Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293711 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2010, 02:28:55 pm »

Just lock him in his room with a small food and booze pile until he's done.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »

Journal of Dragonshardz Iklistzefon, Engraver

I've been quite busy lately engraving the Entrance Hall and the Grand Dining Hall. It's quite a bit of work, as there's a lot of space to cover. I do hope that the rest of the hall is cleared out soon, as it's a royal pain in the ass to engrave the walls while standing on raw stone. In my (rather small amount of) spare time, I've been dabbling in Architecture, and had somewhat of an epiphany regarding the Great Ramp. Though the dome over the ramp, encased in the surrounding stone is rather nice, I find the area to be a bit dark. I noticed that the top of the dome is unsmoothed, and ends quite a few layers below the top of the mountain. I propose that we dig a great shaft out to the top of the mountain, smooth it to a mirror-like finish, and build a second, smaller dome of clear glass over the shaft. The smoothed walls will reflect light down into the great dome, and we could even install a stained glass floor at the point where the dome currently ends, perhaps with light shafts to bounce untinted light into the dome.

Perhaps I should bring this up to Cog; I seem to recall the good fellow stating that any suggestions that would add to the glory and beauty of Towersoared are more than welcome.

OOC: Basically, a gigantic skylight lined with metal walls, say silver or another rather reflective material. I'll post a design soon. Also, if it's not activated already, could you enable Architecture on my dorf?

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »

Journal of Tinreaper.

Damn it, how do i get stuck into these situations. I make a passing mention about how a catapault or ballista set up within the tunnel could of killed the beast a lot more efficently, and now some how i have been tasked with creating the blasted things.

I have now been made the fortesses siege engineer and tasked with drawing up some plans...

I wonder if dragonshardz has seen my sword, he recently done a nice engraving with a sword, must of gotten insperation from mine.

#OOC
Tinreaper is adement he brought a sword with him when he migrated to Towersoared. No other dwarf has ever seen this sword or seen tinreaper carrying one.

He will be asking many dorfs if they have have seen his sword.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Timber, 311

Wow, talk about following in the family tradition.  Dishmab Logemalnis, the child of Rith Duraldomas our legendary stonecrafter was quietly inspired recently.  He secretly created an incredible stone figurine over the past few weeks. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I love the imagery!  He’ll be following in his mothers footsteps when he grows up, no doubt about it. 

Events of the 17th of Timber, 311

Sigun Iklistkeskal, the latest outpost liaison to be dispatched to Towersoared was dreading this meeting.  Every single liaison to attend Towersoared was inevitably reassigned to some location far away by the nobility after their visit.  The now 10 year old fortress was being watched very carefully by the nobility, and yet hardly anything was known about it.  Rumors of the great wealth and wondrous architecture in Towersoared were rapidly squelched and all requests to emigrate were denied. 

According to his boss, Cog was a subversive trying to undermine the authority of the king and mountainhome.  Sigun was under strict orders to find evidence of Cog’s wrongdoing so he could be stripped of his title and removed from control over his fortress.  As he approached the fortress across the desert, the glass dome was a hard feature to miss.  It soared over 10 stories above the desert.  A simple wall with a wide open gate blocked the entrance. 

As he approached, he saw some movement.  5 heavily armed and armored dwarves in shining steel walked out of the gates.  The leader greeted him tersely.  “You’d be the latest liaison.  Our mayor is waiting inside to meet with you.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a caravan to check on.”  And with that, the squad walked past him towards where the caravan was approaching the fort. 

The dwarves mostly ignored him as he approached the gates.  He heard several muttered comments about a new dining hall and that some more space had been cleared of rocks over the past few months.  Sigun snorted, these dwarves must be awfully lazy if it took several months to clear a few rocks from a dining hall. 

Inside, there was a steady stream of dwarves carrying crates of masterwork crafts up to the trade depot.  It appeared that the rumors were true, Towersoared boasted excellent wealth.  Still, the fort wasn’t all that impressive.  Sand floors and overcrowded storage rooms were everywhere suggesting that Cog hadn’t put a lot of work into the area.  What had they been up to for the past 9 and a half years?

Part of his answer came as he rounded the corner, following the steady stream of dwarves.  A wide elegant stairwell greeted him, with a deep channel in the middle, a 17 floor deep channel leading right down to a hive of activity.  He could hear the sounds of busy stoneworkers below.  He made his way downstairs and at the bottom of stairs found a mad house.  Masons were running everywhere carrying stones.  Workshops were overflowing with stone blocks.  Right by the stairwell he found a young dwarf in mayors robes working on carefully and inexpertly shaping a block of stone.  As Sigun approached, the dwarf looked up with a smile. “Ahh, there you are.  I’m Zasit, the Mayor.  I’m just done here; let’s grab a drink before starting negotiations.” 

He promptly got up, and walked through a pair of marble doors.  Sigun walked through behind him and promptly stopped dead in awe.  The smooth floor of the cavernous room was littered deep with rocks.  At the far end of the room a suite of gold and silver furniture shone in the sun.  Almost 20 floors above, the green glass roof glittered in the sun, shedding light down into the depths.  It must have taken most of the past 9 years to carve this place. 

Zasit looked at him slyly.  “Welcome to our humble dining hall, if you’ll just follow me, I’ll pick something out to quench your thirst before we get started.”  Silently, Sigun followed.  How on earth was he going to describe this place to the nobles at mountain home without losing his job?  This one single room was grander than anything in the mountain home and it wasn't even done yet! 

