Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293196 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #735 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »

I'll do it tomorrow afternoon if nobody beats me to it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:48 pm »

Actually, a list of already completed projects would be an ideal thing to put in Cog's speech for this years New Year's party, especially since no new projects will be starting in 317 with so much underway and half finished.  I'll include some Stonesense shots of the various projects as well.  At the current rate of play, the New Year update will be posted on Friday or Saturday after the one tomorrow. 

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 31, 2011, 07:08:36 am »

Awesome, can't wait to see the map then. :D

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 31, 2011, 07:21:57 am »

@bayar: I have no doubt Michael is bored.  Glad to see you’re around, I’ve done a dwarf revisit in this update including Michael.  Oh and Michael is actually a he!  There were two nearly identical medical dwarves and the nicknames got mixed up somehow way back. 

Yeah, too bad the Michael I started with was a she  :(

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 31, 2011, 10:29:11 am »

@bayar: I have no doubt Michael is bored.  Glad to see you’re around, I’ve done a dwarf revisit in this update including Michael.  Oh and Michael is actually a he!  There were two nearly identical medical dwarves and the nicknames got mixed up somehow way back. 

Yeah, too bad the Michael I started with was a she  :(

Facepalm.  My brain obviously doesn't work right so I owe you a big apology.  I went back and checked the original dwarf assigned to you and it was indeed the female dwarf.  I thought I had assigned you the male doctor and then for some reason moved the name over to the female doctor as a glitch.  Turns out I've got that backwards.  And apparently more than once now.  Plus, I don't remember moving the name back to the male doctor the second time. 

I'll just chalk this mistake up to paperwork errors.  The real Michael will be posted tonight with the rest of the update when I get home from work; so very sorry for the mistakes bayar.  :( 

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 31, 2011, 10:41:19 am »

Eh, don't worry about it ! Your efforts in creating the most awesome fort ever are not diminished by minuscule errors such as mistagging of a pseudo-sentient being in a computer game.  :D

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:54 am »

In fact, such things make it even worse.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2011, 11:09:30 am »

In fact, such things make it even worse.
Psssst
You misspelled "more awesomely badass"....
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 31, 2011, 01:14:37 pm »

Events of the 21st of Opal 316

Indri was cheerfully gathering webs in the second cave level, unconcerned by the absence of Thatdude the marksdwarf who had gone to get some much need rest.  But then out of the corner of his eye, he saw the plump helmets in the distance move.  Hmmm, that was odd.  Then Indri froze briefly as one of the plump helmets stood up and stretched to a full humanoid height and then immediately dropped back down into concealment. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It hadn’t seen him.  Indri finished up gathering the webs and then made his way back up into the fortress to weave the webs into thread.  Thatdude would take care of these critters, Indri was sure of that. 

The Book of Undertaker, 22nd of Opal 316

At last the dead can find their home here in Towersoared, just as the living.  Dwarves have bleed and died for the building of Towersoared and yet they find themselves in a rude home in a side room on the surface.  Pets have died and rotted; forgotten on the floors.  No more.  The dead shall reside in the depths, properly interred in a true tomb.  It shall be as the lord of the dead prescribes, carved in the forms of necessity and chaos. 

As with life, simplicity and order shall rule the beginning but it is the exception, not the rule.  I have need of other materials as well.  Coffins of marble for dwarves.  Statues.  Doors and engravings.  It shall be as it must; I will speak with the Chief Stoneworker and make the needs of the dead known.

Events of the 25th of Opal 316

Cog looked up to see his door opening.  The two fortress doctors came in.   Cog greeted them, “Michael, Mistem, what can I do for the two of you today?”  The two dwarves looked at each other in discomfort and then the male dwarf spoke.  “Actually, that’s what we’re her to talk to you about.  Her name is Michael, my name is Logem.” 

Cog looked at them in confusion for a moment and then walked over to the cabinet in the corner overflowing with documents.  He pulled out two folders and brought them back to his desk.  He looks them over with his brows furrowed and then looks up at the two dwarves.  “Are you telling me that I’ve had your names mixed up ever since you arrived in Towersoared?”

The two medical dwarves simply looked at him and nodded. 

“I’ll get that fixed right away.  So which of you is actually the chief medical dwarf?” 

Michael (the real one) raised her hand.  “I’ve been taking care of all the details.  Logem has been kind enough to pass misdirected requests over to me.”

