Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293730 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #375 on: September 24, 2010, 04:50:19 pm »

OHHH! You've got the bottom cavern covered in mud? MASSIVE QUARRY BUSH FARMING OPERATIONS TIME!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 24, 2010, 05:17:05 pm »

Comp's Log

Was thinking today, about the caverns.  I have heard of the dangers down there, I also could have sworn I heard screams, yet it pulls me somehow. I have decided I want to make my life down there. Yet how would I survive?

I could possibly dig out my own little place, or maybe grab some of the stone blocks to build a wall. There are so many in storage, I am sure cog wouldn't mind. What if I find myself attacked? My skills seem rather insufficient. Should I train? Possibly, but it would take much to long. I heard some dogs barking the other day, annoying creatures, I sometimes find them as bad as cats...But maybe, yes I could have sworn I heard of a kennel being built recently. Beast of war, albeit not extremely powerful, they would serve very well as a deterrent and support for me.

What would I do down there? I could farm, but I am not very good at that. I shall discuss what I do with cog, maybe he has some suggestions...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 24, 2010, 05:29:05 pm »

Derm would have loved a forgotten beast bone shield.

e- Idea: Give Comp three war dogs, all male. We don't want them breeding down there, do we?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:31:40 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 24, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Sandstone, 312 

Today was a most excellent day!  I gave the order to throw the switch. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first phase of magma flooding has begun.  It will flow up right to the floodgates just before Urist Imiknorris’ bedroom to start.  Once the area is completely full I’ll open the gate to flood the dining hall magma channels. 

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Sandstone, 312 

Apparently Nish Alilasen, one of our legendary masons was hauling some stone up to the new entrance hall when his face abruptly went white and he charged off towards a
workshop.  I wonder what that was about.

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Sandstone, 312 

Hmmm, Comp came to me with an odd request.  Apparently he’s tired of the company of the other dwarves in the fortress and would like to move down to the first cave level to try and carve out a home of his own.  It’s an odd but interesting request and one that will be a huge challenge for Comp. 

My first instinct was to say no bloody way, but then I thought to myself, if I say no to this, would I be any better than those fools back at mountainhome?  Who am I to stop a dwarf from following their dreams.  So I’ll give in to this request, it doesn't really hurt the fortress at this stage.  But it’s not a free ride.  Here are the conditions I set down:

1: A pick and a battleaxe are at your disposal, as well as a small amount of blocks and mechanisms to use for setting up a secure front door. 
2: As long as you are still working occasionally up in the fortress, our food supplies remain open to you.  If you don’t want to work with the rest of the residents, you’re on your own.
3: I make no guarantees that the fortress will be accessible to you, the gates will be closed if there is a danger to the residents. 
4: Three war dogs seem like a reasonable request, especially since we have a huge number of dogs in the fortress that will be war trained up soon. 

That should suffice.  I think the conditions are reasonably generous. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Sandstone, 312 

Ok, wow, this is pretty impressive.  A door like no other at least in this fortress and worth 154,800 to top things off!

Cog’s Journal, 1st of Timber, 312 

Our fortress stands open to the caves in the deep.  Time for Derm the Soulchopper to go forth and explore!

Events of the 4th of Timber, 312 

Derm breathed deeply of the air of the new cave system.  The air was warm and humid from the mixture of water and magma from the nearby pipe.  The plants here were as alien as the original reports stated.  He could hardly wait to see what wonders there would be hidden down here in the depths.  Hefting his axe, he made his way into the deep jungle of mushrooms and stone. 

OOC: Cave level 3 is officially open and now being explored by the Soulchopper.   

@breadbocks: Yeah I could do that, but it’s a long walk back up to the fortress.  I’m more interested in the trees actually.  They’re very colorful.

@Comp112: Cog’s response is above, we’ll get you set up soon.  I think I've got a couple possibilities for places to set up.  It'll be best if I find you a spot with rock that won't be evaporated on a regular basis. 

Feel free to respond to the conditions, Cog is open to negotiations.  I can set things up so you never go up to the main fortress once your new home is set up if you want.  Additionally, I think it would be easiest if I set your dwarf up in a solo military squad.  At least that way I could give him orders to get to safety if something horrible shows up. 

