Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293717 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #360 on: September 23, 2010, 07:47:26 pm »

Events of the 28th of Slate, 312

Urist Imiknorris was walking through the dining hall when she was startled by a sudden increase in the sound from one of the channels surrounding her marble statues.  She looked down to see water bubbling upwards from the hole and starting to fill the pond. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Her statues would be safe even from the angriest dwarf surrounded by water like this. 

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Felsite, 312

The Elven caravan arrived today.  Not terribly exciting but it still happened.

It was spotted by one of the odder members of Crew II.  He has taken to calling himself Comp112 for some odd reason and often wanders around outside looking at the hills. 

Spoiler: Comp112 the Hauler (click to show/hide)

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Felsite, 312

No surprise, a goblin ambush showed up.  Fortunately for the elves, they found our cages traps first.  Derm is on the job.   

Events of the, 20th of Felsite, 312

Derm was making his way solo towards where the goblin ambush had arrived at the front gate.  As usual, they were milling about, trying to get organized with their leader now in a cage trap.  As he made his way out the front gate, he stumbled over a kobold thief.  With a  couple quick swings of his axe he made short work out of the thief and moved on.

He continued via his usual shortcut over the green glass roof.  He was quite certain Cog didn’t like them taking this route, but it was faster than going around.  As he came down the other side, he spotted another thief hiding in a bush, a goblin child snatcher this time.  He casually sauntered over as if he hadn’t seen the thief and quickly charged.  The thief didn’t have time to react before Derm was right on top of him removing his limbs.

Then Derm made his way to the gate for the main event.  A squad of goblin macemen were skulking in through the gates.  As usual, they were no match for Derm and his axe.  Tempestchills served him well once again. 

The last goblin was pursing one of the Elven horses.  He chased the goblin down and rapidly chopped the goblin apart, sending a spray of blood over the horse and the Elf leading it.  The Elf looked terrified and grateful at the same time, quite a feat in itself.  Derm wiped the blood of his face and gestured to the gate with his bloody axe, “The trade depot is just inside.  Hurry up before another ambush shows up to finish you off.”  Before the elf could reply, Derm turned and marched back to the fortress.

OOC: Seriously Derm, do you have to chop all their limbs off before killing them?  :)

@breadbocks: The amounts have been noted.  I’ll see about starting the gem work soon.  I’ll be switching to 31.14 as soon as I can  set up the graphics I use and make sure the main utilities I use are working as well.  I’ll give it a few days to make sure no game breaking bugs are discovered.

@Comp112: Thanks and welcome aboard!  Your dwarf is marked above, I selected a hauler that seemed different.  Most of my dwarves are surprisingly clean and well adjusted so the missing front tooth sold it.  He’ll stay on Crew II for now unless you decide on a vocation.  In terms of skills, this particular dwarf has a few rusty medical skills as well as dabbling rank in masonry and furnace operating from jobs I've assigned to his hauling crew. 

I’ll have to see what I can do about setting him up as a hermit.  It depends how brave you are about risking your dwarve’s life to ambushes.  If your prefer I can have him set up shop up the hill once Cog arranges for the rest of the region to be secured which should happen in the next couple years or so.  Or if you're feeling very brave, I'll assign him a pick and he can head out to carve out his own personal space.  All the other miners are assigned to burrows so he would do all the work himself.  But the risk of ambush is also quite high. 

Pump tender in this case would just be keeping an eye on things since the system will be fully powered.  It fits nicely with living up in the hills but the pumps breadbocks is referring to won’t be built for many years yet.  A lot of other things need to be finished first. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:45:49 am by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:58 pm »

I like to see them struggle before the kill >:D

Second cavern progress?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:46 pm »

You should assign some more miners. Like 3 or 4.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:54 pm »

I can just imagine a goblin ambush getting to the front doors, watching a kobold thief go inside before them and turn a corner, hearing it screeching gibberish in obvious surprise, alarm, and pain, and seeing it slam into the other side of the hall with a gaping chest wound.