Events of the 27th of Opal 316

Indri had idly muttered something about ambulatory plump helmets in the second cave level.  Given that Indri wasn’t prone to hallucinations, Thatdude decided it was worth a look.  She went down into the caves to have a look around.  Sure enough, right near the cave entrance were several humanoid creatures that looked like plants.  Plump Helmet men!  They were just milling about, not really doing anything.  She raised her crossbow and let loose a stream of bolts at the first one.

Bolt after bolt slammed into the creature, solidly lodging in its body.  But strangely, it hardly seemed to notice.  In fact, it just stood there dumbly looking at the bolts sticking out of it.  Its friends took no notice.  Thatdude emptied her quiver into the thing and then watched as it toppled over but still looked perfectly fine. 

With her quiver empty and the thing standing their stupidly, she stomped over and began started bashing it with her crossbow.  It just watched dumbly as she beat it to death.  Every hit of her crossbow sent parts flying. 

She looked over at the other two, standing there dumbly looking at her.  Well that was satisfying but ultimately a waste of bolts.  She headed upstairs to reload and to inform Derm that there were some targets in the cave for practice. 

OOC:  Or I could get my act together and post the first half of today’s update right now.  Two updates tomorrow to round out the year since I like putting the New Year update in a separate post.

@Urist Imiknorris: Not yet but there were plans for one.  Someday, somehow! 

@dermonster: Tis yours indeed!  Rounds out the badass look quite nicely.

@Syntic: Yeah, there was one being discused some distance back.  Also, there was going to be a mist generator above the spiral stairway but that isn't started yet anyhow.  I got a bit sidetracked.  I’ve already got the list started for the New Year post tomorrow.  Thanks for the idea!

@Scaraban: Not impossible, just very challenging.

@Triaxx2: You’re getting a lot of assistance on this project.  Cog is treating it as a prototype for other cave based defensive setups. 

@bayar: Glad to hear it.  I incorporated my mistakes into the story above, just because it works.  This is the real Michael.  I believe we will have no further problems with mixing up medical dwarves. 

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 31, 2011, 01:33:55 pm »

Indri's journal, 21st of Opal 316

So many things to carve into you, journal. First, get this, Urvad the Potash Maker made the best loincloth I've ever seen! It's breathtaking, even if you're not into that sort of outfit. They're a bit drafty for my tastes but I've heard it gets really hot down in the forges. Anyway, Cog let me know that if I wanted I could have Urvad working with me when Urvad wanted a break from potash making. Boy would I! Not only would it give me more time for gathering and spinning and weaving but think of the things I could learn working with someone this good, who made that loincloth, as a hobby! I'm going to tell Cog, 'YES PLEASE'!

The second cool thing was that I saw plump helmets walking around in the second cavern level. Walking! And I wasn't even chewing that blue lichen you can find on the rocks down there. Really walking! The caverns are so cool. I told ThatDude about them in case she decided she wanted to take a look at them too.

Okay, got to go. Write in you later.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 31, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »

can i have an speardwarf named:Ahra?(preferably male)
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:03 pm »

Kezan's Journal 22st of Opal 316

I heard talk of someone seeing walking plump helmets, cavern monstrosities. they shouldn't walk.  This is why i do not like the depths that are not carved by dwarven hands. The eyes of the evil beasts are everywhere...
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 31, 2011, 06:29:22 pm »

List of all project suggestions (and suggestors) so far:

pwnzerfaust - water reactor Done
breadbocks - white stone pyramid w/iron block edges for holding the Nightwing and possibly feeding it prisoners Done
Syntic - mist generator in center of spiral stairway
Syntic - magma-floodable entrance road/magmafall
Riversand - cavern airlock/trap corridor Done (3x), but using a different design
Urist Imiknorris - bedroom w/ magma heating and self-made stone furnishings Done
dragonshardz - entrance skylight w/ metal lining
breadbocks - outdoor waterfall down the mountain
TinReaper - outdoor magmafall down the mountain
breadbocks - both water and magma at the same time
Comp112 - life as a cavern hermit In Progress/Done
dermonster - giant leisure room with Akmeshitat patterned on the floor (preferably with bridges)
Any chance of some sort of Doom Spire® carved out of the small outcropping in the mountain just south of the entrance?

Can i get a room up there? on DFMA its level 176
dermonster - swimming pool (generated some conversation, including dwarf-shower suggestions) In Progress?
Triaxx2 - hanging cavern tower In Progress
Scaraban - Room O' Mechanical Mayhem
Indricotherium - GCS silk farm
breadbocks - Projects Domain, Safe House, Welcoming Inn, and Control Room. Planning/In Progress
Comp112 - *insert project for Comp here*

I probably missed some.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:08:06 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

I don't... yes I do. I blame the mis-spelling of better on the hot girl in class. There, problem solved.