Btw, I officially renamed your dwarf to Comp instead of Comp112.  I think it flows better.

@Urist Imiknorris: Yeah, that would have been cool, but not at the cost of a huge stack of forgotten beast bones.  Especially when none of the other stuff grabbed seems to stick to the bones.  Good call on Comp’s wardogs, puppies would be a serious problem.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 24, 2010, 08:47:13 pm »

Yay! Hideous beasties here i come! BEWARE! IT HUNGERS FOR MORE!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 24, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »

I see a nice intersection between my idea and Comp's wants. The way the main fort could be accessible to him would be if he tended some of the farms.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 25, 2010, 12:22:19 am »

Hey, Battlecat, what graphics mod do you use?

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 25, 2010, 07:32:49 am »

I see a nice intersection between my idea and Comp's wants. The way the main fort could be accessible to him would be if he tended some of the farms.

Battlecat (I keep wanting to call you cog...) do what will make it easiest for you, without distracting from the main fort. His own little squad, fine by me. Oh, let him still help the main fort too, with so little dwarfpower overall, the fort needs everyone.

Also, that farm idea, fine with it  ;) Id like him to still be useful. Perhaps those farms could stock up emergency supplies? Whatever you decide.

Oh, I was thinking of ways to keep him safe down there, and I think this might work, not quite sure though.

#-#
.* .
.* .
#-#

#=Walls
*=Some kind of trap
.=Open Space
-=Doors

Now, I hope what that would do, is cause any intruder (probably not all) to walk in, trigger the traps, attempt to dodge, then fall down the hole. Not very experienced with these things, but is this sort of contraption viable?

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:48 am »

Kezan's Journal: 1st of Timber, 312

IT is good to see that my design is still being used, albeit modified. i still feel that the caves are a very large threat.... I've been thinking of another way to help increase the lethality... a section that is a magma flood chamber... it might not be easy to make however... this is why i haven't brought it up yet to Cog... i haven't figured out a way to implement it into the current security systems... i saw the deep below... i was twitching like crazy as i set up some of the mechanisms myself... nearly dropped it several times... i could hear all manner of fell noises beyond the thin, but sturdy dwarven walls... Hopefully the killing machine known as Derm, will be able to drive the beasts to their graves, and away.

*there is a sketch of derm, chasing a odd shaped creature, into a pool of magma, and then there is a scene of him laughing as the creature burns.*

Ah, that makes me feel a little better...

anyway, till next i write.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2010, 05:42:57 pm »

The bone shield should, logically, either to to the maker or the hammerdwarf who got the artefact bone hammer. See how good bone artefacts are compared to steel and whatnot, perhaps finally outfit the fellow in full bone regalia if lucky?

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 25, 2010, 07:08:18 pm »

I read half of this story a while ago, so I just got finished reading the whole thing and would like a dwarf.

Name: Glemt

He/she is always lost and has a 30 second attention span.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 25, 2010, 08:03:29 pm »

Journal of Dragonshardz Iklistezefon, Engraver

I've been working on my designs for the helix dome. They are nearly complete, but I am missing some crucial information. I'll have to ask Cog and see if he has the measurements I need...

OOC: Battlecat, how many z-levels is it from the top of the spiral ramp dome to the surface? And could I get a version of the map showing the surface above the ramp's dome on DFMA? Also, the next time you post, could you have my dorf come and ask you bunches of questions about the surface above said dome, and so forth?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 25, 2010, 10:22:05 pm »

Events of the 5th of Timber, 312 

Derm was walking along the shore of a vast underground lake when a sparkle under the water caught his eye. 

This was going to be a bit hard to get too and it would be a huge problem when word of this got back to mountain home.  At least it didn’t look like there was very much, only a small deposit deep under the water which would be impossible to get to. 

Then he walked around the corner and in his torch’s light reflected a glorious sight:

This had to be reported, no doubt about it. 

