Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289321 times)

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #600 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:56 pm »

Omen's Journal, 15th of Malachite, 315

I did it!  I was able to sneak over to the cages to check out the animals.  There's a big cat there!   I think I can convince Cog to let me tame it.  I wonder if I can tame other stuff?  Huh, well that's another thing to think about when I actually become an adult.

Oh, and Cog also finished up another big construction.  We're going to have magma to light and heat the halls.  Cog sure is a genius.

Omen's Journal, 2nd of Galena, 315

I can't wait till I grow up.  then I'll get to train and get to explore.  I'll get to have TONS of awesome pets and we'll go anywhere we want!  Maybe I'll even get to fight giant beasts like Derm does.  though . . . now that I think about it, it would be much more awesome to train it.  Just think if I could ride around on a giant scorpion!  Those silly dwarves back at the mountains wouldn't mess with us then!

Oh, and I think there is even more construction planned.  I'm not really into that stuff, but it looks like we'll be able to make pretty much anything soon.  Our home is the best place ever.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:45 pm »

Events of the 13th of Galena, 315

Derm was not a social dwarf by nature.  He much preferred the quiet of the caverns.  While waiting for the rest of the second cave level to be open to him, he wandered down to the third cave level just for a break. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The peace and quiet of the deepest caves was refreshing. 

Cog's Journal, 16th of Galena 315

It’s the middle of summer so of course the human caravan has arrived.  For whatever reason, they arrived in the middle of the hillside up behind the fortress and will have to go all the way around the new defensive trench.  I’ll be dispatching the hammerdwarves and marksdwarves this year.  The marksdwarves will be able to get in position faster to cover their approach while the hammerdwarves take the long way around. 

I’d really hate to see an ambush this year.  Even if they don’t tend to bring huge quantities of materials we desperately need anymore. 

Cog's Journal, 28th of Galena 315

The caravan made it in to our secure area without incident.  It was impressive how quickly our soldiers can move now; the caravan wasn’t even a 10th of the way to the gates when our soldiers go out there. 

On another not, Kezan the Mechanic’s fourth child was born today.  I’m sure he has his hands full with four daughters now! 

Cog's Journal, 7th of Limestone 315[/i]

The humans rarely have much to offer that we need these days, but we still make an effort to trade with them.  We purchased all the metal, booze and berries they had and in return gave them enough masterwork goblets to quadruple the value of the goods they were carrying.  Their trade saw us through lean times, and they get their well deserved rewards now.  Besides, if the humans can get the wealth of Towersoared through trade, they'll probably be less likely to feel the need to attack to get it.

Events of the 11h of Limestone, 315

Comp wiped his brow and then surveyed his home with no small amount of satisfaction.  It had taken a while, but at long last he had a nice peaceful place to call his own in the caves of Towersoared.  There was some danger of creatures coming up out of the empty lake nearby but the water was still draining out, making it impossible for masons to work in the area. 

Now it was time for one of his primary purposes down here.  He grabbed his hoe and headed out to till the soil of the caves and prepare to establish a farm.  Soon he would have to bring a stock of seeds down here as well.  But for now, the peace of working the soil would suffice. 

He was well on his way to finishing the first field when he heard the sound, across the remnants of the still draining lake. 

The beast was moving fast, straight towards the fortress already.  He quickly called his dogs and made a beeline for his safehouse.  His dog's weren't fast enough to join him, he hoped they would be safe.  He heard it splashing around in the lake, confused by the continuously flowing water.  Then Comp heard a reassuring sound.  The sound of steel armor moving quickly.  The military had arrived. 

Derm the Soulchopper was ready for battle.  He'd taken out a beast of fire with minimal injuries, a fire breathing monster should be even easier he reasoned.  So naturally, he charged into battle without the slightest hesitation.  He dove straight in, teeth gnashing, biting the creature before it even knew he was there, but the creature shook and quickly broke loose.

The shell was going to be a problem, so Derm focused in on that.  He tore at the shell with Akmeshitat, and kicked at it trying to knock it loose.  All the while, the sluggish beast missed him repeatedly.  He gave it a sharp kick in the mouth as it tried to bite him, and the force of his kick tore the muscles of the beasts mouth.  Finally, he got a good sharp hack in and sent the beast's shell flying. 

