Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289413 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #615 on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

Oooh. I'll have to have a look, at the map. Triaxx would be totally willing to help Derm punch through the wall in his way.

And you know? The game must be psychic. I look a little like that, save mustache and beard.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:16:54 pm by Triaxx2 »

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:24 pm »

Journal of 'ThatDude' Berkashez

This fortress is so filled with talent! I mean, the amount of beautiful objects created around here every day is astounding. Just the other day another masterpiece so perfect was created that everyone agreed that it an artefact in it's own right. Along with the amazing scope of the architectural design from Cog this Fortress must be the richest, most impressive Fort ever. Anywhere.
And that's not counting the military.
The leader has taken entire squads of goblins on his own and won! I bet he didn't even get any help to take apart that last siege limb from bloody limb. The others in the military are just there so people feel more comfortable. And this is where I lie...
The Nick-name 'Thatdude' came from the playful banter amongst the squad after my only achievement, saying I would fade into the background amongst so many other great achievements, not a name but a no-body eclipsed by Derm the self proclaimed 'soul-chopper' (whether he does or not is a different question).
So I resolve to not fade into the masses! I will be as great a name as Derm and if not I'll be better or will have died gloriously! But how to do this...
I have it! No-one hasn't noticed just how many beasts have come to raid our fortress! Some rumours are circulating but I say it's just no-one believes just how skilled Derm is. This fort has almost no credibility as it is amongst the mountainhomes and they are the super-power in the world, so why shouldn't anyone believe him.
But I digress, I feel that killing the beasts is a good thing to do, and I know the perfect way to attract them. For that is what I will need to do to get my fame. That headscarf is an artefact with masterful images of other artefacts on them. If I can secure that and be able to patrol the caverns with that on the greedy creatures will be drawn to it like the stupid creatures they really are.
But this plan will not sit well with most dwarves. Increase the number of attacks? They'll never let me do it. I'll just say that I feel the silk collector needs a bit of protection. He is one of the most oblivious dwarves I have ever seen after all. Anyway, off to a meeting with Cog to sort this all out.

Wow, Sorry for the wall of text but when I start writing I find it hard to stop... :-[
But long story short, my dwarf wants patrol the cavern with the new artefact heafscarf to 'protect' the silk collector. Keep up the great story telling.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 16, 2011, 01:24:46 pm »

Indri's Journal, 20th of Moonstone, 315

Things are really looking up around here, journal. After the caravan came a couple chests of imported silk were brought to me, yes! And even better, Urist Imiknorris just told me that Cog agreed to let them help me get the silk dyed. Urist Imiknorris, head of the Stoneworkers, helping *me*! It's very exciting. Dwarfs think the caves must be exciting, just the other day ThatDude was expressing his concern about me collecting webs down there, but I tell them it's actually really peaceful. Just the cool air, the clicking of the spiders weaving and the occasional far off bellow or sound of rushing water. I mean, what's to worry, right?

Got to go. Urist wanted to see what we had in the way of potential colors. I'm going to start them off on the regular cave spider silk thread until they get up to speed on dyeing. That stuff can be used for sutures no matter what it looks like. After they get the hang of it, we can really start to brighten this place up!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

Eagerly awaiting the forgone conclusion.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 16, 2011, 02:25:25 pm »

Eagerly awaiting the forgone conclusion.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:54 am »

Very nice updates.  I can't wait till my dwarf grows up!

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 17, 2011, 10:03:18 am »

Sorry for rarely replying, but I tend to like to lurk.

Seems like my guy is doing great. If I remember that tile-set correctly, his place still needs engraved so go ahead and have just him do that.

I cannot remember his purpose, but was it to create a supplemental food stockpile, or an emergency one? May as-well slap a brewery down there, and have a barrel chute to drop empty barrels down so he can produce some booze. That is, if it is an emergency stockpile of sorts.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51:47 am »

Sorry for rarely replying, but I tend to like to lurk.

