Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293189 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #705 on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »

Sweet bow bro.

I thought in the new version dwarves could use all weapons now?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 28, 2011, 02:16:12 pm »

Yeah, we can, but we can't make ammo for it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:01 pm »

OOC: for the swimming pool could you put grates on the floor and pump water throught them instead of pouring it in? Also you could make a "pump gym" where you build pumps that are just there and set all the military dwarfs to pump them? it builds strength easily.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 28, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

Cog came to me today asking me to keep an eye an a particular dwarf. I told him not to worry about it and that if anything of interest came up I would be sure to let him know. What I decided not to tell him was that we should only be really worried if the dwarfs that dig out the halls for the dead mysteriously die after they finish. If such an event happens it suggests that someone has used the chance to dig some secret tunnels of which Cog would be unaware. I'll just have to be sure to be in on the team of dwarfs that helps dig the place. Though if this undertaker is smart and really wants a secret tunnel put in, he'll likely dig it out himself. Then he doesn't have to arrange the deaths of any dwarfs and only him and the people he trusts would know of it's existence.

In regards to the Nightwing case, I've followed up a few leads and put out a few questions about dwarfs that have knowledge of Bookkeeping, Administration, and or drawn art that they came here with to find out who might have had the talent to create a fake order. Some things I'm fairly sure about are that it was a Migrant and not anyone born here, as those born here have never been exposed to a shoddy system of order distribution. It also must have been one of the earlier Migrants that came as they also had a working knowledge of the Nightwing, and the system we had in place for keeping it confined. I'm fairly sure that whom ever did this has also done something in the past and has been laying low for sometime. Soon I think I'll have a nice narrow list of names that I can give over to Cog, that can then either be fined tuned more or turned over to Rashem so that they can be questioned.

---
OOC: I personally don't know much about Zanfar to know if he would appear on the suspect list, nor do I know much about the Undertaker to know how much Syntic would be suspicious of him in regards to doing anything odd or what not. Please feel free to make a list of five or so suspects that Syntic would take to Cog, though know he would have many more suspects than that, those would just be his top five.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 28, 2011, 04:58:10 pm »

Battlecat, have I ever mentioned how awesome you are? Cause you are.

I was thinking side tunnel from first cave, because nobody would think to look around there anymore.

Scaraban: Sure. Otherwise it would quickly be noticed that some kooky bone carver kept stealin mah cratez mechanisms, but not so much if a Legendary Mechanic did. Battlecat, add a hidden lever like the one planned for Martini to Scaraban's room.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 28, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »

actually my room is in the control room Breadbocks
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 28, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »

Err.... Don't you think somebody would catch onto a missing dorf pretty fast?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 28, 2011, 05:10:33 pm »

actually last time I recall seeing my relationships my only one higher than passing acquaintances was Pawn because we used to have to share a workshop

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 28, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »

Must resist... urge to... claim... Artefact... Bow! It would be funny though to see how many artefacts I could get though...

And yeah. Arrows are easy to come by though through training. Elves usually bring a crap load every year. Especially later game.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:52 am »

I like my explanation better. That's all. Of course then I could engrave it, and make the Magma happy. At least until it finds itself being very happy burning goblins.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 30, 2011, 10:20:08 am »

Indri's Journal, 17th of Galena 316

First batch of cloaks and mittens out the door. Boy it feels good to be making a difference! I can't wait to meet other dwarfs in the halls and say, "I made that!" What fun!

I hope the fit is good.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:08 am »

Cog's Journal, 13th of Limestone 316

The 17th child of Vucar and Asmel was born today.  I'm really not sure what else can be said on that.

Cog's Journal, 17th of Limestone 316

Well, Omen certainly must be pleased with himself today.  He came out of the animal wing leading his four new pets.  He is now accompanied by a single war dog, two black war bears and a war cougar!  I believe he is eyeing a grizzly bear next and then possibly the leopard we captured in our cage traps many years ago.  Granted, the leopard will have to be tamed first but I think Omen is very excited to finally have his pets! 

Syntic also came by recently with a list of five dwarves that could have the knowledge necessary to produce a forged work order. 

Ezum Nethzuglar: Our official Bookkeeper and a Legendary Engraver.  No complaints about his work but he is the most skilled record keeper after myself.

Derm the Soulchopper: Not a pleasant thought but he is the second most skilled organizer in the fortress after myself once again.  I doubt this very much, but I suppose it's concievable. 

Rifotangrir, Hammerdwarf: Leader of the hammerdwarf squad, again, lots of experience with organizing and paperwork here in Towersoared. 

Doren Uzolsterus: Another hammerdwarf with more skill than average at administration.

Sazir Tishisamost: : Yet another member of the military, this time the leader of the marksdwarf squad.  I suppose these results shouldn't surprise me.  The military gets more opportunity to do administration work than anyone else. 

In addition to the baron, the baron’s consort and this Undertaker character that makes eight dwarves in this fortress who might have the ability to accomplish this.  And those are just the ones who officially display and declare their skill, if a skilled liar kept their abilities secret.  I'm particularly unhappy that our military displays the most obvious skill at administration.  My biggest frustration is the possibility that this might be a conspiracy instead of just a single dwarf acting alone.  But for now, we must stay the course.  There is far from enough evidence to prove any dwarf is responsible.  For now, I've asked Syntic to stay the course and maybe ask a few discrete questions.  But most importantly, I asked him to keep an eye out for any dwarves acting odd since he's everywhere in the fortress anyhow. 

Cog's Journal, 3rd of Sandstone 316

Well, the human diplomat has finally departed without saying anything particularly interesting.  He complimented us on a fine home and that was about it.  He didn't give us any particular hope that we would be establishing a formal trade agreement.  Such is life I suppose, but I guess formal contact with the humans could be handy, particularly since it is contact that bypasses the Baron. 

