be produced in secret.  Quietly, he made his way up to the forges . . .   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cogs Journal, 26th of Galena, 305

Bah, he wasn’t a trader, just a diplomat.  Apparently he just wanted to see what was going on here.  Apparently the human king didn’t believe the rumors of the excavation we’re working on here.  But still we don’t have any contact who we can order materials from.  At least they brought lots of goods this time.

On another note, apparently Minkot Voderith our blacksmith apparently had a stroke of inspiration.  He has apparently been secretly working on a project for the last week and built a stunning iron weapon rack. 

While he’s always been talented, this is particularly impressive.  I’m really looking forward to seeing how the gold and silver furniture I’m planning to commission for the dining hall will look now!

OOC: Always nice to have a legendary blacksmith in the house! 

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2010, 02:58:11 pm »

Hey, cool.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2010, 04:28:48 pm »

Events of the 17th of Timber, 305

Erush Ariden wiped her brow as she made her way across the hills towards Towersoared once again.  Maybe if she was lucky they had been wiped out by goblins this year.  She squinted and shielded her eyes against the sun and gazed down towards the yawning pit in the ground.

No such luck apparently.  A whole host of dwarves carrying stone were emerging from the fortress and heading out to a construction site.  What on earth were they working on now, the new project didn’t seem to have anything to do with the big pit in the ground. 

She wasn’t traveling with the caravan this year but she figured they’d be arriving at nearly the same time.  And as she gazed across the pit, she saw the caravan approaching, but there was panic in their movements. 

Suddenly she saw a spray of blood near the edge of the pit.  An ambush of goblins had popped out of hiding and started to attack the caravan.  The guards had already engaged the goblins and were fighting.  She picked up her pace, determined to reach the safety of the fortress. 

As she made her way down the hill, she realized there was a second squad of goblins moving in from the flank.  Crossbow bolts were flying everywhere; it seemed the two squads of goblins were well armed to take on the caravan.  It wasn’t looking good for the caravan.  The guards had been drawn out of position by the first ambush. 

And yet, against all odds, she saw one caravan guard lagging behind with the rest of the group.  He charged out at tore the second squad to shreds, dodging a dozen or more bolts on his way.  It looked like the traders might have all survived.  Slightly wounded, but still alive.  It looked like one or two caravan guards might not have been so lucky though. 

So much for inspecting the construction site this year, there was no doubt that the mayor would want to hear about this mess. 

OOC: That was a close one.  There was no way our squads were going to get there in time.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »

OOC: Awesome sauce. Don't forget the ramps to make a smooth pyramid, and the iron cornerstones. Don't forget the platinum stuff. And can you share the save? I want to look around. And two updates in a day is impressive. Check the last guard's name. It might have a title now. Also, you guys need to tell me if I'm getting out of character with my writing. Martini's voice is hard to hold.

Excerpts from the diary journal of Martini
Galena/Timber

Hey dudes, dudetts, and transgendudes. I've forgotten about you for a while, but don't sweat it. I've been eating at this (no-homo) FABULOUS dining room. I can't imagine how it could get any better than this. Anyways, a few more dudes have died, so we need a moment of silence to remember them..... The good news is that this metal dude went to sleep.... but then he was dreaming and he went woah, and he went all ninja, and kicked put this dude, but it was OK, 'cause then he was all like pow, and he made this awesome weapon rack. So now he gets to make some cool stuff. Then the traders came and some bad guy dudes ambushed our bros, but it was cool. Things got really EPIC when one dude, ONE DUDE, went all bam on an entire squad of greenskins!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 06:46:05 pm »

Wow, three deaths. I don't think I knew any of the guys. Perhaps I did, it's getting hard to tell with all the people here, but I'm just not thinking our defenses are good enough from air attack. That and the caravans are having a hard time getting here. I know we have enough stone, I wonder if the boss would be open to the idea of a group of walls being built to funnel the caravan to us, and to cover up the dig site from air attacks. Would also help keep the hot sun off our backs when all we are doing is moving stones from one spot to another. Looking at the (out-of-date) map of the dig site, it would be less than 240 stones to build a wall around the dig site, and a bit less than 2800 stones to build a roof over it. I know for a temporary structure that might seem like a whole lot of resources, but really for as much as we've dug out, it would at least help keep the place clean. Perhaps while I try to convince the boss that this is a good idea (that I could help build), I could also try to convince him that the last map put up in the dining hall could be updated, so none of the new dwarfs wander into the caverns because they wondered where that flight of stairs went.

((Speaking of out-of-date maps, I don't suppose you might be uploading a current update of the overall site to dfma any time soon?))

