Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289202 times)

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #570 on: March 08, 2011, 03:09:28 pm »

Diary's of Rashem 3rd of Grantie, 315

Well once again our marksdwarfs prove them-selfs worthy warriors. The latest forgotten beast was taken down before it could even reach the the prison. On another note Catten (our sworddwarf leader) has proven herself as well, single handedly slaughtering most of a goblin ambush. (this section seems to be written almost absentmindedly) Wonder why the keep throwing them-selfs at our superior might? It can't be for the riches here can it? Who ever heard of goblins liking treasure? Must figure this out. Maybe I can convince Cog to let my leave for awhile to study the goblins.
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2011, 03:19:20 pm »

I am not willing to let him die.

Okay fine, dust beasts are ceiling or marksdwarves only. Anything that causes rotting is ceiling only. Test gas and deadly blood beasts for syndromes before decisions.

I read somewhere that some take upwards of 3 years to manifest though.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »

Wrong cavern.The salamander is in the first one, the webs are in the second.

You know I wondered about that but then again figured Indri wouldn't necessarily know if he'd never been to the saverns.  :)
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 09, 2011, 11:17:41 am »

dCog's Journal, 9th of Granite, 315

Well the beast is several days dead now from Adker's bolt.  The goblin ambush is gone thanks to Catten.  The miners are out at work on the next phase of the security trench.  The masons are back to work on actual outdoor construction and the mechanics are putting the finishing touches on the entrance to the middle cave level. 

But today I have particularly special news.  Today I'm happy to report that we actually have more bedrooms commissioned than there are dwarves in this fortress.  There’s never been a shortage of beds per say, but a lot of dwarves, especially the children have been relegated to the dormitory.  But that changes today.  Every individual here, right down to the newest baby now have an assigned room.  And there is still space to spare although the beds haven’t been installed yet.  If the migrants I “requested” last winter show up, we'll need more space and we’ll be able to supply it easily!

Looks like this is going to be a good year.  Maybe we can even get the rest of the dining hall finished. 

Cog's Journal, 15th of Granite, 315

Rashem came by my office today to inquire about goblin behavior.  Apparently he's quite curious about why goblins are constantly coming after us and would like to investigate.  Personally, I've always assumed they were greedy creatures looking for wealth or our artifacts.  However, I believe this is a reasonable request, although I would like him to stay on as a Sworddwarf as well.  There are plenty of goblins available in the fortress anyhow.  There are two large storage rooms full of goblins in cages in Old Towersoared. 

Heck, if he wants, he can even have a custom job title since he'll be doing some non military work to pass the time. 

Cog's Journal, 8th of Slate, 315

Our butcher finally finished processing Moslo's corpse.  We have a large quantity of materials from him now.  146 meat, 93 fat and 138 bones.  I sure hope it tastes decent!

I’m still going over the files of various dwarves in the fortress.  Today Dragonshardz’s file came to the top of the pile.  He’s been invaluable as an engraver in our fortress and many of the masterworks in the spiral stair are his work.  I believe I’m overdue to commission some new art.  I think the industrial halls could use some sprucing up once the engraving crew finishes smoothing the last of the bedrooms. 

We've also got that silver lined skylight planned.  But that won't kick off until the miners finish the defensive trench works.  The trench isn't a perfect defense but it does limit the number of directions sieges can approach from.  In the long run it'll also give us a place we can cut off their retreat.  Far too many goblins have been escaping to report our strength, that has to change. 

Cog's Journal, 16th of Slate, 315

Today is a very special day.  Today Thob Adilkod has officially become an adult.  Thob is the first child who was born in this fortress, born to Asmel and Vucar shortly after they arrived here.  And today he gets the dubious honor of actually joining the workforce.  He hasn't shown any particular interest or vocation so for now he will start by joining one of the hauling crews.   

Events of the 27th of Slate, 315

Rogue was working outside on the defensive trench.  It had been several quiet months of work and they had nearly reached the bottom of the mountain on the west side of the fortress.  Then a simple trench around the outside and they would be effectively protected. 