Comp volunteered to help get the cavern safehouse project underway.  He’s a pretty good miner already so his leadership will be greatly appreciated. 

Cog's Journal, 17th of Sandstone 316

The obsidian factory is moving forward smoothly if a bit slowly.  Today the majority of the magma channel was completed as was the installation of the upper floor of orthoclase walls.  Excavation has now started to clear the edges of the lower level for floor installation.  As expected, there is no way we will complete this in 316, but I'm hopeful to see it done by the end of 317. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The water pump stack is nearing completion and work will soon begin on setting up the power conduits to our next tapping point on the magma pipe.  This will be our most elaborate magma pipe tap yet.  I hope we can manage to do it without incinerating anyone.

Thor came to my office with an intriguing idea today.  He inquired about the possibility of a pump exercise room for military dwarves to build up muscles in an alternate way.  I think it’s an excellent idea for the military and the hauling crews.  Once we get all the pumps installed for the obsidian factory, I’ll get that set up.  I’ll establish a temporary small exercise room in Old Towersoared and then a much larger one in the military tower. 

Cog's Journal, 18th of Timber 316

Word has just come in that the liaison and the caravan have arrived today.  And what a surprise, it’s a new liaison once again.  As usual, I’ve dispatched Derm and his squad to cover the Caravan’s arrival.  Sieges are common this time of year; I’d like to be ready to defend our shipment of gemstones once again. 

Cog's Journal, 19th of Timber 316

Gah, a beast has arrived in the upper caves! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We still haven’t dealt with the one in the lower caves yet.  It’s lurking deep in a lake well out of reach.  The dead fish suggest that approaching it with care will be necessary.  But this one has arrived close and doesn’t look nearly as dangerous.  I’ve sounded the evacuation of the lower caves and then they’ll be sealed.  Derm can take care of this one once he’s ensured the safety of the merchants.   

OOC: A lot of simple, random updates this week.  It’s been very quiet on the goblin front; I really hope there’s a siege this year.  Sorry for the delay in the update.  I was busy dealing with some RL stuff last night.  I might post a second update this evening if things go well though. 

@Omen: You’re moving along quite nicely.  You’re a dabbling wrestler but you’re up to competent for fighting.  I’m keeping you on wrestling for now; hopefully you’ll do some individual combat skills to boost that in the near future.  You still have a grudge with Sazir the Marksdwarf although he’s not aware of it.  No new friends but you’re building up a nice batch of acquaintances. 

@Comp112: Done.  I’ll get your dwarf going on that project for now.  Let me know if you come up with something else!

@Scaraban: Since breadbocks has given his consent I’ll include you in the project.  I can also assign you a second bedroom in the command facility since you would be missed if you didn’t spend time in the fortress.  I was remiss in not posting your relationships screen the last time I updated you character.  Your dwarf actually has a lover, the carpenter who outran a goblin ambush many years ago. 

You'll be missed if you don't make occasional showings in the upper fortress but you'll be showing up to eat and drink anyhow.  The secret project of gears and mechanisms you planned would justify you disappearing to wherever your lair is without any trouble.  By the way, your lasher skill is also coming along quite nicely. 

@dermonster: They can use all weapons indeed, but from what I’m reading dwarves can only use the normal bows as a club.  No listing of the longbow skill for dwarves in the wiki.  Ammo would also be a headache since only bolts are assigned in the menu to an entire squad.  On the other hand, bow use does show up in dwarf therapist as a skill so who knows?

@Urist Imiknorris: Importing is still an option but the bow skill seems to be one of the few still restricted. 

@kisame12794: I was actually planning on pouring it in because then I can drop a precisely measured quantity of water that will fill the pool areas to 4-5 deep.  It produces far less flood risk than pumps as well.  I spent about 20 minutes the other day calculated the room sizes to ensure the system would produce the appropriate depths.  As for the pump training room, great idea!  I forgot about that option.  It would be good for the haulers as well.   

@Syntic: I’ve posted your dwarf’s list of five suspects based on your criteria in the update above and the reasons for that suspicion.  Naturally the baron is also a suspicious figure although he seems pretty useless.  Undertaker is only suspicious insofar that he showed up out of the blue without any particular motivation to take over an aspect of fortress management.  As for Zanfar, well we’ll see since I've taken inspiration from Nist Akath for this character. 

@breadbocks:  I've got a couple spots picked out.  One last questions before I get your dwarf started on the digging.  Did you want somewhere close to the fortress entrance where there is no traffic or far away?  There are good options in both categories but I think the nearby option might be better for long term survival.  There's an isolated tunnel right next to the main entrance that is never going to have any traffic.  Scaraban will be assisting you with the mechanical aspect; I’ll have you do the mining and then assist with the mechanics as well.  I've already got the command lever in your room, assigned to you and Scaraban. 

@Thatdude: I’m not sure you could use it anyhow.  But you could probably carry it regardless.  Granted we could try if you want to see if you'll train on it, particularly now that archery training works properly. 

@Triaxx2: Works for me!

@Indricotherium: My only frustration is how inconsistently they wear the clothes.  They keep wanting to switch out.  I can't wait until the dwarven clothing issues are fixed. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:38:50 pm by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 30, 2011, 11:45:21 am »

As always, a great entry.

How many things do you have planned for this fort? And did you upgrade to .25?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 30, 2011, 11:53:25 am »

what a strange group of friends i have
Scaraban's Journal 316
Martini approached me recently about my mechanical core idea, said that I should stop talking about it and meet him in my workshop...
I wonder what he wants

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 30, 2011, 11:54:28 am »

Also I thought pump factories didn't work in 2010? Are working professions still tied to stats? I thought that was strictly military.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 118