Then Derm comes out of the side corridor the kobold went into/flew out of.

INSTANT RETREAT.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »

I can just imagine a goblin ambush getting to the front doors, watching a kobold thief go inside before them and turn a corner, hearing it screeching gibberish in obvious surprise, alarm, and pain, and seeing it slam into the other side of the hall with only a chest.

Then Derm comes out of the side corridor the kobold went into/flew out of.

INSTANT RETREAT.
Fix'd.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:49 pm »

Quadruple amputee warning.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 23, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »

I love everything.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:19:08 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 23, 2010, 09:39:38 pm »

OOC: I figure Derm just cuts off the limbs because he's still looking for what part of the body holds the soul, and wants to be sure he doesn't miss it.

Syntic's Journal:

I was sure to inform Cog that it was me that adjusted his door, and apologized for the work he had to go through to get in his office, but assured him that had he not gone through all that work he wouldn't have seen how effective the security system was. I also explained that his papers blowing about had been a feature, as if someone tried to get in the room undetected, it would prove impossible. After I got the door back on the hinges and got him the new key, I showed him how the lock could be put in three states. Locked, Unlocked, and Belled.

If the door is in either the locked or belled date, it will lower the bell down and opening the door will cause a jingle to let him know someone has entered the office. In the belled state though the door it's self isn't locked. I figured it would be handy if he was engrossed in his work and someone came in his office to speak with him.

Also, it seems we already have a repeat offender in the fortress though something strikes me as odd. I don't think that the dwarf had been doing anything on purpose to make anyone angry, and I'm just hoping that Zasit was over reacting. I think I'll keep an eye on Zasit though for a while, and see who all he's been talking to on a regular basis. Speaking of such though, I got to remember to make time to not loose touch with my own acquaintances.

ooc: Yes, Syntic would have destroyed the incorrect advice, likely by burning it then taking the ashes to a magma forge and dropping the ashes in magma. He is after all a member of the Magma Political Party. Magma fixes all. If you think it doesn't then you didn't use enough magma.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone wants to see their dwarfs friends, but I'm interested in seeing who all Syntic's been forming relationships with, as well as the Zasit has been hanging out with. Syntic isn't all that worried about Mebzuth other than making sure he serves his time and it isn't to uncomfortable for him. That's not to say that he's not keeping track of Mebzuth, just that Zasit has made his radar of dwarfs of interest. Also if Zasit has been making any other strange requests like "Don't export booze", Syntic would be keeping an eye out for those things too.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2010, 05:42:45 am »

Comp's Log

Have you ever just been walking around, hauling trash, stone, you know the normal stuff, and then decided you wanted to be more? Well, I didn't. I have decided, in a way, I want to be less. I want to be a hermit. In a way, I find it less considering I will not be helping my fellow dwarf, but I find it more due to the danger and possibility of death. I must make a name for myself

Scratch that last part. Anyway, come to think of it, why do I write this? Who would be reading my personal log but me? Guess I do it for sanity sake, I just cannot help but feel somebody is watching me. Note to self, if I go through with the hermit thing, bring some spare traps.

OOC: How was that for a first log? I sorta like it, meh it will get better over time. So, I have decided to become a hermit, but cannot decide on when. Trying to remember the map, but I think the ambushes come from the eastern side, correct? Isn't there a western mountain or high point? I figure if I must, I can hunker down over there.

Thinking on defenses, he could dig himself in, then somehow collapse the entrance but that would be to time consuming for you. Well, whatever you decide to do. I figured this would add a bit more 'spice' so to say to the story. Oh, and the crossing out part of the journal, I figured that could be like him scribbling something out he did not like, or did not want someone else to read.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2010, 11:32:41 am »

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Felsite, 312

Today Tin Reaper finally got good enough at using the catapult to be officially considered a siege operator. 

I offered him my congratulations and asked him to keep up the good work.  He’s doing a fine job of pulverizing excess stone and gaining a useful skill at the same time.