Oh, and 'Oh god. I hate being involved in proto-typing. I left Mountainhome because I was always being volunteered for things. Like that Magma submarine. You have no idea how much beer I spent wasted making Obsidian to get out of there in one piece. Then they wanted me to do some channeling at the bottom of a 50 level pit. Last one they said. Good thing I convinced the king to hold the support lever for me. Pity he let go when I said I was done.

Bigger pity he was down there with me to witness the completion. Guessed it was time to get out of there. Wanted posters were a good clue...

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 01, 2011, 11:01:32 am »

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Obsidian 316

Today the walls of the first Obsidian factory floor were completed save for the temporary access route.  I’ve ordered a new entrance carved on the safe side of the floodgates and the old entrance will then be sealed.  Work is well underway to install the new axels and gears to transmit power to the magma pumps.  In fact, I’ll have the miners start tapping into the magma pipe immediately so we can get the obsidian factory online as soon as possible!     

I had a dwarf in my office today asking if he could join the military under a new name.  He arrived with the most recent migrant group and didn’t want word getting back to mountainhome that he had dodged the military draft only to join up here.  I told Ahra I was fine with that.  For the moment, I’m assigning him to Catten’s squad.  He will be wielding a spear.

Spoiler: Ahra the Speardwarf (click to show/hide)

Oddly enough, when I pulled out Ahra’s file to make the appropriate changes, I stumbled onto Kezan’s file as well.  I really need to work on getting things better organized here.  I think I need a new office.  With a lot more cabinets.  Since it was out, I gave it a look over.  Kezan’s suggestions for the cave defenses were key leading directly to the current defenses for all three cave levels and have prevented many creatures including forgotten beasts from the depths from invading our fortress. 

Spoiler: Kezan the Mechanic (click to show/hide)

Lately he’s been installing the mechanical hardware to operate the magma pumps for the obsidian factory and occasionally training with the spear as part of the militia initiative.  He is also married with four children now; the youngest one was born just before New Years Eve last year.  I believe I’ll have to get him focused on mechanism production, his training has apparently slid to one side in recent months. 

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Obsidian 316

Apparently the liaison this year brought word that we are now a county.  Of course, this means that the baron is now a Count and has concluded that he deserves more stuff in his rooms.  And that we don’t get to export ballista parts now.  I told the twit I would see what could be done. 

How many weapon racks does he really need?  He doesn’t even carry a weapon. 

Derm and his squad came back from the caves today with a lot of blood on them.  Apparently a herd of crundles had wandered into the area so Derm took them down for a little combat exercise.  It was nice of Derm to share for once. 

Indri also came by to let me know that he would like to work with our potash maker/clothier.  Between the three dwarves involved in cloth and clothing production the fortress should have some amazing clothing available. 

Events of the 23rd of Obsidian 316

It had been a near thing but the poisonous forgotten beast lurking down in the third cave level had been entrapped between the two security drawbridges.  Unable or unwilling to break down the bridges with its bulk, it simply slithered back and forth in the small space while Thatdude made her way down into the caverns.  She was the closest by far thanks to being stationed in the second cave level.

The best emerged and she took one single shot at the beast.  The bolt went into the beast body with a wet plunk.  And the pile of grime went still as the grave.  Apparently the single bolt had pierced whatever gave the thing life. 

Thatdude shrugged.  That was easy.  She headed back upstairs to sound the all clear for the third cave level.   

Cog’s Journal, 25th of Obsidian 316

There was nearly a disaster today.  A kobold thief slipped into the inner part of the fortress today.  Litast the Mason happened to be the one who stumbled onto it.  Instead of running like normal, he decided to try out her military skills.  Suprisingly, he managed to kill it but he received a nasty cut on his arm for his trouble.  Not fatal by any stretch but it could have been worse.  At least the training is starting to pay off.  Catching and killing a kobold is harder than it sounds.  At least Micheal has something to do now! 

OOC: A few quiet items to round out the year.  Coming in a few hours, New Years! 

@Indricotherium:  Done, thanks for the response!

@Ahra: I received your message in time; your dwarf is introduced above!

@Riversand: Good to see you around again!  I’ve posted a revisit of Kezan above.  While I modified the final designs slightly, no beast has entered the fortress since the security system was implemented. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Good list; that will help a lot!  I’ll have the full status list and news years map done in a few hours. 

@Triaxx2: Heh!  Nice one.  This prototyping is far safer than a magma submarine though!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 118