With it's soft body exposed, the rest of the battle was easy.  He kicked and hacked at the creature, tearing muscle and skin.  Finally, with a couple sharp kicks to the body, the creature shuddered and dropped to the ground dead.  The last two hits had bruised the beast's heart and brain. 

Spoiler: The Battle Report (click to show/hide)

Derm sighed.  The lobster had been far more interesting to fight.  At least it fought back a bit.  This thing mostly just sat there and took it.  Strangely enough, it hadn't even used it's fire breath.  He wandered back to the fort, yelling the all clear to Comp on the way past. 

OOC: Another day, another forgotten beast!  Derm really doesn't socialize with anybody from what I've seen, even when he has the opportunity. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light: Well it's more like just being carved, but the mining crew does work fast!  You've been making clear glass windows for the dining hall lately. 

@Indricotherium: Sadly, the beast didn't produce any web for you to harvest.  But you've got a nice stock of spider silk and even some giant cave spider silk thread and cloth.  Do you want to enlist the assistance of a dyer to color your cloth, or would Indri prefer pure white silk? 

@Omen: So what I'm going to do is make cougars and other exotic animals war tameable so they can be assigned to dwarves.  I can have Omen assigned as the primary animal tamer when he's not in training after he grows up.  Sadly, I can't assign pets of any sort to children, but I can chain one of the already tame cougars in Omen's room.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:31:44 pm by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 14, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »

I am now so badass that forgotten beasts just line up for the honor of being killed by me.

Either that or they've realized the futility of it all and set me up as some sort of god of suicide and are offering themselves as sacrifices.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2011, 07:02:53 am »

...collapsing a section of desert down into the center of the future glassworks sand storage area...

I just did this on one of my test forts, and the sand became loam when it landed about 3 z-levels down (this is DF3.18, BTW), but I guess that's just me. Can anyone else verify this?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:25:14 am by Abyss, Holder of Light »
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:39 am »

Posting to follow. I'd love to be dwarfed if there are any spots open, too. :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 15, 2011, 11:30:28 am »

...collapsing a section of desert down into the center of the future glassworks sand storage area...

I just did this on one of my test forts, and the sand became loam when it landed about 3 z-levels down (this is DF3.18, BTW), but I guess that's just me. Can anyone else verify this?

Dropped soil floors turn into the lowest soil layer of the biome. I'm not sure if it happens with walls.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 15, 2011, 02:16:59 pm »

@Indricotherium: Sadly, the beast didn't produce any web for you to harvest.  But you've got a nice stock of spider silk and even some giant cave spider silk thread and cloth.  Do you want to enlist the assistance of a dyer to color your cloth, or would Indri prefer pure white silk? 
Indri is all in on colored silks as well as original white. By all means have him create what is needed for the fort. If no-one puts an order in he'll start in on cloaks (the all in one clothing/armor/bedding item!) once he's stocked up enough thread and cloth.

Indri's Journal, 6th of Galena 315
There was nothing to find down there. I'm just going to have to let it go. Still, I have lots and lots of spidersilk, cave and giant. Time to get cracking! Shuttlecock here I come!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 15, 2011, 04:02:27 pm »

Binged it in two days. Awesome fortress. Can I get Dwarfed here?

Name: Triaxx
Job: Miner/Sword-dwarf.

Has a rousing battlecry of 'Attack!'. Tends to fall down when mining. Enjoys spelunking, fighting Troglodytes. Likes to Engrave.

Inspired by Derm and Comp, wants to build hanging tower in caverns.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 15, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

Quick question about clothes for dwarfs. I know with the squad stuff that you could force groups to wear specific clothes, but are you able to force an individual dwarf to wear specific clothing? Perhaps by putting them in a squad by themselves and having that squad ordered to wear a specific set of clothes and colors?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 15, 2011, 10:09:03 pm »

Cog's Journal, 12th of Limestone, 315

The skill of our military never ceases to amaze me, but Derm really does take the cake.  He's killed yet another forgotten beast.  I may actually have to ask him to stand back a bit during the next goblin siege so the rest of the military can get some much needed experience. 

Still, it's refreshing to know we're so safe. 

