Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 289424 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #465 on: October 09, 2010, 12:06:41 am »

At the very least, happy thoughts!

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 10, 2010, 05:11:35 am »

One night.
6 hours.
32 pages of epic reading.

Color me impressed. I like what you're doing here Battlecat!
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 12, 2010, 06:06:59 pm »

Journal of Catten

"I accidentally bumped someone in the hallway today. Otherwise things were uneventful"
Meowth! That's right!

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:45 am »

Journal of Rifotangrir

"Someone accidentally bumped me in the hallway today. Otherwise things were uneventful"
I am a Goober.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:42 am »

And we’re back!  Sorry for the delay!

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Opal, 313

Well that forgotten beast wasn’t even remotely a threat thanks to Derm.  That creature soul was well and truly chopped.  Now on to more important business.  I’ve given Comp the go ahead to chop down the trees around his living space in the caves.  It’s entirely possible the other woodcutters will be down there to give him a hand as well. Soon we’ll have some farms up and running down there. 

The Meatworks industrial area is open although there isn’t a lot of activity there yet.  At least most of our animals have been moved down out of the upstairs breeding area.  All the other animals still need to migrate down though.  So far we’ve got breeding pairs of both black and grizzly bears, both camel species and of course our regular livestock.  I’m still looking through our cages to see if any others are available.  But soon we’ll have a steady and varied supply of meat and bones.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The central room will eventually be our dedicated milking and cheese making area.  I’ve already got a dwarf interested in the job as well!  Bone storage and crafting will be on the north side, leather storage and crafting to the south.  Kitchens and stills are next and will be installed soon in the industrial area across the hall from the butchery. 

Also, once the miners finish their current tasks I’m putting them all on temporary engraving duty.  Digging has gotten way too far ahead of smoothing.  It’s time for the miners to take a break and let everyone else start catching up. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Opal, 313

Today I got a suggestion from Derm the Soulchopper of all people.  He’d like a pool so he could train his soldiers and others to swim.  With the dangerous channels of water that are being built around Towersoared, there’s a lot of logic to his idea.  He brought it up in the dining hall, so naturally a fantastic conversation about evolving the idea developed. 

Several ideas were thrown around including designs for a shower hallway that dwarves could use to clean themselves.  There’s not a dwarf that I know of that doesn’t enjoy a mist bath so I’ll have to look into building both ideas.  Granted, it’ll require mining time but since the miners are currently taking a break and helping the engravers I can easily reassign one crew to developing a bathing area and swimming pool.  I’ll have to ensure that the system is safe, wouldn’t want dwarves drowning or the fort flooding. 

Of course, unlike mountainhome, the dwarves who have migrated here seem to have excellent hygiene habits.  Despite being coated repeatedly in blood and vomit, our residents seem to take great pleasure in keeping themselves clean!

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Obsidian, 313

Today Ilral Asteshlaltur the mason came into the dining hall with a most incredible creation.  Apparently he’s been working in secret for several days now.  He built a bed out of stone. 

Amazing work as always even if the Hammerdwarf squad might find the name a little insulting.  I think it was meant to be rhetorical since there aren’t any images of Shorast getting injured on it.  The creativity of my fellow dwarves really never ceases to amaze me. 

OOC:  Seriously, I checked as many dwarves as I could after I saw the post about the bathing.  As it turns out, the dwarves here in Towersoared are fastidious about personal hygiene.  Not a single one has a speck of blood or vomit in their inventory, not even our soldiers.  It seems Derm runs a tight ship. 

@Urist Imiknorris: A very deep funeral indeed!  The mist will certainly provide happy thoughts and mist probably still cleans dwarves.  I like that design,  I’ll have to decide where to set that up, I don’t want too much mud in my core halls but I should be able to rig it up in some of the back hallways. 

@dermonster: I should be able to rig up a swimming pool.  If I recall correctly, 4 deep water is required to make dwarves actually swim without drowning.  I may have to station the military squads in an empty room and then pour a pre-measured volume of water in.  I’ll play with a design and let you know what I come up with. 

