Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289198 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #555 on: March 07, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Moonstone, 314

On a brighter note than the last few weeks, Vucar and Amsel are parents once again.  This one is their 15th child.  If we don’t get any new migrants, I can at least rest assured that our fortress will continue in spite.  We have 37 children in the fortress now and that doesn’t include the two grown children of Vucar and Amsel.

Also, I’ve had our weaver in recently asking about the possibility of setting up to start gathering webs from the various caverns.  I think it’s a great idea.  I think the best bet will be to establish a loom for him at each of the cave levels within the secure zone.  That should save a lot of walking for web collection and thread manufacturing. 

Of course the miners are fairly busy with other projects like finishing up the bedroom blocks, but hopefully I’ll be able to get him up and running in the New Year.

Related to this conversation, Abyss the Glassmaker came by with the odd idea of trying to capture a giant cave spider.  I wasn’t clear if he wanted it as a pet or for farming silk, but either way, I think it might be doable.  I’ll get some cage traps installed at the cave entrances on each level to start and then I’ll look into branching out a bit. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Opal, 314

I just received word that Asmel Ustuthurol, one of the children of Bennet and has begun babbling and ran off unexpectedly from where his mother was working.  It sounds like another possession but we'll have to track him down to be sure. 

Cog’s Journal, 1st of Obsidian, 314

We still haven't located Asmel Ustuthurol, last we heard he went dashing through the masons workshops as if looking for something.  I only paused to make a journal entry today since Urist Imiknorris and Pawn's 6th child was born today.  They have 5 daughters now and 1 son.  I took a few minutes to review their files, thinking back on the early days when it was just the 7 of us here. 

Urist Imiknorris has been less busy of late since we overproduced on some stone products.  I've had her help with architectural work though with the pump and bridge installations lately.  I've been meaning to inquire if Urist Imiknorris is interested in going back to work as an engraver as well. 

Pawn has also had a relatively quiet few months but that's picking back up with the opening of the middle cave level by flint.  Pawn and his crew are quite busy installing the bridges and security trap mechanisms in preparation for opening it up permanently.

Ok, that's enough reminiscing for now; I'd better get back to the search. 

OOC: Things are continuing quite smoothly for Towersoared, even if one of our swarm of children is temporarily missing! Character revisits for Urist Imiknorris and Pawn today! 

@dermonster: I should be able to keep up the once per day updates for a while.  I’ve got a few in reserve from this weekend!  Glad you’re enjoying it, here's your fix for today.  :)

@Indricotherium: Your new dwarf is listed above.  I’ll be getting you started on web collection soon!   I plan on using burrows to control which caves you work in to improve efficiency. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light: I’d have to set up some cage traps in the caves.  It’s certainly an option and I can always either add the [tameable] tag to giant cave spiders or create a special silk farming facility for the GCS if I catch one. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 07, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Obsidian, 314

We finally found Asmel Ustuthurol.  He claimed Martini's craft shop over in near the bone storage area.  He already had a raw silver nugget on the bench and was heading out to grab more materials.  At least we know where he is now.

Today I went over Scaraban’s file to see what he had been working on.  Apparently his primary focus has still be securing the caves and setting up traps.  I’ve also heard some quiet rumors that Scaraban may be in a serious relationship with Zan Cudgelkindled, one of our two woodworkers. 

Spoiler: Scaraban, Obsidian 314 (click to show/hide)

Events of the 16th of Obsidian, 314

Comp was busily working away near his cave home, gathering up another load of logs to take up to the surface when he heard a rustling sound in the distance.  He looked around and walked to the edge of his safe zone.  Then he saw it. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another beast, and this one was dripping dust here and there as it moved.  Comp sighed.  Time to go sound the alarm again. 

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Obsidian, 314

Comp has reported the arrival of yet another forgotten beast. I've ordered everyone out of the caverns.  I really want to give Derm the chance to take this one down but my heart says it's a very bad idea.  In all the stories of legend, dust beasts are true killers and very few dwarves can stand against them. 

I think I'm going to insist on using the conservative plan.  For the moment, the first level of caverns is off limits. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Obsidian, 314

A beautiful thing was crafted today.  A trumpet of unbelievable quality and character.  And it's worth a fortune by my estimate.

Bennet will be proud I'm sure! 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Obsidian, 314

And today marks the end of another year!  It's been an eventful and frustrating year thanks to mountain home and of course we still have a beast stomping around in the depths.  I have high hopes that the next one will be far better.  As is my tradition, I'll be bringing the ledger and latest architectural drawings to the party tonight.

Architectural Drawings

I have several goals for the new year including getting started on construction of a new home for the military, finishing off the new outer moat and probably kicking off a few new projects. 

OOC: And that’s another year of Towersoared gone at last.  I had this ready to go so I figured it would be nice to get it posted rather than waiting until tomorrow.  Two posts in a row like this will be the exception, not the rule though!  I'm eager to get going on 315.  315 is going to be a busy year thanks to the improved defenses around the fort. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:23:12 pm by Battlecat »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 07, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »

I would indeed like to start engraving again.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »

Geez, I need to check back more often.

Have Comp engrave his home and area around. Then start farming.

Alternatively, have him set up another home in the third caverns, so he can collect the fungus/trees and all of the webs.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:05 pm »

Send down a mule, see what the dust actually does. Maybe its not lethal.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »

Or maybe send a bunch of animals and hope to get lucky.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »

The killer in me says pick a hand full of the more useless dwarfs have them all get good and drunk and then dare them to try to take on the forgotten beast... heck it would even give you a excuse to make the fortresses graveyard/tomb. Of course this isn't something Syntic would suggest, but hey something about sending some dwarfs to their doom always comes off as entertaining.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:48 pm »

Traitors and criminals? I don't think the Great Shale Boil-Off Incident was ever properly investigated.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »

I wonder what I'm currently doing in the fort...