Events of the 16th of Limestone, 315

Zon Zuntiruzlir had long been a hauler.  It was fortunate that there was so much work for him to do here, but he was slightly unhappy that he never got a chance to develop any skills.  Finally, he decided that he should make something.  But it should be kept a secret, nobody would know until it was done. 

Cog's Journal, 22nd of Limestone, 315

Another dwarf entered my office to request a name change today.  He's the second miner in recent months to choose a new name. 

Spoiler: Rushmik the Miner (click to show/hide)

Personally, I suspect it may have something to do with the orthoclase table artifact he created a few months back while possessed.  Rushmik commented about the noise near his room keeping him awake.  I'll have to figure out where his room is and get back to him about  that. 

On another personnel matter, I believe Indri would work well with a dyer.  Colors would enhance his cloth immensely.  However, I have noticed something odd.  I checked through the records two times.  Not a single dwarf in Towersoared has knowledge about dyes beyond mere dabbling.  Whoever takes on the task will have to train up from scratch.  This will require consideration. 

Cog's Journal, 8th of Sandstone, 315

Zon Zuntiruzlir came to the dining hall today carrying a stunning creation.  He crafted a headscarf out of leather and decorated it in a most impressive manner.  Two of our previous artifacts are detailed on this item which is worth 58,000 Urists!

It's a shame leather production is so low in the fortress.  We really don't have much work for him to do with his new talent as a Legenday Tanner.

Cog's Journal, 14th of Sandstone, 315

This could suck:

This beast causes me serious concern.  I'm not sure if our cave defenses can handle this creature if it is able to fly.  I'm dispatching Derm to handle it and archers to cover him.  It's already very close to our fortress entrance, but I've ordered the bridge sealed.  I believe this one may go to the archers, I hear it is lighting things on fire just by proximity. 

Derm was pretty badly burned by the last fire beast; I don't think he has to prove anything against this one.  I'll arrange an archer trap for this one.  They could use the practice anyhow. 

Cog's Journal, 15th of Sandstone, 315

Well that went well and poorly simultaneously.  In fact, it was very nearly tragic.  As planned, I dispatched the marksdwarves and opened the gates temporarily to lure the monster.  What didn't go according to plan was Adker mis-hearing the orders.  The instant the drawbridges were down, Adker went running out the front door, crossbow in hand.  We thought for sure he was done for.  But instead the crosswbow squad observed this:

Word has it that the beast was sent flying through the air by the impact of that single bolt.  Adker has done his family proud.  What he lacks in quantity of kills, he makes up in quality!

Cog's Journal, 19th of Sandstone, 316

I suppose this makes Adker the exact opposite of Asmel.  The 16th child of Asmel and Vucar was born today.  Not that Asmel has any reason to be ashamed.  Zasit remains mayor and his eldest daughter is a legendary miner.  The rest of their children remain to be seen. But that's a side note.

I actually opened this book today to note that another wave of migrants has arrived.  Seven more dwarves have arrived.  One is a capable furnace operator and another is a fairly able mechanic.  The rest are unskilled and will form a 6th hauling crew. 

According to these dwarves, they are the last migration we'll probably see for some time.  Things have gone from bad to worse at mountain-home and the nobles have still been intimidating the other civilians into staying away from Towersoared.  Or they've been drafted into the military.  Either way, I think these last dwarves slipped out when the nobles weren't looking.  In fact, one of the recent migrants is a former soldier who says he came here to avoid being drafted, having heard that the military here was more than capable. 

OOC: Well, that went well.  One shot, and boom the silly creature was dead.  Granted, it was a tick so I suspect it wasn’t that dangerous, except for the fire. 

@dermonster: It certainly does seem they are coming here to die.  There have been a lot of these beasts and most of them are pretty wussy.  This latest one seemed to have nastier fire than the last one.  During alternate universe testing, killing it caused you to melt into a puddle pretty consistently. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light: I haven't seen it happen personally, but this is my first shot at dropping sand into the depths.  My map only has the one soil layer, so it shouldn't be an issue.  Worse comes to worst, I'll just add the [SAND] tag to whatever soil type the dropped material magically transforms into. 