OOC: Sorry for the long block of text, I was feeling creative today.  I’ve got more but I won’t be posting it until tomorrow.  Later all!

@Urist Imiknorriss: That would certainly do the trick!  Actually that might be the easiest solution. 

@dragonzhardz:  I like that idea a lot!  I certainly can get my hands on a lot of silver.  I’ve been stumbling across veins left right and center lately.  There was also a suggestion by Syntic about creating a waterfall from the top of the dome's center.  Any thoughts on combining the two, maybe a clear glass supply line out to the middle.  The water could create interesting patterns when being refracted by the sun.  Official response will come with the plans.  I’d plan on it being about the size of the top of the dome.  There will be mirrored surfaces at the bottom of the shaft once excavation is completed as well.  I’ve got décor plans down there. 

@TinReaper: Careful what you ask about, you might just get volunteered!  :)   Should be interesting.  I’ll have Tin Reapers siege workshop set up come the New Year. 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »

I'm liking this . How's your throne coming? I expect at least 75 bones, 30 gems, and 45 pieces of metal on it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2010, 07:55:19 pm »

So now we know the canon reason for the lack of migrants.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »

Plans are pretty simple, just dig a shaft as big around as the top level of the dome up to the surface and then build a clear glass dome over said shaft. And as for the waterfall idea, I like it a lot.

I'll get to work on some official plans.

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2010, 09:53:14 pm »

Tin reaper's Journel Entry #2

Success!

After seeing the Mayor and human diplomat get into a heated agument about the prices of something or another, he slamed his hand down onto his spoon. this sent the contents rocketing accross the dining room! That gave me an idea!

So i ran some test experiments with my own dwarven syrup roast. by the end of the evening i was successfully rocketing the roast accross the room and nearly hit Derm on one occasion.

With the experiments complete, i upscaled the designs 1000 fold!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it is shear genius! A big rock goes on the scoopy end, i jump on the other... what could be more perfect!

i will need to show these designs around. but first i seemed to of misplaced my sword, i think i saw it near syntic when he was eating dinner. i'll have to ask.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:56:14 pm by TinReaper »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2010, 10:13:41 pm »

I think we should put a giant waterfall running from the top of the mountain down. We have a dwarf-made spring at the top filled by a pump, then a channel down the side, ending in a straight drop over the entrance's sides.

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:16 pm »

I think we should put a giant waterfall running from the top of the mountain down. We have a dwarf-made spring at the top filled by a pump, then a channel down the side, ending in a straight drop over the entrance's sides.

by water, i assume you mean magma?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2010, 11:23:59 pm »

Water on one side, magma on the other.

TinReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »

Brilliant!

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:26 am »

#OOC
Tinreaper is adement he brought a sword with him when he migrated to Towersoared. No other dwarf has ever seen this sword or seen tinreaper carrying one.

He will be asking many dorfs if they have have seen his sword.

if I looking for sword
him name is hopkin shiny sword
I lost my sword
Love, Tin Reaper
P.S. I'll find my sword

Seriously, though, I'm digging the journal entries.  The catapult plans had me in stitches.

Battlecat, can I be dorfed?  I'd like one of the next wave of migrants, if you ever get any more.  I know it won't be for a while, but that's cool.  Anyone will do.  Towersoared has inspired me to do a megaproject - an apartment building for my dwarfs.  10 suites to a level (bedroom, dining room, and a pantry for food and drink), with 20 levels.  On top of that will be several penthouse levels for my nobles.  Aboveground.  Aesthetically, I'm not sure how it will be designed yet, but it'll have windows.

Can't wait for more entries!  They're really good, and getting better as you go, too.

-C

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:38 am »

How about two streams of both? Water on the inside, lava on the outside. Thus, in the event of an accident, the lava would not get at our dwarves.

(If you have our dorfs discussing this, I would prefer Adker's wife or kids being the ones to suggest this.)

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:04 am »

Journal of Adker Rithasas, Marksdwarf. 30th of Slate:

12th of Malachite, 311
We have a new mayor, Zasit Bibanedem is anoter one of Vucar and Asmel's kids.  He's still very young and I don't know why he was voted mayor but he's a nice kid so maybe he'll do OK.

3rd of Galena
There was another giant! Derm just killed him tho. I think I heard some hammerdwarfs grumbling that they are totally over shadowd by the axe guys.
Also, there's two more dwarfs who took some human languag names. They sound kind of funny, I think it's Dinriipa and Ragnsars but I really don't know for sure. I kind of wonder if I should make my name sound all human-y, maybe it's a fashion? Mr Cog's name is also supposed to be in humany but its nice and easy.

16th of Limestone
Mr Cog said got the water reactor to work! Actually it was a tanner called Bomek who started the reactor, but Mr Cog is the arkitekt. I thought a lot about the names and decided that good old dwarf names are best and am going to call little Tulon Adnil from now on. Or maybe I will call her Osodnil because that will be less about me and more about what she made. I wonder if I should tell Mr Cog?

14th of Timber

It seems every kid is trying to outdo my Tulon Osodnil. Rith Duraldomas's kid Dishmab made a little stone statue-thing that is really impressive and has lots of ingravings. I cheerd Osodnil up by telling her that she made a really important thing since the hammer actually went to the military. I hope it gets used soon and is really good. And I will go and tell Mr Cog that my little girl's name should be Osodnil. My wife says that that this is not very nice since I kind of named her after one thing she did, but maybe this is for the good.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 118