Seems like my guy is doing great. If I remember that tile-set correctly, his place still needs engraved so go ahead and have just him do that.

I cannot remember his purpose, but was it to create a supplemental food stockpile, or an emergency one? May as-well slap a brewery down there, and have a barrel chute to drop empty barrels down so he can produce some booze. That is, if it is an emergency stockpile of sorts.
comp just wanted to live alone in the caverns, i thought, not sure if he had any grand purpose
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 17, 2011, 11:42:34 am »

Yeah, I like that. Let's hang it over the Magma Sea from 53 down through to 49, with shooting balconies on each side. And can I get a lever to lock the door behind me, that also opens the doors to the balconies.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:13 am »

Cog's Journal, 23rd of Moonstone, 315

Well well well, would you look at what Scaraban brought upstairs from the random handful of cage traps we set in the caves:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, this one comes down to the same question as the Nightwing did so many years ago: What do we do with it?  I’ve heard stories about farming these spiders for silk but I have no idea how to go about it.  Maybe Indri has some thoughts.  Speaking of Indri, I’ve also got those stock records he was looking for.  I’ve included them below:

Prepared Dyes: 
   Dimple Dye (Blue): 40 units
   Emerald Dye (Green): 430 units
   Redroot Dye (Red): 250 units

Plants: None available, but we have seeds to produce more dimple cups.

Cloth and Thread: (Including uncollected thread potential in caves)

Giant Cave Spider Silk: 115 Cloth / 188 Thread
Cave Spider Silk: 172 Cloth / 1814 Thread
Rope Reed Fiber: 297 Cloth / 45 Thread
Pig Tail Fiber: 39 Cloth / 29 Thread

With this information Urist Imiknorris and Indri should be able to plan on being well trained by the time the Giant Cave spider silk is ready to go.  The only thing I’m really curious about is if they want to spend some training time on plant cloths or if they just want to focus exclusively on silk.

Triax came by once again in a break from his early basic military training to inquire about setting up a home in the deeps.  He would like to carve a hanging tower over the magma sea. 

To top things off, Thatdude has requested the leather headscarf that was recently created and has asked to be posted in the second cave level to help protect Indri while he’s collecting silk.  I think that’s an excellent plan so I’ll post him down there as often as he feels inclined.  The headscarf is a reasonable request; it should look quite classy wrapped around his helmet.

Events of the 25th of Moonstone, 315

There was the rumbling sound of mechanisms working and then a clank as the bridge in to the deepest cave level opened before Derm the Soulchopper.  Behind him, the other bridge back in to the fortress slammed shut, cutting off his access.  A necessary security in case he fell in battle so the rest of the military could make their way down to deal with the monster. 

As he walked towards the pool where the beast was reported to be lurking, Derm thought about his accomplishments over the years.  Derm would turn 71 in Obsidian.  He had been rather unremarkable and uninspired blacksmith back in mountain home.  He dreamed of military glory back living in mountainhome and now he had it.  Countless monsters and goblins, three giants and five forgotten beasts had fallen before him.  And now, Aknun willing, the sixth forgotten beast would die to his axe. 

As he rounded the bend in the cave, the feathery scorpion burst from the water and began to charge towards him.  He raised Akmeshitat, and screamed out his defiance at the universe that would spawn such horrors. 

This beast was monstrous, and immediately he saw that this would be another tough fight.  As the beast came in for its first strike, he deftly dodged out of the way and chopped the beast in the leg, tearing a deep gash.  Quickly, it changed its tactics and began charging him, knocking him down here and there.  However, as the beast attempted to make its attacks after the charge, he easily scrambled out of the way and pulled himself to his feet.  However, this was not good.  The beast's bulk and speed easily matched his combat prowess.  All he could do was dodge and weave looking for an opening.