((EDIT ADD: WAIT THAT'S WHY THEY LOVE THE DINING HALL!! It's got the latest maps and plans you've posted of the epic project... the ones you've shared with everyone and aren't keeping locked away safe in  Cog's office. So all the dwarfs look at the plans and smile and say 'One day. One day soon.'))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:49:37 pm by Syntic »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2010, 01:14:21 pm »

Events of the 5th of Obsidian, 305

Erith Sigunesmul was just a simple Axedwarf.  Even when he arrived he didn’t have any skills to speak of.  Joining the military was a wonderful opportunity and he was now a highly skilled soldier waiting eagerly for the next goblin attack.  He was pretty content with his life as it was now.  Still, sometimes he had to wonder, what it would have been like to take a different road.  And thus his mind began to wander, and his feet began moving out of his control towards the nearest workshop . . .

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Obsidian, 305

Well that was an interesting month.  Erith one of our Axedwarves abruptly started foaming at the mouth and charged off to the nearest craftdwarf workshop.  As is often the case with moods like this, he began grabbing all manner of materials.  Today he came into the dining hall with a beautiful marble crown in hand. 

He said that he was exploring some alternatives to the path he took.  I’ve told him that there is now a workshop set aside for him to make crafts during his off duty time if he feels inclined.  All this wonderful art is great to see.  Good thing he didn’t want shells.  Apparently the lake below is completely devoid of life. 

Demand is also rising for a wall to protect our work site.  Since I plan to build walls outside anyhow, we might as well get the first phase in place.  I’ve just got to polish off these designs and get the masons going on stone blocks for the walls.  No sense in building it twice after all! 

Events of the 22nd of Obsidian, 305

Ironically, it was the mewing of a cat that gave the goblins away this time.  One of the fortress pets had wandered outside in search of a meal when it stumbled across a group of goblins skulking by the edge of the quarry.  The cat let out a loud hiss that was clearly audible in the quarry before the goblins tore it to shreds. 

Derm the Soulchopper was looking forward to this opportunity.  There would be no better chance to get both military squads out simultaneously.  A snatcher near the entrance was simply executed as the squad marched past his hiding spot.  A kobold thief also met the same fate.  Then the first ambush squad rounded the corner.  About half of them charged straight into traps, then the military made short work of the rest. 

They moved out to the front, and suddenly there was the clattering of crossbow bolts flying past them and into the stone behind them.  A second group of crossbow wielding goblins was slipping up from a different direction.  They were exposed but rather than getting under cover, Derm yelled “CHARGE!”  And so they did. 

Amazingly, nobody took any serious hit from the crossbow bolts.  The charge was ferocious and several of the crossbow goblins were knocked completely over by the assault.  The axes and hammers tore into the goblins, leaving none standing.  Only two hammerdwarves received minor wounds from the fights.

Spoiler: The Aftermath (click to show/hide)

OOC: @breadbocks: Not to worry, I’ve got all those details planned.  It just might take some time to finish since some other projects are going to have to take higher priority over the next while.  I’ll have to look into sharing the save, I’ll let you know when I post it.  Probably early next week. 

@Syntic: I agree about getting an expanded defensive wall outside, that’s a priority for the next year.  I’m actually going to start building the green glass roof of the dining hall in the next game year as well so there’s no reason to build a temporary structure.  Good suggestion though!  As for the map, I update it yearly at the very end of winter (28th of Obsidian) just before it turns over to the next year.  I’ll be posting a new map later tonight. 

Also, good point about the current dining hall, that might just be the reason they like it so much! 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2010, 08:33:48 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Obsidian, 305

And so another year passes into history.  Towersoared is slowly growing into the beautiful fortress I have envisioned, but there is still a long road to travel.  The greatest achievements are still ahead for all of us.  This year we begin work on the glass roof over the dining hall and on the preliminary defensive wall.  According to my calculations our glassmakers have already put together 730 green glass blocks.  They’re getting faster at building them. 

I don’t have any big announcements to make at the new years party this year, I’m just thrilled to see my visions begin to see reality.  Here are the latest architectural drawings of our fortress.  As you can see both the dining hall and the dome over the spiral stairway are coming along beautifully.  One last detail, here are the number for this years assessment.  The value of our fortress is moving steadily upwards. 

That’s all for now.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2010, 08:55:07 pm »

OOC: This may seem like an odd request, but I don't suppose we could get run downs of what the named dwarfs think about other named dwarfs or important relationships between even unnamed dwarfs. Would be interesting to see how everyone is getting along (or not as the case may be) and who's found the love of their life.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 118