Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289605 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #645 on: March 20, 2011, 06:44:42 am »

Shouldn't be a problem with my place getting infested. As long as explorers remember to close the bridges behind them. I'm designing my balconies to be floored over, and fortified around the edges, so no fliers can get in.

@Syntic: And by Special Statue garden I assume you mean magma pool? ;)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 20, 2011, 11:16:31 am »

Indri’s Journal, 21st of Obsidian, 315

We're starting, journal, we're starting! While Urist Imiknorris gets up to speed, I'll use the early batches for things like socks and mittens and dresses for the miners and furnace operators. Work stuff that will just get dirty anyway. Once we've gotten the hang of it, uniform cloaks for everyone! Towersoared must put its best face forward as it steps onto the world stage, visitors from all over will marvel at our architecture, our industry, our wealth, our might and most important of all, our fashion!

Hmmm... I wonder if the new Baron needs clothes of state made... to think, clothier to nobility! I wonder how purple dye is made...

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 20, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

No, invisible dyes. Everyone knows that. ;)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 20, 2011, 02:26:23 pm »

Events of the evening of the 28th of Obsidian, 315

All the dwarves are gathered in the dining hall for the yearly party.  At the back of the dining hall, there is a spiral ramp stairway that is acting as a makeshift stage.  Baron Oddom has just stepped down from that stage.  He made a weak worded speech about staying the course, safety, stability and complimented the residents of on their fine home now that it is nearly completed.  "We have a fine home here, and I'm sure we can now live in comfort for as long as we desire."  Cog then steps up to speak, the Baron giving him a dirty look as he goes by.  Cog simply similes and begins to speak:

“My fellow dwarves, thank you for another fine year of hard work.  You've accomplished a great deal in this fortress and several projects have nearly been completed.  In particular, the industrial halls and the bedroom projects are effectively completed!  We have masterworks being produced regularly by every industry and a home that certainly rivals mountainhome.  And even exceeds it in some cases. ” 

“There have been challenges and some projects have taken much longer than expected due to unforseen issues.  The dining hall still has details that need completion, including the window murals which are still taking shape slowly.  The glass works is barely completed and the sand is still waiting to come to the depths, but all that will be completed very soon.”

“This year, we start on the next projects towards making this place truly eclipse mountainhome.  The first phase is the construction of an obsidian factory, a project which I'm sure will excite many of you!  The obsidian factory will be set into the hillside at the east end of the dining hall.  I'm still working out the final design details but tunnel excavation work will begin as soon as is possible.  This will also finally necessitate bringing water to the surface level of our fortress, so the current pump system will be expanded and we will tap one of the other lakes in the first cave layer.” 

“While this industrial facility may sound simple, it is necessary to begin the process of construction at the main gates and fortress wall.  Walls of obsidian blocks will tower over the entrance to our home.  The front gate will be well designed and guarded against intrusion.  I'll leave these on the tables below for you to view.”

“As you can see, there are still some drafting lines on these.  The blue area represents the trench moats we have just finished carving this very year, I've pondered flooding them with water, but that will necessitate magma heating to keep them from freezing.  The reason for the odd shapes to our defensive trench is to accommodate this very structure.  Draw bridges will be placed in several locations to act as quick and safe access to the front of the fortress.  Once you are through the gate, the north road will take you to the inner gates.” 

“These gates are planned as the main field of battle for the armies of Towersoared.  A drawbridge will prevent goblin incursion deeper into our fortress, but will also act to seal the space.  Our military can approach from the east and west within the walls, and fight the trapped goblins at their leisure.  Then the pillars of magma surrounding this area can be opened to clean the area of debris.  The system could theoretically kill the goblins without military involvement but I wouldn't want to rob our talented military of the kills.”

“The third and highest priority project will be the military tower.  This tower will be at the center of Towersoared, directly south of the entrance to the double helix stairwell and it will have easy access to all parts of the fortress.  This tower is the top priority in part because of the need to train our military in swimming.”

Spoiler: The Military Tower (click to show/hide)

“The ground floor will feature a pair of swimming areas supplied with water from the depths.  Higher floors will have training barracks for the active military, archery ranges and dedicated space for the militias.  Naturally all these designs are subject to some changes depending on ideas from within but the core form will be maintained.”

"We also have Dragonshardz's lighting and waterfall system for the stairwell and Martini's water and magma falls to flank our main entrance that are still in the early planning stages.  Where mountain home stopped, we are just beginning.  Towersoared will become the shining beacon of Dwarven ingenuity and creativity.”