Then suddenly, he looked behind him and realized the beast had maneuvered him over to the shore of the lake.  Before he could process the situation fully, the beast charged him again and sent him flying into the water.  As he hit the water, Derm took a deep breath and then sank to the bottom like a stone in his heavy armor.

The beast could breathe underwater and would easily survive this fight just by pushing him under.  But perhaps being incautious, the beast dove in to the water after him.  Derm quickly swam out of the way, and began swinging Akmeshitat in spite of the water holding him back.  He struck hard and tore the beast in the legs and thorax, dealing some damage.  But still the beast kept coming. 

In spite of his precarious position, Derm kept the fight up.  He would dodge and block the clumsy underwater attacks of the beast and then take a strike when the opportunity arose.  Finally, he got a solid shot in on the foot of the beast, severing it, sending it floating away.

The beast was bleeding profusely now, but it still charged with great power.  In fact, it was hitting even faster and harder than before it seemed.  Or was he running out of air and actually slowing down?  Derm didn't have time to decide which it was and continued the fight.  Then he got in one more flurry of hits, tearing and ripping at the beast’s abdomen and leg.  Then he severed one more foot.  And the beast suddenly shuddered and went still in the water.  Floating.  Dead. 

Without a wasted moment, Derm dragged himself out of the water and sat down on the shore of the lake, breathing hard to catch his breath after that dangerous battle.  That was likely the closest he had come to dying since he had arrived in Towersoared.  And the funny thing was, it wasn't the beast that would have killed him.  He glanced briefly over at the spire of adamantium in the middle of the lake nearby and turned Akmeshitat over in his hand, considering the future as he pulled himself to his feet and began the walk back to the fortress.

Someday, someday soon the miners would map out the whole pillar and then they could carve off sections of the precious stone safe from whatever might hide below.  And then weapons and armor the likes of which had never been see would be crafted in Towersoared.  But at the same time, the thought of giving up Akmeshitat pained him.  This weapon had been with him for many years and had very nearly as many kills as him.  It was a precious item to him, an extension of his own arm.

He shook his head and then walked back to the fortress.  The adamantium could wait for another day. 

OOC: I thought Derm was done for when he hit the water.  But he killed the beast even while drowning.  Also, we have a giant cave spider now. 

@Triaxx2: Actually I’ve had that comment a couple times when I’ve assigned dwarves.  I’m looking forward to seeing where you decide to set up shop.  FYI, I’ve already done some experimenting with downwards construction, so that shouldn’t be a problem.  I’ll double check the map, but levels 53 down to 49 shouldn’t be a problem.  I think there will have to be two levers, one to lock the door and one to open the balconies since levers are very quirky and don’t actually work the way you describe as far as I know.  Did you have a particular floor plan or size in mind?  Did you want it symmetrical or should I vary the size and layout for each floor?  Should I just run with it and see what happens?   Feel free to post a blueprint if you've got an idea. 

@Thatdude: I love it, don’t worry one bit about being verbose!  I’m guilty of the same thing as evidenced by my updates!   I’ll put your dwarf on patrol down in the caves rather than training as often as he can tolerate.  And I can confirm that you are now wearing the headscarf even though I don't have a screenshot for this update.   

@Indricotherium: Inventory of dyes, cloth and thread above.  The game is of course counting uncollected thread but that should give you an idea of the potential.  Also, we have a Giant Cave Spider captured. 

@dermonster, Urist Imiknorris: This one was closer than usual.  I was holding my breath expecting him to drown, especially since he’s just achieved dabbling in swimming thanks to this fight. 

@Omen: Should be soon, I looked at you bio again.  Your 12th birthday is actually coming up very soon.

@Comp112: No worries at all.  I’m sure you’ll reply if something comes to mind.  His home is smoothed, so I’ll start him on engraving at some point in here.  The farms are working well.  At the moment, the plants are going back up to the main stockpile, but I’ll set up a local storage area soon.  He’s also getting assistance from the other fortress planter on occasion.  I think eventually there will be quite a number of services down here; a brewery will be a high priority.