@Rushmik: Your dwarf is posted above, one of the fortress's legendary mining dervishes and created of an artifact table a few updates back!  Welcome aboard! 

@Urist Imiknorris: No idea, but it might be worth testing someday.

@Indricotherium: Sounds good.  I cannot believe it, but there isn't a single dwarf with the dye application skill in the entire fortress. 

@Triaxx2: Glad you've enjoyed the read!  You certainly can get dwarfed here, but there are complications to your request.  I've sent you a private message detailing some options for you.

@Syntic: In fact it's not an issue at all to assign weapons, armor and clothing individually to each dwarf in a squad.  You can assign uniforms to an entire squad and then individual character items to each member.  When in the equipment section of the military screen, just go down the list of squad members and toggle to that members uniform.  You can then tweak their gear separately from everyone else.  That's how I assigned the artifact items to specific dwarves by using the “Assign specfic Item” option. 

In fact, if I recall correctly, you and your squad as captain of the guard was supposed to be equipped with emerald colored clothing.  I don't know if that ever happened, so I'll have to remedy that ASAP! 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 15, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »

Journal of Urist Imiknorris, Sandstone 315

You know, working with stone for all these years is fun, but I'd like to change jobs for a bit. If Indri's looking for a dyer and nobody in Towersoared has any skill, why not try my hand at it? I'll talk to Cog tomorrow and see if that would work out.

EDIT: Can I see my relationships screen? Oh yeah, it was right back there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:47:25 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:07 am »

Journal of Rushmik, Sandstone 315

The page is caked in dirt

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 16, 2011, 08:08:35 am »

I'm glad to see this fort has been resurrected. :) Still a fun read, and a big inspiration.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:05 am »

Glad you came out of it,battlecat ._.
I am a Goober.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2011, 12:02:13 pm »

Cog's Journal, 8th of Timber, 315

Today is another good day.  The first phase of one of the outdoor structures by the dining hall is nearly complete.  Some of the work that is complete means we can start removing the scaffolding that has been surrounding the building for many years now. 

I'm giving these orders particularly carefully, wouldn't want anyone to think they should remove the bottom steps first.  There's no risk of collapse, but it could leave someone stranded halfway up if we're not careful.  This is a job the children of the fortress tend to enjoy participating in.  I suppose destruction does appeal to youth today.

Another thing, Urist Imiknorris unexpectedly came to request the dyer's job.  When I inquired, she said that it was time for a break from stone.  I can't blame her; work has been a bit dull lately.  Most of the masonry work has been building construction rather than statue carving.  We have an over-supply of masonry products.  Things should pick up in the future, but change is always good.  I'll have the workshop space carved out for her shortly. 

Cog's Journal, 10th of Timber, 315

I had a visit today from our newly arrived mechanic.  He told me to ignore what was on his travel papers from mountainhome, he apparently prefers to go by the name Triaxx.  He informed me that the three legendary mechanics here had his profession of choice pretty much sewn up, and he would prefer to take on a new vocation.  When I asked him which vocation, he was waffling between joining the sworddwarves and the miners.  Finally, he asked if he could do both.  I don’t see an issue with that and told him to go grab his gear and join Catten’s squad during their next training period. 

Spoiler: Triaxx the Sworddwarf (click to show/hide)

Cog's Journal, 13th of Timber, 315

The dwarven caravan arrived today.  I've dispatched Catten and her squad to greet them.  Derm and the archers will be waiting just inside the gate in case of emergency. 

I guess this means the liaison can't be far behind.  I'm not looking forward to the meeting this year. 

Events of the 13th of Timber, 315

Thob Farashthob was a fisherdwarf who had recently and unexpectedly been promoted to liaison.  Thob was quite excited by the prospect of getting out of Mountain home and into the world.  Especially since the lakes of mountainhome were depleted of fish.  Actually, about as depleted as the diplomacy corps it seemed.  Thob shivered for a moment and wondered where all the liaisons had gone.  Surely he wouldn't meet the same fate.   

But then he was distracted by the carvan's arrival in Towersoared.  Unable to wait for the sluggish donkeys pulling their massive load of gmestones, he dashed out ahead of the caravan to get a closer look.  It was even more beautiful than the rumors had told.  A massive green glass dome arching over the desert.