On another note, construction is well underway for our second magma tap.  This time we’ll be pressurizing the magma to improve flow rates.  The distance to the dining hall is quite long and this system will also eventually supply magma to our new forges.

I’ll be adding several points where the magma system can be easily tapped for future expansion using preconstructed floodgates.  My designs call for lots of use of magma for decorative purposes and there will be a lot of convenient tapping points for garbage disposal. 

On another unrelated note, Martini suggested that we could use some more miners to get the projects moving faster.  I agree entirely and dissolved one of the hauling crews.  Two new miners have been assigned to each burrow from that crew.  It’ll take them some time to get up to speed but it should help.

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Hematite, 312 

I think a lot of  dwarves are breathing sighs of relief today.  Apparently many residents don’t entirely understand water pressure and were convinced that our dining hall was going to flood.  But now that the channels are full, I think everyone is convinced that our fine dining hall isn’t going to drown.  I’ve ordered the gates to fill the hospital cistern opened.  I’ll be decommissioning the upstairs well as soon as our new one is full. 

I decided to install a selection of the cinnabar statues at one end of the dining hall.  We produced so many of them when working on Derm’s request; it seems a shame not to use them. 

Also, since one crew of miners is between jobs, I’ve given the orders for them to carve another 800 unit power plant adjacent to our original facility.  I have a feeling we’ll need more power in the future.

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Malachite, 312 

We’ve made a discovery that should absolutely thrill Derm the Soulchopper.

At Depth 0 we have the ground level of our main fortress, everyone knows that, it’s the ground floor. 

At 18 floors below ground we have the ground floor of the dining hall. 

At 51 floors below ground we have the first cave system we discovered many years ago now. 

Our miners have been working very hard of late.  At a depth of 110 floors below the surface our miners have made some discoveries. 

I know Derm is itching to get exploring, but first I’ll have our miners and mechanics get things set up securely.  Wouldn’t want any nasty beasts getting in here.  But our miners did sketch a picture of the vista they spotted.  I’ve only heard about some of these plants in legend, they certainly don’t have them back at Mountainhome.

The magma pool is an incredible touch and the miners think that the pool might be connected to the very sea of magma that churns below. 

It’s a long enough walk I think I might have to establish a food and drink supply down there as well.   

OOC: I’m pretty sure there are three cave layers on this map but I have no idea if this is the second or third layer.  I suspect it’s the third though. 

@dermonster: You certainly do like to be thorough!  I think this update should answer your question regarding the caves.  The miners are already preparing to dig out the defensive front line.  They’re a lot deeper than I expected. 

@breadbocks:  Good call on increasing the mining workfroce.  I’ve added two to each mining crew although they won't be a huge help for quite some time.  There is simply so much to do.  I really need to get the new central fortress started before I do any more surface projects.  Except for expanding the wall.  That will come soon.

@Urist Imiknorris: :)  Yeah that about covers it.

@Syntic: Syntic is always so busy working he never seems to make any friends.  You’ve got 8 passing acquaintances, including the Armorsmith who just went into prison. 

Zasit on the other hand was a child in the fortress for many years and made friend with a huge number of people.  That’s why he was elected as soon as he came of age.  In terms of claimed dwarves, Zasit is friends with Rogue, Catten, Scaraban, Dragonshardz and Adker.  He's an acquaintance with nearly everyone else.  Oddly enough, he’s also friends with the Armorsmith he just put in prison. 

@Comp112: No worries, it reads fine.  Takes practice after all.  Ambushes come from pretty much every possible direction; they just tend to be detected once they arrive at the fortress gate.   As for the setup, it depends how much of a hermit you want him to be.  I could collapse him into his own little space, but it might be good to make sure he’s got a supply of food and water before that happens.  The surface is pretty barren and inhospitable; setting up a hermit home there won’t really be feasible until I bring water to the surface. 

One possibility is for him to set up shop in the first cave instead.  Easier to get water and food there and it’s not much more dangerous.  Well except for forgotten beasts, but a small personal drawbridge will solve that problem easily enough.  Lots of nooks he could carve out a little home in. 