@Scaraban: Yeah, there wasn’t any particular plan, but it can always evolve.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:56:38 pm by Battlecat »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 17, 2011, 12:05:14 pm »

actually if we have any unmelted lashes can i have one of those instead of a hammer?
and if you have the time and space for it, I would love a room filled with gear assemblies and axles for some useless, but dwarfy device
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »

Hey, you know my earlier suggestion for a swimming pool?

This was why.

Completely awesome in every aspect of the word. You actually had me worried there.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »

I would suggest training on the cave spider silk, given that it's even cheaper than the plant fiber stuff. Also, there's way more of it to come.

Regarding Triaxx's lever: Drawbridge and (doors||floodgates).

The beasts are getting smarter. :o
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »

I'll sketch one up. The bottom level will be licking at the magma, I don't know if I'll need to build that out of firesafe. Ooh. Hey. I think I have a thought.  :D

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 18, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »

Cog's Journal, 28th of Moonstone, 315

Derm returned from the depths, dripping with water from head to toe.  He informed me that the swimming pool he suggested many years ago would be very handy and inquired as to when it would be done.  I said I would look into it and get back to him.  I then went to my desk and started digging through the piles of papers.  Sure enough, down near the bottom was Derm’s request. 

I have to admit, I lost track of the request and as such nothing has been done.  However, I believe I can rejig a design to fit in a swimming facility.  There’s going to be a lot of pump construction in the New Year anyhow.  We need a lot of liquids in a lot of different places for upcoming projects.  Plus we have to fix the water supply. 

The creativity of our dwarves continues unabated, if a bit odd.  Scaraban has requested space to build a machine.  When I enquired what it would be, he hemmed a bit and finally admitted he didn’t know yet, but he had an idea or two.  I’ll have the miners excavate some space near the power facility for him to work with. 

Cog's Journal, 5th of Opal, 315

Today I got married.  It’s been a long time coming, a mere 14 years since I first met Catten Umbafol back in mountain home.  We’ve supported each other through the best and worst that mountainhome, Towersoared and our own minds had to throw at us.  And now, I’ve finally persuaded her to marry me in spite of her position in the military. 

There are more than enough parties on the go in Towersoared lately; we both have a lot of work to get back to. 

Cog's Journal, 9th of Opal, 315

One of our recent migrants seems to have been possessed by the creative air here.  He dropped what he was carrying and charged off towards a nearby crafting shop.  I'll be interested to see what is created here.

Events of the 10th of Opal, 315

Thob the liaison was absolutely exhausted but happy at the same time.  Following in Zasit's wake, he'd gotten a full tour of the glory of Towersoared .  But finally, the day had come where they would meet and discuss things.  Finally he could deliver these letters. 

He sat down across the table from Zasit.  “So, before we get started on negotiations this year, I have a letter to deliver.  I was told it was the responsibility of the mayor to see this done.”  He passed it across the table and watched at Zasit started reading the letter.  Thob was puzzled when Zasit turned white as a ghost upon reading it.  “Are they mad!?!   Are you?!  After everything they've done to all of us here, they would do this?!” 

Thob was puzzled and responded.  “Well I don't believe so, I'm sure they have good reason for whatever it is.” 

Zasit stared at Thob and then shook his head, walking towards the door, “You must be an idiot if you believe that.  No wonder the nobles are still in charge at mountain home.  Stay here, I'll be back in a minute to discuss things.  First Cog needs to be aware of the contents of this letter.”  And with that, Zasit dashed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. 

Thob stared for a moment and then slumped back in his chair.  He idly wondered what was in that letter that would be so terrible.   It was just a letter from the king after all, how bad could it be? 