As he stood there, some heavily armed and armored dwarves dashed by and out towards the caravan.  They pretty much ignored him as they went by.  Good grief they were fast.  He quickly turned his attention back to the fortress.   

He was certain the inside would be even better.  Now he just had to find Cog and the mayor so he could deliver the letters from the King.  He was sure the letters would be very enthusiastic and complimentary; he like many others had seen the king’s ransom the traders had brought back for the king last year.  And so he enthusiastically dashed into Towersoared to look for the leaders . . .

Cog's Journal, 8th of Moonstone, 315

What joy!  They brought over 45,000 Urists worth of gemstones.  Finally, we can get the dining room mural back on track!  The only real downside is that it's been such a busy year, we had to cart most of the goods to the trade depot individually.  We just barely finished trading before the trade master let me know that they would have to leave soon!  I've assigned the new Crew VI to item hauling.  Hopefully they'll be able to keep the workshops tidier. 

All in all, a good season though.  We also picked up some various metals including 6 stacks of platinum and two several chests of spider silk cloth that I'm sure Indri will appreciate.  Now for probably the less pleasant part of the season.  I gather the liaison is chasing Zasit around the fortress trying to arrange the meeting.  I figure we'll keep him busy running around for a few weeks, just out of spite. 

For one last note while I'm still calm, I should report that Derm is at long last returning to the third cave level.  The masons finally finished installing the bridge across the water blocking access to the rest of the cave. 

Events of the 17th of Moonstone, 315

Derm cursed in frustration.  These new caverns were lovely, but impossible to navigate.  The latest barrier was a solid rock cliff.  Through a crack in the wall he could see more land to explore, but a miner would be necessary to clear the pathway through. 

Derm turned and headed back to the fortress to enlist some mining talent. 

Cog's Journal, 18th of Moonstone, 315

At last!  The miners have reached the ground floor level of the South Industrial Hallway.  Very soon the new glassworks will be in place.  It's so exciting; I've included the excavation blueprints for the glassworks.  It should be right up there with the rest of the industrial quarters. 

Additionally, the first steel items for our militia are coming off the line.  The first squad to be organized is the Stoneworkers, lead by Urist Imiknorris.  To start, they will be equipped with steel low boots, a chain shirt and leggings and a weapon of their choice.  Urist Imiknorris immediately grabbed a steel battle axe as her weapon.  Further equipment will be at the discretion of the squad leader of course.  Especially once we have a solid stock of dyed cloth. 

Next I'll be getting the miners organized.  I've posted word that any who wants to be exempt should contact me asap. 

Wow, this day is just full of side notes.  The lake that breached abruptly is finally safe enough to walk in, although it is still draining slowly.  I've ordered the two wood cutters to chop down all the mushroom trees at the bottom of the lake rather than wasting the wood.  We can make a large quantity of charcoal and ash from the trees there. 

Cog's Journal, 21st of Moonstone, 315

These things really are suicidal.  Seems like less than a year between visits lately.  At this point, I'm really wondering how many forgotten beasts one dwarf can kill before his luck runs out.  Derm is already on his way.  I've sealed the cave entrance point until he gets there. 

Hope the pair of stingers on this one isn't too much of a problem for Derm. 

OOC: Good thing I'm killing these beasts as fast as they arrive.  The caves would get awfully crowded very fast otherwise. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Sounds good, I’ll have you to off to work as soon as the dyer’s workshop is carved out!  You're still the chief stoneworker though but I'll only toggle you back to masonry when there is no other work for you to do. 

@Rushmik: Heh!

@Korva: Same here, glad you enjoy it!

@magmaholic: Indeed, worst game ever that you have no choice about playing!  I’m glad to be back to normal as well.  Btw, in case you missed it, I posted a revisit of your dwarf on the previous page.  He is wielding the artifact bone shield and bone hammer right now.

@Triaxx2: Done, your dwarf is introduced above!  He’ll be going into basic training right away and he’ll also have a pick in hand.  So, a hanging tower home in one of the cave layers?  Did you have a spot in mind?  All three cave layers as currently explored are visible on the DFMA.  One possibility would be to suspend the tower over one of the exposed magma pipes on level 3.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:45:11 pm by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 118