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2010, 12:51:16 pm »

OOC:

Great idea! Put him in the caverns, and do with him what you like. I just had a funny thought, of him being in the caverns, just smoothing everything he can, but then it would probably be hard to keep him out of danger. If that idea is used, possibly assign one or two war animals to him for protection?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2010, 02:34:22 pm »

depends on the cavern whether or not u can smooth it, i had an all soil cavern once evn the walls, it was odd
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:35 pm »

That's the third cavern. I can tell from the nether-caps and blood thorns, and the lack of tower-caps and fungiwoods.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 24, 2010, 03:55:13 pm »

@Syntic: Syntic is always so busy working he never seems to make any friends.  You’ve got 8 passing acquaintances, including the Armorsmith who just went into prison. 

Zasit on the other hand was a child in the fortress for many years and made friend with a huge number of people.  That’s why he was elected as soon as he came of age.  In terms of claimed dwarves, Zasit is friends with Rogue, Catten, Scaraban, Dragonshardz and Adker.  He's an acquaintance with nearly everyone else.  Oddly enough, he’s also friends with the Armorsmith he just put in prison. 
You’ve got 8 passing acquaintances, including the Armorsmith who just went into prison. 
GASP! Syntic is making friends with prisoners. Why though? Why would he need to be friends with a prisoner... unless...
Martini begins furiously scribbling on a piece of paper.

OOC: More evidence against Syntic. Pretty soon Martini'll have enough to finally get the spy that Syntic is ejected from his seat of power. (Just so you know, I vote the Mooch as new captain of the guard.)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 24, 2010, 04:43:43 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Malachite, 312 

Today I tracked down Dodok Amnish.  He arrived as an animal trainer but at the time there wasn’t any particular demand for his skills.  However, I realized recently that we have a large number of untamed animals in cages in our stockpiles.  I’ve asked him to set up a kennel to train up some war dogs and tame the caged animals around our fortress.

I thought the poor fellow was going to cry, he was just so happy to have the chance to work with animals again. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Malachite, 312 

Today Asmel Linemmmorul the Hammerdwarf started babbling on his way to training.  He charged straight off to a craft shop and immediately started screaming about body parts.  I’ve asked the butcher to carve up a few horses.  It’ll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Cog’s Journal, 23th of Malachite, 312 

Hmmm, not terribly exciting but it is good quality at least. 

I wonder if any active military members will want to use it. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Galena, 312 

The human caravan arrived today.  As usual, I’ve dispatched Derm and his axedwarves to meet the just in case of trouble.

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Limestone, 312 

As has often been the case recently, the humans didn’t bring much useful stuff.  They stopped bringing wood for some reason.  I asked them once again why the human kingdoms haven’t sent a trade liaison.  They just shrugged as usual. 

On a more important note, a tunnel connecting the dining hall to the entrance stairwell has been completed.  This should increase the efficiency of mining and smoothing operations immensely!  Soon the first hall of our core fortress will be carved.  Even better, this first hall will be the home of our new trading depot.  I won’t build it until we’re ready though; need to make sure a couple other things are done first. I wouldn’t want the new entrance hall to make a wrong first impression on the mountainhome liaison when he arrives next year. 

I think I can have the new entrance open for next year. 

OOC: It’s a shame that bone artifacts are still glitchy.  At least I’ve protected the forgotten beast bones from misuse. 

@Comp112: Ok, I really like that idea.  I’ve got tons of dogs, and ironically enough I just started training up some war animals as mentioned above.  I’ll put a few extra dogs on the list.  I really like the idea of him just quietly smoothing away in the caves.  I’ll see about getting your dwarf set up in the new year.  We’ll just say that he’s scouting things out for the moment. 

@Scaraban: That is very odd.  I seem to have lots of muddy stone floors so it shouldn’t be a problem.

@Ursit Imiknorris: Nifty!

@breadbocks:  Heh, should be interesting.  Of course, it’s rather hard to avoid getting acquainted with somebody when you’ve arrested them twice.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:48:09 am by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 118