“I'm sure I've bored you all enough with this rambling speech, so I'll just leave it at this: If you have questions or ideas regarding the future of our fortress, as always don't hesitate to bring them to me.  I've also brought the latest architectural drawings and the ledger for this year.  Feel free to peruse it.  Now, lets get this party started and bring in the New Year!” 

And with that, Cog steps down from the platform to join the rest of the fortress in a party.

OOC: So, I've got a few plans.  Just a few, but it should keep the dwarves fairly busy!  I'll be spending a fair bit of time getting the digging plans laid out in the next few evenings but it shouldn't impact the rate of updates.  In response to the inevitable question, I do this design work in Autocad on a 1x1 grid.  In addition to planing, Autocad also allows me to estimate sizes of rooms and quantities of materials.

@Urist Imiknorris: That sounds like a neat idea, similar to Triaxx's hanging tower plan.  For now, I'll just shut him up by stuffing him in one of the rooms overlooking the dining hall but I like that plan for later!

@dermonster: It tends to come down to who gets the killing blow, the military was all together for this fight since I've doubled the goblin body sizes.

@Syntic: Good ideas although organizing children is much like trying to herd cats!  I'll see what I can do though. 

@Scaraban: That might work.  Burrows should work nicely, best part is that the children even respect burrows.  Well, more often than not anyhow.  I've been trying to keep the children inside but that's not working so well.

@Triaxx2: Excellent!  Everything new above is multi-year projects so we'll be able to fit your project in.  Oh, did you have a material in mind so I can start block production?  Here are the stone types I have over 1000 loose stone for:  Andesite (black), marble (white), cobaltite (dark blue), orthoclase (yellow), microline (pale blue) and mica (black).  I also have excessive quantities (over 1000 ore units laying around) of lead, copper, zinc and tin if you feel inclined to include metals. 

@Indricootherium: Sounds good, Cog will address your plans after the party in the next update!  It's too bad we can't mix dyes yet. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:28:01 pm by Battlecat »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 20, 2011, 03:27:27 pm »

I was expecting a joke at the baron's expense.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 20, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »

What happened to the floor in the entrance hallway? In previous years it was all nicely designed flooring, but this year I see lots of stray blocks in the hall that match the color of the tile that is suppose to be there.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 20, 2011, 04:08:48 pm »

Probably due to the bookkeeping issues from earlier - he mentioned tearing up the metal parts and replacing them with metal blocks so the bookkeeper could tell the difference between availablematerials and materials used in construction.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:07 am »

Omen's journal, 28th of Obsidian, 315

I've been so busy I haven't had time to write!  I'm in the hammerdwarf squad, training my wrestling.  I've got a long road ahead of me, and I wasn't good enough to be able to fight the goblins.  The rumors are true there, the goblins are much bigger.  They were knocking down dwarves left and right.  though that didn't keep us from killing them all.

The Baron is always hanging out in the statue hall.  He tries to talk to me when I go down there, and I stay for a bit to be polite, but he's just so different from the other dwarves here.  His world is so small, when the possibilities are so big!  I talked with Cog about that, and he just shook his head.  I'm so glad to live some place where dwarves can dream big. 

The new constructions Cog has planned are pretty amazing.  I can't wait to see them realized. 

Maybe soon I'll be able to explore and fight goblins as well!  With cool monsters at my side!

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 21, 2011, 11:23:50 am »

Man, this fortress just gets more and more inspirational.  What's my dwarf been up to?  Still blocking away?  I'll do another write-up in the near future when I can think of something to pitch in.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »

GraAH!  I hate rain. I just now have internet again, and haven't the speed to post my plans. I hates dial-up. Hates rain too. Both takes away the precious...

I'll post tomorrow from school, with the fast(er) stable wifi-internets.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 21, 2011, 02:03:02 pm »

Cog's Journal, 1st of Granite 316

Today I wasted no time in checking material levels, laying out excavation plans and getting work orders written up.  There is a lot to do and not much time to do it in!  One of the top priority projects of the new year is to get the sand supply collapsed down to the depths.  That should be done within the month.  Second items on the list is re-establishing our water supply and carving the additional space for our extended water pump stack and for bringing the power supply up to the surface. 

Also, Urist Imiknorris and her squad will enter training for the first time next month.  We'll start with 1 time per year and then see where it goes from there.  I believe Derm will be getting them kicked off.  Next month will be the mechanics and one of the hauling crews and then the miners in the month after that. 

From there I'm still planning out the squads.  Some squads still don't have any equipment although I have the forges working as fast as they can on that and other projects.  I’ve decided to assign each squad a particular type of weapon unless an individual dwarf asks otherwise.  That’s mostly because a lot of dwarves were grabbing crossbows and no ammunition.  The masons are assigned maces, the miners will use their picks and the mechanics are going to use spears.  Except for Scaraban who wants a whip apparently. 