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »

Can we see the FB page to see what dust it breathes off? Might give us a clue.
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 08, 2011, 07:17:56 am »

Deadly dust. It's always deadly dust.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:09 am »

Indri is packing his bag when he hears of the cave lockdown. "Awww, dwarf! I'll bet that thing just wants to keep all the webs for itself! They all do. The lovely, lovely webs.... so smooth.... They gotta do something about that thing before it wrecks the webs!!!"
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 08, 2011, 12:48:51 pm »

Wrong cavern.The salamander is in the first one, the webs are in the second.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »

Events of the 3rd of Granite, 315

Catten was heading out to the front of the fortress to make sure things were clear in preparation for this year’s outdoor mining projects.  She was just heading out the front door when she almost stumbled over a Kobold who was lurking at the entrance.  She charged in ferociously and knocked it to the ground.  Her sword was a blur as she rapidly dismantled the creature. 

Maybe this year would be even more interesting than the last.  She sheathed her sword and continued her way out front to meet her squad members.  Then she heard the sound of the gate traps going off.  It was an ambush and she was out here alone.  Perfect, at last she had a chance to compare her strength to Derm's!

She charged into battle, sword swinging with careful precision.  She immediately found herself in combat with the squad leader.  Before the macegoblin could even react, she dodged right past him and stabbed her sword straight through the goblins back.  A quick punch fractured the goblins upper leg before she took another stab straight into the goblins lung.  From there she very carefully and efficiently took the goblin apart, carefully stabbing it repeatedly in every part of the body.  It was almost too easy. 

Before she knew it, the goblin was dead.  At the death of their leader, the other goblins started to run.  But one stayed to fight and she took great pains to ensure his passing was a painful one.  She managed to remove an arm before stabbing her sword into its head for a killing blow.

Then she turned her attention to those that were fleeing.  She gave chase and managed to catch one more while the other escaped.  She truly unleashed hell on this third goblin, removing its arm with the first swing and its foot with the second.  Before she knew it, the goblin was on the ground dead and in pieces around her. 

She brushed her sword off and returned it to its sheath.  It had been a good day.  She idly wondered what was going on with the forgotten beast in the depths as she walked back to the front gate . . .

In the Depths: Adker had the perfect place to watch today.  They'd been on station down here for many days waiting for the inevitable arrival of the best.  As such, when the beast finally emerged from the lake and made a beeline for the entrance, he got the first shot off.  First one and then a quick second shot embedded themselves into the leg of the beast.

He dimly heard shouting up the shaft.  The plan was to close the drawbridge before the beast could reach them.  The frightening thing was that none of them really knew how fast Moslo was.  As it turned out, it was extremely fast.  Before they knew it, Moslo was halfway across the first bridge.  As Adker loaded his third bolt onto his bow, he thought about the damage this beast could do if it got upstairs.  He took careful aim at the beast and let the third bolt fly. 

With a terribly roar of agony, the beast collapsed to the ground.  The end of the bolt was sticking out of the creatures head.  He stared and notched a fourth, ready to shoot the beast.  But the beast wasn’t moving. 

Another threat to Towersoared had been abated. 

OOC:  Wow, this one prompted a lot of discussion.  I did some testing in an alternate universe after these events.  It wasn’t pretty for the dwarves who fought the beast; looks like this one rolled a powerful necrotic dust.  I tried the animal test before the fight; animals were just torn to shreds so they didn’t survive long enough to display any symptoms.  I wish there was a way to identify the syndrome without dwarves acting as guinea pigs. 

@Urist Imiknorris: Consider it done!  As for the traitors and criminals, we’ve never really satisfactorily determined who was responsible for the sabotage.  But the jail seems to have everyone fairly nervous what with the risk of being locked outside during a forgotten beast attack. 

@Comp112: I’ve been shooting for daily updates; once per week is just the minimal guarantee if my life gets crazy busy!  Always Comp is working as an engraver in his own little home now.  Most of the other engravers are in a separate burrow, so they won’t interfere and Comp’s burrow mostly doesn’t overlap with other active engraving work.  Did you want it smoothed and detailed with your own brand of pictures?

@dermonster: I cloned the save and sent Derm in for the test.  He died rapidly of rotten limbs right after he finished killing the beast.  I was reading up on the syndromes and you are right that the effects are random.  You willing to risk Derm being coated in blisters by one in the future? 

@Syntic: I’d agree with you, except for the shortage of useless dwarves.  There are still far more jobs than we have hands for.  None of our dwarves are bored, that’s for sure.  I do need to build a proper graveyard though; the temporary one in Old Towersoared just isn’t sufficent. 

@dragonshardz: I believe you’re still plugging away at smoothing and engraving the place.  There’s going to be a lot of stone detailing work in your near future.  I’ll look in on your dwarf in the next update or two.  By the way, I’ve almost got everything in place for that skylight project over the double helix stairway. 

@Abyss, Holder of Light:  The beast page has exactly what shows up on the initial announcement.  I really wish there was more info. 

@Indricotherium:  Nice, I’ll have you web gathering before you know it!  There are some webs in the first cave but the biggest supply is in the second level. 

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:08 pm »

Hooray!
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 118