@Syntic: A waterfall does clean dwarves off, but interestingly enough, Towersoared dwarves actually keep themselves clean.  Every once in a while I see a dwarf with the “Clean Self” task. 

Also, as promised, here is a selection of the best engravings in your bedroom:

Most of what’s not listed simple drawings of mountains, grime fiends and one of an unidentified forgotten beast.

@dragonshardz: Those are interesting designs, thanks for posting them on Urist Imiknorris’ behalf!  No worries about the funky walls, I see what’s going on there.

@bcd1024: Thanks very much!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 13, 2010, 03:15:10 pm »

I am clean.
They were too scared to be dirty.
Or they followed a role model but I like the other one.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 14, 2010, 04:26:30 pm »

Needs more watervator.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 15, 2010, 10:39:55 am »

Cog’s Journal, 1st of Granit, 314

What a party!  No big announcements this year but I did have the usual architectural drawings.  They detail the purpose of all the completed industrial rooms.  I also point out several times that all the workshops are built out of solid gold blocks, we certainly have enough of that material just from incidental mining.  We could have vast quantities if our miners actually focused on all the veins visible.

The years ledger is particularly exciting as well.  I also had it with me which I suspect sparked the particularly raucous celebration this year.  At this time last year our fortress was estimated to have a value of 6.29 million Urists.  This year, well I’ll let the ledger speak for itself.  I need to get back to sleep.

OOC: The value of Towersoared just keeps flying upwards!  That’s all for today.  I’ve played a month into the New Year and absolutely nothing of interest has occurred so far.  I’m hopeful that statement will jinx the trend a bit.

@dermonster: I think it might be a bit of both.  Plus the fort has been relatively stable for a long time with relatively little death.  Either way, I can’t find a dwarf that has any significant amount of grime of their bodies. 

@breadbocks: All in good time. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:07:03 pm by Battlecat »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2010, 02:21:41 pm »

I am so desperate for an update.  :'(

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 18, 2010, 02:32:08 pm »

I NO RITE!?

DERM DEMANDS AN EXPLANATION.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 18, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

magmaholic launches a BUMP BOMB

I am a Goober.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »

You got ninja'd.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 20, 2010, 08:25:34 pm »

Is there any way to convince a dwarf to hate another dwarf? If so, you could spice things up a bit by getting a small group of dwarf saboteurs put together that hate nearly every dwarf in the fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 20, 2010, 08:55:45 pm »

Does my dorf have a grudge with Syntic?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:52 am »

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Slate, 314

It’s been an incredibly quiet year to date.  Work on installing the windows continues although we keep running out of gems.  I sure hope the next caravan brings a large load. 

Today though, Urist Imiknorris and Pawn’s first son was born.  They already have four daughters as well.  The miners are continuing their work helping the engravers get caught up on the stone smoothing around the core fortress and most other dwarves are still working at hauling thing down to the new fort.  There’s a lot of work to be done.

OOC: Sorry for the delays and the relatively boring update.  Some distractions and RL commitments have made for a busy week.  Also, the fps of my fortress has continued to spiral downwards as one would expect.  It’s taking an hour to get through a month of game time lately, probably as a result of all the dwarves working at hauling stuff from A to B. 

Also, stone is getting out of hand.  I started evaporating Gneiss recently (over 10k) but I still have over 50k stone scattered around.  I’m going to start pitting stuff into magma but it’s a slow job.  Updates won’t be as regular, but rest assured, I won’t be abandoning this!  I might start filling in the gap with reports on what various claimed dwarves have been up to.  Or something along that line.  I’m open to suggestions! 

@Comp112: Here’s a small one for you!  Your dwarf has been working away at cutting trees around his home lately.  He’ll be clearing out the shrubs next before establishing the first few farms.  I expect the other farmers will be stopping in to help him with that. 

@Syntic: I don’t know what determines the relationship between dwarves.  I expect that grudges are formed when some aspect of likes and dislikes clash.  There doesn’t seem to be any way to control that relationship.

@breadbocks: Actually, you’re not even acquainted with Syntic.  I think Martini is just pretending that Syntic doesn’t exist. 
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 118