Quote from: The Letter Dated, 8th of Galena, 315

To the current mayor of Towersoared:  Your recent contribution to the wealth of mountain home was greatly appreciated.  Naturally, it did not go unnoticed and such things require proper care and management.  As such, I have executed the appropriate papers to make your lands a barony, and have dispatched a capable administrator to ensure all runs smoothly.  Oddom Sigunzalud and his consort will be in your fortress by now, simply waiting for this letter to make their status official. 

I trust that you will treat him with the respect due to his station and ensure they are maintained in quarters to the very highest standard.  In the future, I may call on Towersoared to supply materials in support of the war effort against the goblin hordes.  I expect you to prepare for the worst as we are.  The goblins are more powerful than we thought possible and they are changing.  But for now all is well, conduct your trading as you see fit, even if you are trading with Elves as well. 

In my own hand,

King Ushrir Domasam of the Manor of Deification

Cog's Journal, 20th of Opal, 315 

I have finally calmed down enough to actually write in here without tearing through the page.  I went down to the deep caves and screamed for a while, I'm hopeful that nobody heard me.  A baron, they sent a bloody baron here in secret posing as a normal migrant.  He immediately came in to my office, introduced himself and informed me he would require some better rooms.  I'm certain this is an attempt to put some sort of controls on my activities here and I fully expect he'll start trying to interfere.  Well that's fine, he can try.  Towersoared will progress in spite of them.  They have no hold over us and the authority he actually wields is tenuous at best.  In fact, I plan to ensure this New Year party is one to remember. 

Cog's Journal, 25th of Opal, 315 

Finally, a bright point in the past few weeks.  Another masterpiece, this time an exquisite stone amulet worth 62,000 urists!  He calls it Gerig Lolor, The Bank of Letters. 

On the down side, the “Baron” showed up again to inquire when he would get his rooms.     Just the thought of this parasite makes me want to scream.  There was a special note for me delivered from the liaison this year as well.  A lovely little reminder about homicide of a noble being punishable by death.  Regardless, I’ve got the engravers putting some finishing touches on the first of the main rooms overlooking the highest point of the dining hall.

I've only managed to find one redeeming thing about this dwarf.  At least he cares enough for his wife to actually share a room with her.  I've heard of consorts actually having separate living quarters entirely from their husband. 

Cog's Journal, 27th of Opal, 315

Another small bright point in the past month:

Today, Omen Egencog turned 12, officially coming of age.  I believe he wanted to train as a wrestler but he also expressed an interest in animal training.  I believe both can be arranged if he's interested so I've put some animals on the list for training tomorrow and I'll inquire about which military squad he wants to join.  Today he parties. 

OOC: Apparently sometime during the year Catten and Cog kicked their relationship up rapidly, probably due to having somewhere to spend time actually socializing.   

As for the Baron, it was about time for some nobility in this fortress.  I’m simply ignoring the fact that I choose the dwarf to become baron.  He arrived in secret instead and waiting for his mandate to arrive.  What I haven’t decided is if he will be a parasitic baron or if he will pitch in occasionally.  Guess we’ll see what he starts mandating. 

@Scaraban: We haven’t wasted a minute trying to melt down goblin junk yet.  All our metal is directly obtained from mined ores.  Would you prefer a scourge or a whip?  A room full of random gears, axels and levers sounds like lots of fun.  I’ll even plug it into the power grid for kicks. 

@dermonster:  Yeah, that was a mandate that got lost in the shuffle.  I’ve picked out a spot to put it.  It’ll be constructed among all the other projects coming up in the New Year. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Done.  It’s a shame that you can’t control what gets dyed.  Good point about Triaxx’s system.  Drawbridges do behave exactly opposite from doors and floodgates don’t they? Thanks for the reminder!

@Triaxx: I look forward to seeing it.  Oh, btw which magma pipe at the third cave level did you want to set up shop over?  There are three different pipes open to the third cave level.  One right by the secured cave entrance, one directly south of that and then one over on the east side of the map. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:00:19 pm by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 118