She paused as another section of rock fell away, wiped her brow and looked out at the desert below.  She squinted and gestured at Bennet who was standing nearby on guard.  “Bennet, are there some people out in the desert?”  Bennet looked out at the 10 figures coming across the desert and then replied, “I think Cog got his migrants.  I sure hope they aren't bringing any trouble.”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cog's Journal, 28th of Slate, 315

Migrants!  Hard to believe but here they are.  I'll be meeting with them once they're settled in.  They certainly look like they've had a rough time of travel though.  I'll have to ask about the state of mountainhome during the interviews.  There was some muttering about unrest and increased goblin activities.  Honestly, with the lack of actual commerce and work at mountainhome, there must be a huge number of dwarves in the slums or homeless.  I'll have none of that here. 

I really hope none of these migrants are here to betray us and the goals of our home here.  Here is the list of arrivals:

1 Talented Butcher (Male)
      1 Talented Blacksmith (Female)
      1 Accomplished Gem Setter (Female)
      7 Effectively unskilled dwarves

I've assigned all of them to hauling crews or as furnace operators for the moment until I get a better feel for what their interests are.  I'll have to confirm but I think the butcher will be very helpful.  Right now our Tanner is doubling as our butcher and I think another set of hands will be very useful as we get meat production going. 

One of the unskilled dwarves assigned as a furnace operator seems to be slightly more ambitious than average.  I think I'll have to have a meeting with him soon. 

Spoiler: Crifmer the Migrant (click to show/hide)

This migration is particularly lucky; getting them assigned to rooms is going to be as simple as actually getting their beds installed.  We actually have space to spare!  I sure hope more dwarves are coming soon. 

OOC:  Finally, a new migrant wave! And what does it say about a fortress when children born here are actually growing up? 

@Crifmer: It's been a long time coming, but you have your dwarf!  He's pretty much a blank slate who will be working on the furnaces until you decide on a goal for him.  Mountainhome is in a bit of turmoil, in part due to the threats sent by Cog with the caravan.  Also there have been goblin problems. 

@Rashemd: The really scary thing about Adker is he still hasn't even reached Legendary Marksdwarf Status!  As for your dwarf's request, it sounds good, I can always use some more ideas about goblin motivations, especially considering some stuff that's coming down the pipe.  If you want a custom title, just make sure it's one that will sound good in combat reports!

@dermonster: I'll use my judgment beast by beast then.  Cog (and by extension myself) is fairly conservative with risking dwarven lives, which does work to offset Derm's “enthusiasm”.  Derm will certainly remain my primary megabeast chopper though. 

@Indricotherium: It works for me!  I'll probably have you working in multiple cave levels anyhow. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 09, 2011, 11:53:10 am »

OOC:  Finally, a new migrant wave! And what does it say about a fortress when children born here are actually growing up?

Many good things.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 09, 2011, 12:57:11 pm »

I had to register just to let you know I've been following.  What an awesome fortress!

If possible, I'd love to be dwarfed.  Any children who are about to grow up (sex unimportant) would be great!  Name: Omen, and job if possible wrestler and explorer.  Probably have to train quite a bit before exploring would be survivable.  Quirks?  Loves to have dangerous pets. 

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:33 pm »

Syntic's Journal:

Today we welcome some new migrants to the fortress. Today I begin keeping an eye on these new dwarfs to see if any are here to cause problems. One dwarf I'm especially cautious about is this Crifmer, simply because he has the name crime right in his name. Another that I'll have to be sure to keep an eye on is that blacksmith. She might have been sent to find out how well armed the dwarfs here are, and possibly sabotage our weapons and armor. But I can't let my suspicions get the best of me, all the new dwarfs need to be watched and it may be that none of them are trouble makers.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 09, 2011, 04:27:58 pm »

Dairy's of Rashem 17th of Granite, 315

Had a talk with Cog today. He seems willing to let my solve the mysteries of the goblins, and even reminded my of all the caged goblins up in old Towersoared. I had forgotten about them.