Cog’s  Journal, 6th of Timber, 312

Unbelievable!  We’ve discovered adamantium in the lowest caves.  Dwarfbane I call it.  Dwarven law dictates that this has to be reported to the royal family.  The penalties for failing to report this discovery would be . . . unpleasant to say the least.  Indeed, unpleasant for everyone who resides here.  With the dwarven caravan due any day now, I’ll have to send word home.  Still, this means that we’ll have nobility descending on our fort like locusts.  Bah! 

On the other hand, the discovery is absolutely amazing but we’ll have to be careful.  There are legends about the dangers of adamantium.  I’m not allowing a single block mined until I have a better feel for the size of the vein and the likelihood that something is lurking inside.  Still, the thought of Derm wielding an adamantium axe warms my heart. 

In other news, according to Derm, we seem to have broken out onto an isolated island in a vast underground lake.  We’ll have to build a bridge across to access more of the cave but in the meantime I’m sending our woodworkers down to cut some of those trees.  Let’s see what kind of wood these plants make. 

I suppose it’s worth celebrating at least a bit.  So let’s throw the switch!

Cog’s  Journal, 8th of Timber, 312

More odd and interesting stuff going on.  First of all, I had a rather interesting encounter with a Dwarf named Glemnt.  He stopped me to ask me a question, got about a third of the way into his question, paused for a moment and then suddenly walked away.  When I asked where he was going, he said there were some rocks that needed hauling.  Hmmm, certainly an interesting one. 

Spoiler: Meet Glemt (click to show/hide)

On another note, Dragonshardz came by my office with some questions regarding his plan for the lighting dome.  Apparently he’s been having some trouble since I didn’t include the entire hillside in my architectural plans in the last few years.  There are 11 floors of stone between the top of the dome.  The point directly above the dome is challenging.

As you can see, the slope is very steep in the area.  I’m leaning towards building the slope up further from here to help integrate Martini’s river idea.  It might make sense since it wouldn’t be very useful if the glass dome is in shadow.  It’s a further 7 or 8 floors up to the point where I’m going to scalp the nearby hilltop down to which might be a good spot for the top of the dome.

I promised Dragonshardz that this fall’s documents would have my full survey of the mountainside. 

OOC: Adamantium!  Praise the Soulchopper!  I think we all saw this coming.  Seriously though, I have no intention of this fortress dying to spoilers from spoiler.  :)  I won’t be mining a single piece of this for a while.   

Also, that is certainly not what the game said but I felt that it was appropriate. 

@dermonster:  Lower caves were a lot more boring than I expected.  Work has begun on a bridge to access the rest.  The next update should make up for it though.

@breadbocks:  Certainly a possibility.

@dragonshardz: It’s the Mike Mayday graphics mod.  Nice a simple.  As for your other request, see above.  I’ll add the rest of the surface layers to the next end of year map upload. 

@Comp112: Heh, that would be confusing.  As for the defenses, traps don’t work so well on Forgotten Beasts and I don’t think I’ve see things dodge traps terribly successfully.  Granted, I haven’t experimented much so I’ll set it up and we’ll see what happens.  Wherever you wind up setting up shop, I’ll make sure you have a drawbridge installed.

@Rivesand: Oh, I’ve got magma traps planned all right.  For your purposes, if you bring it by Cog he will reveal that the current access points to the depths are only temporary.  A much more dramatic stairway is planned (waayyyyyy out there in the future) but it will include full security.  The stairwell doesn’t exist as anything except a scribble right now.  Assume that we’ll either build or carve the necessary space to make the future access fully secure. 

I like the write up btw! 

@ushilzagith: Hmm, the hammerdwarf makes some sense since Derm didn’t claim it.  Full bone regalia would be pretty funny.  Maybe I should give it to Shorast the Unlucky. 

@Svarte Troner: Welcome aboard.  It was a bit hard to find a dwarf that qualified as having a short attention span but the guy mentioned above should work.  I feel that the tendency to do the first thing that comes to mind works.  Currently he’s a hauler, let me know what you want him to be in the future. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 25, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »

Praise the Soulchopper indeed! How far up into the cavern does it go?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2010, 02:05:04 am »

Journal of Catten Ubalmafol

((Hey Battlecat, can you post Catten's skills and relationships?

Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 118