Events of the 22nd of Granite 316

Abyss was walking through the dining hall on a break when Cog caught his arm.  “The sand collapse is ready, go ahead and pull the switch.”  Abyss turned and ran towards the control room where the temporary switch was ready to go.  Soon his glassworking would be moved into the safe depths of the new south industrial hall, complete with an easily accessible sand source! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Without a moment’s hesitation, he threw the switch.  He could feel the rumble as the block of sand punched through floor after floor on its way down to the depths. 

He ran towards the new glassworks to see what the result was.  What he saw was exactly what he had hoped for.  Now glass production could get going again.  The roof just needed to be sealed off to keep creatures out. 

Cog's Journal, 28th of Granite 316

First order of business, Urist Imiknorris gave birth to her second son today.  I offered my congratulations of course.  She’s started splitting her time between dyeing and individual combat drills, as have a lot of the dwarves who joined the military.  I should also note that Indri has started work on crafting some socks and mittens to get warmed up for outfitting us with some higher quality clothing.  His skills as a clothier are rusty since it’s been a few years since he’s used them.  But I’m sure they’ll come back to him soon.

Our metalworking dwarves have been insanely busy with crafting lately.  Between getting steel armor and weapons crafted for the militia, crafting metal blocks and installing the improved metal floors upstairs, they’ve been stretched to their absolute limit!  Crifmer has been a particularly valuable addition since he’s picking up all metal working skills very rapidly.  I’ve actually had to ask him to hold off on furnace operating for a while because of the backlog of forge jobs. 

The early part of this year has been fraught with frustration as we start to lay the foundations for the next phase.  At the rate things are going, I expect we’ll be lucky to get the obsidian factory up and running before the end of the year.  On the other hand, once the miners finish with the fiddly details it could speed up significantly.  But every time I turn around there are more details to sort out to prepare the fortress for this project, not to mention the remaining backlog on older projects that are still being finished up.  It was noted recently that three of the water reactors had failed due to evaporation.  They of course can’t be reactivated until I get the water supply fixed.  And without those pumps, we won’t have enough power to bring water up and magma out of the pipe. 

But things are moving along now, in fact, I’m heading down to design a pump installation right now.  The baron hasn’t been much of an issue.  Other than his incessant complaints about his rooms not being done and his mandate about bucklers, he’s been pretty harmless so far.  I don't think he's happy about our open defiance against his unspoken mandate in favor of stability but there's really not much he can do to stop us. 

OOC: Just a quick update today!  Lots of stuff going on, but it’s all preparatory.  I’m discovering all sorts of irritating little details that need to be dealt with before I can actually make the obsidian factory. 

@Urist Imiknorris: I honestly couldn’t think of anything good in the joke department.  I think the blatant defiance of the nobility's preference for stability and quiet is pretty good though.  Not to mention the length of time it's taking to get his dining room set up. 

@Syntic: Urist Imiknorris’ answer is exactly right.  The entrance hall is 90% done, but not all the ripped up bars have been hauled back downstairs yet.  It’ll be all cleaned up when the next winter rolls around.

@Omen: Still getting your armor in place, but your dwarf is training now.  I’ve got you training animals already, and sometime soon I’ll modify the raws to make large cats and other animals war trainable. 

@Crifmer: Your dwarf has been an immense help!  I had to take him off furnace operating for a while because I needed him to focus on the forge jobs.  He’s been working extensively on blacksmithing, armorsmithing and even weaponsmithing very quickly!   He’s also been installing the new metal block floors at the entrance hallway.  I'll get you some more details on his work soon. 

@Triaxx2: Bummer, that sucks!  No worries though, I’ll get your project started as soon as I have your drawings.  :)  Looking forward to seeing them.   

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:06 pm »

@Battlecat

Great news.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with all that.  Nice update, I must say I really am enjoying this thread.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Journal of Abyss, 22nd of Granite 316, night

Cog gave me the go-signal for the collapse! Now we have sand underground, away from danger and the desert sun!

Also, took a peek at the animals today, and that giant spid looks mesmerizing. Eight, spindly legs...

(OOC: Giant spid = GCS. Don't ask me, TomiTapio did it.)
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:51 am »

I give you the tower of Triaxx, which soars down into the depths of the cavern to brush against the magma sea, and utilize it's amazing awesomeness to power a mighty mini-industry.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:44:59 pm by Triaxx2 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 22, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »

can i has dorf? if possible i want the highest skilled unclaimed hammerdorf. name him Thor.
or a blacksmith, same name
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 118