(mhh must think about this, maybe set up a small room in old towersoared with some chains and traction benchs, mumbles so self.)
Rashem the Heron-marked
brownie points if you now what book series thats from.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 09, 2011, 05:27:19 pm »

Yay!  Dwarfed!!

I'll do some in-character stuff soon.  I think a general metalworker with an artistic bent is good.  He'll be interested in making anything and everything in metal.  Weapons, armor, furniture, crafts, the artsier the better.

If he gets a bedroom, can he make his own (metal) furniture?  Just whatever can be made with metal.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 09, 2011, 05:45:48 pm »

Rashemd: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. The Heron-mark is the sign of a master swordsman.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »

OOC: Seems like a good day for a second post.  This is a long one! 

Cog's Journal, 9th of Granite, 315

Well having pieced together the news from mountain home, I must say I’m glad to be here and not there.  Apparently unemployment remains rampant due a government moratorium on new projects.  Food production is about the only form of employment that provides a reliable income.  From the sounds of things that’s going to change, although not in a good way.  Apparently recent military action by the goblins severely depleted the mountain home military, so I gather a lot of civilians are going to be drafted into the military to make up the losses.  According to these recent immigrants, the moratorium on migration here was lifted but minimal numbers are slipping out with the draft in place. 

Apparently my little ultimatum didn’t go over so well, the nobility is fuming.   But the King and nobility couldn’t justify restricting trade and travel here after the offering was delivered. 

My biggest worry in hearing this is the issue with the mountain home military.  While they aren’t nearly as skilled as our soldiers here, goblins have never been a problem in the past.  I wonder what has changed, and whether it will impact us.  I wonder if the goblins have come up with some new tactics or what.  The migrants really didn’t know for sure, military secrets at mountain home being what they are. 

I’ve been half considering establishing a militia program that would see everyone in the fortress assigned to a military squad for one month of training out of the year, just so everyone is capable of basic self defense and possibly even wearing armor.  We probably have more than enough metal to accomplish that goal.  I’ll have to bounce the idea of military training off my fellow dwarves; I don’t want to force anyone into military training if they don’t want it. 

Cog's Journal, 15th of Granite, 315

Syntic came by to assure me that he’s keeping a close eye on the newcomers.  He expressed some concern about Crifmer but at this stage we have nothing specific to go on.  I’m pretty concerned about the risk all the migrants pose although I truly hope they all are solid upstanding dwarves.  For Crifmer’s part, during our meeting he expressed an interest in metalworking. 

Actually no, it sounded more like an obsessive dream.  Either way, he sounds like an artist to me.  I’ll get him apprenticed to Minkot Voderith right away.  Production of silver blocks for the skylight will be a good place for him to start acquiring the basic skills.  For now I’ve assigned him to a basic room, but I suspect he’ll be producing his own furniture to replace the stone. 

Two others that stand out as notable are Oddom Sigunzalud and Morul Berdalzat.  They are the only married couple to arrive with this migration.  They don’t have any children yet; according to Oddom, mountainhome is no place for children right now.  There’s always room for more children here.   

Events of 14th of Felsite, 315

Zaneg the Miner was absolutely done with working out in the sun.  It was a necessary job but seriously, it had been several long months of work outdoors.  He was tired of it.  But as he plodded along outdoors, suddenly something occurred to him.  Maybe he could make something.  Suddenly he stood up and charged off to the fortress.  It had to be built, quickly before he lost the vision. 

He shouted at the arriving Elves as he ran by.  “I’ve got it, I’ve got it!  It will be glorious!”

Cog's Journal, 16th of Felsite, 315

So two pieces of unexpected news today.  First the Elves have arrived and secondly, Zaneg the Miner has been inspired by something.  He came charging inside today and claimed an unused mason’s workshop.  I sure hope he doesn’t want shells. 

Also, I continued looking over personnel files.  Today Martini’s worksheet came across my desk.  In spite of his slightly spacey demeanor, he’s been attaining a very high level of skill as a bonecarver.  The only thing that’s slowed him down has been the shortage of useable bones in our fortress, an insane thing considering the number of dead goblins.  Apparently taking apart goblins to make crafts is inappropriate or something. 

On the bright side, our butcher has been busy making materials for him to work with.  Lately he’s been decorating random stuff with bone.  Apparently he’s been a bit sad since his dog passed away from old age this winter. 

Spoiler: Martini, Spring 315 (click to show/hide)

I also pulled out the file for Iteb Zonshar, the woodworker who came with me at the very beginning.  Iteb has been hard at work producing wood products for us, although the limited supply of wood has been a problem for his creativity until recently.  Lately he’s been producing all manner of colorful beds and bins as well as cutting down trees on occasion.  I suspect he’ll be outfitting his room with all wood materials in the near future. 

Apparently he still holds that grudge against Catten from the very first days here.  I still recall that argument over the qualities of wood vs stone between them on the journey here.  Oy, I’d better make sure that Crifmer doesn’t get involved in this one.

Cog's Journal, 28th of Felsite, 315

Today Zaneg Kubuksanad the Miner completed his project.  It is a very impressive orthoclase table.  I estimate its value at 39,000 Urists.  He even managed to obtain some goblin bone for decoration. 

Trading with the Elves went about as well as usual.  They brought loads of booze and lots more berries and plants that we can also turn into good booze.  Plus we got a few new animals for breeding including another grizzly bear and a wolf.  Not terribly exciting but variety is the spice of life! 

Finally just to wrap up the day, I had an unexpected visit from Omen Egencog.  Omen is the fourth born child of Asmel and Vucar and will be turning 12 next year.  He is far more ambitious than his brother Thob and would like to begin training as a wrestler as soon as he comes of age. 

Spoiler: Omen Egencog the Child (click to show/hide)

I’ve made a few notes in his file for reference and we’ll revisit his assignment when he turns 12.  He’s been a responsible child all these years; I get along quite well with him and I’m glad to see him taking an interest in his future.  Someday, I’ll have to ask him why he hates Sazir Tishisamost the Marksdwarf so much, they really don’t get along for some reason. 

OOC: So what do you think?  I've started organizing dwarves into squads regardless just so I can put some shoes on their feet due to the current bugs.  The question is, should I put everyone into basic military training? 

@Urist Imiknorris: Glad to hear it! 

@Omen: Welcome to the forums and to Towersoared!  Your dwarf is the fourth child of Asmel and Vucar.  He’ll come of age in about one year or so.  It just fit with their third child being relegated to the hauling corps.  I’ll have to see what I can do about dangerous pets.  We’ve got a fair number of tame animals thanks to the Elves, including black and grizzly bears!

The really interesting part that I didn’t notice when I initially selected him: He’s actually friends with Cog, so his request makes perfect sense!

@Syntic: Good to hear Syntic is on the job.  It might be worth keeping an eye on married couples that arrive.  I suspect a noble wouldn’t arrive without a consort. 

@Rashemd: Sounds good.  We’ve got lots of empty space up there.  I just need to make sure it’s not a room that’s going to get sealed off and flooded.  Maybe the old dormitory/hospital would work.  The title is from Wheel of Time as dragonshardz mentioned.  Congratulations on your new title! 

@Crifmer: Yay indeed!  Am I correct in interpreting that you want to be a Jack of All trades for metalworking?  You’ve got a room already with stone furniture; it can be replaced with your own works later.  Heh, I can start you off with some low quality stuff and replace them with masterworks in the future.  I’ll leave furnace operating off, it’s not terribly artistic and we have unclaimed dwarves for that.   

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:31 pm »

I'm fine with having a weapon in my hands.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:26 pm »

I've little to gain from conventional training anymore, I could teach a thing or two.

Any changes on my relationship screens?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:33:28 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:55 pm »

Rashemd: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. The Heron-mark is the sign of a master swordsman.
Hurray for WoT!
also i would not mind military training assuming i can have the heaviest warhammer in the fort... to pound gears into place... and skulls
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 10, 2011, 07:46:34 am »

Brownie points for you! Love that series.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 118